enter name and hit return
Find in Page
1 February 1909
Brooklyn Daily Eagle
Surrogate's Court
Calendar Tuesday, before Surrogate Herbert T KETHCAM - 

The will of -
Maria SAUER, 
Thomas MURRAY; 
the administration of Jennie LOWENTHAL; 
the accounting of Louisa M STOECK; 
the estate of Thomas KEPPEL, 
Dusenberg Infants, 
Young Infants 
Peter McSTAY.
Contested Calendar - the will of Richard BURCHELL.

4 February 1909
The following wills were filed, from noon, yesterday to noon,today:

Margaret EPPIG, giving the sum of $2,000 to her executors John 
A EPPIG, Henry EPPIG and Egina H EPPIG*, to be used for masses
for the repose of her soul, and an additional $500 for the repose 
of the souls of her deceased parents; to her son Frank L 
EPPIG, and her daugher Regina, her household and personal effects; 
the residuary estate being given to the executors, in trust, to pay 
the net income to the daughter Margaret C EPPIG, during her life, 
with remainder, upon her death, to her other children, in equal shares.

Charles M JACOBSON, giving to his niece, Helen COHN, his shares of 
stock in the People's Trust Company of Baltimore MD; to his brother 
Moris JACOVSON, his household and personal effects and his insurance 
policies and after a number of minor bequests, the residue of his 
property to his nieces Helen, Mollie and Nellie J COHN.  Morris JACOBSON 
and William E DORMITZER, executors.

Samuel HANNA, giving the sum of $300 to Cypress Hills Cemetery for the 
care of his burial plot and the balance of this estate to his daughter 
Anna E MACY, executrix, with Samuel R HANNA.

Bengt PETERSON, making his daughter Anna LOVISA, his sole legatee.  The 
pastor in charge of the Emmanuel Swedish Church is appointed executor.

Benjamin R SHERMAN, bequeathing his entire estate to his children, Richard 
B SHERMAN and Louise S LOUD, executors.

Henry M TANNER, directing the satisfaction of a mortgage for $3,000 now on 
premises, 934 Pacific Street, and leaving the residue of his property to his 
children Hugh F, Henry J and Mary E TANNER.  The sons were named as executors.

*This should probably be Regina H EPPIG

5 February 1909
By the will of John B FLEURY, late of Jamaica, filed 
yesterday in the surrogate's office, Rose M FLEURY, the widow 
of the deceased, is devised and bequeathed all of the estate 
of the decedent, the property after her death to go to her heirs 
or assigns.  The widow is also made the executrix of the 

The real property is estimated at over $10,000 and the personal 
at $100.  The will was executed in 1900.  The testator died 
January 20, 1909.  He leaves two sons James M and Alexander M 

15 February 1909
The following wills were filed from noon, Thursday, to 
noon, today:

Margaret BUGGY, dividing her property between her two sons, 
Patrick J McCORMACK and Michael F BUGGY.  John B SABINE, 
executor.  Maurice ROSE, 42 Broadway, Manhattan, attorney.

Meyer I FAGIN, which, after giving the sum of $200 to the 
children of his deceased son, Samuel, divides the residue 
of his estate equally between his children, Moses and Sarah.
Louis PLESHET, 1753 Pitkin Avenue, attorney.

Peter J FICKBOHM, bequeathing all his property to his executors, 
Henry PAULSEN and Nicholaus WAACKS, in trust, to devote the 
net income arising therefrom to the support of his son, 
Friederich W FICKBOHM, during his minority, the trust to 
terminate upon his majority and the principal of the estate to be 
turned over to him.  RABE & KELLER, 258 Broadway, Manhattan, 

William C FRICK, leaving all his property to his wife, Lydia F 
FRICK, executrix.

Adolph J STUPPY, making his wife, Mary STUPPY, his sole 
legatee and executrix.

