enter name and hit return
Find in Page
1898...DAILY STAR Brooklyn area Deaths

5 July 1898
ENGLISH ­ On Tuesday morning, July 5th at the residence of his daughter,
Mrs. Samuel H. WOOD, near Katonah, N.Y., James ENGLISH, aged 82 years.
Funeral service on Thursday, July 7th at 11:30 o'clock, at the Universalist
Church, North Henry street, near Nassau avenue, Greenpoint.  Interment in
Evergreens Cemetery.

6 July 1898
Miss Hannah CANNON died Monday afternoon at 20 Pearson street after an
illness of two days.  She was a sister of Mrs. Patrick DALY and had lived at
the above place for a long time.  She had been a resident of the city for
twenty-five years or more.  Her death was caused by an attack of cholera
morbus, and she was sixty-four years of age.  The funeral will occur on
Thursday morning.  There will be a requiem mass at St. Mary's Church at 10
o'clock and the interment will be in Calvary Cemetery.

9 July 1898
Death of this Well-Known Old-Time Greenpoint Shipbuilder.
Boat and ship carpenters of Greenpoint, men of the old school, were shocked
this week to hear of the death of James ENGLISH.  They had worked with him
and under him in the years gone by, and they all remember him with pride and
even affection.  James was the "boss" as they knew him in intimate contact
in the shipyard, while John, the other brother, was the financier and the
office manager, etc.  Of course it was needful that there should be two of
them to make the complement, and James always remained to the end of his
days quiet, modest and retiring, avoiding rather than seeking attention.  In
the winter of 1895 he was domiciled with member of his family at 105 Milton
street, and the family was willing that he should be written up in the STAR,
with his picture but it was feared he would object.  However, the "story"
was obtained and the picture appeared, and Mr. ENGLISH was known to have
expressed himself as satisfied.
It was noticeable in him that he continued to adhere up to the time of his
death to the spelling of the surname ENGLISH with the final "h."  His
brother's family had dropped the "h" and were known as ENGLIS.
His demise.
Mr. James ENGLISH was eighty-two years of age at the time of his decease on
Tuesday of this week at the residence of his daughter, Mrs. Samuel WOOD, at
Katonah, Westchester County.  He was ill for only four days.  He remained
strong and sturdy nearly all of his life.  He was over six feet tall and was
indeed remarkably well preserved.  He was never a drinking man, but was a
great smoker.
The funeral of Mr. ENGLISH took place at the Church of the Reconciliation on
North Henry street, on Thursday at 11:30 o'clock.  The Rev. A.E.  WRIGHT
officiated.  The interment was in Evergreen Cemetery.
In the church during the service were noticed a number of the old ship
carpenters of Greenpoint, there to look for the last time on the face of
their old "boss."
James ENGLISH was a workingman and remained a workingman all his life and to
him is greatly due the excellent vessels turned out year by year by this
famous firm.
Of the family of the ENGLISHes there were two brothers, John and James.
They were founders of the firm.  James died on Tuesday, and John some time
ago.  John, sr., as above, left a son, John jr., who is now the
representative head of the celebrated establishment. John jr., has a son,
Charles.  James, just deceased, leaves George E., who was in the Brooklyn
Navy Yard; Mrs. WILSON and Mrs. S.H. WOOD.
Farm life.
John ENGLISH was at one time enamored of farm life and he resided on a farm
in Westchester County, but he disposed of the farm about four years ago.  He
also made his residence at 229 Monroe street, near Nostrand avenue, in the
Twenty-third Ward, removing there in the spring of 1895.  He was married
James ENGLISH lived in Greenpoint when the place was no more than a hamlet,
when the school house stood on a hill on the site of the present station
house, and when nearly all of the village was clustered on Franklin street
along the shores of the East river.  It was ship building that gave life to
Greenpoint and made it grow.  The earlier illustrated papers of New York
often contain pictures of boats of fame that were built in Greenpoint, and
the place, in the estimation of many, was one vast ship yard, where the
sound of the hammer rarely ceased, and there was a delightful odor of new
timber and tar.  Many ship carpenters removed from New York to Greenpoint
and were among the first settlers.  These ship carpenters brought their
families brought their families with them, and as they were unusually sturdy
old American stock, Greenpoint soon took on the characteristics of the
typical American village.  It is not the province here to discuss causes of
the decay of American ship building, which began so auspiciously in
Greenpoint.  It is enough to say now that it is dead; though American
battleships and cruisers have recently shown that America is still a ruler
of the seas, and when this war is over, and American Congress, aroused to
new possibilities may do as other nations do and help to make again an
American merchant marine.
The ENGLISHes were prominent of course in those days, being heads of a
leading industry, and James ENGLISH at the head of his faithful band of
workingmen was the happiest man of all at a launching, and a launching in
those days was an event, a holiday, which often brought people from the city
across the river, and from out in the country ­ farmers and their entire
families would come in from Jamaica, Hempstead, and even Oysterbay.
Mr. ENGLISH always watched the progress of the Unadilla, built by him, and
the first government gunboat of the war.  She was built in the yards in
sixty-three days, and there was great hustling to complete the vessel in
that time. There was continual danger from Confederate spies as they were
The Monitor was built in Greenpoint in 100 days and cost $276,00.  Her
victory over the rebel ram Merrimac in Hampton roads in 1862 marked the end
of wooden ships of war.
Decadence in ship building in Greenpoint came in the early sixties in
consequence of the great strike of the ship carpenters.  The strike was
unsuccessful, and the shipyard owners transferred their industry down east
to Maine, and to Chester, Pa., and other points. The Œbosses' moved away,
and numbers of ship carpenters followed them, but Greenpoint was then
becoming too big to be killed by the ending in the place of any great
The last big boat built by the ENGLISHes was the Adirondack of the People's
Line.  The present office of the firm is near the foot of Greenpoint avenue,
and considerable business is done in a small way at their yards in
Ravenswood, but nothing of great moment.  The revival of the industry as a
great factor in the economy of the place was look for in the building of the
Adirondack, but it did not come.
Among the later boats built by the firm are the Grand Republic of the Coney
Island route, seven years ago; the Drew and Dean Richmond of the People's
Line; also boats for the Fall River line.  Boats built by Messrs. ENGLISH
are now running on rivers, lakes and coast of the United States.
The recent new steamboat of the Portland line is called the John ENGLIS.
At one time the shipyard of the firm was at the foot of East Tenth street,
New York.
The Old Ninth Ward.
James ENGLISH was born in the old Ninth Ward of New York.  It is a charming
district of the Metropolis, retaining many old-fashioned characteristics
amid wondrous changes continually going on.  A Statement was made by an Old
New Yorker recently that the Ninth Ward was the only part of America left on
Manhattan Island.  Indeed it is a fact that there is more of a home like
settled feeling in the Ninth Ward.  Neighbors know one another and there is
a community of interest in old Greenwich village.  It was from this stock
and atmosphere that James ENGLISH came.  He attended the old Ninth Ward
School, and afterward went to school at White Plains.  He reached White
Plains by going in a sloop to Tarrytown and thence by stage.
When Mr. ENGLISH removed to Greenpoint he built a residence on Kent street,
below Manhattan avenue, and later at 103 India street, where he had a
splendid flower garden.  He was also very fond of books.
He was one of the organizers of the Church of Reconciliation in a small hall
on Franklin street.  The society afterward worshipped on Noble street,
between Franklin street and Manhattan avenue in a church erected by
Congregationalist, now occupied by Temple Beth-El.  The next change was to
the present site on North Henry street.  He was at one time president of the
official board of this church.
It was the half brother of James ENGLISH, Mr. George BELL, who built the
caissons of the Brooklyn Bridge.

ENGLISH ­ On Tuesday morning, July 5th at the residence of his daughter,
Mrs. Samuel H. WOOD, near Katonah, N.J., James ENGLISH, aged 82 years.
Funeral services on Thursday July 7th at 11:30 o'clock at the Universalist
Church, North Henry street, near Nassau avenue, Greenpoint.  Interment in
Evergreens Cemetery.

