enter name and hit return
Find in Page
Bits and Pieces SHELDY1@aol.com OTHER CHURCHES The first Roman Catholic church (St. Monica) was a small edifice of wood, erected in 1839, in the pastorate of Rev. James O’Donnel at a cost of $1,000. The present building, of brick, costing $25,000,was planned by Rev. anthony Farley, the pastor, and erected on lots given by a lady in New York, in 1856. The Baptist church was organized November 11th 1868. A Church was built at a cost of $1,800. The pastors have been Revs. George H. Pendleton, Mr.Fuller, A. Stewart Walsh, Charles Colman, Charles Edwards, and Sammuel Taylor. The Baptist Shiloh negro church was organized December 22nd 1872, and the building, valued at $ 1,200,was dedicated in November 1877. There are 25 church members. The Sunday-school was started in 1873. The preachers have been Charles Colman, Joseph Francis and John Cary. The German Reformed church of St. Paul was erected in 1873, at a cost of $5,000. The society was taken under the care of the north classis of Long Island in 1876. The pastors have been P. Quirn, S.H. Gindt, Ernest Oxee, Julis Homes and Henry Frech. ********************************************************************* OTHER SOCIETIES FREE MASONS Morton Lodge (1802).------ R.w. Isaac Hagner,M.;W. William Mott, S.W. Henry Hagner, J.W.; Abram Bedell, treasurer; Silvanus Smith,secretary; Daniel Bedell, S.D.,; Wright Nichols, J.D.; William Anson, steward; William Crooker, tiler; R.w. David R. Floyd Jones, P.M. Number of Members 40. ********************************************************************* QUEENS COUNTY MEDICAL SOCIETY There have been three Medical societies. The first was formed October 1st 1806, with Daniel Minema president, Henry Mott Vice-president, Thomas Cock secretary, and James Searing treasurer. The second medical society was formed December 17th 1828, with Nathan Shelton president,Lucicus Kellog vice-president,James C.Townsend secretary,and Austin Chapman treasurer. About 1853 the present Society was formed. its numbers about 180 members. the officers are: James D. Trask, president W.P. Overton, vice-president; De. Finn,secretary and treasurer. ===================== THE SITE OF ASTORIA-INDIAN OWNERS Hallet’s a purchase at Hell Gate Neck included much of the territory later incorporated as the village of Astoria. The Original proprietor lived there to the age of about ninety, and was foremost in many early improvements. He divided his property at that point in 1688 between his sons William and Samuel, the former receiving the lands south of the road since forming Greenoak street, St. George’s place, Welling and Main streets and Newtown avenue, the latter the lands lying north of that road, It is probable that the Indians who sold Hell Gate Neck to William Hallett were of Carnarsie tribe, a clan of reputed power whose jurisdiction extended over the whole Kings county, the islands in Hell Gate, and, O’Callaghan says, some part of Newtown. A large tract of Land including the southwestern portions of the present city was deeded “to the inhabitants of Newtowne,alias Middleburgh,” by Pomwaukon and Roweroenesteo of the above tribe, July 9th 1666. ********************************************************************* PLANTATIONS AT GREEN HOOK In the direction of Newton’s Point, or the Green Hook,thirty years ago the property of Mr. Woolsey, were the small plantations owned by Jan Jacobson Carpenel (otherwise called Jan Van Harrlem) Adrian Derickse Coon, Hendrick Jensen Van Dueren, Lieven Jansen and Simon Joost. These five lots, contained in strips of about fifty acres each, abutted on the river or meadow, and extended back west-southwest some three hundred Dutch rods to the Great Swamp, also called Lubbert’s Swamp. The briefs for these lots all bore date in 1653 or 1654,and were afterward bought up by Major Thomas Lawrence, who also obtained from Governor Nicolls, August 23rd 1665, a patent for the small island adjoining,commonly called “Round Island,” now known as Berrien’s Island; which, together with “a neck of land” included in the patent to Adriaen D. Coon, was afterward possessed by Ezra N. Berrien. Thomas Lawrence was the youngest of three brothers. The others were John and William, who came to America from England in 1635, landing in Massachusetts,but soon removing to New York. Both were men of ability and enterprise. Thomas came at a later date and became, as has been seen, a somewhat extensive landowner in the northern part of the present city. He was very prominent in the military matters, locally, during the stormy times consequent upon the removal of Governor Andros. Berrien’s Island was purchased of Timothy Wood, in 1727, by Cornelius Berrien, and has since been known by his name. ============ Manufactures in Long Island City MARINE RAILWAYS. The MARINE RAILWAY OF LONG ISLAND CITY was built in 1855, by the Marine Railway Company of Hunter’s Point, of Which William Tyson was President. At the incorporation of Long Island City. In 1862 Mr. Tyson bought the entire Business, which in 1870 Henry L. Tyson became the active manager. William Tyson died May 22nd 1880, Since which time Henry L. Tyson has continued to conduct the business as the representative of the estate of the deceased proprietor. An important business has been done in docking ships for repairs,repainting and general renovation. THE VAN WINKLE MARINE RAILWAY At Astoria is also well known. Ship-building has been carried on there more or less extensively. The favorable location of Long Island City for such work enables many carpenters who would not otherwise be constantly employed to engage with profit in boat and ship building and repairing. GRAY’S REFRIGERATORS. A very prominent business and Manufacturing enterprise in Long Island City is the “EUREKA” refrigerator manufactory of Sylvester Gray, on East Fourth street. The “EUREKA” refrigerator has a galvanized wrought-iron bottom and is unquestionably the best made for all practical purposes. Mr. Gray, with many years’ experience in the manufacture of refrigerators, gained in the employ of H.L. Mace & Company, of New York,began business for himself in 1862, successfully putting in operation some original ideas and devices to the construction of refrigerators. That they were as practical as original is attested by the popularity of the “EUREKA.” Mr. Gray is strictly in the wholesale line, manufacturing for the trade,and is doing a large and rapidly growing business,the demand for his refrigerators increasing year by year. VAN IDERSTINE’S WORKS - MISCELLANEOUS P. Van IDERSTINE, renderer of tallow and dealer in hides,began business in 1835. The factory is supplied with seven Kettles,with a capacity of from 6,000 to 9,000 pounds each, and six presses that will hold 3,200 pounds of fat each. With these facilities 33,000 pounds of fat can be melted daily. The process employed by Mr. Van IDERSTINE is the most approved one in use,condensing all steam through a jet from the kettles. Eighteen Men are employed, and the establishment is under the management of J.M. Thompson, who has been in the business as long as any man in the Union now actively engaged in it. The tallow is sold to the trade,and for the past ten years the scraps from the establishment have been shipped to London. The distillery of Gaff, Fleishman & Co. was established in 1858,by other Parties. in 1866 Gaff, Fleishman & Co. purchased it and they have since owned it. ----------------- RETURN to QUEENS MAIN RETURN to BROOKLYN MAIN