Abbie S ALLEN, dividing her property equally among her husband, 
Ferdinand L ALLEN, and her sons, Harold L and Ralph H ALLEN.  
The husband and Dr Herbert C ALLEN, executors.

Henry C MORSE, giving to his friend Mary DeLANCY, the premises, 
2828 West First Street, Coney Island, during her life, free of 
taxes and other charges, and the sum of $1000; 
to Emma J FOLEY, $2000; 
to Ella M MURTHA $1000; 
to William D MURTHA $1000; 
to John M MORSE $2000; 
to Leander S MORSE $1000; 
to Alfred H C MORSE $2000; 
to Abner MORSE $1000; 
to Margaret E MORSE $1000; 
to Mary A BISHOP $1000 and the remainder of his estate to his executor, the Flatbush 
Trust Company, in trust, to pay the charges upon the estate during 
the life of Mary DeLANCY, and upon her death, 
to pay to Ella DOULL the sum of $10,000; 
to Frank MULCAHEY $1000; 
to William D MURTHA $100; 
to Mary A BISHOP $100; 
to Margaret E MORSE $100; 
to John M MORSE $200; 
to Leander S MORSE $100; 
to Louise MORSE $100; 
to Carrie CRAWFORD, Abner MORSE and Franklyn MORSE, each $100; 
to Strong Place Baptist Church $500; 
to St Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church $500 
and the balance of the residue to Emma MURTHA.  
Henry D LOTT, 164 Montague Street, attorney.

William L VAN SINDEREN, bequeathing his entire estate to his wife, 
15 Broad Street, Manhattan, attorneys.

16 February 1909
Calendar, Wednesday, before Surrogate Herbert T KETCHAM.
The will of 
William KNOTT, 
Jacob KRAFT, 
Joseph LAMBERT, 
Dora KEY
Mary E ABEL.

The administration of Henry LUTZ and John O'DONOHUE.

The guardianship of Samuel H BOYD.

The accounting of 
Abigail FARLEY, 
William A FRENCH, 
Josephine WALSH, 
BRITT estate, 
William KNEE, 
Margaret BOLAND, 
Charles DENNIN, 
Wilfred McMAHON, 
Charles JOHNSON, 
Louisa MORAN  

The estate of 
William TUNSTILL, 
Nellie BRITT, 
SLATER infants, 
BARBARA infants,
William BUTLER, 
Patrick CAMPBELL, 

Contested calendar - The will of John B TILLY.

1 March 1909
  William J. COSTELLO, of 209 Woodbine street, was sentenced to ten years 
imprisonment by Judge DIKE in Part 1 of the County Court today after pleading 
to an indictment charging forgery in the second degree. COSTELLO forged an 
indorsement on a check for $40 on John BUSH, a grocer of 336 Pacific street.
  Previous to the commission of this forgery he had served a year for a crime 
of a similar nature.

  Nine years in Sing Sing was the sentence pronounced on Samuel HEGEMAN, of 
207 1/2 Prospect avenue, who attacked his grandmother, Mrs. Caroline LEHARD, 
at whose home he lived. The quarrel resulted from her refusal to give him money.

3 March 1909
Bartender and Accused Saloonkeeper Freed
  August NEDENDAHL. 41 years old, proprietor of a saloon in West Seventeenth
street, Coney Island and Joseph BAUER, a waiter in a saloon on Surf avenue 
both charged with violating the liquor tax law, were discharged by Magistrate 
VOORHEES in the Coney Island court today. When the cases were called for a hearing.
On lack of evidence, the charge of maintaining a disorderly house, 
preferred by the police of the Coney Island station against Ida CROWE, 
of 2835 West Seventeenth street was dismissed and the defendant discharged.
Catherine BACHUS, an inmate of the house, who was arrested on a charge of 
being a disorderly person, was fined five dollars.