The Late Mr. FORBES.
He Had Mined for Gold in all Quarters of the World.
On Tuesday last Mr. Lawrence FORBES died of consumption at his home, 578
Lorimer street.  While he had resided here upwards of twenty years, he was
away on gold digging exploits the most of the time and but little was seen
of him.  Several months ago he started on a trip around the world on a
sailing vessel and disembarked at New Zealand and was sent to an hospital on
a stretcher.  He was then suffering from the malady which since resulted in
his death.  A little over two months ago he arrived in Greenpoint, and
despite the best medical service and the constant, tender nursing of loving
wife, sister and mother, he succumbed and closed his eyes on the scenes of
his life on Tuesday.  The funeral service was held on Thursday night at his
late residence.  The Rev. John FINCH, pastor of the Noble street Baptist
Church (where the deceased attended when home) officiated.  Appropriate
scriptural selections were read and timely remarks made.
There was a large attendance at the funeral service and several chaste and
significant floral offerings were observed.  Yesterday morning the remains
were followed to Cypress Hills Cemetery and the interment was directed by
Mr. William NASON in the family plot.  Mr. FORBES is survived by a widow and
three children.  The mother of the deceased, Mrs. Sarah FORBES, resides at
158 Noble street, with her stepdaughter, Mrs. W.H. STURGIS.
The life of Mr. FORBES was an eventful one.  He was a native of Pembroke,
Me., and was fifty-eight years of age.  He had been a gold miner ever since
he was eighteen years of age.  He had been very successfully financially,
but his health was the primary cause for the loss of more than one fortune.
His first experience I mining was in Australia , then at New Zealand.  He
returned to the United States and was one of the first to proceed to
California overland, where his experience was of a thrilling nature.  When
gold was discovered in the Black Hills he went there as he did to Dutch and
British Guiana.  His last venture at mining was at Demarara.  It was thought
that a trip around the world would prolong his life, and this led him to
make arrangements for the journey on a sailing vessel.  His strength was not
sufficient for the trip and he narrowly escaped dying at New Zealand.  He
appeared to be very thankful that he was permitted to reach home and end his
days among his loved ones.
Widespread sympathy is manifested for the bereaved family in their hour of sorrow.

Died of the Heat.
Sad Fate of a Well-Known Business Man of Greenpoint.
Bernard HENRICH, the well-known business man, proprietor of the prosperous
lumber establishment on Greenpoint avenue near West street, succumbed to the
heat on Thursday and died.  He was prostrated by the excessive heat of
Sunday and Monday and was confined to his room in Welch's Hotel.  Mr.
HENRICH was well and favorably known to many of the people of Greenpoint.
He was a large, stout man and the heat was too much for him. It is reported
that there is much sickness this week as a result of those two excessively
hot days, and doctors' calls are frequent.

Henry WHEATON of 88 Clay street, aged fifty-nine years, was stricken with
death on Thursday.

A Greenpointer Drowned.
It was reported yesterday that John ELLIS of 118 Norman avenue, a private of
Company H, Seventy-first regiment is missing since the battle of Santiago.
A call at 118 Norman avenue elicited the fact that four privates ­ ELLIS,
FALLON, MARLOW and MORSE enlisted in the Seventy-first from that house.

Her Aunt Was Lost.
Miss Fannie BRAMBERGER of 590 Leonard street went to the steamship pier to
see the ill-fated La Burgogne sail on Saturday last and wished her aunt,
Mrs. BRAMBERGER, of Lexington avenue, New York, bon voyage.  The aunt was
one of those who went down with the ship.

12 July 1898
Death in Electric Chair
Mrs. Martin T. PLACE was this Tuesday morning sentenced to die in the
electric chair in the week commencing August 29th.
She was convicted of murder in the first degree in the killing of her
step-daughter Ida, and sentence was pronounced by Justice HURD in Brooklyn.
(7 July 1898)On the Jury.
Two Greenpointers Chosen to Try Mrs. PLACE for Murder.
Philip ABRAMS, 915 Manhattan avenue, and William P. McGARRY, 236 Huron
street are among the jurors drawn in the murder trial of Mrs. Martha M.
PLACE.  She was put on trial in the County Court, in Brooklyn, on Tuesday,
Judge HURD presiding, for the murder of her eighteen year-old stepdaughter,
Ida PLACE, on February 7th last, at their home, No. 598 Hancock street,
Brooklyn. The entire day from soon after 10 in the morning until 3:45
o'clock in the afternoon was occupied in getting a jury.  More than
two-thirds of the talesmen examined had conscientious scruples against the
death penalty, and undoubtedly many of the men were influenced in their
efforts to get off the jury by the fact that the defendant is a woman.  Some
of them said plainly that, while they were willing to sit in judgement in a
murder case, a man being a defendant, they did not believe any woman should
be sent to the electric chair, and therefore they had conscientious scruples
that would prevent them from being impartial jurors.

18 July 1898
Mysteriously Drowned.
A Greenpoint Man Falls into the East River ­ Body Found.
Some time during last Friday night William McKENNA of Calyer street,
Greenpoint, who was employed as a deck hand on one of the oil tank boats of
the Standard Oil Company, was drowned while the boat was at the wharf of the
East River Gas Company at the foot of Webster avenue, where she was
delivering a cargo of oil.  It seems that McKENNA, who was said to be an
industrious and sober man had been in the employ of the oil company for
upwards of thirteen years, was on watch, and how he came to get into the
water is a mystery.
On Saturday morning a tugboat having on board the captain of the oil boat
came and took the craft in tow.  The captain of the oil barge did not see
McKENNA around but thought he was asleep in the cabin and proceeded down the
river.  When rounding the battery he went in the cabin and there found
McKENNA's coat and hat, but the man was missing, and even at this time it
was not thought he was drowned.  On Sunday, however some friends of the
drowned man started to grapple about the dock and about half past 3
succeeded in raising the body about 100 feet from where the boat had been
moored.  All his clothes were on except the hat and coat found in the cabin
by the captain.  The deceased was about forty-five years of age and leaves a
wife and two children.  The children were on the dock when the body of their
father was recovered and the scene was most heartrendering.  The Coroner's
office was notified and permission was given to remove the body to an
undertaker's establishment in Greenpoint.

23 July 1898
LONG ­ Friday July 22d, 1898, Esther Elizabeth, daughter  of Sampson and
Mary E. LONG, in the fifth year of her age.  Funeral from the residence of
parents, 182 Kent street, Greenpoint, Monday afternoon at 1 o'clock.  Irish
and Canadian papers please copy.

Killed by a Trolley Car.
Michael ECOLO, a deaf and dumb Italian boy, nine years of age, was run over
and killed within a few feet of the door of the house where he lived at 149
Borden avenue, this Saturday.  The accident happened on the down track and
car No. 216 was the one that caused it.  The father of the boy works in the
Long Island Railroad yards and came home to his dinner just after the
accident  occurred.  Coroner GUY was notified and directed an undertaker to
take charge of the body.

Died in the Railroad Depot.
B.J. CONNELL, a compositor on the New York Telegraph died suddenly in the
[rest missing]

The Late James SAUNDERS.
James SAUNDERS, an old time and highly respected resident of Greenpoint,
died at his home on Putnam avenue, Brooklyn, on Sunday last.  The deceased
was a lead burner by occupation, and at one time held a monopoly of the
tread hereabouts.  He was fifty-nine years of age.  The funeral occurred
Tuesday morning from the Church of the Nativity, corner of Classon avenue
and Madison street, and was largely attended,  many Greenpointers being
present.  The deceased was a member of St. Anthony Council, No. 104, C.B.L.,
and carried a policy of $3,000 in that organization.

