enter name and hit return
THE EASTERN DISTRICT of BROOKLYN
Was in 1840 open from Classon Avenue to the old Bedford Road.
The thoroughfare was opened in 1850.
Lafayette Avenue was opened from Fulton Avenue to Adelphi Street and in 1852 to Bedford
Avenue and in 1853 to Broadway.
James F. POWER'S, livery stables, #372.
Public School #45 or DeKalb School, west of Classon Avenue, was erected in 1882.
White H. NELSON and Son's livery stables were, #433.
F. H. CHICHESTER & O. C. JACKSON, livery stables, #470.
L. DUVINAGE, mechanical engineer, #547.
William M. GIBSON, mason, #939.
M. J. J. REYNOLDS' Sons, masons, 1880's, #1018.
Was Washington Street, later became Lafayette Street, and is now La Grange Place.
The Street opened in 1858 from Grand to Maujer.
POPPKE and Son, manufacturer of iron railings, #21 Lawton St.
Was named in honor of Richard Henry LEE and Francis LIGHTFOOT,
Signers of the Declaration of Independence.
Pierre DECEIVEE'S ropewalk was located in the 1840's from Lee Avenue to Havemeyer Street,
between Broadway and Division Avenue. It was in existence in 1861.
The 4th District Magistrate Court was in 1905 at #6.
Professor R. ORTLOFF'S European Music School, 1883, #10.
The Turkish baths, run by William SMYER also known as the Lee Avenue Baths, #20.
The Lee Avenue Baptist Church was located near Division Avenue. The Rev. J. Hyatt SMITH,
was the pastor. The edifice was sold and rebuilt into a theatre.
It was opened as the Lee Avenue Academy #7, on October 2, 1882, under the management of
J. S. BERGER and E. F. PRICE.
Later the place was known as Corse PAYTON'S theatre. PAYTON had a stock company and played
dramas. The leading lady was Etta REED, and Gerard was the leading man.
Hall was the villain.
Later it became a Jewish theatre and finally a moving picture house.
H. R. KIRSTAN, surgical instruments, was, #30.
Bernard PETERS' House was on Lee Avenue and Rodney Street.
The North Brooklyn Reformed Dutch Church, organized in 1854.
Jeremiah JOHNSON Jr., built his home on Hewes Street. This became later the homes of;
John H. SCHULTS
Minor KEITH, lumber dealer.
The building has been demolished.
William FLEISCHBAUER, provision dealer, was, #176.
John C. McELROY, a manufacturer of furniture in New York City, moved his plant
in 1882 to #254 and adjoining buildings.
The Black Maria used to stop at the pump on Lee Avenue and Taylor Street, where the driver
used to give his passengers a drink on their way to Crow Hill.
The musician, John SCHNEIDER lived in the 1880's at #4.
F. E. HUTCHINGS' Turkish Baths were, #20.
Patrick S. FOX, optician, #243.
John A. RINGHOLM, stair builder, #254.
Opened 1852 from Broadway to Bushwick Creek and was in 1865 opened to Greenpoint Avenue.
HOFFMAN'S Distillery was in 1888 on Leonard and Moore Streets.
The real estate office of D. AAPAT, #81.
The Hebrew Publishing Company, #128.
Military Hall, #140 was run by J. BAUMGARTNER. The restaurant of this place was celebrated
for its pig roast, the host was known as Baummie to his patrons.
The German Evangelical Mission was in 1870 at the corner of Stagg Street.
The Court House was at Ten Eyck Street. Judge WALTON was in charge, long before the court
was moved to Grand Street and Manhattan Avenue. The latter building has long since been taken down.
Bernard SPITZER, provision dealer, #196.
St. Mary's Academy Roman Catholic for the education of girls, at Maujer Street, was opened in 1856.
St. Mary's of the Immaculate Conception Roman Catholic Church was at the corner of Maujer Street.
DIEFENBACH'S provision market was near Maujer Street.
The Second Baptist Church was in 1855 located near Grand Street.
Hartwell H. BELLOWS manufactured washboards since about 1865 at the corner of Devoe Street.
In 1883, he moved his plant to the second floor of the Tuttle Building at Kent Avenue,
foot of Wilson Street.
F. WELLMAN, provision dealer, was located at #350.
EINSTEIN & WESTERMAN Co., silk manufacturers, were, #387.
The Brooklyn Cedar Ware Works, #391.
The Stable Fixture Company, #500.
The Baptist Church, Greenpoint, was in 1855 at Fourth (now Leonard) and Calyer.
M. RICHHEIMER'S Sons, provision dealers, #657.
St. Cecelia Roman Catholic Church, was organized 1870 as an out mission of, St. Mary's Church on
Leonard Street, Greenpoint. It was a small building standing on top of a little hill.
Fredredick EISEMAN'S Oyster house, #115 Leonard.
