enter name and hit return
DAILY STAR..News 1907
8 January 1907
Announcement has been made by Mr. and Mrs. Adolph UNGER of Browne avenue,
of the engagement of their daughter, Miss Emma, to Frederick JETTER.
Gave Birthday Party for Margaret URBAN
There was a birthday party given to Miss Margaret URBAN at her home, 154
Engert avenue, in honor of her sixteenth birthday. Miss URBAN is a favorite
among young ladies and gentlemen of her set, and she did everything to make
the evening an enjoyable one. All kinds of games were played. Miss M.
URBAN and Miss E. HEINZELMAN sang with great effect, "Since Nellie Went
Away," accompanied by Miss A. URBAN on the piano. Mr. W. LOOS and Mr. G.
MARKERT impersonated several Hebrew characters. Supper was served at 12
o'clock and beautiful decorations adorned the table.
Those present were:
MC CUE, Nellie
VAUGHT, Mr. and Mrs.
URBAN, Ralph, Jr.
SWALLOW, Mr. and Mrs.
URBAN, Mr. Ralph
Whitestone is glad to hear of the recovery of James O'CONNOR, a former
business man of this place and now the proprietor of the Flushing Livery
Stable, from his broken arm, from which he was confined for two weeks in the
hospital. Mr. O'CONNOR was injured in Bayside by his horses becoming
frightened from an approaching automobile and running away. They upset the
wagon on and pitched Mr. O'CONNOR and his friend, Wilson LOWERRE, who was
riding with him, out upon the frozen ground with considerable force. Mr.
LOWERRE was more fortunate than Mr. O'CONNOR and escaped with a general
shake up and some severe bruises.
First Assistant Fire Chief John H. NEWMAN and Mrs. NEWMAN have arrived home
from the Sunny South. Before leaving Florida Mr. NEWMAN sent two crates of
Florida oranges to his friend, James O'CONNELL.
Mrs. Alfred AKERS, accompanied by her son has gone to City Island for a two
13 February 1907
Ties Nuptial Knot
In the Flushing police court Tuesday afternoon Miss Anna CARMODY,
twenty-eight years old, of 1346 Myrtle avenue, Glendale, and James LYSTONS,
thirty-nine years old, of 1344 Myrtle avenue, Glendale were joined in
wedlock by Magistrate Luke J. CONNORTON.
Rev. Father O'FARRELL , at St. Agnes' R.C. Church, North Sixth street,
Brooklyn, on Sunday evening, February 10th united in marriage Mr. Hugh
FAULKNER, of Long Island City, and Miss Kathryn BURNS, of Brooklyn. Mr.
Michael GILDEA, of Long Island City, acted as best man and Miss Annie
MURRAY, of Brooklyn was bridesmaid.
A reception was subsequently held at Kaiser's Hall, Borden and Vernon
avenues, Long Island City. The Hon. M.J. SMITH made a congratulatory speech
in honor of the happy event. Music was furnished during the evening by
Professors SULLIVAN, BRADY, CLARKE and CONNOLLY, of Brooklyn.
Among those present at the wedding and the subsequent festivities were:
CUMMINGS, Mr. and Mrs., of Brooklyn
MULLEN, Mr. Thomas and Miss MULLEN, of Brooklyn
GILDEA, Mr. John and Miss BURNS
RYAN, Mr. and Mrs. Philip
RYAN, Mr. and Mrs. James
CLAVEN, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas
CLAVEN, Mr. and Mrs. Michael
HAGGERTY, Mr. and Mrs. John F.
FAULKNER, Mr. Michael and Miss MURRAY
MULCAHY, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas
CLANCY, Mr. Stephen and Miss Riley, of Manhattan
IRION, Mr. Harry and Miss MULLEN, of Brooklyn
MC CORMICK, Dr. Edward F.
O'BRIEN, Mr. and Mrs. James
CONNELLY, Mr. and Mrs. Patrick
DONNELLY, Mr. Joseph and Miss SMITH
DUGGAN, Mr. John J.