She was Ninety-eight Years Old.
Mr. William L. RUSSELL directed the funeral of Mrs. Maria C. VAN PELT, the
old resident of Newtown who died last week at the home of her daughter, Mrs.
Gertrude MUNDY in the ninety-eighth year of her age.  Mrs. VAN PELT was born
in Ravenswood, which was then  known as Waterside.  Her maiden name was
PAYNTER.  Her father, William PAYNTER, owned four large farms in the heart
of Long Island City, and at the time of his death was considered one of the
wealthiest  farmers on Long Island.  When twenty-seven years of age the
deceased married Peter David VAN PELT, who was of old Knickerbocker stock.
Mrs. VAN PELT's great grandfather, William PAYNTER settled on Long Island
over 250 years ago.  Her an  [rest missing]

A Sad Bereavement.
James Robert FITZGIBBON, the second eldest son of ex-Alderman Andrew W.
FITZGIBBON, died on Saturday last at the summer home of his parents at
Shelter Island Heights, aged fifteen months.  The illness of the child was
only of three days' duration.  Cholera infantum was the cause of death.  Mr.
and Mrs. FITZGIBBON hurried to their summer residence on Friday, on the
advice of their physician, thinking that a change of air would possibly
benefit the child, but death resulted from exhaustion the following day.
The body was brought back to Long Island City on the morning train from
Greenport where relatives and friends were awaiting its arrival.  There were
several beautiful and appropriate floral offerings.  The interment was made
that day in the family plot at Calvary Cemetery.
Although the little one was but fifteen months old it exhibited unusual
precocity and was as lovely a child in manners, disposition and appearance
as could be imagined.  The suddenness with which the tender chord of life
was snapped asunder caused clouds of sorrow to lower over a happy home.  Mr.
and Mrs. FITZGIBBON are deeply and sincerely sympathized with their
irreparable loss by a numerous contingent of friends who mourn with them.

26 July 1898
Died From Fall.
John SCHWARTZ, forty years old, of 260 Kingsland avenue, Greenpoint, died at
St. John¹s Hospital, this Tuesday morning from the effects of injuries
received from a fall at the new sugar house.  He was at work on some of the
steam pipes Monday afternoon about 4 o¹clock and fell through a hatchway
from the second to the first floor.  His back was injured and he was also
hurt internally.  He was in a critical condition when taken to the hospital.

The funeral of the late James YEREANCE took place on Monday from the family
residence, 31 Oakland street.  The Rev. Mr. BARNES was the officiating
clergyman.  The funeral was in the charge of Henry N. MEYER, and the
interment was at Cedar Grove Cemetery.
Mr. YEREANCE was one of the old original shipjoiners in Greenpoint.  He was
seventy years and five months old, and was one of the men in the exodus from
the Eleventh Ward, New York in years gone by.  He was employed as a
shipjoiner by the late Andrew MILLS, and when the latter became president of
the Dry Dock Savings Bank at Third street and the Bowery, Mr. YEREANCE went
with him as a clerk and remained there for many years in a confidential
position, being often intrusted with great sums of money sent from one place
of deposit to another.  The bank held him in great esteem and had unlimited
confidence in him, and three or four years ago he was retired by the bank
officials on full salary, since which time he lived a very quiet life in
Greenpoint, having the regard of all who ever came in contact with him.  He
lived for fifty years in Greenpoint, and was connected with the bank for
thirty years.  He was a God fearing man and very conscientious and a great
sufferer before death, which, however, he hardly expected, presuming that he
would be up again soon from this attack, and he was glad to have old friends
drop in on him.. He leaves his wife, who was ill for some time, but is now
better.  It seemed a question at one period as to which would go first.  An
old-time man, of the old school, he is now at rest.  The death occurred on Saturday.

27 July 1898
Run Over by a Train.
Otis DAVIDSON, captain of a boat designated as Scow No. 3, was struck by an
east-bound train at the East avenue crossing on Tuesday afternoon about 3:30
o¹clock.  He was carried along about twenty feet by the engine and then fell
off.  Both legs were cut off and he died immediately from his injuries.  His
boat was lying on Newtown creek at the foot of East avenue at the time of
the accident and he was on his way to the scow when the fatality occurred.

30 July 1898
William BOECKERER, a child of six months, who lived with his parents on
Greenpoint avenue did [died] on Thursday of last week after a few days¹
illness of stomach trouble.  Undertaker Thomas J. FOX had charge of the
funeral which occurred on Saturday.  The interment was in Lutheran Cemetery.

Death of J.K. HOLMES.
News has been received in Astoria of the death of Captain J.K. HOLMES very
suddenly at Kingston on the Hudson.  It will be remembered that he removed
from here six or seven years ago.  He was at one time a member and officer
of Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church and resided with his family on Ely
avenue.  He had been interested in brick making up the river.  He was at one
time in the brick business at Yorkville.  Mr. HOLMES was sixty-four years of
age at the time of his death.  One of Mr. HOLMES¹s sons is now with the
Seventy-first Regiment at Santiago.  There are two sons and only one of them
could leave for the war.  There was quite a wordy controversy before it was
settled as to which should go.

1 August 1898
Killed by a Trolley Car.
Joseph PANTRELLA, age ten years, of 338 Steinway avenue, died early this
Monday morning at St. John¹s Hospital.  He was run over by a trolley car
near his home Sunday afternoon and both legs were cut off.  Death resulted
from shock.  Charles DUSENBURY, the motorman of the car, was arrested.
This Monday he was held in the police court for examination on August 11th
in $500 bonds.

Drowning Accidents.
John BOWE, a man of sixty years, who lived at 77 India street, Greenpoint,
fell overboard from the barge Charles Spear at the foot of Third street on
Sunday evening and was drowned.  The police notified the Coroner.  How the
accident occurred no one seems to know, but it is thought that he endeavored
to jump to the dock before the boats were made fast and either struck the
dock or barge, perhaps he might have been squeezed between both and fell
into the water.  He was quickly fished out and the ambulance from St. John¹s
Hospital called.  Detective KELLY, who happened to be on the spot, worked
over the man for an hour and the ambulance surgeon tried in vain to
resuscitate him.  If the dead man came in contact with anything in his fall
there were no marks on his body to show that such was the case.

John SCNEIDER, age thirty-five, of 156 Stagg street, Brooklyn was drowned
while bathing at the foot of Montgomery street, near Flushing, Sunday
afternoon about 4 o¹clock. The Coroner was notified.

THORN Electrocuted.
Martin THORN was electrocuted at 11:17 a.m. today at Sing Sing.  As he
approached the chair he walked behind Warden SAGE, and Father HANSELMAN was
at his side.  He said nothing.  The current remained on for five seconds,
and the voltage was 1,950.  After that time the current was allowed to fall
to 400 volts.  The current remained on for fifty-five seconds and THORN was
pronounced dead.

2 August 1898
Martin THORN¹s Corpse.
The body of Martin THORN arrived at the Grand Central Depot at 9:20 o¹clock
this morning.  
Paul MINKER, THORN¹s brother-in-law, was on hand to receive it.  It was
taken to an undertaking establishment.  A handsome coffin had been provided.
The body will be buried this afternoon in Calvary Cemetery.
With THORN to the Last.
Rev. Father HANSELMAN, until recently connected with St. Patrick¹s Church,
Dutch Kills, was THORN¹s spiritual advisor and remained with the condemned
man till the last trace of life was departed.  The reverend gentleman was
one of the first to visit THORN after his confinement in the Queens County
Jail and a warm feeling sprang between them, and the prisoner refused to see
anyone else in his last hours on earth.

George TOD Kills Himself.
George TOD, a wealthy New Yorker, jumped out of a ten-story window of the
Hotel Majestic this morning and killed himself.  Mr. TOD belonged to the old
New York family of that name, and had everything that heart could desire of
a material kind except health.  He was forth years old, a bachelor, with no
business or family cares, and wealth sufficient to enjoy life as he chose.

3 August 1898
STRICKLAND-James STRICKLAND, who was one of the best known residents of Greenpoint,
died on Sunday at his residence, 181 Java street.  Mr. STRICKLAND was
eighty-five years of age.  He was born in this State, and when a young man
entered the employ of Henry STEERS, who built the famous yacht, America¹s
Cup.  He was one of the original members of the Noble Street Baptist Church,
of which he was senior deacon.  A widow and five sons survive him.  The
funeral will take place this Wednesday in the Noble Street Baptist Church,
the Rev. John FINCH and Rev. Lewis FRANCIS officiating.

GOODMAN-The funeral of the late Thomas J. GOODMAN took place on Sunday from the
family residence, 573 Leonard street.  Interment was in Calvary Cemetery.
The deceased had lived in Greenpoint twenty-nine years.  He was a brother of
City Marshal Philip GOODMAN.

