enter name and hit return
THE EASTERN DISTRICT of BROOKLYN
The plant of the Nassau Brewing Co. was located at #1042.
Was Debevoise Street, Bushwick, later Banzett Street, still later Debevoise Avenue.
Covering part of old Brooklyn and Newton Turnpike, named for Chas. DEBEVOISE, who lived
on Flushing Avenue.
The street was opened in 1852.
Lucas BREITENSTEIN'S Cafe, #5. He had for many years kept a similar place at the of Grand Street, N.Y.C.
He was a native of Switzerland, as the coat of arms of that country was painted on all
his windows in both places. Later the FOLLY Restaurant was at #5.
The Holy Comforter Church, #44.
Christian EPPLER, slipper maker, #45.
Isidor MACK, mason, #81.
Colonel Henry GLASSER, established his business as comission merchant, in 1861,
at the foot of Metropolitan Avenue. It was 20 years later located at #86 Debevoise.
Jacob KAST'S livery stables, #91.
Wm. Schultz, mason, #102.
Christian HORAKH, mason, #118.
The portion on the northside of Broadway was formerly called, Van Voorhies St.
James H. TRACY, livery stables, #170.
Chas. G. SODERHOLM, stair builder, #446.
Wm. KAHL, brewery, #1086.
Was opened in 1853 thru the farm of Henry BOERUM.
It replaced the old road known as DeKalb Street. The avenue opened from Bedford Road
to Nostrand Avenue in 1842, there were no cross street.DeKalb Avenue opened from Fulton
St to Nostrand in 1849, and to Broadway in 1851.
Chestnut Street, north of Broadway is now included in DeKalb Ave, also DeKalb Place, which
lay between Broadway & Bushwick Avenue.
The Brooklyn City & Newtown Rail Road Co., was charted in 1860 to run horse cars over a
portion the Myrtle Avenue Plank Road. & Stockholm Street to Bushwick Ave, thru DeKalb Avenue
to & thru Debevoise Place, Willoughby, Bridge, Water, Fulton & Front Streets to Fulton Ferry.
The cars were on the southeast corner of Sumner & DeKalb.
One horse transfer cars ran to Broadway and accommodated picnics to Myrtle Avenue.
Bordens Condensed Milk Co., #942.
A German church & school was on DeKalb & Walworth St.
The Puritan Congregational Church, 1870, DeKalb near the corner of Walworth Street.
A new church was erected on the corner of Marcy & Lafayette.
LOCKETT'S Grocery, DeKalb & Nostrand, Fletcher Pl.
Jr's Grocery, established in 1881, #705.
John THOMPSON, Real Estate & Insurance, 1880's #12, a branch on 149 Fourth St.
He came to Brooklyn in 1850.
Gustav F. RICHTER, surgical instruments, #855.
F. REINERT'S Express office, #1031.
Henry BATTERMAN'S stables, #1064.
G. A. FRIETSCHE'S, packing plant, #1100.
Col. Andrew HARRISON'S law office, early 1880's, #1107.
He was a colonel in the old 10th New York Regiment, serving in Florida, Texas, Mexican,
and the Rogue River Wars, at Nicaragua and all thru the Civil War.
HOWARD & MORSE, wire goods manufacturer #1197.
LEVI Bros. & Co. Stables, #1239.
W. H. MONTAGUE, stationer, #497.
David FULTON, stoves, #519.
The Hoeboes Lot was on DeKalb opposite Spencer St.
Martha SENECA, stationeer, #571.
Stephen STEWART, stationer, #575.
CORCORAN & SMITH, dealers in tea, #623.
George W. Van HOESEN'S, livery stables, #625.
James F. COONEY, stoves, #645.
Wm. WALL, piano maker, #656.
John J. DIEFENDORF, trussmaker, #657.
Robert ORMISTON, mason, #673.
Jacob MAY, maker of iron railings, #850.
WEISS Bros., metal goods, #855-7.
PRESTON & BUCKLEY, printers, #870 1/2.
New York Condensed Milk Co., #942.
W. A. POHLMAN, notions, #988.
Michael McSORLEY'S, livery stable, #1031.
Q. H. SEALY & Co., stoves, #1057.
John NIEDERAUER, umbrellas, #1092.
George GATZ, iron railings manufacturer #1135.
Wm. McGARRY, horse shoer, #1137.
