Built in 1895 by the Brill Car Company of Philadelphia, was run by the Brooklyn Heights Railroad Company, which operated a cable road from the head of Montague Street to the Wall Street Ferry. The car was named for Brooklyn's Columbia Theatre, located on Washington Street at Tillary Street; it was razed in 1929 to make way for the addition to the Brooklyn Central Post Office. The "Columbia" could be chartered for excursion parties, typified by the fashionably dressed group on board. This photo was taken in Ridgewood Park, Myrtle and Seneca Avenues, a popular picnic park of the era, later it was divided into building lots. The park was in Queens just beyond the Brooklyn line. Return to PHOTO Main Return to BROOKLYN Main