5 August 1898
MARTIN-Mrs. Maddie MARTIN (colored) widow of the late William MARTIN, and daughter
of M. BAINER, died at her father¹s residence on Sherman street Tuesday
morning at the age of twenty years.  The funeral services were held at the
colored mission, corner Vernon and Webster avenues, on Thursday afternoon,
the Rev. J.T. WILKINS officiating.  Interment was made in Evergreen Cemetery.

6 August 1898
MORRIS-The funeral of the late Mrs. Emma A. MORRIS, wife of ex-Alderman John L.
MORRIS, took place from the family residence on Hallett street last Friday
evening.  The Rev. Mr. BELDEN of St. George¹s Church officiated.  The
interment was in the family plot in Mount Olivet Cemetery.

HUGHES-Mrs. William W. HUGHES died at the residence of her father, Jacob HUNTER, on
Friday morning at 11:30 o¹clock.  She had been ill for some time and about
three weeks ago went to New Brunswick in the hope of benefiting her health.
As she continued to grow worse, Mr. HUGHES brought her home on Saturday last
and stopped at the home of Mr. HUNTER in place of going to their own home on
Academy street.  Death was caused by Bright¹s Disease.  Mrs. HUGHES was
married six years ago.  She leaves a daughter four years of age besides her
husband.  The funeral will be held on Monday from the First Reformed Church,
Academy street.

HUGHES ­ On Friday, August 5th, Ella Wyckoff HUNTER, beloved wife of William
Westley HUGHES and daughter of Jacob B. HUNTER.  Services will be held on
Monday, August 8th, at the First Reformed Church, Academy street, Long
Island City, at 1:30 o¹clock.

Emilie C. ELBERT
A sore affliction came upon the family of Jury Notice Server William ELBERT
on Tuesday morning last in the death of his second eldest daughter, Emilie
C., who had just reached her nineteen year of her age.  Bright¹s disease was
the cause of her demise.  The young woman was born on Franklin street,
Greenpoint, and graduated from public school No. 22 Java street, and also
from the High School, Brooklyn.  She was one of the most proficient scholars
that ever entered a school, and it was her delight to study and be at the
head of her class.  Every month, when the list of those receiving
certificates for punctuality, deportment and proficiency in studies in
Public School No. 22 was issued, the names of the deceased and her sister
would be first.  Miss ELBERT was a member of St. John¹s Lutheran Church on
Milton street, and although usually modest and retiring, she had a large
circle of friends.  Mr. and Mrs. ELBERT have the sympathy of the community
in which they have so long been beloved and respected, in the irreparable
loss they have sustained.
The last sad rites over the remains of the departed were held yesterday
afternoon from her late residence, 146 Franklin street.  There was a large
attendance of sympathizing relatives and friends, including many of the
school mates of the deceased and a numerous attendance of the members of
Herder Lodge, No. 698, Free and Accepted Masons, of which Mr. ELBERT is a
respected Past Master.  There were many beautiful and significant floral
tributes  bearing appropriate inscriptions.  Miss ELBERT was attired in
white and rested naturally in an extension casket of white.  The Rev. F. W.
OSWALD, pastor of St. John¹s Lutheran Church, conducted the solemn services.
He read consolatory selections from the Bible and made impressive addresses
in English and German.  He referred to the life and character of the
deceased, and offered appropriate religious consolation to the bereaved
family.  There were many who wept when viewing the remains for the last
time.  The interment was made in Lutheran Cemetery under the direction of
Mr. Chris TREBER.

ELBERT- On Tuesday , August 2d, 1898, Emilie C., beloved daughter of William
and Barbara ELBERT, in the nineteenth year of her age. The funeral took
place from her late residence, 142 Franklin street, Greenpoint, yesterday
afternoon and the interment was made in Lutheran Cemetery.

Mrs. Elizabeth KELTON ­ On August 4th, Mrs. Elizabeth, wife of Daniel
KELTON, died at her late residence, 82 Franklin street, after a long
illness.  Mrs. KELTON was nearly forty-one years of age and had resided in
Greenpoint all her life.  She was well known and respected and her demise
has awakened widespread sorrow.  The funeral occurred this afternoon at 2
o¹clock from the late residence of the deceased.  There was a large
attendance of sympathizing relatives and friends and several beautiful and
significant floral tributes were tendered.  The interment was made in
Calvary Cemetery under the direction of Mr. W.L. RUSSELL.

KELTON ­ At her late residence, 82 Franklin street, on August 4th, 1898,
Elizabeth, beloved wife of Daniel KELTON, in the 41st year of her age.
Funeral this Saturday August 6th from her late residence at 2 o¹clock.

MURRAY ­ Sadie E. MURRAY, August 3d, aged 18 years.  Funeral August 7th at
2pm, for her late residence,  103 Norman avenue.

James STRICKLAND, who was one of the best known and oldest citizens of
Greenpoint, died on Sunday last at his residence, 181 Java street, in the
eighty fourth year of his age.. He had been failing for some time, and took
to his bed on the 24th of April.  The funeral took place on Wednesday in the
Noble street Baptist Church.  The officiating clergyman were the Rev. John
FINCH and the Rev. Dr. Lewis FRANCIS.  The interment was at Cypress Hills.
Mrs. STRICKLAND, his wife died August 10th, 1885. Mr. STRICKLAND is survived
by three sons and two daughters, namely, John W. and Frank C. of Greenpoint,
Jessie A.D. of Williamsburg,  Mrs. A.M. DAVIS, wife of Theodore DAVIS, the
builder, and Mrs. Henry M. TAIL, wife of the late H.M. TAIL, well known as
an expert accountant.  There are a number of grandchildren, among them Mrs.
George B. GIFFORD, wife of the superintendent of the Pratt Works of the
Standard Oil Company.
Mr. STRICKLAND was one of the old timers of Greenpoint, who are now rapidly
passing away.  He was born in the state  of New York and was married in New
York city by the Rev. Duncan DUNBAR.  He was one of the founders of the
Noble Street Baptist Church and was an ordained senior deacon of the church.
He and his wife were the first persons ever baptized in Greenpoint.  The
baptism took place in the East river at old Pottery Beach in 1851 and it was
necessary to cut the ice in order to perform the rite.  He had held office
in the Noble Street Baptist Church from 1858, a period of forty years.  As a
young man he was in the employ of Henry STEERS, who built the famous yacht
America which won the Queen¹s cup.  He was also engaged in work on the Great
Eastern.  He retired from business in 1872.  He always stood high in the
community as an honest, energetic, God fearing man,  who loved to sit for
years under his own vine and fig tree, to quote the Bible, and saw children
and grandchildren grow up before him, all of whom he loved and by whom he
was beloved in return.  Greenpoint was a hamlet when he came here, and not
it has a population of 65,000 and he grew in grace and wisdom with the lapse
of years.

Drowning Accident.
Repeat of BOWE [Aug 1], with the exception it says here aged fifty-five
[previously it said aged 60].

9 August 1898
John KENDEL, of 51 Jewel street, Greenpoint, was at work in Hoboken on
Sunday helping to paint the German steamship, Victoria Augusta, when he lost
his footing, fell, struck his head against the pier and landed in the water.
He was immediately rescued from the water, but he remained unconscious until
he died from his injuries.

16 August 1898
ELLIS ­ Monday, August 15th, Ida E., daughter of the late William H. and
Mary P. ELLIS. Funeral services will be held at the late residence, 228 Hart
street, Brooklyn, on Wednesday evening, August 17th, at 8 o¹clock.

17 August 1898
Girl Drowned.
Sad Fate of Little Lizzie DECKER of Greenpoint.
Lizzie DECKER of 192 Freeman street and Katie COSTELLO of 196 Freeman
street, both aged nine years, went to play on the Kent street dock on
Tuesday aftenoon.
Lizzie ventured too near the end of the pier and slipped into the river and
was drowned.
Katie hurried back to Freeman street and told the awful news to Lizzie¹s
parents.  The DECKER family are almost distracted.
The body of the little girl had not been found up to Wednesday noon.

