enter name and hit return
THE EASTERN DISTRICT of BROOKLYN
Mike DEMPSEY'S, tavern, corner of Lorimer.
George B. MARX, wagon manufacturer, #198.
George GANS, wood working, #220.
M. A. WOOD, white enamel letters, near Meserole Avenue.
Public baths at the foot of this street, sank suddenly on July 12, 1892.
From the dock here, all Sunday school excursions left bound for the picnic grounds on The
Hudson River and Long Island.
Dennis GILDER'S Cafe, corner Franklin Street.
Greenpoint Baptist Church, 1870, near Union Avenue, now Manhattan Avenue,
American Manufacturing Co., 1905, on West Street.
Fire in the Jute Mills of the Company, April 21, 1900, caused a loss of $50,000.
The mills were again damaged by fire on, May 15, 1906.
On September 20, 1910, a boiler exploded, seven lives were lost.
George STONE, lumber yard, at Franklin Street in the early 1860s. He was residing at Java
near Franklin Streets. His lumber yard was then in N.Y.C., on Avenue A corner of East 22nd Street.
First Presbyterian Church of Greenpoint, was organized at Masonic Hall, April 22, 1869,
with 14 members. Four lots at Noble & Lorimer Streets were purchased.
A one-story structure, dedicated, July 18, 1869. Rev. William Howell TAYLOR was the first pastor.
Zacheus BERGEN, lumber dealer, at the foot of the street.
SMITH & ROURKE, Iron Works, #67.
Iron works, at #129, was damaged by fire on December 18, 1909.
Formerly Prospect Street.
REES & LANG, stone yard, #107 Noll Street.
Named for Dirck NOORMAN who settled on Bushwick Creek in 1645.
First known as Third Street, Bushwick, later as Union Street and now Norman Avenue.
Volckert DIRCKSEN, the oldest son of Dirck VOLCKERTSEN, built his house near
Bushwick Creek, alias NOORMAN'S Kil, on Norman Avenue between Manhattan Avenue & Lorimer Street.
Later, it was known as the Jacob MESEROLE House.
Edward L. ANDERSON, real estate, #142.
An old pump stood in front of the CARNAY House, near Diamond Street.
The Colonial Works, paint works, #233.
William H. POST, Sash & Blind factory, destroyed by fire, May 2, 1902.
BECKER Tank Manufacturing Co., #255.
St. Cecilia Roman Catholic Church, organized 1872, near Herbert Street, built in 1873.
Originally was Browne Street.
It opened in 1853 from Roebling Street to Union Avenue.
North First Street was regulated to Bedford Avenue in 1832.
In the late 1850s, John HENKELL & BETTINGER camr from Baltimore, Maryland to Williamsburgh.
They started a cigar box factory on North 1st Street, between Kent & Wythe Avenues. When the Civil
War broke out John HENKELL formed a company of soldiers, sold his business to his nephew
Jacob moved the factory to Fourth Street (now part of Bedford Avenue) and in 1867 to Monroe Street,
between Corlears & Jackson Streets, N.Y.C. It continued until 1923, when it was sold to another
firm in the same line of business.
Primary School No. 3, between Berry Street. & Bedford Avenue.
At Rodney Street stood Liberty Hall, which was the meeting place of several Odd Fellows Lodges:
Washington Degree No. 14,
William Tell No. 347
Mount Pisgah No. 26.
Kings County No. 45, had its meeting room at the corner of Driggs Avenue.
The stables of Paul WEIDMAN'S Brewery, #102.
HARDY & VOORHEES' lumber yard, about 1872, was destroyed by fire.
Among the early ships built were the Mediator & Gladiator. These were built at the foot of
North 1st & North 2nd Streets, by WISHVELT & MACKEY.
CAPES built the next ship, in his yard near the bridge, where the bone boiling place later was located.
Barney SHORTY'S Cafe, was at Wythe Avenue.
Odd Fellows Hall, in 1843 was at South 3rd Street & Driggs Avenue. It became a district school in 1850.
In 1851 Odd Fellows Hall was located at the corner of North 1st & Berry Streets.
Calvary Free Church Episcopal, held services here until their church on North 5th Street, near
Driggs Avenue was completed.
Pearl button factory a 4-story brick building, North 1st & Berry Streets.
Friendship Engine Co. No.3, was organized in 1844 at North 1st Street, near Bedford Avenue.
MALONEY'S Cafe, North 1st Street & Bedford Avenue.
