enter name and hit return
Find in Page
The Beginnings...


After the Revoluntionary War had come to an end the denizens of Bushwick held a peace celebration on the East River shore and then settled down to attend to their farmwork. The War of 1812 again brought excitement & the Town house being far too small for the meetings caused by this war, the courts & town meetings were transplanted to the old tavern at the Cross Roads. When this war was over once again the town folks settled back into their interests of farming. The younger generation, however, being more progressive had become restless. One by one, they went to settle down in the fast growing settlements down by the river shore known as Williamsburgh. In 1882 a church was erected, helped along by the old town church. The following year Bushwick people replaced their own church .To the west was the village green, to which a branch of the Bushwick creek ,extended. Around the green stood some old Dutch farmhouses : BEADEL House on Metropolitan Ave., CONSELYEA House & the Mill on the creek at Jackson St., Van RANST House also on the creek at Withers St. BLACKWELL House at Frost St. across the Woodpoint Rd. Oposite the church, stood the Town House & the Liberty Pole in it's front. Further north near the old town burying ground stood on either side of the road a DEVOE house & still further along near Meeker Ave.,the old Manor House & the DEBEVOISE farmhouse, the barn of which had been the quarters of Hessians in the Revolution. On the Woodpoint Rd. just north of the Church at Skillman Ave. stood the school house, erected in 1768, 20x50 ft in size, of stone, with a long sloping roof, like the farm houses. Here English and Dutch were used until the new school was erected in 1829. The sermons were preached in English and in the school the Dutch language was now eliminated. To the south was the Charles SCHENCK farmhouse at Montrose Ave. The Williamsburgh-Jamaica Tpke Rd was built in 1813-14. Stephen B. & Samuel MASTERS operated the turnpike for abt 20 yrs. The toll gate stood near the grist mill and the bridge which later occupied the site of the present Metropolitan Ave. Bridge. Here was a white sandy beach and there were 3 boat houses on the beach. When the Bklyn & Newton Tpke. Rd. was built the toll gate was moved to the point where the 2 roads crossed, Metropolitan & Flushing Ave. Martin J. SUYDAM began to run a stage from the ferries thru Grand St & Metropolitan Ave. to Newton. A few houses were erected along the Jamacia Rd. in the 1840's. In 1840, Maspeth Plank Rd. was opened and several houses were built in 1846. On the north side of the road was a patch of forest land known as BACKUS Woods.The road crossed FURMAN'S Island. Peter COOPER had operated a glue factory on Manhattan Island, which he had purchased for the sum of $2.000, under a 21 yr. lease. This plant was located on Middle Rd, beteewn 31st & 32nd Sts on Murray Hill. COOPER bought in 1840 10 acres of land at Bushwick & moved his factory there. He was born in 1891, died in 1883. His 2 brothers married the BEADEL sisters. Gypsies used to camp at the place where William COOPER built his residence & a smaller house next to his own for the use of a neice. In front of the houses ran COOPER'S Lane. An old wooden pump stood in front of the smaller house. In 1895, the family gave to the City of Bklyn., COOPER'S Pk. The park included COOPERS Lane and the 2 houses were moved to Morgan Ave. known as # 439 & 455. There was no house between them. They have recently been taken down & a brick building has been erected on their site.Opposite the park on Maspeth Ave. & Debevoise Ave. are still standing the remains of a group of frame houses surrounded by large trees. These houses were erected by Peter COOPER for his workmen. In the rear of the row was the glue factory near Kingsland Ave.,near there toward Grand St. was Garrett FURMAN'S trout pond. Martin KALBFLEISCH was born in Holland in 1804, he came to the USA in 1826. He estab'd, chemical works in Harlem, NY. in 1835. He moved his factory to Greenpoint in 1842. There being no schoolhouse in Greenpoint he applied for the use of Bushwick School which was then in a run down condition, had it repaired & secured the services of a teacher. His children attended the school. Five years later he moved his plant to Bushwick proper, he located between Metropolitan Ave. & Grand St, Morgan Ave. & Vandervoort Ave. Gradually the works were enlarged & covered the ground on both sides of Grand Street between Morgan & Newton. In 1867 the South Side Rail Road opened it's road from Bushwick to Patchogue. For it's depot the R.R. used the old Charles SCHENCK farmhouse. In the barn was found between the rafters an English bank note dating back to pre-revoluntionary war days. The old Manor house built by the POLHEMUS family & for a time the home of the WYCKOFF family, became a road house. When Bob CLARKSON was the inn keeper the CLARKSON Grounds were frequented by the baseball players. The Eckford Club used to play, until the Union Grounds were estab'd upon a strip of land on the BACKUS estate near the Manor house. The Grand Street car stables were opposite the Manor house & fire of 1876, 54 horses perished there. Maspeth Plank Road, there was a toll bridge,the road formerly the SMITH'S Island & fom there another bridge led to the Maspeth side. The bridges have decayed, the approaches remain. Back to EASTERN DISTRICT Main Back to TOWN Main Page Back to STREETS Main Back to BROOKLYN Main