Charles SCHERER Dead.
He Fell From the Fire Escape at His Residence on Sunday.
Charles SCHERER, twenty-seven years old, a laborer, who fell from the fire
escape in the rear of his home at 83 Greenpoint avenue, on Sunday,
fracturing his skull, died on Tuesday in the Eastern District Hospital.
SCHERER climbed from the window to the fire escape so as to be able to see
the boats going up the river.  He had heard the whistle of a passing
steamer, which he thought was an army transport from Santiago with troops
for the camp at Montauk Point.  In his anxiety to ascertain this he missed
his footing and fell through the opening to the yard, striking upon his
When Ambulance Surgeon CAFFREY arrived he pronounced SCHERER¹s injuries
slight, and refused to remove him to the Eastern District Hospital.  An hour
later the surgeon returned after a consultation with the hospital
authorities, and took him to the institution.

Died in the Depot.
Mrs. August LEVY of 301 West Forty-second street, Manhattan, died suddenly
Tuesday evening at the Long Island Railroad depot.  Accompanied by her son,
Casper LEVY, and her daughter, Mrs. Esther FREY, she came to Long Island
City to go to Rockaway Beach.  The ambulance was summoned from St. John¹s
Hospital after she was taken sick, but she was pronounced dead by Dr. HALL
when it arrived.  The body was removed to the Seventy-Fifth Precinct station
house and the Coroner was notified.  She was seventy years of age.

18 August 1898
Body Found in Jamaica Bay.
The body of a man was found in Jamaica bay, off the Henry street pier at
Rockaway Beach, on Tuesday night.  The man was about forty-five years old,
weighed about 200 pounds, and was clad in dark clothing.  There was a
memoranda pad in one of the pockets, but no writing upon it.  There was also
a pawn ticket, No. 1,943, issued by James J. SAVOR, of No. 40 Franklin
street, Greenpoint.  It was issued in the name of JOHNSON, and was for a
ring.  It was dated on August 6th last, and the amount advanced was fifty
cents.  The face of the man was clean shaven, except for a moustache.

Mrs. Mary NEARY, thirty-five years old, of 65 Huron street, sent her three
children out to play on Wednesday evening after affectionately kissing them,
and then killed herself.  When her husband arrived home at 6 o¹clock he
found his wife lying dead on the kitchen floor with a carbolic acid bottle
in her hand.  Ambulance Surgeon GLENNON was called from St. Catharine¹s
Hospital, but he said the woman had been dead an hour.

Jacob DE BEVOISE died at his home in Richmond Hill on Tuesday after an
illness of several weeks.  His death was caused by a complication of
diseases.  The funeral occurred at 2 o¹clock this Thursday afternoon from
his home and the interment was at Cypress Hills Cemetery.  The deceased was
a son of the late John I. DE BEVOISE of Long Island City and a brother of
Mrs. COLYER of Academy street.  He leaves a widow and three children.

Florence MAHER the nine months old daughter of Officer James MAHER of the
Seventy-Fifth Precinct, died on Sunday afternoon after an illness of two
weeks.  The funeral took place on Tuesday from the residence, 177 Fourth street.

19 August 1898
The funeral of the late Frank ADAMS occurred on Saturday last from the
family residence, 366 Hancock street, and was largely attended.  Interment
was made in Calvary Cemetery.

On Monday last Miss Ida E. ELLIS, daughter of the late William H. ELLIS,
died at the family residence, 228 Hart street, Brooklyn.  The deceased
resided in Greenpoint with her parents up to the time of their removal to
Brooklyn about eight years ago.  Her illness was of a protracted nature and
she received the benefits of the best medical skill and the most tender
nursing.  The funeral service was held on Wednesday evening at her late
residence at 8 o¹clock.  In the absence of her pastor, the Rev. Cornelius
WOELFKIN, the exercises were conducted by Mr. HUGHES.  There were many
beautiful and significant floral tokens bearing appropriate inscriptions.
There was a large attendance of sympathizing relatives and friends at the
solemn services.  The remains were taken to Nyack on the Hudson on Thursday
for interment in the family plot.

20 August 1898
Died From His Injuries.
Andrew GALLAGHER, the truckman, who injured his spine a few days ago by a
fall in the yards of the Barber Asphalt Paving Company, died at St. John¹s
Hospital on Thursday night about 8 o¹clock.  He lived at 55 Dupont street,

DAVIS ­ The brothers of Lexington Council, No. 293 Knights of Columbus, will
meet at the council rooms Sunday, August 21st at 1 pm to attend the funeral
of our late brother Thomas R. DAVIS, from his late residence, No. 299 South
Second street.  B. LAMB, Grand Knight  M. MC ENROE, Financial Secretary.

The funeral of the late Thomas R. DAVIS will take place on Sunday from the
family residence, 299 South street, Williamsburg.  Lexington Council No.293
Knights of Columbus will attend the ceremonies.  Mr. DAVIS was widely known
in Brooklyn where he had many friends.

ELLIS ­ Monday, August 15th, Ida E., daughter of the late William H. and
Mary P. ELLIS.

25 August 1898
Drowned in Jamaica Bay.
William A. KELLY, a boy of thirteen years, who lives in New York, was
drowned Wednesday afternoon in Jamaica bay.  He was out in a row boat with
two other boys.  A sail boat, the Midget, which was in charge of Louis H.
DODGE, ran the row boat down and capsized it.  The boys were all thrown into
the water but two of them were rescued.  The body of young KELLY was
recovered along in the evening.

27 August 1898
George LOVE.
The funeral of the late George LOVE took place from the family residence,
210 Freeman street, on Tuesday afternoon.  The Rev. Dr. LAWRENCE officiated.
Gideon Temple conducted services in the evening.  The interment was made in
Mount Olivet Cemetery.  The deceased was forty-one years of age. He leaves a
wife and four children.  He died on Sunday.  He had been for many years in
the employ of John STEVENSON.

Mrs. Sarah KELLOCK.
On Monday last Mrs. Sarah KELLOCK, the beloved wife of James KELLOCK, the
well known batallion chief of the Fire Department, died after a short
illness, and thereby caused a family largely respected in this community to
be plunged into a state of irreparable grief and sorrow.  The deceased was
forty-nine years of age, and for upwards of twenty-five years had resided in
Greenpoint.  It was in the Seventeenth Ward that she was married to Mr.
KELLOCK in 1873, and for many years was an active, intelligent worker in the
Greenpoint Methodist Episcopal Church, taking more than an ordinary interest
in every channel of church work.  It was in the Ladies¹ Aid Society, where
she figured very prominently, and when her family removed to Flatbush a year
or so ago her departure was greatly felt.  She nevertheless continued her
interest in the church and attended as often as circumstances would permit.
The nature of Mrs. KELLOCK¹s ailment rendered it necessary to undergo an
operation, and while it was said that the operation was successful her death
ensued from exhaustion on Tuesday.  It was thought that a life of continued
usefulness was before her as she gave evidence of health and vigor.  The
intelligence of her death caused widespread sorrow and led many of the
church people to attend the solemn and impressive services conducted
Thursday evening at the late residence of the deceased, 163 Clarkson street,
Flatbush.  The Rev. A.S. KAVANAGH, former pastor of the Tabernacle Methodist
Episcopal Church, now of South Norwalk, Conn., who knew Mrs. KELLOCK and had
ample opportunity to attest her Christian life and character, conducted the
exercises and extolled her virtues and comforted the stricken family with
the consolations of the gospel.  He made an effective address and brought
tears to the eyes of many.  There was a very large assemblage of relatives
and friends at the service and many beautiful floral tokens were observed
including a handsome and significant one from the Ladies¹ Aid Society of the
Tabernacle Methodist Episcopal Church.  There was a quartet from the choir
of the church, consisting of Messrs. George BARKER, tenor; Gilbert BARKER,
Jr, basso; Miss Love RITCH, soprano, and Mrs. Devine COLES, contralto, and
they very sweetly rendered "Asleep in Jesus" and "I Live for Him."  The
interment was made yesterday morning in the family plot in Greenwood Cemetery.

29 August 1898
Memorial Service.
There was a large attendance at the W.C.T.U. rooms, 785 Manhattan avenue, on
Sunday afternoon, the occasion being services in memory of the late John N.STEARNS.