ROBERTSON'S Foundry, an eight-story brick building, on North 1st Street. Fire
destroyed the plant, doing great damage to the entire block.
The school established by Graham POLLEY on North 1st Street, was a brick building about 50', back from
the roadway. It later became an annex to Public School #38 on Bedford Avenue & North 7th Street.
Adam HILL, lime kiln, North 1st Street, near Driggs Avenue.
Peter BLAKE, had an office across the street. He raised pigs, he also kept a saloon on
Metropolitan Avenue & Driggs.
First German Evangelical Lutheran St. Matthew Church, #197, established in the early 1870s,
Rev. G. SOMMER, was the pastor. Later they built a new church, North 5th & Driggs,
on the site of the old police station.
Jacob HARRIS, leather factory, at Keap Street.
PARKER'S Morgue, on North 1st Street.
The first school house in Williamsburgh, was a block bounded by Berry Street, Bedford Avenue,
Grand and North 1st Streets.
Built in 1820 on the site donated by David DUNHAM. An extension at the rear for
the storage of fuel. A large oblong stove, in which wood was used for fuel kept the place warm.
An Englishman, BEVERLEY, was the schoolmaster in 1830.
Some time prior to 1835 the school was transferred to Grand Street. The school house on the south
side of North 1st Street, was about 1850, west of Bedford Avenue, long known as Public School #48 and
as Primary No. 5, & for years an annex to Public School #17.
This building, had been used as a school as far back as 1835.
In 1840, Williamsburgh became a town by itself and the school became District School No. 1,
In 1843 a building was aquired, Odd Fellows Hall on South 3rd Street & Driggs Avenue.
Leonard DUNKLEY, was the principal since 1852.
The school became Public School #16 and was transferred to Wilson Street, in 1856.
Leonard DUNKLEY, retired December 1902, in his 77th year. Hhe died in 1906.
HARDY & VOORHEES, lumber yard, North 1st Street, had a branch at #239 Montrose Avenue, in the 1880s.
Garret HARDY, had his lumber yard in 1865 on the corner Water Street.
The brewery at #42 North 1st Street, was owned in 1865 by, D. W. & Barzaleel STREETER.
Later, STREETER & DENISON'S Brewery, was at Wythe & Metropolitan Avenues.
J. & W. MATHISON, dealers in painters' supplies, #107-09.
Jacob SCHULADEN, lived in the 1860s, at #2 South 1st Street.
In1880s making pianos, #133 North 1st Street.
Fire in the chair factory at #58, November 12, 1890, at a loss of $5,000.
An explosion in Paul WEIDMAN'S Brewery, on North 1st & Berry Streets, February 10, 1891,
caused the loss of a life. Another explosion on April 6, 1899, wrecked the cold storage plant.
Opened, pitched & regulated 1828-29.
MOLLER & SIERCK, sugar refinery, foot of North 3rd Street.
Up to 1825 no general survey of the village had been made.
John LUTHER & Lemuel RICHARDSON, having purchased sites for two ropewalks,
between North 3rd & North 4th Streets, procured a survey of the adjacent land into streets and lots
and made application to the Legislature for an Act which would confirm upon the place the usual village
powers. The Act was incorporated and passed, on April 14, 1827, defining the village boundaries.
An old pump stood at Wythe Avenue.
SMITH'S coal yard factory, at Berry Street.
Friendship Hose Company No.3, in 1855 between Berry Street & Bedford Avenue.
John W. SMITH, in 1859, became the foreman.
In 1861, Fire Warden of the Eastern District Fire Department.
1867 Assistant Chief Engineer.
1868 Chief Engineer of that department.
1869 the Paid Fire Department was inaugurated and he became Assistant Chief Engineer,
he held this office for many years.
HARDEN Brothers Trucking Co., #131.
BEASTON Furniture factory, North 3rd & Roebling Streets. was destroyed by fire.
What was known as the BEASTON Bunk factory, on the other side, on North 4th & Roebling Streets, was
destroyed by fire in 1868. The plant, was reestablished at North 3rd & River Streets, but was also
destroyed by fire two years later.
North 3rd Street Academy, under the guidance of G. R. MILLER, the principal.
Mechanics Debating Society or Mechanics Institute organized in the basement of this academy in 1838,
the second literary organization formed in Williamsburgh.
P. & J. WINTJEN, established a coal & wood business in 1865, at the corner of North 3rd & Berry Streets.
Frederick E. TEVES succeeded the firm in 1878, moved to #280-296 North 2nd Street, in 1882.
