enter name and hit return
The Brooklyn Standard Union
17 January 1926 Sunday
Gone, But Not Forgotten, Are the Old Saloons After Six Years of Prohibition
Six years ago yesterday drinking saloons were outlawed by the law of
the nation. Already, in January, 1920, war-time prohibition had laid a hand
on the refreshment places, and they had begun to fade away, but because that
act was not permanent and because no serious effort was made to enforce it,
there was no appreciable decline in the number of bars and 'back rooms of
When, on Jan. 16, 1920, the Eighteenth Amendment went into effect, the
passing of the old-fashioned saloons really commenced.
To-day, six years later, several thousand of these historic haunts have
disappeared. A survey of portions of Brooklyn shows that they have been
converted into almost every imaginable form of substitute. Restaurants and
cigar stores predominate, but there are on the list butchers, grocers,
druggists, realty dealers, florists, electricians, clothiers, automobile
dealers and many other varieties of establishments.
The following is the result of this partial survey of Brooklyn premises
occupied by bar-rooms and other drinking places well remembered by the
thirsty of the previous decade. The list takes no account of places that
are still operating as thirst parlors or of the smaller number that have
been padlocked for violations.
Ormonde Café and Boemmermann’s Bar, Fulton street at Nostrand avenue,
now an armchair lunchroom and cigar store.
Reiner’s, Fulton street and Kingston avenue, a drug store.
Somerville’s, 144th Fulton street, a James Butler grocery store.
Laydon’s, Fulton street and Albany avenue, a butcher shop.
Rochford’s, Fulton street and Rockaway avenue, a drug store.
Thuman’s, Fulton street and Sumner avenue, an ice cream store.
Lynch’s, Fulton street and Rockaway avenue, a clothing store.
Kressly’s, Rockaway avenue and Somers street, Security State bank.
Schweickert’s, Broadway and Halsey street, a drug store.
Heissenbuttel’s, Halsey street and Broadway, a florist’s store.
Rhodes, Hopkinson avenue and Broadway, a cigar store.
Ahern’s, Alabama avenue and Fulton street, a United cigar store.
Faber’s, Broadway and Chauncey street, now an ice cream store:
the old bar is used as counter.
Fulton Cafe, Fulton street and Utica avenue, a second hand furniture store.
Cook’s, Fulton street and Saratoga avenue, an ice cream store.
Lemaire’s, Broadway and Gates avenue, a cigar store and haberdashery.
Minden’s Café, Broadway and Myrtle avenue, now a United Cigar store.
Quinn’s, Broadway and Atlantic avenue, an Italian butcher shop.
Ernest Bertram’s, Gates and Nostrand avenues, an ice cream shop.
Ostendorf Brother’s, 491 Gates avenue, a barber shop.
Mulrennan’s, Gates and Throop avenues, a restaurant.
Campbell’s, Gates and Tompkins avenues, a drug store.
Neinstadt’s, Gates and Tompkins avenues, a restaurant.
Fleming’s, Albany avenue and Park place, a real estate office.
Molloy Brother’s, Fulton street and Rockaway avenue, a dry goods store.
Craven’s, St. Johns place and Trey avenue, a woman’s wear establishment.
Shaughnessy’s, Trey avenue and Bergen street, an Italian grocery store.
Murphy’s, Trey and St. Marks avenues, a butcher shop.
Donlin’s, Prospect place and Schenectady avenue, a grocery store.
Hullman’s, Ralph and St. Marks avenues, a paint shop.
Goldsmith’s, 2176 Fulton street, a leather finding shop.
Ryan’s café, Kingston and Atlantic avenues, a cigar store.
Henry Behren’s, Atlantic and Nostrand avenues, now an electrical store.
Cooney’s, Buffalo avenue and Sterling place, delicatessen store.
Eckelcamp café, Atlantic and Brooklyn avenues, a grocery store.
Murphy’s café, Union street and Nostrand avenue, a grocery store.
Langfield’s, Nostrand avenue and Carroll street, a grocery store.
Hugh Winter’s café, Nostrand and Myrtle avenues, a restaurant.
Burn’s café, Myrtle and Lewis avenues, a wholesale grocery store.
Smith’s, Bergen street and Albany avenue, a Roulston grocery store.
Schumm’s, Fulton street opposite Borough Hall, hat shop.
The Assembly Café, Fulton street, opposite Johnson, a quick lunch restaurant.
'Bobby Dixon’s, Washington and Johnson streets, also a restaurant.
'Heffernan’s, Court street near Jorlamon, has been torn down to make room
for the new Municipal Building.