William H. LUDLUM died at the home of his son-in-law, John W. BERGEN, 262
Cumberland street, Brooklyn, Sunday.  He was eighty-one years old and was
born in Jamaica.  After learning the trade of a wheelwright and carriage
painter he went into the carriage making business in New York.  The firm
name was LUDLUM & SMITH.  For several years he conducted a grocery store at
Fulton and Washington street and later returned to Jamaica where he engaged
in house painting.  Twenty years ago he went to Painsville, Ohio, where he
managed a farm until four years ago when he returned to Brooklyn.  He was
twice married and leaves one son and a daughter by his first wife.  A
brother, who is ninety-one years old, is still living in Jamaica, where the
burial will take place Tuesday.  Mr. LUDLUM was a member of the Central
Presbyterian Church in Brooklyn.

2 September 1898
Henry MASON, a former well known resident of Greenpoint, died on Saturday
last at the family residence, 153 Lexington avenue, Brooklyn.  Mr. MASON was
one of the best mechanical engineers and engine builders in the United
States.  For several years he was chief engineer of the Water Department of
Chicago, Ill. and during those years he was a regular subscriber to the
STAR.  Each time that he came East on a visit he invariably visited the STAR
office and expressed his pleasure and appreciation at the receipt of a
medium that kept him so well posted about his relatives and old time friends
and associates in Greenpoint.  After he gave up the position he held in
Chicago, he returned east and took up his residence in Brooklyn, and while
it was possible he came often to visit his brother, Mr. Thomas MASON, who
lost his eyesight several years ago and resides at No. 161 Meserole avenue.
Shortly after taking up his residence in Brooklyn Mr. MASON was made
of the Quintard Engine and Boiler Works, New York, and he had the work of
building the engines for the ill-fated battleship Maine under his immediate
supervision.  He was taken sick in February last when the Maine was blown up
in the harbor of Havana, Cuba, and while his illness was not of a dangerous
type, news of the disaster preyed upon his mind and was doubtless the means
of accelerating his death.  It was his thought by day and his dream by night
and nothing could divert his mind and attention from the disaster.  During
his long illness Mr. Thomas MASON visited his brother and comforted him as
best he could under the circumstances.  The cause of death was fatty
degeneration of the heart.  Death came on Saturday last and the funeral
occurred on Tuesday evening.  The deceased was sixty-nine years of age.  He
had a very large circle of acquaintances.  He belonged to Henry Clay Lodge,
Free and Accepted Masons.  The funeral was largely attended.  The interment
was made in the family plot on Wednesday morning.

George GALBRAITH Drowned.
George GALBRAITH, who was fifty years old and lived at 657 Manhattan avenue,
Greenpoint went with his wife to Prospect Park on Wednesday night of last
week.  A storm arose and Mrs. GALBRAITH ran to shelter.  When she looked
around her husband had disappeared.  The police were notified and at last
began looking for the man.  On Sunday his body was found in Rockaway Inlet,
near Barren Island.  Its identity was discovered Monday when a son of the
drowned man went to Canarsie and viewed the body.

At his residence, 211 Monitor street, Thursday afternoon, September 1st,
Theodore A., youngest son of Theodore A. and Ida M. POWELL, in the 5th year
of his age.  Funeral services this Saturday evening , September 3d at 8
o¹clock, at the residence of his parents.  Interment at convenience of family.
After less than two days' illness Theodore A. POWELL, Jr. the youngest son
of Theodore A. and Ida M. POWELL, died at ten minutes past 4 o¹clock on
Thursday afternoon at the residence of his parents, No. 211 Monitor street.
The deceased was born at 149 Oakland street less than five years ago and
though he had been subject to many infantile ailments he was remarkably
bright and precocious and was becoming apparently rugged and healthful.  On
Tuesday night he was unusually bright and chipper and was playing in and
about the house until 9 o¹clock.  Shortly after he retired an intestinal
trouble arose and notwithstanding the prompt attendance of the family
physician and the most tender and watchful care, he passed away after being
a greater portion of the time unconscious.  Peritonitis was the cause of
death, and a respected family is thereby plunged into a condition of sorrow
and grief at the irreparable loss they have sustained.  They have the
sympathy and affectionate consideration of a numerous circle of friends,
who, while they cannot assuage the poignancy of the family¹s grief, they can
at least direct their attention to "Him who noteth even the fall of a
sparrow" and pray that He will not leave them comfortless, but will buoy
them up in this trying hour.  The last sad rites over the remains of this
darling household pet will be held in this evening at the residence of his
parents, 211 Monitor street and the interment will be made in the family
plot in Cypress Hills Cemetery tomorrow at the convenience of the grief
stricken family.

NOTE:See also May 21, 2002 post: Anniversary ­ 
POWELL regarding this family in the NYBROOKLYN Archives

(7 September 1898)
The Last Sad Rites.
There was a large and sorrowful company at 211 Monitor street on Saturday
evening, September 3d, when the funeral service over the remains of Theodore
A. POWELL, Jr, was held.  There were more than a (sc?)ore of beautiful and
significant floral tributes, one of the most conspicuous of which was a
standing wreath with dove and at the base were the words "Our Little
Playmate."  A company of about thi(rt?)y children brought this tribute to
the sorrowing home an hour or so before the services.  A large pillow with
"Our Darling," a cornucopia with "Our Little Friend," a pillow with "Our
Teddie," and other pieces, bearing appropriate inscription came from the
Sunday School of the Universalist Church and from relatives and friends,
attesting to the fact that the deceased, though young, had endeared himself
to the hearts of many.
The Rev. B.F. KIDDER, Ph.D., pastor of the Tabernacle Methodist Episcopal
Church, and the Rev. William HAMILTON, pastor of the South Third Street
Methodist Episcopal Church, conducted the services and each clergyman read
consolatory passages of scripture and made appropriate addresses.  Dr.
KIDDER sang "Jesus Love of My Soul"  The interment was made in the family
plot at Cypress Hills Cemetery Sunday afternoon and the remains were
committed to the ground by the Rev. Mr. HAMILTON.  
The undertaker was Oscar A. BOCH.

Mrs. Nicholas T. WALSH, nee Miss Katie DELMORE, formerly of Greenpoint, died
at St. Catharine¹s Hospital on Tuesday morning at 6 o¹clock, after an
operation for appendicitis had been performed.  Early in last week Mrs.
WALSH and child and a few intimate lady friends started out for Wallkill,
Ulster County, with the intention of spending a few weeks¹ pleasant
vacation.  Such was not to be, however, for on Thursday evening Mrs. WALSH
was taken suddenly ill.  A physician was summoned and after an examination
diagnosed the case as appendicitis.  Word was immediately telegraphed to her
husband.  He, in company with her mother and a few friends started for the
country to bring her back.  Upon reaching Brooklyn, Dr. KENNEDY, head
surgeon of St. Catharine¹s Hospital was summoned, and he said the operation
should be performed as quickly as possible.  She was accordingly removed to
the hospital and the operation performed, which proved successful, but the
young woman¹s heart could not stand the strain of such an ordeal and she
succumbed.  Her untimely demise is much regretted in Greenpoint, where she
has many friends and acquaintances.  The deceased was married to Nicholas T.
WALSH on November 18th, 1896, and a son soon blessed their union.  They
occupied apartments at 1140 Lafayette avenue, and everything pointed to a
long and cheerful married life.  She was of a jovial disposition,
open-hearted, and made friends of all with whom she come in contact.  She
was in the twenty-seventh year of her age and had resided in Greenpoint all
her life.  The funeral occurred yesterday from her late residence and was
largely attended by Greenpoint people.  The interment was in New Calvary Cemetery.