Two ropewalks, about 1827, between North 3rd & North 4th Streets, both starting on Wythe Avenue, and
running east. The southerly one, was LUTHER'S ropewalk, later operated by DOBBINS.
It ended a short distance east of Berry Street.
PITTMAN'S ropewalk, later operated by, SCHERMERHORN BANCKER & Co., reached across Bedford Avenue,
ending east of that thoroughfare.
James DOBBINS, Sr., lived in the 1850s at Meserole Street, corner Berry Street.
James DOBBINS, Jr., #244 First Street.
George PITTMAN on Flushing Avenue near Bushwick Avenue.
Northern Liberties Engine Co. No. 5, was first at Kent Avenue & Metropolitan Avenue.
Graham POLLEY supported this company and built new quarters for it on the westerly side of Kent Avenue
between North 3rd & North 4th Streets.
Thomas SHAW, horse shoer, #46.
HINDS, KETCHAM & Co., label manufacturer, #91.
Ernst HOEPPINER, mason, #104.
LAWRENCE Manufacturing Co., makers of mattings, #131.
Charles MAUSLING, sausage maker, #66.
Joseph SCHNEIDER & Co., manufacturer of tin ware, #109.
Opened in 1828.
Graham POLLEY'S Distillery, North 4th & North 5th Streets, Kent & Wythe Avenues.
POLLEY'S whistle was known as the Village fire alarm.
A boiler explosion in this plant on, February 2, 1856.
POLLEY'S house stood on Kent Avenue, where he died in 1860 at the age of 44 years.
Graham POLLEY house, a double house, the south east corner Kent Avenue. Later it was partly
burned and has been demolished.
Rock Springs Distillery, established in 1836, at #52-64 North 4th Street, appears to be the
descendant of POLLEY'S establishment.
Frank SEAMAN was the proprietor in 1889.
HECLA Iron Works, in 1855, at Driggs Avenue.
The quarters of the, Red Jacket Engine Company, were at Roebling Street.
Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church, organized in a house on Berry Street, between North 4th
& North 5th Streets, moved to North 4th Street, between Berry Street & Bedford Avenue, then to the
old Methodist Chapel on Metropolitan Avenue.
In 1845 a small frame church was erected on Metropolitan Avenue, between Union Avenue & Lorimer Street.
This building was moved to Devoe Street where a storm destroyed it before it had been placed on the
foundation. Rebuilt, it burned down in 1863.
In 1865 an edifice was built on South 3rd Street & Hooper Street. A new edifice was erected in 1882.
Joseph C. RIDER, produce, corner of Kent Avenue.
Fire on North 4th Street near Kent Avenue, on April 22, 1896, destroyed the coffee mills and three
dwellings and caused a loss of $50,000.
William H. McGUIRE, horse shoer, #166.
Henry MUENCH & Son, webbing makers, #176.
North 4th Street was graded and paved from the river to Metropolitan Avenue in 1836.
O'MALLEY'S Cooperage and the
Bedford Avenue Iron Foundry corner Driggs Avenue.
LAWRENCE & FOULKS', shipyard, 1860s at the foot of North 4th Street.
John EVANS, pearl buttons factory, 1880s, #176.
Lowell PALMER'S cooperage, Kent Avenue, damaged by fire, May 28, 1887 and again on June 1, 1891.
A freight station of the Pennsylvania Rail Road Co., in 1905 was here, another at Wallabout.
The Erie Rail Road, also a freight station, North 5th Street, #47,
N. Y. Central & Hudson River Rail Road, near Berry Street.
The North 5th Street Methodist Episcopal Church, organized April 1849, near Bedford Avenue
Southeast corner of Driggs Avenue, Public School #17, was organized on July 27, 1844
as District School No.2 of Williamsburgh.
A brick building built in 1843 and standing between Driggs & Roebling Street, across the street from
present Public School #17. The old structure had a large brown stone tablet over its main entrance
with the year 1843 and an open book which had the words Holy Bible inscribed across its pages.
This inscription had later disappeared.
The building used as an annex on North 1st Street, near Bedford Avenue, is the oldest school in the
district, old Primary School No. 3.
It was purchased in December 1854, from Graham POLLEY, but prior to that date, it had been used for
years as a school.
The new building on the corner of Driggs Avenue dedicated, December 4, 1850.
When the building built in 1843 was no longer used for school purposes, it became the village jail,
known as the Cells & the 5th District Police Station, here the police courts of fhe
Eastern District were held.