Eagle Engine Company No. 6, Leonard Street near Johnson Avenue.
H. DERINGER, lumber dealer, was, #134.
Chester D. BURROWS Jr., provision dealer, was, #192.
Louis PFISTER, truss maker, #97.
William RICHE, sewing machines, #101.
A. P. SLINGERLAND, banjo teacher, #273.
Joseph PATRIDGE and Sons, iron bedstead factory, #478, had a fire May 26, 1899,
a loss of $36,000.
R. P. BARTON & Co., patent medicines, #689.
Named for Francis LEWIS, signer of the Declaration of Independence.
The LEWIS Wire Works, #5.
The Vincentian opened about 1868.
St. John's College R. C. Church at Lewis & Willoughby Avenue.
The Lewis Avenue Congregational Church was organized in 1877. The ground was broken at
Lewis & Madison on April 12, 1895, and dedicated, May, 20, 1894.
The Levi P. MORTON Club, #272.
TREPEL forist, #338.
Public School #35 also known as Decatur School, was erected 1873 on Lewis Avenue, an addition
on Decatur opened January 17, 1891.
The EMBURY Memorial Methodist Episcopal Church, organized in 1866. The ground broken on
the corner of Lewis & Decatur on May 29, 1893.
Samuel R. HOOKER, iron worker, #10.
Formerly Hickory Street.
Was opened in 1841 from Bedford Avenue to Classon Avenue.
Thomas BISHOP, mason #148.
M. TRACY, slate mantels, #181.
Charles L. ALLEN, storage, #368.
P.H. MOORE, wagon maker, #396.
Martin WALSH, mason, #455.
John LAMBERT, mason, #477.
Sterling Delivery Co., E. H. LUBBERS, proprietor, #661.
Thomas LANIGAN, stone dealer, #665.
Wilson BOHANNAN, lock manufacturer, #756.
Walter I. BROWNE, surveyer, #850.
A row of 2-story frame houses on Linden Street, near Evergreen Avenue was destroyed by on
February 22, 1893.
Samuel TEATHER'S knitting works, #105.
H. KUHLMANN, horse shoer, #161.
Frank MISS, tobacconist, #10.
Lorimer Street was named for John LORIMER GRAHAM and James LORIMER GRAHAM, two land jobbers of 1836,
At that time the present Lorimer Street was only in part known by this name. The portion in
the territory of the old city of Brooklyn was known as Gwinnett Street.
Lorimer Street was the name of the street through Williamsburgh & Second Street, in the territory
known as Bushwick, thru Greenpoint.
Lorimer was opened in 1852 from Broadway to Grand.
Gwinnett Street was named for Button GWINNET, a signer of the Declaration of Independence.
COOPER & McKEE, manufacturer of refridgerators, #113 to 121 Gwinnett Street.
WAGNER Manufacturing Co. notions, #172.
Samuel LEWIS', wood mat factory, at old #14 Lorimer Street, at the corner of McKibben Street
was a 3-story frame building, having windows all around. Fire broke out on March 12, 1888, the
day of the blizzard. All the fire apparatus, which could get to the place, consisted of a sleigh
with a few lengths of hose. Luckily, the fire wasn't serious. The building was torn down in 1919.
McGILL'S ice box factory adjoining Martin RICHMAN'S wood working plant, #256, or old #16.
The livery stables of J. VOLLKOMMER & Co., at Johnson, were damaged by fire in 1904.
The People's Theatre was on the corner of Montrose Avenue.
Joseph FALLERT'S Brewey, #346, or old #86.
The Eagle Engine Co. #6 was in 1855 located near Meserole Street.
The first German Methodist Episcopal Free Church was at Stagg Street, here also was the meeting
place of the Third Colored Baptist Church.
The contents of the Methodist Burying Ground on Lorimer bounded by Union Avenue, Devoe, & Powers Street,
were, about 1856, removed to Cypress Hills Cemetery. This buring ground was owned by the
Attorney Street Mehodist Church in N.Y. & the First Methodist Protestant Church of Williamsburgh.
These two organizations had by that time opened the Union Cemetery on Irving Avenue.
SMULLEN'S Corner was at Withers Street, it was the headquarters of the Green Rangers.
M. COLLIN was the captain in 1873.
Chauncey DAUBER in 1874 and
John JOYCE in 1875.
A number of old wooden pumps were along the street, on the green, at Frost Street, Withers Street,
Skillman Avenue, & Metropolitan Avenue.
John the Clam Soup man lived in DAILEY'S basement at Frost Street. He made a living
by selling clam soup, and went around with a yoke on his shoulders from which he hung two large
pots containing his stock.
The Royal Lace Paper Works, were located at #850.
The Jacob MESEROLE farmhose had been standing on the southeast corner of Norman Avenue.
