Brooklyn Standard Union ­ Anniversary 1863-1928

Old Williamsburg Came Very Near to Having the Name of Yorktown.
Richard M. WOODHULL and Thomas MORRELL were rival town boosters in the early
part of the nineteenth century.
WOODHULL was for naming the new section Williamsburg and MORRELL was
boosting the name of Yorktown.
Each place had a ferry landing and the Yorktown ferry gained greater public
favor, but the odd quirk of public likes and dislikes soon settled the
For some reason, unknown to any historian, folk who came from New York
picked up the expression "going to Williamsburgh" and it clung ­ even to the
users of the Yorktown ferry, and just by that twist of human nature, the
name of Williamsburgh won out over Yorktown.

Old Williamsburgh's Men of Wealth
The "Solid Men of Williamsburgh" was the name given to a group of moneyed
residents of that section.  A pamphlet published in 1847 and circulated in
the city gave their names and the amount of their wealth.
"A few of the solid men" are given below:
AINSLIE, James - $15,000
BERRY, ichard B. ­ 20,000
COOK, John ­ 20,000
DARLINGTON, Thomas, 10,000
CUMMINGS, Abijah ­ 35,000
GRAVES, Downing G. ­ 25,000
LEAYCRAFT, Richard ­ 200,000
MINTURN, E & H ­ 150,000
ODELL, Jonathan ­ 25,000
POLLEY, Grahams ­ 40,000
RICHARDSON, Lemuel ­ 30,000
SPARKMAN, James D. ­ 300,000
WALL, William ­ 25,000
WATERBURY, J. ­ 175,000
WATERBURY, N. ­ 200,000
VAN DORN, Rev. W.H. ­ 40,000
WITHINGTON, Elijah ­ 30,000

It may be readily seen from this small fragment of the list that the men of
means were not scarce.  James D. SPARKMAN was obviously one of the
plutocrats of the time and Richard LEAYCRAFT came right behind him as
monetary power.

The Origin of Himrod
Himrod Street was named after the Rev. J.S. HIMROD, first pastor of the
South Bushwick Reformed Dutch Church.  The church was founded in 1851, and
was at Bushwick Avenue and Himrod Street.

Enterprising Camera Man of Good Old Days Photographed the Deceased.
John S. SHIPMAN ran a photographic gallery at 146 Court Street in 1862, and
advertised ­ "daguerreotypes copied; landscape copied and views made of
private dwellings."
In a city directory advertisement he announced that persons could have
"pictures taken of deceased persons."
In which he was just a half century ahead of Conan DOYLE.

Brooklyn as Farm Community Had Standing in 1863.
Tilled Acreage was Worth $1,100,000 and Their Products Numerous.
The State census of 1865 gives figures from which an approximation of
Brooklyn's farming activities in 1863 may be arrived at.
Brooklyn had within its city limits 1,100 improved acres, of which 800 were
ploughed.  Its farms were valued at $1,100,000 its stock at $60,000 and
tools and implements at $22,000.
The annual production for 1863 is estimated as 180 tons of hay, 4 acres of
winter wheat, 30 acres of oats, 5 1/2 winter rye, and there were 57 apple
trees in fruit.  These trees produced 200 bushels of apples and 12 barrels
of cider.
There were 720 acres of marked gardens, the products of which were valued
close to $170,000.
Six gallons of grape wine were made during the year and that does not mean
private stock, either.
Twenty pounds of honey were made for distribution.
Under live stock there were 10 calves, 2,900 milch cows, 7 colts, 65 mules,
3 oxen and about 6,500 horses, two years old and upwards.  There were also
approximately 140 pigs and $140 worth of poultry.
Brooklyn produced 100 pounds of butter, 350,000 gallons of milk, 4 beeves
and 12,000 pounds of pork during 1863.  In connection with these figures it
is to be remembered that many persons kept stock for their own purposes.
The figures given are market production.

Old Williamsburg's Police Protection
Williamsburgh had twenty-seven policemen in 1852.  There were three "wards"
with nine policemen to a ward.
After the consolidation with Brooklyn and Bushwick the Fifth Precinct
comprised the Thirteenth and Fourteenth Wards known as the North Side and
South Side.  The station was at Driggs and Metropolitan Avenues and had
thirty-six men on the force by this time.
The Eastern District Police Court was held in "the Cells" on North Fifth Street.
A new station was built in 1860 at North First and Bedford with ten iron
grated cells in an extension to the main structure.
The Sixth Precinct covered "Dutchtown," Picklesville" and "the Swamp."  The
station was at Ten Eyck Street between Manhattan and Graham Avenues, with a
force of thirty-six men.  A new house was later erected.  ARMBRUSTER says,
at Stagg Street and Bushwick Avenue.
The Sixth Sub-precinct was part of the Sixth and Seventh Precincts and had
its headquarters at Graham Avenue near Frost Street.
The Seventh Precinct was what is now known as Greenpoint, with a station
house at Franklin Street near Greenpoint Avenue.

Transcriber: Mimi Stevens
Return to ANNIVERSARY Main