enter name and hit return
19 March 1907
Anniversary-Astorians Celebrate Golden Wedding.
Mr. and Mrs. Charles W. HALLETT Have a Notable Reunion To-Day at Their Home,
at Which Members of Their Family and Well-Known Residents Will Extend Congratulations.
It is just fifty years ago this Tuesday that Mr. Charles Wesley HALLETT and
Miss Christina Crawford ELLISON were married in the Seventeenth Street
Methodist church, New York City, and the young husband took his bride to
Astoria, where together side by side, sharing life's burdens, comforting
each other in the sorrows that are inevitable to poor humanity, and joining
in that happiness which is sure to break, like silver lines in a clouded
sky, in all well ordered lives, their career has indeed been full of honor
and sweet content to themselves, and of supreme usefulness to the entire
community where today they celebrate their golden wedding.
There will be a family reunion at the residence of Mr. and Mrs. HALLETT at
No. 95 Remsen street, Astoria, between 4 and 8 o'clock this Tuesday at which
it is safe to predict that all the leading families and residents of Astoria
and vicinity, who have known and admired the happy couple for years, will
also be represented.
Six children have blessed the happy union which was consecrated half a
century ago. C. Wesley HALLETT, Jr., Mrs. John STEAD, nee Alletta M.
HALLETT; Fred T. HALLETT, Walter E. HALLETT, Miss Mary E. Evelyn HALLETT,
deceased, and Miss Christina HALLETT. Mrs. STEAD resides with her husband
at Princeton, N.J. and Mr. Walter E. HALLETT, who is also married, has a
delightful home at Tremont. All the other family members of the family live
Mr. HALLETT's career.
Mr. Charles W. HALLETT, Sr., is a descendant of one of the oldest families
in Astoria. He was born in New York City July 16th, 1831, but his parents
died when he was only eighteen months old and he was brought to Astoria by
his grandparents with whom he remained until their death. Mr. HALLETT has
been in business for many years at Fulton avenue, Astoria, and has
succeeded, by careful, economic, but at the same time energetic business
methods in a amassing a competency which he now is enjoying as he fully
deserves, in company with the estimable lady, who has been a true helpmate
to him through the long years of their wedded life.
Mr. HALLETT, has always enjoyed the confidence and esteem of his neighbors
and the people of the town with which he has been prominently identified.
He has been a trustee of the Long Island City Savings Bank for many years.
He served two terms as a member of the Common Council of old Long Island
City and has also been a member of the Board of Water Commissioners. He is
a member of Astoria Lodge No. 155, I.O.O.F., and of Advance Lodge, No. 635,
F.& A.M. He is a staunch Republican in politics and is prominently
identified with the Astoria Presbyterian church.
An Old Family.
Mr. HALLETT can trace his family history back to the early colonists to the
William HALLETT, and Englishman, who settled, as it was termed, Astoria.
This William HALLETT obtained from Governor STUYVESANT December 1st, 1652, a
grant of about 160 acres, extending from Sunswick Creek to Berrain Island.
The Indians having destroyed his house and plantation, he removed to
Flushing, but subsequently returned to his homestead, where he lived to the
age of ninety years. Mr. HALLETT was of the Quaker faith, toward which he
displayed a loyalty which left deep impress upon the primitive period in
which he lived. From its original owner that section of what is Greater New
York to-day known as HALLETT's cove for 200 years.
On hundred years after HALLETT had here established a home, a descendant,
Joseph HALLETT, together with Joseph BLACKWELL, constructed a grist mill
upon Sunswick Creek, which afterward was operated by BLACKWELL, then by
Hendrick SUYDAM in Revolutionary days.
In 1688 William HALLETT's estate was divided between his sons Samuel and
William, the former receiving the lands south, the latter those north of
Main street and Newtown avenues.
Transcriber: Mimi Stevens
RETURN to PEOPLE MAIN
RETURN to BROOKLYN MAIN