8 March 1909
   The following were sworn as members of the new Federal Grand Jury; 
David LAWRENCE, foreman; 
Geo. P. CONRAD, 
James CLARKE, 
William ALYER, 
J. Edward GOWER, 
Edgar N. LANE, 
Thomas LEWIS, 
Charles L. SMITH, 
Samuel TARRANT, 
Williaqm H. PULVER, 
Arthur QUENSER, 
Andrew STORMS, 
Fredrick DIETZ, 
John J. CRAMER, 
Robert WILSON,
Norman L. ZENO, 
Daniel G. ZURICK, 
Eugene B. MAGNUS, 
James W. WEBB 

11 March 1909
Mrs. JANER Has Several Talks With Her Husband.
   Baltimore Md., March 11, It is expected that the evidence in the case of 
Joseph M. JANER, of Brooklyn, NY, accused of abducting Catherine LOERSCH, 11 
years old, of Brooklyn, will be completed today. As the case is being tried 
before two judges, it is possible a verdict will be reached before the day is over.
   The chief witness today will be the accused man. JANER is anxious to 
testify to counteract what is admitted to have been the damaging effect of 
the little girl's story, which was whispered on the stand in a voice so low 
that few besides the counsel and Judges BURKE and DUNCAN could hear.
   JANER, his counsel declares, will testify he brought the girl to Baltimore 
with the understanding that her mother was to join them within two days. He 
will admit taking her to the places which the girl says they visited, but he 
will stoutly maintain that no harm befell her.
   Mrs. JANER, who is said to have renounced her husband after his departure 
with the girl, is an interested spectator at the trial, and has had several 
talks with her husband. Whether the defense will call her as a witness has 
not been decided.
   The testimony of Dr. SAMUELS and Dr. MARTIN that the LOERSCH girl had been 
ill-treated made JANER wince in his seat and turn his face from the witness box.
   Medical testimony and wrangling by opposing counsel consumed the greater 
portion of the morning session. Dr. BRUNS was recalled today and was put 
under a severe cross-examination. He was followed by Dr. R. Percy SMITH. The 
burden of the testimony of the medical experts was to the effect that the 
child had been assaulted, and numberless reasons were set forth to prove 
their testimony.
   Attorney CLARKE for the defense made a long technical argument to 
eliminate the age of the child from the record. This was taken to mean that 
the defense counsel had planned to fight the case along the lines of common assault.

12 March 1909
   Thomas MURRAY and his two sisters, Elizabeth and Emma, of 60 South Eight
street, were before Magistrate DOOLEY, in Adams street court today, and the 
technical charge of vagrancy against them was dismissed. They were 
re-arrested and taking to the District Attorney's office as Detective TUNNEY 
announced to Magistrate DOOLEY that the Grand Jury had found indictments 
against them on the charge of grand larceny.
   The MURRAY'S are charged with perverting to their own uses the contents of 
two trunks left by Mrs. FRASER, of Newport News, VA, at 60 South Eight 
street. Mrs. FRASER had occupied the apartments now occupied by the MURRAY'S 
before she left Brooklyn for Virginia. The MURRAYS had pawned some of the articles.

