BROOKLYN...5 Dutch Towns
Brooklyn, as we know today, was originally made up of six seperate towns, five of them Dutch and one English. The five Dutch towns were : Bushwick Flatlands Flatbush Brooklyn New Utrecht The English Town was : Gravesend BUSHWICK consisted of : Greenpoint, Bushwick & Williamsburgh. BROOKLYN consisted of : Wallabout, Cripplebush, Brooklyn Village or Breukelen, Bedford & Gowanus. FLATBUSH consisted of : Flatbush or Midwout, & New Lots. FLATLANDS consisted of : Flatlands or Nieuw Amersfoort. NEW UTRECHT consisted of : New Utrecht or Nieuw Utrecht, & Fort Hamilton GRAVESEND consisted of : Gravesend. United in one borough, known as Kings County, after King Charles II of England, these townships The old town of Bushwick, lies roughly between Division Ave. and Broadway and the Queens County line. It extends from the East River to about Highland Blvd. Included within this township are : Williamsburgh Greenpoint The Bushwick section itself and part of the old Eastern District of Broklyn. Brooklyn The Village of Brooklyn was incorporated in 1816. Williamsburgh On April 14, 1827, the Village of Williamsburgh was incorporated within the Town of Bushwick. By 1834 the Village & Town of Brooklyn were combined to form the 'City of Brooklyn'. 1835, the Town of Bushwick, including Williamsburgh had a population of 3,314. By 1840 Williamsburgh became a seperate town and with the continued expansion of people and business by 1851 Williamsburgh became a city. Flatbush By 1852 the eastern part of Flatbush became the Town of New Lots. 1854 saw Williamsburgh & Bushwick annexed to Brooklyn as The Eastern District. (E.D.) (In the old directories you will find the rest of Brooklyn referred to as the Western District.) Consolidation was brought about in 1854-55 and since that time Williamsburgh has been a part of Brooklyn. By 1886 through 1896 Brooklyn had annexed all the remaining towns.
Towns with Wards in 1898
With help from : Articles in the Brooklyn Daily Eagle Frank D. Schroth, Publisher 1946 Back to EASTERN DISTRICT Main Back to TOWN Main Page Back to STREETS Main Back to BROOKLYN Main