Mr. William A. PRICE, the well known Past Commander of ST. Elmo Commandery,
No. 57, Knights Templar, met with a serious bereavement  yesterday in the
death of his beloved mother, Mrs. Mary J. PRICE, at his residence, 572
Lorimer street, corner of Norman avenue.  Mrs. PRICE had been ill for
several months, though the sickness which resulted in her demise was only a
week¹s duration.  Mrs. PRICE was.... [rest missing]

5 September 1898
A Father¹s Sad Discovery.
Came From Michigan to See His Son Who He Supposed Was Sick and Found Him Dead.
Roscoe ALLEN of Milan, Mich., reached this city on Sunday afternoon in
search of his son Clayton ALLEN, nineteen years old, a private in Company F,
Thirty-fourth Michigan who he supposed was sick in St. John¹s Hospital here.
Clayton ALLEN was the young soldier who died on Friday evening last as the
regiment was passing through here on its way home.  Mr. ALLEN was informed
by telegraph that his son was sick.  The message was sent before the boy
died and after he had been given into the care of the Red Cross by his
captain.  The father did not know of his son¹s death when he reached the
When the boy died Mrs. HAMMOND and Miss REID, in charge of the Red Cross
station, directed an undertaker to embalm the body and keep it until word
was received from his family.  Coroner GUY did not take up the case until
Saturday night.  When he called at the undertaking establishment to take the
necessary steps for the removal of the body he found it uncared for, he
says.  It had not been embalmed or iced and decomposition had set in.  The
Coroner at once caused the removal of the body to another undertaking
establishment where it was cared for as far as possible.  When Mr. ALLEN
looked at the body on Sunday he could not recognize it.  Identity was
established by a comrade of the soldier who was in the hospital, and said
the photograph of the young man shown him was that of ALLEN whom he knew in
the regiment and who died as he lay beside him in the ambulance.  The name
Clayton ALLEN was found written on the young man¹s knapsack.  At the Red
Cross station and at the Coroner¹s office the name had been entered as
George, and this caused the confusion and the necessity for identification.

The body of the late J.S.T. STRANAHAN arrived from Saratoga Sunday morning
at the house No. 269 Union street, Brooklyn.  The remains reached the Grand
Central Station in Manhattan at 7:20 o¹clock and were met by George DUTCHER
and old friend of the family, and Undertaker STAFFORD.  Accompanying the
body from Saratoga were Mrs. STRANAHAN; the married daughter, Mrs. Mary S.
CROZSON; the nephew, J. Stranahan BURKE, and the nurse who had attended Mr.
STRANAHAN for several years.  It was announced on Monday that the funeral
would take place on Tuesday.

The intensity of the heat on Friday, the ? inst was the cause of the sudden
death of George L. FEDDEN, a former well known business man of this section
of the Borough of Brooklyn.  He was in Greenpoint on the morning of the day
he died.  Mr. FEDDEN¹s funeral occurred on Monday afternoon at 2 o¹clock
from the residence of his brother, 979 East One Hundred and Forty Ninth
street, Borough of the Bronx.  The deceased was forty-two years of age.
There are many in Greenpoint who will remember Mr. FEDDEN and regret to
learn of his death.

On Saturday last Mrs. Almira DEAN, widow of the late Solomon DEAN, died
suddenly.  The deceased had resided in Greenpoint many years.  The funeral
service occurred on Monday night at the residence of her daughter, 610
Lorimer street, when the Rev. W.H. LAWRENCE, D.D. officiated.  The interment
was made the next day.

The funeral of the late Patrick MC DAVITT took place on Tuesday morning at
St. Anthony¹s Church when a requiem mass was said for the repose of his
soul.  The interment was at Calvary Cemetery.  The deceased was seventy-two
years of age and has long resided at 156 Dupont street.  He leaves a wife,
six daughters and three sons.

The funeral of the late Joseph E.B. MUNSON trustee of the Noble Street
Baptist Church, took place on Tuesday afternoon from the church.  He had
long resided at 117 Calyer street.  Death was due to paralysis.  The
interment was in Greenwood Cemetery.

8 September 1898
The funeral of Thomas O¹BRIEN occurred Wednesday afternoon and the body was
interred in Calvary Cemetery with military honors.  Since the death of
private O¹BRIEN the body had been at Conway¹s undertaking establishment on
Jackson avenue.  The body had a Seventy-first uniform on and was inclosed in
an oak casket.
Captain Malcolm A. RAFFERTY of Company F of which O¹BRIEN was a member had
charge of the funeral arrangements.  The corpse was placed in a hearse and
the procession started from the undertaker¹s a little before three o¹clock.
A detachment of ten men from the Seventy-first Regiment under command of
Corporal OGDEN acted as military escort.  Eight pall bearers, also
Seventy-first Regiment men walked on either side of the hearse.  Captain
RAFFERTY and a Lieutenant of the Seventy-first walked just behind the hearse
and behind them came a few carriages most of them empty, evidently for the
purpose of bringing back those who marched up to the cemetery.

John RYAN, who was taken to the hospital on Monday, died early Tuesday

9 September 1898
Mrs. Easter ROONEY, for many years a resident of Greenpoint, died on
Tuesday.  The deceased was born in the Parish of Milltown, Westmeath,
Ireland.  The funeral occurred on Thursday and was largely attended.  There
was a requiem mass for the repose of her soul at St. Anthony¹s Roman
Catholic Church on Thursday morning.  Rev. P.F. O¹HARE officiated.  The
interment was made in Calvary Cemetery.

10 September 1898
Killed On The Track.
Sad Fate of Thomas STANN, Who Resided in Greenpoint.
Three hours after his engine had killed a man at a crossing, Engineer John
FOLEY was released from arrest and assigned Thursday, with his locomotive to
carry President MC KINLEY and his party from Long Island City to Montauk.
FOLEY was in charge of the engine hauling a trainload of sick soldiers out
of Montauk Thursday and at the Penny Bridge crossing the engine struck and
instantly killed Thomas STANN, twenty eight years old of Kent street and
Manhattan avenue, Greenpoint, an employee of the Laurel Hill Chemical Works.

The funeral of the late Daniel MULLER, of 282 Ninth avenue, took place of
Friday of last week from the family residence.  Mr. MULLER was one of the
oldest pioneers of the German Settlement and had resided thereabouts for
twenty five years.  He was one of the early builders of the section and
helped in great measure toward the progress of the region.  Mr. MULLER was
sixty four years of age at the time of his death.  He leaves three sons and
three daughters, all adults, to mourn his loss.  The Rev. Dr. STEINFUHRER
officiated at the funeral.

Death of a Hero.
Firs Sergeant Herman ZIEGNER of the Seventy-first Passes Away.
Another Seventy-first Regiment hero died at St. John¹s Hospital on Friday
evening.  He was First Sergeant Hermann ZIEGNER, a native of Germany, but
one of the first to enlist when volunteers were called for.  He sacrificed
his position and his home was broken up in order that he might serve his
adopted country.
Two weeks after the regiment landed at Montauk he came to Long Island City
on a furlough suffering from pernicious malaria.  For a day or two he was
able to sit up and since his arrival two weeks ago he has been able to sit
up now and then for a day, but gradually grew worse.  Dr. BRENNAN attended
him during the two weeks he was in Long Island City, not only free of
charge, but he also furnished the medicine.  He gave the case the most
careful attention and on Tuesday assisted Mrs. ZIEGNER in finding a place
for his admission to a private hospital in New York.  The hospital has no
ambulance, liverymen were afraid to allow the use of their carriages for a
fever patient, and the Red Cross ambulance had more to do than could be
attended to.  When a carriage was finally secured Sergeant ZIEGNER was too
weak to ride in one.  On Thursday evening he was taken to St. John¹s
Hospital.  Mrs. ZIEGNER accompanied her husband to the hospital and was
permitted to sit by his side until death, which occurred at 8 o¹clock Friday
The sergeant was born in Germany thirty-two years ago.  He came to America
when fourteen years old.  Several years ago he enlisted in Troop E of the
Seventh Cavalry and was stationed out on the frontier for several years
serving in Indian wars.  In 1890 he was presented with a medal of honor by
Congress for bravery.  On the back of the medal is inscribed the words: "The
Congress Presented to Hermann ZIEGNER, Troop E, Seventh Cavalry, Sioux Campaign."
After eight years service he was honorably discharged and came to New York.
At the breaking out of the war he was employed as a night watchman at the
safe deposit vaults in the Equitable Building.  He went out with the
Seventy-first Regiment as First Sergeant of Company E, and suffered all the
privation and hardship endured by the members of the Seventy-first in the
Santiago campaign.
Mr. ZIEGNER was married four years ago.  He left no children, but his widow
will soon become a mother.  They lived on One Hundred and Twenty-fourth
street, between Seventh and Lenox avenues, New York.  Mr. ZIEGNER¹s salary
was not continued after he left his regiment, and Mrs. ZIEGNER was obliged
to give up her house.  Mrs. E. BRACKEN of 86 Seventh street, Long Island
City, who has known the family for years gave up her house and Sergeant
ZIEGNER was there until he went in the hospital.  He hoped to go back to his
work on the 15th inst.
Those who knew Sergeant ZIEGNER speak of him in the highest terms as a man.
He was a fine specimen of manhood, over six feet in height and possessing a
splendid physique. "After the battle was over I had no fears for him," said
Mrs. ZIEGNER.  "He was so strong I felt certain he would come back all right."
The funeral will be held Sunday afternoon from the house at 86 Seventh
street, and the interment will be in Calvary Cemetery.