   There is trouble aplenty in store for police Sergeant Michael McGUIRE, of 
the Fort Hamilton station, whose prisoner, Harry WEISS, 17 years old of 295 
Lorimer street , was honorably discharged in the Fifth avenue police court 
today. When the case was called three prominent South Brooklynites appeared 
and swore in direct contradiction to the testimony given by the sergeant and 
declared the arrest an "outrage."
   WEISS paid a visit to his married sister in Borough Park, yesterday 
afternoon. He remained for supper and then went to the railroad station at 
Fifty-fourth and New Ultrect avenue. His sister accompanied him and while 
they were waiting for the train she explained to him how to transfer at the 
Bridge street elevated station. The three men who stood at the time in the 
small railroad station and overheard the remarks 
made by the young woman and her brother were John H. ROGERS and William H. 
McCALL, brokers, who live at 1361 Fifty-second street, and Robert M. 
ROBINSON, of 116 Fifteenth street, connected with the telephone company.
   The three men and WEISS boarded a train for Park Row. In the same car was 
Sergeant McGUIRE. according to McGUIRE's story, the Lorimer street youth used 
profane and indecent language, refused to keep off the car platform, and 
asked the sergeant on three occasions if the train went through to Manhattan. 
WEISS was arrested when the train reached Sixteenth street, a charge of 
disorderly conduct was preferred against him, and he spent the night in a 
cell at the Fifth avenue police station.
   A formal complaint was made out in court and the prisoner taken before 
Magistrate VOORHEES. Sergeant McGUIRE told his story and WEISS would have 
undoubtedly been punished, had not three men entered the courtroom while the 
case was in progress. After the policeman had testified, the trio came 
forward and asked if they might tell the facts in the case.
   ROGERS, McCALL and ROBINSON swore that WEISS had not committed an offense 
of any kind, that the prisoner had never left his seat in the car and that 
the sergeant had attempted to force WEISS into conversation.
   Magistrate VOORHEES thanked the citizens who had come to court to see that 
justice was accorded the prisoner and said he was pleased there were men of 
their stamp in Brooklyn.
   WEISS was honorably discharged. The Magistrate did not make any comments 
to the sergeant, but he gave him a look which was significant. A friend of 
WEISS appeared in court after the case had been disposed of and said the 
matter would be reported to Commissioner BINGHAM

15 March 1909
   While the Boys from BURKE'S saloon were holding there annual ball in New 
Eckford Hall Saturday night an attempt was made to rob their clubrooms. These 
rooms are located in the rear of the saloon of John BURKE at 319 Oakland 
street, and that the attempt did not succeed was due to the alertness of 
Policeman CRADDOCK and CURRAN of the Greenpoint avenue station
   CRADDOCK was on post near BURK'S place about 1 o'clock yesterday morning, 
when he saw someone moving about in the saloon. With CURRAN the two entered 
through the rear door. In the saloon they found a man, who gave his name as 
John SAVAGE, 21 years old. living at 241 Greenpoint avenue.
   When taken to the station house he was recognized as an old offender. More 
than a year ago he was arrested for entering the saloon of Charles FRANK on 
Franklin street, the same place where two burglars were caught last week. On 
the previous charge SAVAGE was sent to the Elmira Reformatory. He was 
released from there a short time ago and is still on probation
   In the Bedford avenue court yesterday morning a charge of burglary was 
made against SAVAGE and he was held in bail for an examination

17 March 1909
   Miss Jennie FLOYD, a substitute ticket taker at the Adams street station 
of the elevated railroad, had a lively experience today with William CONNER, 
37 years old, of 274 Adams street. He entered the station at 6:30 oclock this 
morning before the station attendants had arrived. CONNER paid his fare and 
after he had passed through the turnstile came back to the ticket seller's 
window and demanded 95 cents change for a dollar bill he said had given. Miss 
FLOYD insisted he had paid in only 5 cents. CONNER immediately became 
boisterous and in violent language threatened to do the ticket seller bodily 
harm unless she paid him 95 cents. Miss FLOYD refused to return money she had 
not received and then she gave the private signal for a detective from the 
Bridge street station. It was half an hour before Special Officer James 
DOWLING arrived and arrested CONNER. Meanwhile CONNER was threatening the 
terrified woman ticket seller. At one time CONNER threatened to throw the 
coal scuttle into the ticket office, but the young woman maintained her 
position until the detective arrived, then she collapsed.
   In Adams street court CONNER admitted he was intoxicated and was sentenced 
to pay a fine of $10. Or serve 10 days in jail.

   Mrs. Lena HECH, of 1770 Greene avenue, was held in $1,000. bail for the 
Grand Jury today by Magistrate O'REILLY in the Manhattan court on a charge of 
assaulting an officer. She was also fined $ 10. for intoxication.
   According to Policeman HAUGER, of the Stagg street station, who arrested 
the woman on March 7, when he was taking her to the station, she jabbed him 
with a hatpin several times.