A. C. BIELING, wagon maker, #1147.
Wm. H. STILLWAGON, carriage painter, #1209.
Benjamin FARRELL, horse shoer, #1241.
W. R. OSTRANDER & Co., speaking tube makers, #1461-3.
The DELMONICO stone house, a stately residence on 300 acre farm stood south of
the Newtown Road on Delmonico Place between Ellery Street & Park Avenue.
John DELMONICO, owner of the coffee house at the corner of Beaver & William Streets, N.Y.,
lived here. He was killed by accidental discharge of his gun on November 12, 1842, while
hunting deer at Islip, Long Island.
Peter DELMONICO, the founder of the DELMONICO Hotel in N. Y. C., died here in 1860.
The farm extened from Hart Street & Lewis Avenue to Bartlett Street.
In the early 1880's the stone house had become a tenement denuded of everything. The beautiful
grounds around it had disappeared and frame dwellings and stables occupied the site. The
old stone house was then locally known as the 'Haunted House'. It was finally taken down.
In the earlier times when Flushing Avenue did not exsist, the Newtown Turnpike ran along close
to the grounds which surrounded the house.
Named for the DEVOES of Bushwick Village, it opened in 1859 from Union Avenue
to Bushwick Avenue.
The bodies formerly interred in Methodist Cemetery, between Powers & Devoe Streets, taking
in part of the next block between Union & Lorimer were removed to Cypress Hills Cemetery
In 1851 it was proposed that the Williamsburgh authorities should take over the old Methodist
burying ground for the site of a park.
This was known as FREESTONE'S burying ground.
Thos. FREESTONE, the undertaker, was obviously connected with the church.
The entrance to the grounds was on Devoe Street near Union Avenue.
Next to it were WEBSTER'S Smithy on Union and across the street,
OAKLEY'S packing house, later OAKLEY'S was occupied by SAFFEN'S printing shop.
Putnam Hook & Ladder Co.#2, was in 1855, Devoe St., between Union & Lorimer.
The stables of Perley BARTLETT'S stages were on Humboldt.
MANGER'S blanket factory, near Union Avenue.
MAZICK, the milkman at at Devoe & Lorimer.
NEIDIG'S chair factory, at Leonards St was on fire in 1869.
The EELPOT was located, Graham & Devoe.
Edward HOLDEN, file & saw factory, Devoe.
Harvey BRUNDAGE, the builder, 1860's lived near Lorimer.
Leonard RUOFF, undertaker, was in the 1880's, #244.
Hartwell H. BELLOWS, since 1865, making zinc wash boards on Devoe & Leonard Streets.
In 1883 he moved to the TUTTLE building on Kent Avenue
John W. JONES, patent medicines, #104.
Opened from the East River to Broadway and Hooper Street in 1859.
A stone fence ran along Division Avenue forming the divided line between
Williamsburgh and Brooklyn. Behind the fence was the pasture lands, known as BOERUM field,
along the ball grounds to Flushing Avenue and as Wheat Hill to the Lee Avenue Church.
Peter MEYER'S, grocery, early 1880's, northwest corner of Bedford Avenue. He came
to the U.S. in 1853, and opened a grocery store about 1868.
The Amphion Musical Society held the same postion in the Eastern District which the
Philarmonic Society held in the Western District. The Society, organized in October 1880,
erected it's building at what is now #437-441 Bedford Avenue for an opera house,
opened the same year under the management of C. M. WICKE. Not being a financial
success, in January 1888 it was taken over by KNOWLES & MORRIS as a theatre.
Edward KNOWLES remaining the manager until 1897.
The Winsor Club, 1878, opp. the Amphion on Division & Lee.
The Seneca Club, #125.
Billy Mc GLORY, a notorious New York character, had an amusement place on the
corner of Division & Clymer Streets.
The clubhouse of the Bedford Wheelmen, organized in 1891, #153.
John BENNETT, undertaker, 1867, #153-55.
James Van SISE'S, milk store, early 1860's at #163, was receiving his milk
from the dairy farm with 50 cows on Long Island kept by his sons.
CARTON'S Union Hall, Division, Lee & Clymer Street. Variety performances were given
here about. 1880. Afterwards it was the headquarters for the Amphion Musical Society.
The WASHINGTON House, #183, corner Roebling was opened in 1875, by Herman HEDEMAN.
