Sailor's Snug Harbor Cemetery
The following is the entry for Sailor’s Snug Harbor from
The Graveyard Shift: A Family Historian’s Guide to New York City Cemeteries,
by Carolee Inskeep.
Category: Institutional, Seamen
Years of Use: 1834 to 1976
Location: Prospect Avenue and Caldera Place, Livingston, Staten Island.
History: Sailor’s Snug Harbor was created in 1801 by the will of Captain
Robert Richard Randall as a "home for retired, native-born sailors who
served at least five years aboard a vessel flying the American flag."
The Staten Island site opened in 1833 with twenty sailors. It later housed as
many as 1,000 retirees at a time. In 1976, Sailor’s Snug Harbor closed its
Staten Island facility, sold the property to the City of New York, and
reopened its doors in North Carolina. It retained ownership of the cemetery,
and the older gravestones were put into storage.
The Snug Harbor Cultural Center currently occupies the remaining property.
It is home to the Staten Island Botanical Garden, the Staten Island
Children’s Museum, and independent arts organizations.
Sailor’s Snug Harbor
P.O. Box 150
Sealevel, North Carolina, 28577-0150
Records: Sailor’s Snug Harbor maintains the cemetery records and will
search them upon request. Researchers should also check the
Staten Island RootsWeb page on the Internet to see if this cemetery
has been added to its cemetery database.
Resources: Friends of Abandoned Cemeteries of Staten Island (FACSI) has a
blueprint of the cemetery. The graves are numbered; the blueprint shows
the location of the number. FACSI can be reached at 140 Tysen Street,
Staten Island, NY 10301-1120.
Lane, Doris. "By Will of a Sea Captain: Sailor’s Snug Harbor Cemetery,"
The FACSI Newsletter, vol. 15, issue 3 (Fall 1998). (history of cemetery;
profile of David Jeremiah Hubbard)
For history on the Sailor's Snug Harbor Home
Back to CEMETERY INDEX
Back to BROOKLYN Page Main