Pieter MESEROLE built in 1790, a new house on a fourty acre farm near the Jacob MESEROLE
house at #590 Lorimer Street, later known as #1000, between Norman & Meserole Avenue.
Adrian the son of Peter, was born in this house and died here in 1913 in his 91st year.
The house had been surrounded by trees, Bushwick Creek used to flow close by. It was raised and
Adrian MESEROLE at one time conducted a grocery on Manhattan & Meserole, later he
was a ship chandler and in 1868 retired from active business.
Adrian MESEROLE was born in 1822 on the old farm at what later was known as #590 and still
later at #1000.
His grandfather Jacob MESEROLE was born in the house which stood about 600 feet distant
on the southeast corner of Norman Avenue and located at the junction of Broadway, Stuyvesant
and Vernon Avenues.
The Young Women's Hebrew Association, purchased the property and the house was taken down in 1919.
An old house on the east side of Lorimer Street, said to have been erected 1789, was demolished
in 1910 to make room for the Greenpoint Masonic Temple.
A hall was at Lorimer Street & Meserole.
COLEMAN'S Spike Shop, was on Lorimer Street, the wheels were turned by dogs.
HAWLEY'S Merry-go-round, was on Lorimer Street lots.
The Greenpoint & Lorimer Street Rail Road Co., had offices in 1888 at Nostrand & Park Avenue.
STACKMAN & LOCKWOOD'S, grocery was located at Lorimer & Ainsle Street.
LIEDERKRANZ Hall was #152.
BARGEET'S drug store established in 1849, was at the corner of Scholes.
Dr. BINGEL'S office was #174 Ewen Street, between Scholes & Stagg.
DAHBENDER'S brewery was in this building and the doctor's office was above the cafe.
Dr. BINGEL was a graduate of a German University, during the Civil War
he followed his profession at the front and one day he was taken prisioner. After the war he again
took up practice at the old address; but moved later to his own property at #96 Ten Eyck Street,
where he practiced until 1888.
Chris J. STOCK, packer, #173.
The United States Engine Co. #4 was in the 1850's at Ten Eyck Street.
Germania Hall, near Ten Eyck kept by Billy GROZ was the meeting place of physicians,
Frederick BOSCH, druggist, established in 1868, at #'s 196-98 in the 1880s.
An old church stood at Grand Street, the parsonage on Manhattan Avenue, was converted into a tenement.
Ewen Street Court was near Powers Street.
J.GABRIEL'S hardware was here in later times.
The Wigwam stood on Metropolitan, the site was subsequently occupied by Public School #132.
MURRAY'S Circus, pitched a tent here annually.
VALENTINE & Co., varnish manufacturer of ,#364.
KENNEDY'S ropeworks were in the meadows at the foot of old Ewen Street.
A very old wooden house stood at Driggs Avenue, Goff HUCK, occupied it in the 1870's,
pigs were running around there.
Wm. LEWIS, manufacturer of photograhic materials, established his business in New York, about
1840, moving to Williamsburgh about 20 years later. In 1889 he was at old #137 Manhattan Avenue and
#'s 35 & 38 Quay Street.
E. & H. T. ANTHONY in New York City were his selling agents.
The SHAW wood Working Co.#671.
At #725, between Norman & Meserole, stood a MESEROLE farmhouse, the Meserole Theatre
was built on this site.
J. C. BARRINGTON'S Express office #732.
The Garden Theatre, #742.
The Union Baptist Church stood in 1870 at present #'s 750-752 Manhattan Avenue.
In 1905 the Y.M.C.A. of Greenpoint occupied this building, it was taken down in 1914 to make
room for the new Greenpoint Post Office.
Jacob STERN'S Sons dry good store, #765.
The Greenpoint Masonic Temple, #767.
The Brooklyn Camera Club, #776.
STEARN'S Hall, #783, later occupied by Peter BURDEN'S Dry Goods Store.
The Greenpoint Savings Bank, Manhattan & Noble, occupies the site of CONSTABLE'S Bakery.
The bank was founded in 1868, and opened the following year.
The real estate office of CORWITH Bros., #851.
The Progress Club, #861.
St. Anthony's R. C. Church, opposite Milton Street and extending back to Leonard Street, was
dedicated on June 10, 1874, and has been for many years in charge of the Rev. O'HARE.
The first site of the church on the south side of India Street at #150, was purchased on
January 31, 1856; a small brick building was erected in 1857 which was used until June 1874,
when the church of St. Anthony of Padua in Manhattan was erected.
The first priest was Rev. John BRADY.
The old building thereafter used as a factory.
The cirus used to pitch it's tents on the space of Manhattan Avenue between St. Anthony's Church
and where the club located in later times also on the site where SPARROWS' flats were after awhile.
The 17th Ward Bank, #883.
The Bankers Loan & Mortage Corp. #887.
Louis REYNOLD'S Cafe, at Greenpoint Avenue.