Principal for 35 years was, Henry Dudley WOODWORTH, a man of the highest reputation in
educational circles and beloved bv his students.
Pop WOODWORTH was born in Norwich. Conn., on March 2, 1807.
He became principal, October 1, 1847, until his death, September 30, 1882.
Jacob WOODWORTH , his son, succeeded as principal, he resigned after a few years.
Principals that followed were:
Charles. A. O'REILLY
Charles E. O'NEILL
Horace Mann SNYDER
Thomas P. SMITH
Later, the German Lutheran Church of St. Matthews, in 1864.
Evening School No. 5 was held in Public School #17.
Calvary Protestant Episcopal Free Church, was in 1855, Driggs Avenue.
Annunciation Roman Catholic Church, in 1870, at Havemeyer Street.
Knox Church, Reformed Presbyterian, also known as, First Reformed Presbyterian Church,
was organized, April 11, 1850, at the corner Rodney Street.
Fire destroyed the furniture factory at North 5th & Berry Streets, about 1880.
John BLOOMER'S handball court, was at North 5th & Berry Streets.
North 5th Street Methodist Episcopal Church was organized April 1849.
Calvary Free Church, Episcopal, built 1851, North 5th Street near Driggs Avenue.
When Williamsburgh became a city in 1852, a small police force took over the old constabulary.
The original District No. 2 School Building, #199-201 North 5th Street, east of Driggs Avenue
had been vacated by the school in 1850 and was now the jail and court house. The police formed
quarters. Pending completion of the Station, a small room adjoining the cells, was fitted as an
office and sitting room for the police.
Captain Cornelius WOGLOM was in command. This became the 5th Precinct.
It is said that the policemen here received 50 cents for every arrest, besides their wages.
About 1860 Captain WOGLOM'S force consisted of 4 sergeants, 31 patrolmen and 2 doormen.
About 1864 the 5th Precinct quarters were transferred to the new station house on the northeast
corner Bedford Avenue & North 1st Street. The old building was sold to the
German Lutheran St. Matthew Church, known as Pastor SOMMER'S Church, they held annual picnics
at Ridgewood Grove.
Marsh WHITE & Co., began in 1868 in New York, as the grain & milling line. In 1875 they moved
to the foot of North 5th Street, Williamsburgh.
John H. FORT & George T. BOWLER formerly clerks, were then the owners.
Then known as, Manhattan Mills & Elevator.
Calvary Protestant Episcopal Church, was organized on July 3, 1849.
It was consecrated on, April 16,1853, corner Marcy Avenue & South 9th Street.
It was built in 1860.
Rev. Cornelius L. TWING, was the Rector in 1885.
George COMPTER, provisions, #94.
HEINBOCKEL Bros., provisions, #68.
West Shore Rail Road, had its freight yard at kent Avenue.
Primary School No. 1, was organized on, April 12, 1849, between Kean & Wythe Avenues.
North 6th Street Presbyterian Church, meeting place was at North 6th, between Bedford & Driggs.
MacBETH Bros., wagon manufacturer , #70.
Morris NELSON Co., provisions dealer, #94.
HAMMOND, packing concern, #106.
CUDAHY Packing Co., #110.
St. Vincent de Paul Catholic Church, prior to 1870, was the new church between Bedford & Driggs Avenues.
St. Vincent de Paul Academy & Brothers School, from North 5th to No. 6th Streets.
Vincentian Catholic Club, headquarters, North 7th Street near Driggs Avenue.
Opened from the river to the junction with Metropolitan Avenue in 1834.
Mrs. McLAUGHLAN, had a candy store next to Thomas IRELAND'S, undertaking shop.
An old wooden pump with the usual long handle, was at Bedford Avenue, known as BISHOP'S pump.
The youngsters of the neighborhood, in the 1870s, used to ask the other boys
"What gives more milk than BRICKLEY'S milk wagon?"
The answer was: "BISHOP'S pump."
Thomas STACK, shipyard, 1850s & 1860s, was at the foot of North 4th, 5th & 6th Streets.
James D. LEARY, nephew of Thomas STACK, established a shipyard in 1866, at the foot of North 13th Street.
STACK retired & LEARY moved to the former STACK shipyard in 1871.
In 1876, he bought the lumber yard and mill of the, Williamshurgh Mill & Lumber Co.
Emil FISCHER, carriage painter, #60.
Ernest ERDMAN, wagon maker, #70.
Felix ELLAND, provisions, #113.