   A suit for separation has been brought in the Supreme Court by Mrs. Emma 
JACKSON against her husband Andrew JACKSON, who for seven years was one of 
the deputy clerks of the Brooklyn Baseball Club. JACKSON however has ceased 
to be associated with the club, having been dropped from the payroll soon 
after his troubles with his wife came to court.
   The JACKSONS were married in 1899 and they have one child, a girl 7 years 
old named Emma. Mrs. JACKSON is now living at 114 Hoyt street , while Mr. 
JACKSON lives at 36 Ashland place. Mrs. JACKSON charges her husband with 
abandonment and declares that as early as 1900 her husband left her, she also 
charges him with cruel and inhuman treatment.
   The case was called before Supreme Court Justice THOMAS in Equity Term 
this morning and was held over until next week. Lawyer L.J. CURREN appeared 
for the defendant and M????? MILLER. of 360 Fulton street for the plaintiff.

18 March 1909
   The contest of the will of Mrs. Elizabeth Cooler ROSS, who left her large 
fortune to blood relatives, cutting off her husband; Reuben ROSS, of 
Washington, DC, was brought to a close before Justice ASPINALL, in part 7, of 
the Supreme Court, today, when Justice ASINALL decided against the 
disinherited husband. For two days ROSS, through his attorneys, MAGNER and 
CAREW, fought strenuously to induce the court to recognize a mutual agreement 
made between his wife and himself at their marriage, whereby they provided to 
bequeath to each other all their property in the event of death.
   Features of especially local interest developed in the testimony today. It 
appears that Mrs. ROSS first began her career as a dressmaker in the Eastern 
District, opening a little establishment on South Third street. She prospered 
and several years later became known as a prominent modiste on Fifth avenue, 
Manhattan. At the time off her death her estate was valued at more than $200,000.
   The couple were married in 1875, when she was 45 years old and ROSS only 
19. The young husband became infatuated with Laura SMITH, a maid employed by 
his wife, and in 1881 eloped with her to Philadelphia. Mrs. ROSS had her 
husband arrested and he served six months in jail. About this time Mrs. ROSS 
revoked the agreement she had made when they were married.
   When the hearing opened today Alexander S. ROSS, a brother of the 
plaintiff, testified that between 1902 and 1907 he called on Mrs. ROSS at her 
home in Manhattan and informed her that her husband desired to get a divorce 
from her. According to the witness, Mrs. ROSS flew into a rage and declared 
that she would not release ROSS from any obligations and that she intended to 
hound him for the remainder of his life. She stated further that she intended 
to live at least twenty years more.
   The most sensational testimony, however, was given by Eva L. McCLELLAN, 
who formerly lived in South Fifth street and is a niece of Mrs. ROSS. She 
testified that it was to her ROSS first paid court. They were engaged to be 
married when one day calling upon her at the home of her parents, he met the 
then Mrs. COOLEY and transferred his affections to her.
   " He told me," witness said, "that Mrs. COOLEY had the money and I had none."
   Justice ASPINALL, in deciding against the husband, declared that no court 
in the country would uphold his claim.

21 March 1909
   A decision was handed down by Justice KELLY, of the Supreme Court, 
yesterday in which he refuses to grant a decree of divorce in the suit of 
Mrs. Anna BURLEN against Albert BURLEN, in his answer, the husband makes 
counter charges. On the trial, BURLEN did not appear, while APPLEBAUM was 
present at every session. Justice KELLY refers to this peculiar situation, 
and refuses to grant the decree until some explanation is made as to the 
absence of the defendant from proceedings in which he was virtually interested.

   Charging him with bigamy, Mrs. Walberg MORTENSEN, a domestic employed at 
214 St. Johns' place, yesterday, caused the arrest of Olaf MORTENSEN, 40 
years old, of Second avenue, on a warrant issued earlier in the day by 
Magistrate DOOLEY, Detective McCAULEY, of local headquarters locked him up in 
the Adams street station, pending a hearing today in court. The woman 
declared MOTTENSEN had another wife living in Norway when he married her.