MEEHAN, Mr. James and Miss GILDEA, of Manhattan
KELLY, Mr. James and Miss SHARKEY
DUFFY, Mr. Farrell and Miss COSTELLO
CROKE, Mr. Thomas and Miss RYAN
ALEXANDER, Mr. George and wife, of Whitestone
CLANCY, Mr. John and Miss Irene RYAN, of Manhattan
WALDRON, Mr. John and wife
FOX, Mr. James
BRENNAN, Mr. Daniel and Miss MURPHY, of Manhattan
JENNINGS, Mr. Joseph
MC LOUGHLIN, Mr. Bart and wife
FAULKNER, Mr. Charles
CATHCART, Mr. George
FOX, Mr. Peter
DWYER, Mr. Matthew
SMITH, Mr. Thomas
SHARKEY, Mr. Joseph
LYONS, Mr. William
MANNING, Mr. John
CRAVEN, Mr. Thomas
CASSIDY, Mr. Patrick, wife and daughter
HEWITT, Mr.,wife and daughters.
The groom Mr. FAULKNER holds a responsible position under Mr. J. J.
DONNELLY, the yard master of the Long Island Railroad. He is a gentleman
held in the highest regard by hosts of friends and one and all unite in
wishing him and his charming bride the greatest possible happiness and
success throughout their lifetime.
25 February 1907
Cars are out for the wedding of Miss (???)isa HILSS, daughter of Mr. and
Mrs. Charles HILSS, of No. 163 Newtown road, Long Island City, and Mr.
William J. PAWLOWICH. The happy event will take place at the Church of St.
Joseph, Grand avenue and Grace street, Long Island City, on March 10th.
Mrs. Bertha MAYER, the wife of Max MAYER, slipped on the ice in her backyard
Sunday afternoon and broke her leg. Dr. L.R. MC COLLOM was sent for and
reduced the fracture and placed the broken leg in splints.
Mr. John MORRIS, the proprietor of the Transfer Hotel at Flushing Bridge, is
traveling through the South for recreation and rest. He spent six weeks in
St. Augustine, Fla., and is going to spend a week in Tampa, and make another
short stop at Washington on his way home.
Mrs. GODLEY, the wife of David L. GODLEY, and inspector in the Department of
Gas and Electricity of Queens Borough, and mother of Richard GODLEY, is more
than seriously ill at her home in Whitestone Landing. Mrs. GODLEY has lived
in Whitestone for many years and is greatly liked by her many friends who
regret to hear of her severe illness.
William NICLAS is suffering from an attack of blood poisoning.
Fred HOOKER, a veteran of the Civil War and proprietor of Hooker¹s Hotel at
Whitestone Landing, has had his pension advanced $6 by the recent bill
passed in Congress.
Captain Robert S. MUNSON, who dislocated his shoulder by falling on the ice,
is slowly recovering at his home on Eleventh street. Captain MUNSON was at
one time a commander in the Old Guards and a captain of Company G of the
State Militia that was formed in Whitestone during the Civil War.
5 March 1907
Christian GLOKER, of the Shell road, is slowly recovering from his recent illness.
Daniel ROMAIN, of Hoffman boulevard, Elmhurst, has moved to the Shell road.
Henry TYMANN, of Madison avenue, is recovering from his recent illness.
Mr. William GOLDTHORPE, of No. 113 Elm street, Astoria, who slipped and fell
on the icy pavement in Manhattan a few days ago and sustained serious
injuries, is now convalescent. Mr. GOLDTHORPE has many friends in Astoria
and this announcement will be hailed with great satisfaction by all who know him.
19 March 1907
Anniversary-Astorians Celebrate Golden Wedding.