D.STERN & Co., mens furnishing goods, #893.
SMITH & GRAY erected their Greenpoint building in 1878 at the corner Greenpoint Avenue.
G.WEHMANN'S Restaurant #916.
James McELROY'S Coal Office, was near Kent Street & opposite was Alexander McCOLLMAN'S office.
BRIGHTSON'S fish store was at Java St.
The Greenpoint Mission Methodist Episcopal Church, later known as Greenpoint Methodist Episcopal Church
was near Java Street, organized in 1847, near Huron Street.
Union Hall was on on the avenue at India Street, opposite the church.
A school and Standard Athletic Club were located in the building in 1880.
STEVENSON'S Furniture store was on the corner of Huron.
WALSH'S, drug store, at Green Street.
HEINEMAN'S grocery was also here.
BURNS' Cafe, below Green Street.
ANDERSON'S Tea Store, corner of Eagle Street.
P. CRADDOCK'S feed store, corner of Dupont Street.
The Commerical Travels Hotel occupied the frame building, #1109, corner of Clay Street, later
known as EDWARDS Hotel and has been greatly enlarged.
TIENKEN'S grocery was at the corner of Clay.
WITTACKER'S Cafe, corner of Commerical Street.
Old KASPER'S Cafe, at the corner of Ash.
The club house of Amity Wheelmen was in the early 1890's, at #old 262 and the club house of the
Centaur Wheelman, organized in 1889 at #302.
John WINTER'S drug store, northwest corner of Manhattan & Noble.
The First Methodist Episcopal Church, is the oldest church in Greenpoint. The ediface was
dedicated on February 25, 1847.
The Astral Apartments were built in 1889.
A toll gate was on Union Avenue near Manhattan Avenue. In July 1894 the Board of Supervisors
was notified by the U. S. Government, that a new bridge must be built over Newton Creek
connecting Lorimer Street.
About 1857, Adrian MESEROLE'S father died and the son farmed the land for a number of years.
In 1847 Meserole Avenue was cut through the farm and the orchard district.
Jacob MESEROLE, the grandfather of Adrian, was the last of the early set of owners of Greenpoint.
STUMPF, the barber, between Stagg & Ten Eyck, extracted teeth, at a charge of
25 cents and treated people for other ailments.
BROWN'S cow barns located on the same block.
Samuel LEWIS, 1870, his business of manufacturer of Wooden mats. His factory was #14-18,
corner of McKibben. LEWIS was one of the leaders of the G.A.R. The 16th Ward members
of the Mansfield Post 35, G.A.R., used to meet at the corner of Lorimer & McKibben on Sunday
morning before Decoration Day. They would march from there to the Cemetery of the Evergreens
and decorate the graves of the soldiers & meet there again on Decoration Day.
Adam HULL'S orchard, Lorimer, Leonard, Maujer, & Grand. In this particular list of
establishments, the house #'s are given as they were in use in 1890.
At that time the present Lorimer Street was only in part known by this name, the portion
in the territory of the old city of Brooklyn, was known as Gwinnett Street. Lorimer Street
was the name of the street through Williamsburgh and Second Street, in the territory known
as Bushwick, thru Greenpoint.
The numbering along Gwinnett started on Wallabout and end at Calyer Street.
August KUHNLA, galvanizer, #'s 10 to 20 Gwinnett Street.
BASLER & KESSLER, surgical instruments, #95.
Frederick BEEKMAN, turner, #95.
Daniel SCHUCHHARDT, carriage painter, #152.
Jacob GEITZ'S wheelwright shop, #171.
George MARY, newl maker, & Lewis B.SCHAEFER, mouldings, #176
WAGNER Manufacturing Co., makers of tortoise shell goods, #176
William GULDENFEL'S, turner, #176.
Herman WEINBERG, smoking pipes, #176.
Turn Hall, #177 Gwinnett Street.
Crossing Broadway we come to old Lorimer Street.
Abraham LEVINE, machinery, #8.
P. & J. BRUST, nickel-platers, #14 Lorimer Street.
Henry THORMAHLEN, turner, #14 Lorimer Street.
Samuel LEWIS' wooden mat factory, #14 Lorimer Street.
John LEARY, metal worker, #323.
Andrew WATSON, at #345.
The Norwich Insulated Wire Co., at the corner of Bayard Street.
Peter KOHLMANN, spike manufacturer, #492.
William H. LEWIS, maker of photographic material, mentioned elsewhere,
was located at #532 Lorimer Street. & #147 (old) Manhattan Avenue
Martin SCHAERE, toy manufacturer of #642.
Also known as Reid Road. It ran from the Cripplebush settlement, located about Marcy Avenue
and Ellery Street,cutting across Putnam & Reid. The road followed the line of Reid to Bainbridge
Street, where it met the Jamica Turnpike road, at the 4 Mile House.