John HUBMAN, #147.
Jacob TIMMES' Iron works, #300.
Opened in September 1834.
DICK & MEYER, sugar refinery, on fire, September 7, 1889.
Lowell M. PALMER docks, 1905, at the foot of the street.
Philadelphia & Reading Rail Road Co., had a freight station here, also the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Co.
B. WEILL, sales & exchange stables, #247.
Louis WURMSER, sales & exchange stables, #225.
Asbury Methodist Episcopal colored church, organized in the 1850s, near Roebling Street.
Williamsburgh Gas Light Co., 1855, Roebing Street, had a gas house pond in the rear.
HUNT'S boatbouse, was at the foot of the street, here also was a swimming hole.
QUINN, ran a bath house, North 7th Street & Kent Avenue.
The old Democratic Wigwam, North 7th Street & Bedford Avenue.
Club house of the Seymour Club, occupied this site for years; it had been built through the aid of
Ed SCOTT, who later became Port Warden.
Frank NOLAN, during that period, was the Ward leader, had his undertaking establishment on the ground
floor and the club quarters were upstairs.
North 7th Street School or Public School #38,
North 7th Street near Bedford Avenue, purchased November 1863, from Sam J. HUNT.
The Lime Kilns, North 7th Street, near Roebling Street.
WINTJEN, DICK & SCHUMACHER, 1858, sugar refinery, corner of Pike & Cherry Street, N.Y.C. In 1863
they built a large brick building for their plant at the foot of Division Avenue, Williamsburgh.
The firm dissolved in 1873. The new firm of DICK & MEYER formed the same year and a sugar refinery
built at the foot of North 7th Street.
B. & H. WEILL, #251.
John PILKINTON, horse shoer, #265.
M. HUPPERT, wagon maker, #267.
BAKER & KAUFMAN, livery stables, #301.
Ridgewood Color Works, #304, fire Dec.17,1904, between Havemeyer Street & Metropolitan Avenue.
Fire, February 10, 1896 in the paint factory, #320 caused a loss of $50,000.
Willow Grove, was along the river front from North 8th to North 9th Streets. There was bathing,
dancing and swimming. The Willow Grove House, stood among the willow trees which lined the
river's bank from above Grand Street.
The sugar house on North 8th Street, near the river front was destroyed hy fire.
St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church, near the northeast corner of North 8th Street & Kent Avenue,
was dedicated ion 1840 by the, Rt. Rev. John DuBOIS, second Bishop of New York.
The frame edifice accommodated about 500 people. The church yard had been well filled before
the church was moved, the remains of the bodies were taken out about 1880.
An iron foundry occupied a three-story frame building on North 8th Street & Driggs Avenue.
Fire broke out, a three alarm fire.
At the same time another fire was reported which had started at the HILLS Tin Co., on Metropolitan
& Kent Avenuesnue; a four-story brick structure.
This was followed by the report of a fire on South 2nd Street, between Driggs Avenue & Roebling Street.
These 3 fires kept the fire laddies busy.
The fire boats;
David A. BOODY,
and a good many tug boats from PRATT'S oil yards helped to fight the fires. All the buildings burned
to the ground.
Henry TINKEN, produce, #67.
John STARKEY, mason, #140.
Henry SHULTHEIS, watchmaker, #177.
POST & McCORD, Iron Works, #189.
WILSON Bros., #33,
office at: #740 Atlantic Avenue,
South Brooklyn branch: Atlantic Basin,
East New York branch, #45 Sneidiker Avenue.
Ermine Club, was organized in 1886, at #148, between Berry Street & Bedford Avenue.
Second Congregational Methodist Church, was on Bedford Avenue.
VALLEAU-COSTIGAN Manufacturer of pipe & boiler covers, #184.
Salvation Army, #219.
Edward WILETUS, refridgerators, #314.
Opened in 1837, from the East River shore to Union Avenue.
Acme Bookbindery, North 9th & Wythe Avenue, near the new Fire House, #12 Wythe.
COO COO Row, North 9th near Bedford Avenue.
BERSTEIN'S slaughter house, between Bedford & Driggs.
A glass house at the corner Driggs Avenue.
CHASE'S, paint factory, a three-story brick building in the middle of the block, back to
North 10th Street.
Lehigh Valley Rail Road, had a freight station at Kent Avenue.
SCHMITZ & WESTERMANN, corner of Wythe Avenue.
William L. LANGRIDGE, mason, #147.
William D. CHASE, varnish, #167.