Afterwards the building was enlarged and the headquarters of the Washington Gun Club, a
meeting place for all Williamsburgh sports for a quarter of a century.
Chas. E. Van SISE kept the hotel in 1899. The Washington Club was organized on May 17, 1880.
Henry ALTENBRAND was the president and H. HEDEMAN, the treasurer.
A monthly shoot was held at Ridgewood Park.
Announcement was made May 11, 1899 of the purchase of the RAWSON property near
Division & Marcy for the projected headquarters of the Brooklyn Bureau of Charities.
Williamsburgh Branch Library, the cornerstone was laid, November 28, 1903, on the site
of Cedar Woods, Division & Marcy.
Wm. DICK, sugar refinery with a partner, 1858, at the corner of Pike & Cherry Streets, N.Y.C.
The business grew and more room was needed. In 1863 they erected a large brick building
at the foot of Division Avenue, Williamsburgh, abutting the river.
William resided at #77 Union Avenue, in 1865.
In the 1880's the name was DICK & MEYER.
Edgar CONKLIN, 1880's, brewer, Division & Kent.
The A. & G. POLHEMUS, livery stables were kept by Albert & Garrett A POLHEMUS,
who resided at #26 Morton Street. In the 1860's their stables were, #87, then called Broadway
and in the 1880's, #106 Division.
Julius C. UBERT, druggist, established 1883, at the corner of Lee Avenue.
The Acme Club, organized in February 1881, reorganied in 1883 under the name of the
Windsor Club. The club rooms were over UBERT'S Drug Store.
John BENNETT, livery stables, #153-55 Division.
Hugh CARRICK, painter, was in the 1860's, South 4th & Keap Sts, 1880's, #284 Division.
J. T. MATTHEWS, plumber, #288.
The Andrew BAIRD house, 1853, Division & Wythe Avenues.
The Amphion Hotel was in the 1890's, #125 and the following year October 27, 1891, the new
club house of the Loyala Union was opened at #125.
Fred C. WHERLY, teacher of Languages, #118.
Excelsior Hose Co. No.9, #255 near Marcy Avenue
JORDON & Son's stone yard, corner of Keap.
Henry OHLAND, provision dealer, #28.
DANNEMANN Bros., iron railing manufacturer #18
Named for Edmund DRIGGS, who came to Williamsburgh in 1848. He was the last
village president, elected in 1850, died in 1891.
Driggs Avenue includes 5th Street, Williamsburgh & 5th Street, Bushwick;
5th St. Williamsburgh was ordered in 1836, opened in 1850.
Astor Place was between South 4th & South 5th Streets. The street became Driggs in 1885.
5th St. Bushwick, later was called Van Cott Street, aka as Van Cott Avenue, the street was
graded and paved 1870. Finally Driggs and Van Cott were combined under the name Driggs Avenue.
Winthrop Park, 8 acres, Driggs & Nassau Avenue.
The name Winthrop might be attributed to the son of the Board of Park Commissioners,
Russell & Monitor Sts, was opened about 1894.
Along Van Cott Avenue was an old pump on Diamond St.
At #71 near Manhattan Avenue, were the iron works of H. STUETZER & Co.
#63, corner Lorimer St, COWLEY Bros., matting.
#51, Joseph TOTTEN.
Almond W. BARNES, at one time RUTHERFORD & BARNES, soap makers, #7-17,
between north 14th & Banker Streets, later known as #390 Driggs, with a branch on 39 Eagle St.
C. A. FRIBERG, ironworks, corner North 14th.
TAYLOR & Co., ironworks, #11 Driggs between North 13th & North 12th Sts.
These 4 plants are now the site of McCarren Park.
Daniel CULDANE, smelter, Driggs between Union Avenue & North 12 Street.
The Brooklyn Smelting & Refining Works, #18-24 Van Cott, between North 14th & Van Pelt Avenue
and at #21-25 Driggs, between North 12th & North 11th Sts and later #375. Driggs.
FUCHS & LANG, lithographers inks, corner Driggs & North 11th.
Samuel WHITMAN, iron works, #35 Driggs, between North 11th & North 10th.
Reliance Varish Co, #49 Driggs.
Brooklyn Vault Light Co., Henry HELD, proprietor, #481 Driggs.
HECLA iron works, #136.
John PIRKL, iron works, #149.
