enter name and hit return
THE EASTERN DISTRICT of BROOKLYN
Was first Bridge Street, later as Bridge Avenue, and now, Paidge.
CHENEY & HEWLETT, Paidge & Newton Creek, Setauket & Brant Street.
The Union Iron Works, Paidge & Newton Creek.
Laid out in 1850, by Watson BOWRON.
Opened in 1870, through the farm of Adrian Martense SUYDAM.
Euclid Club, #22.
John L. NOSTRAND, surveyor, #25.
John LAMB, mason, #82.
Opened in 1839, from Hudson to Clinton Avenue.
In 1840, from Franklin to Bedford.
In 1850, to Spencer.
The Marine Barracks Park, built about the outbreak of the Civil War.
The Long Island Warehouse, #881.
The line of the Brooklyn & Long Island Cable Co., was completed in, 1884.
McDERMOTT& HOWARD, morocco manufacturer, corner of Schenck Street.
Thos. McLAUGHLIN, horse shoer, #350.
Lawrence McNAMARA, wheelwright, corner of Classon.
HATTER'S Fur Cutting plant, Park Ave, was destroyed by fire on January 16, 1892.
Thos. W. HYNES, straw goods, #574 to 584.
Matthew J. McKENNA, horse shoer, #706.
Valentine BRUCHAEUSER, mason, #739.
Lewis SHANGALMAN'S, Knitting Works, #805.
Chas. DRAGER, mason, #819.
Frank & J. G. JENKINS, Jr., storage, #889.
Thos. A. DeMILL, New York Commission Merchant, of Water Street, N.Y. In the 1860's,
his home, was in the middle of a cornfield, at what is now the northeast corner of Patchen & Quincey.
SYMONDS' & POOR, Carbonator Co., Soda water Apparatus, #100.
Patchen Avenue Gang, corner of Jefferson, about 1878.
Gil YOSTwith their supposed wives.
The men passed as gentlemen of leisure during the day, living upon their resources. The women
dressed in the utmost of good taste and style. Until, one night the flour and feed store of
IBERT, in the Eastern District, was broken into and a safe containg
a large sum of money was stolen. There had been similar burglaries. It was found the four couples
above were to blame.
PORTER, was arrested in England, in 1888. The house has been moved to 153 Marion Street.
Where the Hunterfly Road, intersected the Jamacia Turnpike Road, SIMONSON'S, 4 Mile House stood,
today Patchen & McDonough Street. Near was the toll house, later a residential dwelling, and then
later, moved to Bainbridge west of Reid.
Peter KELLY'S stone yard, #250.
George McINTOSH, horse shoer, near Sumpter Street.
Named for John PENN, signer of the Declaration of Independence.
E. DURLACH, manufacturer of tin toys, established in 1872, was at #282-286.
Wm. H. McMILLIAN'S Son, pump & Block manufacturer, #40.
Brooklyn Washer Works, #40.
Wm. H. GUY, mason, #51 Penn & 205 Marcy Avenue.
Two alleys of the same name.
One between Gwinnett Street, now part of Lorimer and the Union Grounds.
Three homes were along this alley,
PATERNO aka PATTERSON,
DEVLIN aka DERLIN, &
The other alley was on Siegel Street, opposite LAWRENCE'S Ropewalk.
Located between South 1st & South 2nd Streets.
Gesundheits BRUNNEN'S farm, was behind Porter Avenue.
Named for William P. POWERS, a clerk of John LORIMER GRAHAM, who was made the nominal proprietor of
939 lots, for the convenience of the sale, and other parcels of land.
Adolph SCHMIDT & Son Stables, #14.
The First Baptist Mission, was in 1870, on Powers Street, near Lorimer.
Thomas TERRY'S, Iron Foundry, in 1855 was on Powers, between Union Avenue & Lorimer.
COLBY Mission, #106, became the home of the Powers Street Episcopal Church.
Now occupied by the, 13th Assembly District Democratic Club.
Slim DONOVAN'S Cafe, was located, in a frame building at Powers & Graham,
now a four-story brick building, of the Metropolitan Tobacco Company.
Next door was, McCUSKER'S blacksmith shop, which is still run by the family.
St. Nicholas Roman Catholic Church, in 1870, at the corner of Olive Street.
Neptune Engine Co. #7, was near Metopolitan.
John H. SNYDER'S, livery stables, #14.
James SNYDER'S, livey stables, at #19.
The Robert SERENBETZ house, in 1860, at #64.
George B. SERENBETZ, occupoed the house in 1902.
Joseph T. LARGE & Sons, manufacturer of therometers, #118.
John SCHMIDT, straw hat presser, #143.
Thomas SHANLEY, horse shoer, #155
KELL'S planning mills, between India & Java, damaged by fire, July 10, 1906.
Fred HASLAM, & Co., surgical instruments, #83.
H. B. SCHARMANN & Sons Brewery, #355 to 371.
Opened in 1855 from Fulton to Broadway.
The remainer of what was the Bedford settlement, consists of a row of frame houses, one story
in height with a store below, on Putnam, at the junction with Fulton.
Charles E. EARL, undertaker, #3, in the early 1880's, his livery stables, #80 Irving Place.
#426 Gates Avenue, was his branch office.
The First National Stables, #100 Putnam, corner Ormond Place, established in 1868.
W. H. RUDD & Co. were the owners.
The Putnam Avenue Roman Catholic Church for Germans, in 1855, Putnam near Bedford.
In 1870, it was known as, St. Francis Church.
The Monestery of the Precious Blood, #212.
WILD'S Tavern, 1857, Putnam near Tompkins Avenue.
The Putnams ball team, played on the grounds on Putnam, near the junction with Broadway.
The Putnams, were gone when the National Association, took the place of the old National
Association of 1857.
The Arcadia Athletic Association, had it's club house and property, in the early 1890's,
near Reid Avenue
Our Lady of Good Council Roman Catholic Church, established in 1886. Putnam near Ralph Avenue,
was dedicated on October 4, 1891.
Fred MARQUART, storage, #957.
George I. CULLMER, sporting goods, #1078.
Putnam Broadway Stables, #1219.
Wm. H. URIS, mason, #839.
Abram RUTAN, mason, #957.
Next..."Q" of the EASTERN DISTRICT Streets
Back to EASTERN DISTRICT Main
Back to TOWN Main Page
Back to STREETS Main
Back to BROOKLYN Main