Conrad ZEIGER, whiting manufacturer, #208.
Philip HOGAN, horse shoer, #219.
James O'CONNOR, morocco manufacturer, #221.
IGOE Bros., nail & wire manufacturer, #226.
LONGMAN & MARTINEZ, paint manufacturer, corner of Roebling Street.
Patrick BODEN, varnish works, #243-5, destroyed by fire, September 21, 1905.
The PARKS' Mansion, North 10th Street & Kent Avenue. At one time it was occupied by
"Shanty Mag" & "Old Hatchet", they had garden swings in the front yard.
TUTTLE & BAILEY, North 10th Street, between Wythe Avenue & Berry Street.
NOLAN'S Four-Gun Battery, in NOLAN'S Undertaker shop on Bedford Avenue & North 10th Street,
was a famous fort. Old stove-pipes projected out of every window and piles of sand were
upstairs. Sand was put into the pipes and when dudes would pass with their best girls,
all dolled up, the general "Bill BRISCOE" would give the signal to fire & the men behind
the guns would tilt the pipes down & the sand would fall all over the dudes.
BRISCOE moved to Philadelphia
In 1859, Edwin L. DRAKE of Brooklyn, backed by promoters financially, sank the first oil well at
Titusville, Pa., and solved the petroleum question. But the crude petroleum was of little
industrial value, until the method of purification was found and developed.
Charles PRATT'S refinery was established, in 1867, on Bushwick Creek.
Standard Oil Company of New York, had a barreling station and domestic trade depot, in 1905, at
the foot of this street.
Electrose Manufacturer, #127.
KALLENBACH & STEPHENS, silk manufacturer, #127.
F. R. & F. J. VERNON, manufacturer, paper boxes, #129.
The stables of Scranton & LeHigh Coal Co., at Roebling Street.
On November 25, 1912, the plant of the Union Sulphur Co. and the Hay Market at North 10th
Street & Kent Avenue, were destroyed by fire. Thirty-four persons were injured.
HECLA Iron Works, in 1890, from North 10th to North 11th Streets & on Berry Street.
W. H. ROBINSON, Feathers, #137 to 141, was destroyed by fire on October 21, 1904.
Fire on, February 17, 1905, in the lithographic works, at North 10th & Bedford Avenue.
John SMITH, blacksmith shop, #260.
WINTJEN & DICK, sugar refinery, in 1870, at the foot of this street.
KNAUP Sheet Iron Works, #50.
ARKELL Safely Bag Co., #69.
FUCHS & LANG, Manufacturing Co. of lithographers' supplies, Driggs Avenue, formerly located in New York.
WEIDMAN'S Cooperage, #59-75 on North 11th Street & Wythe Avenue.
They had frequent fires and many lives were lost.
FRIEDMAN'S, bakery, near Bedford Avenue.
T. STORM, glass ware, corner Wythe Avenue.
Francis ROSS & Son's, pottery, #58.
PAULSON & EGER, iron works, #102.
New York Stamping Co., tin ware makers, Berry Street.
On December 22, 1911, fire destroyed the S. A. & M. VERNON Co., blank book
factory on North 11th & Berry Streets and the adjoining buildings of the Electrose Manufacturing Co.
North 10th & Berry Streets.
DAVIS Co., varnish makers, #185.
Henry C. N. VAUGHAN, Iron Works, near Driggs Avenue.
John G. PRICE & Co. Iron Works, #222.
AMBERINE Varnish Co., North 11th Street, destroyed by fire, July 17, 1896.
PRATT Oil Works, at the foot of this street.
Charles PRATT was born in Watertown, Mass., on October 2, 1830.
He died in his New York office, May 4, 1891.
PRATT'S Astral oil, became famous.
Fire in the yard on, April 28, 1907, caused damage of $100,000, February 12, 1908.
HILDRETH Varnish Co., #77.
An old farmhouse stood on North 12th Street & Bedford Avenue.
A chocolate candy factory, at North 12th Street & Bedford Avenue, destroyed by fire.
Color & Chemical Works, Driggs Avenue, also on North 7th & Havemeyer, and later one on
Berry Street, between North 11th & 12th Street.
C. C. REED Co. varnish makers, #77.
Kings County Iron Works, #86.
John BARRETT, oil manufacturer, corner of Driggs Avenue.
David J. TAFF, maker of spars, at Wythe Avenue.
Of the old homes of the early settlers;
John TITUS House stood on Bushwick Creek.
WOERTMAN homestead stood on the creek at Wythe Avenue.