Mr. and Mrs. Charles W. HALLETT Have a Notable Reunion To-Day at Their Home,
at Which Members of Their Family and Well-Known Residents Will Extend
It is just fifty years ago this Tuesday that Mr. Charles Wesley HALLETT and
Miss Christina Crawford ELLISON were married in the Seventeenth Street
Methodist church, New York City, and the young husband took his bride to
Astoria, where together side by side, sharing life¹s burdens, comforting
each other in the sorrows that are inevitable to poor humanity, and joining
in that happiness which is sure to break, like silver lines in a clouded
sky, in all well ordered lives, their career has indeed been full of honor
and sweet content to themselves, and of supreme usefulness to the entire
community where today they celebrate their golden wedding.
There will be a family reunion at the residence of Mr. and Mrs. HALLETT at
No. 95 Remsen street, Astoria, between 4 and 8 o¹clock this Tuesday at which
it is safe to predict that all the leading families and residents of Astoria
and vicinity, who have known and admired the happy couple for years, will
also be represented.
Six children have blessed the happy union which was consecrated half a
century ago. C. Wesley HALLETT, Jr., Mrs. John STEAD, nee Alletta M.
HALLETT; Fred T. HALLETT, Walter E. HALLETT, Miss Mary E. Evelyn HALLETT,
deceased, and Miss Christina HALLETT. Mrs. STEAD resides with her husband
at Princeton, N.J. and Mr. Walter E. HALLETT, who is also married, has a
delightful home at Tremont. All the other family members of the family live
Mr. HALLETT¹s career.
Mr. Charles W. HALLETT, Sr., is a descendant of one of the oldest families
in Astoria. He was born in New York City July 16th, 1831, but his parents
died when he was only eighteen months old and he was brought to Astoria by
his grandparents with whom he remained until their death. Mr. HALLETT has
been in business for many years at Fulton avenue, Astoria, and has
succeeded, by careful, economic, but at the same time energetic business
methods in a amassing a competency which he now is enjoying as he fully
deserves, in company with the estimable lady, who has been a true helpmate
to him through the long years of their wedded life.
Mr. HALLETT, has always enjoyed the confidence and esteem of his neighbors
and the people of the town with which he has been prominently identified.
He has been a trustee of the Long Island City Savings Bank for many years.
He served two terms as a member of the Common Council of old Long Island
City and has also been a member of the Board of Water Commissioners. He is
a member of Astoria Lodge No. 155, I.O.O.F., and of Advance Lodge, No. 635,
F.& A.M. He is a staunch Republican in politics and is prominently
identified with the Astoria Presbyterian church.
An Old Family.
Mr. HALLETT can trace his family history back to the early colonists to the
William HALLETT, and Englishman, who settled, as it was termed, Astoria.
This William HALLETT obtained from Governor STUYVESANT December 1st, 1652, a
grant of about 160 acres, extending from Sunswick Creek to Berrain Island.
The Indians having destroyed his house and plantation, he removed to
Flushing, but subsequently returned to his homestead, where he lived to the
age of ninety years. Mr. HALLETT was of the Quaker faith, toward which he
displayed a loyalty which left deep impress upon the primitive period in
which he lived. From its original owner that section of what is Greater New
York to-day known as HALLETT¹s cove for 200 years.
On hundred years after HALLETT had here established a home, a descendant,
Joseph HALLETT, together with Joseph BLACKWELL, constructed a grist mill
upon Sunswick Creek, which afterward was operated by BLACKWELL, then by
Hendrick SUYDAM in Revolutionary days.
In 1688 William HALLETT¹s estate was divided between his sons Samuel and
William, the former receiving the lands south, the latter those north of
Main street and Newtown avenues.
20 March 1907
Miss Frances DARMOUR, on of the assistant librarians in the Flushing
Library, has been transferred to Jamaica.
William ZABEL, of 149 Twenty-second street is having a two story frame
cottage erected on Twenty-fourth street.
The Rev. Dean DONNELLY, rector of St. Michael¹s Church, who has been
confined to his home as a result of injuries he sustained by falling on the
ice, is again able to be about town.
William BECKER has opened a fish market on the Shell road.
Mr. and Mrs. HANTZ have moved to Jefferson avenue, Maspeth.
RETURN to NEWSPAPER MAIN
RETURN to BSU MAIN
RETURN to BROOKLYN MAIN