15 September 1898
Woman Shot and Her Head Crushed on Staten Island.
Dead Man Found in a Furniture Van in New York
More of the Bridgeport Mystery.

With his head crushed in as though by the blow of a club, the body of
Patrick CONLIN was found in a furniture van at One Hundred and
Thirty-seventh street and Fifth avenue this morning.
The pockets of the man¹s clothing had been rifled.  Detectives of the East
One Hundred and Twenty-sixth street police station say that they have
evidence which shows that CONLIN was murdered by an enemy.

Lying in the morgue at Clifton, Staten Island, is the body of a woman,
apparently a person of refinement.  A bullet wound in the right temple shows
how her death was caused, but who the woman is, and whether the bullet was
fired by her own hand or by an assassin are mysteries which the police have
yet to clear up.

And Another.
Another shooting affray, resulting in the death of one man, was added to a
long list of similar affrays in the Italian colony near Carroll street and
Hamilton avenue, Brooklyn, last night.  The police were satisfied this
morning that the victim, Eugene O¹DEA of 57 Carroll street, was an innocent
spectator and that they had cleared up the mystery surrounding the identity
of the man who fired the fatal shot.

And Still Another.
A dispatch from Bridgeport today says that the body of the woman found in
sections in Yellow Mill Pond has not yet been identified.  The police say
there will be important developments in the next few hours.  Coroner DOTEN
made the announcement today that the inquest had been postponed until
tomorrow morning.

17 September 1898
The funeral of the late Mrs. Emily M. DE SILVA took place from the family
residence, 673 Leonard street, on Monday.  The Rev. J. A. DENNISTON

20 September 1898
The funeral of the late Eugene DALE took place on Monday morning from the
family residence, 113 Newell street.  The interment was in Calvary Cemetery.
The deceased was widely known in Greenpoint.  He leaves a wife and four

Captain Allyn CAPRON, First Artillery U.S.A. who died of typhoid fever at
his residence in Virginia, was a cousin of Timothy HAWKSHURST of Greenpoint.
Captain CAPRON¹s son, Captain Allyn CAPRON, Jr, of the Rough Riders, was
killed at the battle of La Guasimus.  Captain CAPRON, Sr., contracted the
fever of which he died near Santiago.

Murder in Williamsburg.
Andrew CASSAGUE was found strangled to death in his own house, No. 253 North
Sixth street, Williamsburg, early this morning.
Two men are under arrest as suspects.  His wife has marks on her throat
which she says were made by two or three men who strangled her husband.
Five hundred dollars, which she says she and her husband had saved, is
Eight other families live in the house, but heard no noise.
The wife is hysterical, and tells contradictory stories.

23 September 1898
The funeral of Henry REW, of Company G, Twentieth United States Infantry,
brother of Mrs. Margaret HANLON, of Oakland and Java streets, took place on
Monday.  He died at St. Catharine¹s Hospital on Friday last.  The interment
was in Mrs. HANLON¹s plot in Cypress Hills Cemetery.  He had been a resident
of Wellington, Kansas.

A Hero Gone.
Death of a Young Greenpointer Who Enlisted in the Regular Army.
Another victim of Camp Wikoff, Montauk Point, Frederick M. HOLM, private in
Company G, Eighth United States Infantry was laid at rest in Linden Hills
Cemetery on Monday, and around the open grave, in the bright autumnal
sunshine, stood a mother and father and other members of the family almost
prostrate with grief.  And there they left the body, and the grave digger
silently threw on the dull clods of earth, and the family returned to their
desolate home at 169 Eckford street.
He would not complain, said a brother, in conversation a few days later. He
was a soldier to the last.  He had accepted whatever was to come, and there
was never a murmur.
And then, the brother added, in reply to a remark, that it was tough, saying
that if he must die now, it was good to think that he had died in so noble a cause.
Mrs. HOLM, the mother, was seen at the home and could not talk.  She wished
to be alone and in silence with her grief.
The funeral at the house on Sunday night was one of the most affecting
scenes ever witnessed in Greenpoint.  There was a large congregation and
many tears were shed.
Wrapped in the American Flag.
The casket stood in the front parlor, and wrapped around it was a large silk
American flag ­ the Stars and Stripes ­ for which the hero gave up his life
in a lingering death, worse in its prolonged misery than that to be found on
the battle field.
In groups here and there in the parlors were to be seen members of
organizations like the Young Men¹s Christian Association, Barbara Frietchie
Post, the Young Men¹s Republican Club, Camps R. V. Young and James McLeer of
the Sons of Veterans, etc.
There was singing of the hymns the deceased had loved to hear, for he had
been a consistent member of St. John¹s Church, and the pastor, Rev. F.W.
OSWALD, in his remarks paid fitting tribute to the many good qualities of
the young man whose body now lay apparently peacefully sleeping before them.
There were numerous floral offerings on and about the casket.
The front of Keramos Hall, occupied by the Young Men¹s Republican Club, is
draped in black in memory of this brave young many who knew not fear.
A Patriotic Incident.
The deceased was to have been married as soon as he was released from the
army to Miss Adelina HELLMAN, daughter of August HELLMAN of 236 Eckford street.
He died of typhoid fever on Friday, the 16th.  He was unconscious for a week
before death.  He had arrived at Camp Wikoff two weeks before his death, in
the troopship Mobile, emaciated, weak, hungry and with fever, contracted in
Cuba, already in his veins.  He had not been really well all summer, but he
fought bravely at El Caney and was in the storming of the blockhouse on San
Juan Hill which is likely to become famous in future history.  He was in the
hospital corps, but insisted on going into the field where he felt that he
could be of more service.  He was counseled against such rashness in his
state of health, but contended that it was not rashness, but duty.  His
consciousness was almost astonishing at any rate to those who think a good
deal of their comfort.
He was made an acting corporal for his bravery and was highly complimented
for his soldierly qualities by the captain of his company when in the
trenches before Santiago.  He did not seem to know the meaning of fear and
he had chivalric qualities and kindness of heart that made him comparable to
a Bayard.  He was in his element as a soldier.  The life appeared to suit
him perfectly.  His gun, his accoutrements, uniform, etc., were always up to
the mark.  No dirty gun was ever flung back to him by an inspecting officer.
No soldier passed a better inspection.  He took to the drill as one to the
manner born.  Reveille always showed him and ready.  Taps found him prepared
for sleep, unless on detail.  He never shirked guard duty.  Dress parade he
participated in amid the panoply of war, when often he was ready to drop
from exhaustion.
All this seems easy enough in some snug government post or fort, but try it
under the disadvantage of Cuban soil, and in a hostile country where dress
parade is often eliminated and a fight with the enemy takes its place.
A volunteer often finds vent in grumbling, even to his officers, on the
American theory that all men are created equal, the officers often giving a
half tacit approval to the idea, but try it once in the regular army before
a West Pointer and the guard house and court martial is the result.
It is stated that Mr. HOLM had bright prospects before him.  He had a chance
of promotion to a lieutenancy, and that would have satisfied his ambition.
He was only twenty two years of age at the time of his death and had been a
salesman in New York before his enlistment.  One of his brothers had been
with him at Camp Wikoff for a week before his death.  He is remembered well
at Public School No. 34, where he attended only a few years ago and
afterward graduated from Brooklyn High School and the Long Island Business
College.  He expected a furlough two days after he was taken sick.

24 September 1898
James MORAN, the workman, who was burned Friday at Fleischmann¹s was
reported to be in a critical condition at St. John¹s Hospital this Saturday
morning.  Up to noon the body of Patrick MC CAFFERY had not been recovered.

27 September 1898
Patrick MC CAFFERY¹s body was found Sunday morning among the debris of the
building of the Eastern Distilling Company, which was destroyed in the
explosion Friday afternoon.

Transcriber:Mimi Stevens