A two-story yellow brick house used for a paint factory stood in the lots on North 13th Street
near the Creek, between Wythe Avenue & Berry Street, now the Gas Tanks.
Louis C. RAU, oil manufacturer of , corner of Berry Street.
F. W. FLETCHER & Bros, iron workers, near Driggs Avenue.
Pop CONKLIN hired out boats at the little bridge over Bushwick Creek on Kent Avenue.
Neziah BLISS built in 1838 a foot bridge across Bushwick Creek on Kent Avenue.
Bridges at Bedford & Driggs Avenues and in earlier days on Union Avenue.
CLANCY'S coal yard was originally located at the edge of Bushwick Creek. CLANCY made every effort
to have the creek dredged up to the point where his coal yard located but the government refused
to appropriate the necessary money. In order to prove his claim that the creek was navigable he
had a canal boat towed up the creek to his yard. There it remained and rotted and was used for
The locality, at North 14th Street & Berry Street, was long known as CLANCY'S Dock, long after
the canal boat and coal yard were no more and with the adjacent flat became famous as the scene
of ball games and bitter bare knuckle fights.
CLANCY'S Grove was a name applied to this place.
His Dock was a good place to get gold fish.
The vicinity of the old wooden bridge on Bedford Avenue, was the rendezvous of a notorious gang
then known as the Rainmakers.
They collected tribute from many unwary pedestrians going to or coming from Greenpoint.
The Circus used to come to North 14th Street & Bedford Avenue.
Bill CODY'S show was there about 1895.
At BARNES soap factory at Driggs Avenue the housewives used to exchange the saved up grease and
fat for a bar of soap.
Astoria silk works, were located on North 14th Street corner Driggs Avenue
Formerly, Nostrand's Lane.
It opened in 1840, from Myrtle Avenue to DeKalb Avenue and in 1859, opened from Wallabout Street
to the Flatbush line at Montgomery Street.
Brooklyn Varnish Manufacturing Co., #35.
Velvet Silver Soap Co., #35.
Arabol Manufacturing Co., makers of Arabol paste, #56.
R. DUNLAP Co., hat manufacturer, Park Avenue, in 1883.
Washington Boxing Club, Park Avenue.
Henry BOERUM farm, in the 1840's, was east of Nostrand Avenue, between Myrtle & DeKalb Avenues
and extended in a south easterly direction to about Throop Avenue & Lafayette Avenue.
A farm lane led from Nostrand Avenue to Boerum's Woods, which extended from about Tompkins and
Lafayette Avenues, some distance east & southward to Quincy Street.
BOERUM'S Orchard was along the line of Marcy Avenue, about Willoughby Avenue.
Henry BOERUM had purchased the farm in 1828, from the RAPPELYEA family.
Vernon Avenue was cut through this farm in 1879.
The barn stood about 200 ft back from the dwelling, facing north west. It was built about
1810 by Folkert RAPPELYEA, it was taken down about 1892.
Henry BOERUM erected the dwelling in 1868 for his daughter, Susan, who married Charles VANDERVEER.
The dwelling, at #153-155, on the northeast corner of Vernon Avenue, was taken down in recent years
to make space for apartments.
BOERUM'S Hill, was at Nostrand & Willoughby Avenues.
Henry BOERUM was most influential in building up Dutchtown, which later started on the old
Jacob BOERUM farm, which, Henry BOERUM had an interestablished in his liberality towards
purchasers of lots was appreciated and led to a rapid development within the limits of the
He died on May 8, 1868.
The house of George ANDERSON, the Democratic leader of the 21st Ward, a structure known as the
haunted house stood on Nostrand Avenue & Pulaski Street. A school house now occupies its site.
Old stables at this intersection were destroyed by fire. A loss of 10 horses.
SCHMITT'S drug store was at DeKalb Avenue.
SEEBECK'S Cafe, at DeKalb Avenue.
At Kosciusko Street, was an old cafe.
The Brooklyn College of Pharmacy, #265.
Joseph P. PUELS, real estate & insurance, corner Lexington Avenue New York.
Office at 181 Broadway.
The Nostrand Avenue Methodist Church, 1870, corner Quincy Street.
Liberty Hall, was on the southwest corner of Gates Avenue, upon the site now occupied by the
Long Island Storage & Warehouse.
The Capitoline Club, was organized on, February 4, 1862. The Grounds were established on
WEED & DECKER'S farm, and were bounded by Nostrand, Putnam & Marcy Avenues & Halsey Street.