The 'Triangle, Fulton and Washington streets, a Schulte cigar store.
Lemmerman’s, Myrtle avenue and Fulton street, Haberdashery and orange juice stand.
'Jim Browne’s, Myrtle avenue and Adams street, candy store.
Ehler’s, Washington and Tillary streets, part of postoffice addition.
McLaughlin’s, Washington street, opposite postoffice, furniture warehouse.
Vanderveer’s Hotel, Surf avenue and West Fifth street; Chinese restaurant,
Prospect Hotel, Surf avenue and West Sixth street; moving pictures.
Albemarle Hotel, Surf avenue; demolished and a scenic ride in operation.
Sagamore Hotel, Surf avenue and West Eighth street; furnished room house
Dicker’s Hotel, Surf avenue and West Eighth street; cigar store, furnished
room house and concessions.
Weisberger’s Hotel, Surf avenue near West Eighth street; amusement ride.
Stubenbord’s Hotel, Surf avenue and West Eighth street; demolished.
Kister’s Hotel, Surf avenue and West Tenth street; concessions.
Strube’s Hotel, Surf avenue and West Twelfth street, penny arcade.
Assembly Hotel, Surf avenue and Jones’ walk; cigars and concessions.
Wilson and Kojan’s, Surf avenue and West Twelfth street; Childs Restaurant.
Conners Concert Hall, Bowery and West Twelfth street; concessions.
Greunwald’s Concert Hall, Bowery; concessions.
Koster’s Concert Hall, Bowery; concessions.
Boston Hotel, Surf avenue and West Twelfth street; moving pictures.
Mardi Gras Hotel, Surf avenue and West Thirteenth street; moving pictures.
Henderson’s Hotel and Music Hall; demolished.
Indiana House, Surf and Stillwell avenues; Loew’s Coney Island Theatre.
Capital Hotel, Surf avenue and West Fifteenth street; restaurant.
Buser’s, Sheepshead Bay road and West Fifth street; second hand furniture.
Wolfram’s Hotel, Sheepshead Bay road and West Fifth street; demolished.
Seyfried’s Hotel, Sheepshead Bay road and Ocean Parkway; gasoline station.
Saloon, Ocean Parkway and Neptune avenue, pool parlor.
Gallagher’s Hotel, Neptune avenue and West Second street, restaurant.
London’s Hotel, Neptune avenue and West Third street, glazier.
Atlantic Hotel, Ocean Parkway, Coney Island, furnished rooms.
Brighton Beach Hotel, Brighton Beach,; demolished.
Kreyer’s Hotel, Kings Highway and Coney Island avenue, demolished and
up-to-date stores substituted.
Kennedy’s Hotel, Kings Highway and East Fourteenth street, real estate.
Bamberger’s Hotel, Kings Highway and East Fifteenth street, real estate.
Schindelback’s Hotel, Gravesend avenue and Avenue U, groceries and fruit.
Neck Road Hotel, Neck road and Coney Island avenue, residence.
Saloon, East Fourteenth street and Shore road, real estate & automobile station.
Carl’s Hotel, Shore road and Brighten Beach line, B-M. T., delicatessen.
Saloon, Shore road and East Sixteenth street, demolished and stores constructed.
Clarke’s Hotel, Shore road and Jerome avenue, dress goods.
Bay View Hotel, Shore road and Emmons avenue, empty.
Dominick’s, Shore road and Emmons avenue, empty.
White House Hotel, Emmons avenue and Ocean avenue, stores.
Osborn House, Emmons avenue, near Ocean avenue, stores.
Dunne’s Hotel, Emmons avenue and East Twenty-first street, restaurant.
Saloon, East Twenty-third street and Voorhies avenue, restaurant.
Hotel Jerome, Ocean and Jerome avenue, restaurant and clubrooms of Bill
Brown Post, American Legion.
On the Bowery and adjoining sidewalks at Coney Island before prohibition
several establishments were operated as saloons during the summer months.
All of these places have been renovated into various concessions. Along the
beach front most of the bathing pavilions in the days prior to the
Eighteenth Amendment had bars attached to their establishments. Since that
period several of the bathhouse proprietors have torn out the bar equipment
and rented the space, while others still have the old bards and sell nothing
but soft drinks and conduct lunchroom accommodations.
Yockel’s Hotel, West Eighth street near Surf avenue, restaurant.
Saloon, Eighteenth avenue and Fifty-fifth street, bakery.
Saloon, Eighteenth avenue and Eighty-sixth street, automobile sales room.