   Louis AHRENBERG, a member of the law firm of AHRENBERG & MANNE, with 
offices at 34 Court street, sailed for London on the American Liner St. Paul 
yesterday. Mr. AHRENBERG'S trip is a business one. It was learned through his 
friends he has been retained by a Brooklynite to establish claim to a large 
estate left by a wealthy Englishman, which the client believes he is heir to. 
Mr. AHRENBERG declined to divulge the name of his client or to give any 
description of the estate.

22 March 1909
   In part 1, of the County Court, today, Judge FAWCETT sentenced Ernest 
OSTRANDER, 26 years old, of 1089 Vienna avenue, to not less than twelve years 
imprisonment in Sing Sing. Judge FAWCETT highly commended the Society for the 
Prevention of Cruelty to Children for the manner in which it followed up the case.
   Judge FAWCETT pronounced sentence on a number of Manhattan crooks. They 
were Thomas WHITE, burglary, five years in Sing Sing;, Henry BROWN, grand 
larceny, four years; Benjamin KANTROWITZ, burglary, ten years; Benjamin 
MILLER, burglary, Elmira; David BATTLELOFF, receiving stolen goods, three 
years and six months.

24 March 1909
   Some difficulty was experienced in the Adams Street court today by 
Magistrate NAUMER in the disposition of the case of Theresa AMBROSI. She is 
held as a material witness in a Black Hand case, but already has had her face 
disfigured for life by a razor cut on her left cheek from the Black Hand men 
against whom she is supposed to testify. The woman is so terrified that she 
threatens to take her own life.
   Magistrate NAUMER put her in the custody of Probation Officer Anna I. 
CONNELLY, who placed her in safety in the House of the Good Shepherd.

   The will of Fredrick A. GUILD, a patron of many charitable institutions 
and one of Brooklyn's wealthiest residents, was filled in the Surrogates 
office today. His estate is estimated a $500,000. some of the bequest are as 
follows: To his two brothers, Joseph and Henry GUILD, of Dedham, Mass., 
$1000.,each; to his sister, Abby E. GUILD, of Dedham, $5000; to his 
grandchild, Mary A. PRAEGER, the daughter of Mrs. Louis PRAEGER, of 124 
Willow Street, $5000; to his daughter, Mary A. GUILD, the house and all the 
furnishings of 37 Monroe Place and the rest of the estate is given over in 
trust to the Franklin Trust Company
   One-fifth of the income of this trust fund is to be given to a son, 
Fredrick H. GUILD, who lives at the St. George Hotel, and two-fifths to a 
daughter, Caroline, who is Mrs. Louis PRAEGER. The remaining two-fifths of 
the income are to be held in trust for his granddaughter, Mary E. PRAEGER, 
who is to receive the whole estate should she survive the other 
   Mr. GUILD was seventy-five years old and retired at the time of his death. 
The will is dated Dec. 24, 1908.
   An estate of considerable value is divided into numerous bequests by the 
will of Charles W. TANDY, the wealthy monument manufacturer, which was filled 
in the Surrogate's Court today. For more than thirty years the TANDY 
establishment was located at the entrance to Greenwood Cemetery, Fifth Avenue 
and Twenty-fifth Street.
   Mr. TANDY is survived by his widow, Frances Eleanor TANDY and by three 
children. The members of his family practically inherit all his property. The 
monument works is bequeathed to his son, Frank E. TANDY, together with $3000. 
in cash to carry on the business. This son also receives the house at 203 
Seventeenth Street. Property is also left to the other son, Charles E. TANDY, 
and the daughter, Idalette C. CHITTENDEN, of 1673 Forty-ninth Street.
   Mrs. TANDY, who was his second wife, is given the use of the TANDY home, 
at 203 Seventeenth Street, for one year without rent. The peculiar provision 
is explained by the testator who says in his will that an agreement with Mrs. 
TANDY previous to their marriage provided for her satisfactorily

   A divorce was awarded yesterday by Supreme Court Justice O' GORMAN to Mrs. 
Grace L. SANKEY from John E. SANKEY, eldest son of of the late Ira. D. 
SANKEY, the evangelist, who died last August.