It was opened in 1864 and were the headquarters of the Atlantic Base Ball Club.
The entrance was on Nostrand & Jefferson Avenues.
The batters stood on Marcy Avenue & batted toward Nostrand.
In the winter season the gounds were flooded & used for skating purposes.
The Graphic balloon was in 1873 to sail from these grounds to Europe. It was an advertisement
for the newspaper Graphic. The balloon was started several times for the flight but each
time it was a fluke.
Central Grammar School, opened, September 1878 and remained until 1886 in a rented house on
Court & Livingston Streets.
A building was erected on the east side of Nostrand Avenue on grounds from Halsey to Macon Streets..
It was completed in November 1886.
It was found that the building would be too small for the entire Central Grammar School, so, only
the girls were transferred to the new school,
The boys remaining in the Court Street building.
An addition was built which was opened on September 27, 1891.
A building for the boys school was erected 1891-92 on Marcy Avenue, between Madison Street & Putnam
Avenue, which was occupied on November 1, 1892. These two schools were named in 1891, the
Girls High School & the Boys High School.
In the old building on Court Street, the Manual Training School was organized in 1894, and the old
building of P. S. #3, at Bedford was used as an annex.
In December 1904, the building on Seventh Avenue, from Fourth to Fifth Streets, for the Manual Training
School was completed. It was not until 1885, with the erection of the Girls High School that advanced
course instruction for girls beyond grammar school grades was introduced.
A branch of the Diamond Dairy Co,, was at #487 Nostrand Avenue, and another #185 Ralph Avenue.
T. McGOVERN'S Restaurant, #542.
George HARTMANN, stoves & heaters, #514.
Henry G. FRITSCH, wagon manufacturer, #560.
Williamsburgh & Flatbush Rail Road Co., was organized in 1866 and chartered in 1873. The route was
from Broadway ferry via Driggs, Division, Lee & Nostrand Avenues & Empire Boulvard to Prospect Park.
The car barns were on Nostrand Avenue, #98-108 & south side of Park Avenue, from Nostrand Avenue
to Sandford Street. Fire destroyed these on May 4, 1912.
Their offices in 1888 were at Nostrand & Park Avenues.
Mrs. DOHERTY kept a small school on Nostrand Avenue near DeKalb Avenue.
HOOPER started in 1873 a hat factory on Park Avenue, then moved to Ellery Street, near Nostrand
Avenue. It was known in the 1880s, as HOOPER & PRYOR.
Robert DUNLAP Co. started a hat factory on Nostrand Avenue near Park Avenue.
Hosea O. PEARCE, born in Danbury, Conn. bought in the 1850s, a tract on Stockton Street, near
Nostrand, built a hat factory in 1858. He made additions to it in 1861. In the 1860s he lived in
Port Chester, New York. He retired in 1879, leaving the business to his sons and to his partner
On the plot at, #39-59, on Stockton Street, AMES & MOULTON erected a hat factory in 1859 at
Nostrand Avenue, between Park & Myrtle Avenue. It opened in January of 1860. It was wrecked by
a boiler explosion on February 3, 1860.
James H. PRENTICE, hat manufacturer, Raymond & Willoughby Streets, purchased the factory and it
became PRENTICE'S Nostrand Avenue factory. PRENTICE had a third factory in down town Brooklyn.
He met with financial difficulties in 1880.
Liberty Hall in 1877, was at the corner of Gates Avenue.
Charles C. BETTS, born in Massachusetts in 1808, built his house in 1808, on the north east corner
plot of Fulton Street. The house was standing in the 1890s. BETTS owned about sixty acres of land
along the north side the Jamaica Turnpike Road. He sold the land now forming the blocks bounded by
Marcy & Sumner Avenues, McDonough & Halsey Streets.
He died in 1882.
The collapse of a 65 foot chimney, at Nostrand & Hopkins Street, on March 21, 1895, wrecked the
building of the Brooklyn Varnish Works, #35 Nostrand Avenue.
William GEISSLER, tobacconist, #89.
Fire in the tenement houses, #110 to 12 Nostrand Avenue, November 17, 1891.
S. J. WILLETTS, toy dealer, #282.
L. CUNNINGHAM, stationer, #325.
Joseph BIOT, wagon maker, #560.
Next..."O" of the EASTERN DISTRICT Streets
Back to EASTERN DISTRICT Main
Back to TOWN Main Page
Back to STREETS Main
Back to BROOKLYN Main