Saloon, Bath avenue and Bay Nineteenth street, vegetable store.
Mitchell’s Hotel, Bay Nineteenth street and Bath avenue, vacant.
Saloon, Bay Twentieth street and Bath avenue, factory.
Saloon, Bath and Nineteenth avenues, lunchroom.
Belmont Mansion, Bath avenue and Bay Twenty-second street, now remodeled
Colonial mansion with ballroom and meeting halls, with stores on ground floor.
Ulmer Park Casino, Twenty-fifth and Harway avenues, closed.
Coakley’s Hotel, Cropsey and Twenty-fifth avenues, demolished.
Fort Lowery Hotel, foot of Seventeenth avenue, navel headquarters during
the war, now a furnished room house.
Kennedy’s café, 721 Fifth avenue, unoccupied.
Thiel’s café, 4801 Fifth avenue, unoccupied.
Prospect café, 594 Fourth avenue, vacant.
Rudolph’s, 1629 Bath avenue, restaurant.
Sullivan’s, 1926 Fifth avenue, grocery.
Ridge café, 6824 Fifth avenue, stationary.
Old saloon at 6902 Fifth avenue, men’s furnishings.
Transfer café, 888 Fifth avenue, ice cream.
Standard Hotel, 3901 New Utrecht avenue, furniture.
Bath café, 1817 Bath avenue, meat market.
Fieken’s, 5801 Fourth avenue, restaurant.
Slattery’s, 4901 Fifth avenue, restaurant.
Duffy’s, 6901 Fort Hamilton Parkway, ice cream store.
Kelly’s, 5523 Fifth avenue, sporting goods.
Cunlon’s, 5623 Fifth avenue, florist.
Larkin’s, 484 Sixtieth street, ice cream store.
Davern’s café, 5401 Fifth avenue, hardware.
Krudop’s, 4423 Fifth avenue, restaurant.
Bamberger’s, 475 Sixth avenue, laundry.
Old saloon at 476 Sixth avenue, ice cream store.
Old saloon at 3901 Fifth avenue, cigars.
Golden’s, Fifth avenue and Tenth street, men’s clothing.
Byrne’s café, 898 Fourth avenue, vacant.
Bahr’s café, 439 Fifth avenue, cigars.
Southeast corner Grand avenue and Park place, florist.
Southwest corner Washington avenue and St. Marks, pocket billiards.
A haberdashery store occupies the premises formerly Charles Wand’s at
Fresh Pond road and Cornelia street.
Rudolph Wenzel’s, Myrtle avenue, Broadway and Jefferson street, now the
salesroom of a furniture concern.
Rudolph Gebig’s, Myrtle and Wilson avenues, fruit and vegetable store.
Weissmantel’s, Myrtle avenue and Fresh Pond road, automobile salesroom.
Charles Schwab’s, Fresh Pond road and Foxall street, grocery store.
Joe Benziger’s, Catalpa and Buchman avenues, knitting mill.
Ridgewood Rest. Myrtle and Cypress avenues, clothing store.
Charles Marquart’s, Myrtle and Buchman avenues, automobile shop.
Unity Hall, formerly the rendezvous of politicians in the
Ridgewood-Glendale sections, is now an electrical supply store.
Ridgewood Municipal Court, Halleck avenue and Fresh Pond road, formerly
housed a café.
At Havemeyer and South Fifth streets is a men’s furnishing store.
The southwest corner of Broadway and Havemeyer street is being conducted as
a hat store.
At South Fourth and Havemeyer streets is a restaurant.
The site of the saloon that was located at South Fourth street, between
Havemeyer and Roebling streets, the rendezvous of many active men of the
eastern District, is now a real estate office.
One of the most prominent drinking corners in the Eastern District was at
Roebling street and Broadway. This saloon went out when prohibition
entered and has been occupied as a pawnshop, the owner of which is about to
The famous Court café, Driggs avenue and Broadway, is now a haberdashery.
The saloon that was once at Bedford avenue and Grand street, southwest
corner, is now a branch store of the United Cigar Company.
For years the corner of Greenpoint and Manhattan avenues was the meeting
place if the accomplished drinkers of the section. It is occupied by a
branch store of the United Cigar Company.
At Nassau and Manhattan avenyes is a haberdashery.
At Bedford and Manhattan avenues is a restaurant.
The Busy Corner, as it was referred to in the old days, Leonard street and
Nassau avenue, is now a butter and egg store.
Transcribed by Maureen McConnell-Wanless
Back To BUSINESS Main
Return to BROOKLYN Info Main Page