29 March 1909
   William S. HENDERSON, 35 years old, of 345 Clifton Place, was charged with 
disorderly conduct, was fined $5 by Magistrate HYLAN. According to Special 
Officer FRANCES, HENDERSON acted in a disorderly manner at the Thirty-sixth 
Street station early today.
   "I hadn't eaten in four days, that's why I had a few drinks," was the 
excuse given in the same court today by Mrs. Bertha FUREY, of 167 
Twenty-third Street. The woman's husband appeared, and said that a year ago 
she was found guilty of intoxication, and that she was not a proper guardian 
for their two children. Mrs.FUREY was paroled for examination April 6.

   John QUINLAN, 42 years old, of 69 Douglass Street, who recently completed 
a six months sentence following a complaint made by his wife, Elizabeth, of 
590 Sixth Avenue, was before Magistrate HYLAN today. Mrs. QUINLAN, who had 
sworn out a complaint charging her husband with disorderly conduct, did not 
appear and the case was adjourned.....QUINLAN says that after his six months 
stay at the penitentiary he came to his old home to get some clothes, that he 
had no argument with his wife, and that without having done any wrong, he was 

31 March 1909
   John CASEY, 29 years old, of 1593 Gates Avenue, a conductor on the Gates 
Avenue line, and William BLAUT, 39 years old, of 1309 Gates Avenue, were in 
the Manhattan Avenue court today before Magistrate FURLONG, charged with 
disorderly conduct.
   BLAUT was a passenger on CASEY'S car yesterday. When the car reached 
Hamburg Avenue, BLAUT, who is a cripple, started to leave the car. He did not 
move quickly enough to suit CASEY and the conductor pushed him from the car. 
BLAUT smashed his umbrella over the other man's head. 
   The men pleaded guilty and were fined $5 each.

   On behalf of Mrs. Kunigunda MULLEN, a wealthy heiress, ex-Judge HURD moved 
before Justice MAREAN in Special Term of the Supreme Court today for an order 
instructing her brother, John POPE, to pay her the sum of $23,000, which she 
claims rightly belongs to her through inheritance.
   John POPE, father of the plaintiff and defendant, died in 1897, leaving an 
estate valued at 145,000. All the children invested their money in a pool of 
establishing a magnificent home. Many thousands of dollars were consumed in 
traveling and other lavish amusements. The sister claims that her brother has 
been leading too fast a life for her, and therefore demands that her 
allowance be returned to her.