Perley BARTLETT'S, livery stable, 1860's, Driggs near Filmore Place, later
the stables of Peter B. MEALIO, a grandson of the former stagecoach operator,
#177 Driggs, between Metropolitan & North 1st.
George SHANLEY, soda water manufacturer #185.
O.U.A. Hall, 1855, Driggs & Grand Street
John H. TEVES, undertaker, #214.
Artemus D. WILSON, provisions, #221
Union Hotel, 1855, #96 5th Street, near South 3rd Street.
Zephyr Hose Co. No. 4, near the Union Hall, also 1855.
The Brooklyn Publishing House, #715 Driggs near South 1st.
In 1840 a tanning yard was on the west side of Driggs, between South 3rd & South 4th Streets.
The yard being abandoned was bought by
Thos. F. JACKSON
and a man named GAYLOR, these were builders and masons.
Alfred & Henry KEMP, were in the blue stone business, erected in 1852,
The Odeon, which opened August 25, 1852, next to it was an ice cream garden, in which
stood a number of silver poplars. Eventually, the KEMPT'S failed and the
property was sold in foreclosure.
In the early days The Odeon was operated by Alfred THEALL, the 1st floor used as
a concert hall and the second floor as a ballroom.
Samuel LEWIS, engaged in manufacturer hats, had the ground floor of #145 Grand,
the same building the Williamsburgh Times had it's publication office in.
In 1858 LEWIS took charge of the Odeon and ran it for 3 years, until the
war broke out. He joined the Excelsior Artillery of General SICKLES' brigade, which
was mustered in the Oedeon.
During the war the Odeon served as barracks & a drill room, the Home Guard was organized
here, from which the 14th Regiment was formed in 1862. The hall was then used by the
Washington Greys; the 47th Regiment. This regiment used the hall as an armory until the one
on Metropolitan & Bedford Avenue was erected.. When the war was over the building was used
for political meetings, rollar skating, dancing, for performances by traveling shows. The
upper floor reopened by Samuel LEWIS, as a ballroom under the same
name, The Odeon.
Richard M. HOOLEY, bought the Odeon in 1868, sold it again the following year,
Later the building became known as SEAVER'S Opera House, SEAVER in partnership with
WAINWRIGHT, but his entertainment was not a success. Again the builing was
sold under foreclosure in 1870 to
Thos. F. JACKSON, and
Henry WATERMAN. They did some changes and called it Apollo Hall, staying such
until 1878 when the struture was rebuilt.
The Rev. S. Miller HAGERMAN held services there before the hall was rebuilt.
The building now converted into a theatre was leased to Thos. THEALL, who formed a
partnership with Henry WILLIAMS under the name THEALL & WILLIAMS.
The place re-opened, September 16, 1878 as THEALL & WILLIAMS Novelty Theatre.
Where the former ice cream garden was, was now a vacant lot, which was used for the stage entrance.
The CONWAY sisters, their father & mother played, The Two Orphans at
the Novelty Theatre. In 1883 the name was then changed to PROCTOR'S Novelty Theatre,
at #258 Driggs Street, run by Thomas PROCTOR.
In 1896, The American Theatre, and towards the end, ADLER'S Novelty Theatre.
At various times others had run the place,
J. S. BERGER,
Phillip GROVER, who came after RAYNOR & EDDY. The building by then known as #732
Driggs was demolished in 1917.
Chris TEVES Cafe, Driggs & South 4th Street. John TEVES, brother of
Chris, had a coal yard on South 7th.
The Williamsburgh Bethel Independent Baptist Church, organized in 1839, had the name changed
on May 11, 1846, as the First Baptist Church of Williamsburgh. A frame struture had been built
on Driggs near South 5th, dedicated in 1849. Later the church was located on Lee Avenue & Keap St.
A. H. FABIAN'S Restaurant, Driggs between Broadway & South 8th.
Young America Hook & Ladder Co. No.3, also Driggs between Broadway & South 8th.
In 1860 a ropewalk extended from Driggs to Roebling and from South 8th to South 9th.
Dunham Place was named for David DUNHAM, a New York merchant, was opened in 1850.
August VINCENT'S Restaurant, #4.
In 1890, the New York Kerosene Gas Light Co., John ENRIGHT, metal worker
and James W. LYONS, screw maker, #14. A brick structure destroyed by fire on November 7, 1893.
The Metallic Art Work plant, #17.
Thos. COOK, livery stables, #25.