Commission Reports She Didn't Commit Bigamy
   The administration of the estate of Ferdinand E. EYSEL was settled by 
Surrogate KETCHAM today after receiving the report of a commission sent to 
Germany to investigate the legitimacy of the claims presented by two woman 
each of whom insist on being the lawful widow of the testator. As the result 
of the findings of this commission, Surrogate KETCHAM handed down an order 
today revoking the letters of administration from one of EYSEL'S wives, 
Magdalene EYSEL, and turning them over to the other, Marie EYSEL. Both reside 
within a block of each other in Forty-second Street.
   EYSEL died in Hamburg, Germany, Sept. 28, 1908. It was known that his 
family consisted of the widow, Marie EYSEL; a daughter, Caroline; three sons, 
Valentine , Ferdinand and George, and another daughter, Mrs.Johanna B. 
BOUHOT, of 355 Fifty-third Street. With the exception of the last named all 
lived in the EYSEL home, at 159 Forty-second Street.
   Shortly after EYSEL'S death in Germany, letters of administration were 
granted to Magdalene EYSEL, who claimed to be the widow. Proceedings were 
brought by Marie EYSEL, who asked that she be made the administratrix of her 
husband's estate.
   From the testimony it appeared that Marie EYSEL married him in 1872 and 
lived with him until 1896, when by a judgment of the Supreme Court the 
marriage was revoked on the ground that she had married EYSEL without 
obtaining a legal separation from a former husband, Conrad SCHEIN, still 
alive in Germany.
   In 1902 EYSEL married Magdalene. He lived with Magdalene until his 
departure to Germany, where he died.
   At the trial Marie emphatically denied her marriage to EYSEL had been 
illegal, declaring her former husband was dead at the time. Evidence to the 
contrary was introduced by the attorneys for Magdalene, and Surrogate KETCHAM 
finally decided to leave the administration papers in her possession until 
the other widow established her contention. A commission was sent to Germany 
at Marie EYSEL' S request. They were accompanied by her daughter Magdalene.
   Testimony was taken before G. C. KOTHE, United States counsel in Cassell, 
Germany. The principal witness who confirmed Marie's claim, was Philip 
SCHEIN, son of Conrad SCHEIN through another marriage. 
He informed the commission that his father died four years previous to 
Marie's marriage

4 May 1909
  The will of the late George E. GALE of 1305 Albemarle road was filed in the 
surrogates office late yesterday. His personal estate, which is estimated at 
many thousands of dollars, consists of valuable works of arts, handsome 
furniture and horses and carriages, the palatial residence on Albemarle road, 
together with its effects, and the stable of horses, are bequeathed to the 
widow, Sarah E. GALE. The remainder of the estate is divided equally among 
the children.

  The will of the late George E. GALE of 1305 Albemarle road was filed in the 
surrogates office late yesterday. His personal estate, which is estimated 
at many thousands of dollars, consists of valuable works of arts, 
handsome furniture and horses and carriages, the palatial residence 
on Albemarle road, together with its effects, and the stable of horses, 
are bequeathed to the widow, Sarah E. GALE. The remainder of the estate 
is divided equally among the children.

14 June 1909
  John CURRAN, 24 years old, of 24 Joralemon street, was sentenced to two 
years, six months in Sing Sing Prison to-day for grand larceny. The crime he 
committed was specified in the indictment as the theft of one cent from 
Thomas QUAYLE. Curran attacked the complainant, beating him into 
unconsciousness and then robbed him of the one penny, which was all that 
QUAYLE had in his possession at the time.
  Relying on his "pull" Charles LEVY, 25 years old, of 781 Decatur street, 
who had been indicted for grand larceny, hardly expected to get the reception 
given him by Judge FAWCETT to-day. He pleaded guilty to stealing two $30 
diamond rings from Fannie JACOBS.
  "You nor any one else", said Judge FAWCETT, "has any pull with this court. 
You will go to Elmira".
  Two burglars were sent away to Sing Sing for terms ranging from three to 
six years by Judge DIKE. They were Peter KLEIN, 27 years old, who pleaded 
guilty to burglary in the second degree, and Edward CHICACKOWSKY, 18 years 
old, burglary in the second degree.
  Sentence was suspended on Capristo D'IGNOTE, 35 years old, of 54 Boerum 
street, who was indicted for burglary.
  Andrew BASILE, 19 years old, of 86 Skillman street, was sent to Elmira on 
the charge of grand larceny.

  Supreme Court Justice THOMAS issued an order to-day directing Fire 
Commissioner Nicholas J. HAYES, as trustee of the Fire Department Relief 
Fund, to pay Edna HANSON, widow of Henry HANSON, the death benefit of $1,000. 
The money had been held up by HAYES because of the doubt existing about Mrs. 
HANSON's lawful marriage to the fireman. HANSON was hurt while at a fire and 
died as the result of his injuries.

Return to COURT MAIN
Return to CIVIL MAIN