enter name and hit return
Find in Page

18 January 1910
POUGHKEEPSIE, Jan. 18. -- Police Chief McCABE and Sheriff TOWNSEND to-day 
turned over to the District Attorney all the evidence against Frank SCHERMERHORN, 
the coachman on the COMPTON estate, together with SCHERMERHORN's confession 
that he alone murdred Miss Sarah BREYMER, the COMPTON nurse.  
    SCHERMERHORN is still held in the Vassar Hospital, but as soon as he is 
able to move he will be placed in jail to await indictment for murder by the 
Grand Jury.
    The web of evidence has been tightening against the accused coachman, who 
last night, at the instigation of his mother, confessed his crime.  The 
mother pleaded with him to tell the truth.  He sent for Sheriff TOWNSEND and Under 
Sheriff HORNBECK, and told them the details of the crime.  
    SCHERMERHORN declared he had been on a sleigh ride with two of the other 
women on the COMPTON estate, and had returned home drunk.  He declares he 
remembers little about the murder of Miss BREYMER, declaring he went to her room 
merely to frighten her.  In his confession, SCHERMERHORN exonerated the 
Japanese butler, whom he at first accused of the crime.
    The officers declare that even without the confession they obtained 
sufficient evidence to convict SCHERMERHORN.  With his confession they expect he 
will enter a plea of guilty and accept life imprisonment.
    SCHERMERHORN's wife is in the hospital in which he is a prisoner, and it 
will be a month or more before she will be told of his crime and confession.

    The cases of Miss Inez MILHOLLAND, daughter of John E. MILHOLLAND, and 
Lieut. Henry W. TOURNEY, of the Coast Artillery Corps, who were arrested last 
night as the result of a demonstration by striking shirtwaist workers which Miss 
HOLLAND (sic) was leading, were called in Jefferson Market Court, Manhattan, 
to-day, and after much testimony had been taken were continued until to-morrow 
    Miss MILHOLLAND, accompanied by the lieutenant and 500 strikers and their 
sympathizers, were marching in Waverly place in front of a factory when 
Police Captain HENRY demanded that they disperse.  They refused, declaring that 
Magistrate BARLOW had declared so long as they kept moving they could not be 
disturbed.  HENRY disputed this.  He told the court to-day that the strikers and 
their followers blocked the streets and obstructed traffic.  His uniform was 
badly torn in the melee which followed the refusal of Miss MILHOLLAND to order 
her followers to disperse and the [        ]  were badly ruffled because young 
women, in ignorance of the divinity that hedges the person of a New York 
police captain, demanded his number.
    It is rumored that as the result of his coming into conflict with the 
civil authorities and being locked up -- both he and Miss MILHOLLAND were placed 
in a cell until MILHOLLAND arrived to bail them out -- Lieut. TOURNEY may have 
to face a court-martial.  In all, fifteen strikers and sympathizers were 
arrested last night.  
    Should the police prove their charge of disorderly conduct and 
obstructing an officer in the discharge of his duty against Miss MILHOLLAND the case 
will be appealed to the highest courts in order to get a decision on this 
question as well as to have determined how far a person may go on "peacefully 
picketing" a plant where there is a strike.  Miss MILHOLLAND is a graduate of Vassar 
and an ardent advocate of women's suffrage.  In the {last sentence too dark to read)

31 January 1910
    William HOFFMAN, a gas fitter, earning $3 a day, who is  contemplating 
matrimony in the near future, received a fine wedding present  yesterday.  While 
he was reading the comic papers in his room at 57  Willoughby street a special delivery 
letter brought the information that an aunt who recently died in New Orleans left a 
fortune of $100,000, of which he will receive half.
    The welcome news HOFFMAN received is unwelcome in another respect.  It 
discloses the fact that Miss Minerva HOFFMAN, of 460 Blue avenue, Chicago, 
whom he had always supposed was his sister, is only a foster sister, and cannot 
legally share in the estate left by Mrs. B. Sarah BREDSTER, the dead aunt.  
HOFFMAN says he always regarded her as his sister, and that now in the hour of 
his prosperity he does not intend to change  his mind, but will see she 
shares equally in the estate with the other heir, William HOFFMAN, of Minneapolis. 

    The Grand Jury of New York County to-day returned  indictments against 
Bessie ROBERTS, of 204 West Ninety-eighth street, and May  WILLIAMS, of 219 West 
Thirty-seventh street, Manhattan, charging them with  robbery in the first 
degree, grand larceny in the first degree, assault in the  second degree and 
receiving stolen goods.
    The two women are charged with working the "hallway"  game on Robert 
Warner VAN NORDEN and robbing of $28,000, which he carried in a  wallet in his hip 
pocket.  The robbery is said to have occurred at Fifth  avenue and 
Thirty-third street, about midnight on Jan. 20. 
    May WILLIAMS was also indicted on the charge of robbery  on complaint of 
Josiah J. WHITE, of 136 Columbia Heights, Brooklyn, who charged  that on Feb. 
7, 1907, while returning from the Arlon ball, he was seized in a  hallway by 
the girl and robbed of two diamond studs.  
    The women were held in $25,000 bail each, and will be  given a hearing 
to-morrow in the Court of General Sessions.

10 May 1910
Detective CONNOLLY, of Inspector SWEENEY's staff, saw George CONARIZ, 18 
years old, of 1681 Broadway, acting suspiciously at Broadway and Decatur 
Street, early today and took him into custody.  A loaded revolver was found 
in his possession.  In the Manhattan Avenue court he was held in $500 bail 
for examination on a charge of carrying concealed weapons.

Two hours after Mrs. Adelaide YONKERS, who keeps a boarding house at 122 
Lawrence Street, called yesterday at the Adams Street station and told the 
desk lieutenant a man and woman she knew as "Heath" had abandoned a 
nine-week-old boy in a furnished room in her house.  Mr. and Mrs. HEATH 
returned to their room and when the police arrived the baby was laughing and 
babbling in his mother's arms.  The parents denied they had any intentions of 
abandoning their child, but left the house yesterday morning for the purpose 
of seeking employment, expecting to return in an hour. 

Joseph WINTERS, 45 years old, of 635 Marion Street, was held for examination 
by Magistrate HARRIS today in the Gates Avenue court on a charge of 
assaulting Fred KOERPTEN, 45, of 1200 Willoughby Avenue.  KOERPTEN was found 
unconscious at Howard Avenue and Monroe Street.  His face was badly bruised 
and his head cut.  There were also indications he skull had been fractured.  
KOERPTEN was removd to the Bushwick Hospital, where after he had recovered 
consciousness he said Winters had assaulted him.  WINTERS was later arrested 
and taken to the hospital where he was identified by KOERPTEN.

Lewis JUHL, 24 years old, who lives at Rockaway Beach, was found guilty of a 
breach of the peace by Magistrate GELSMAR in the Fifth Avenue court today and 
the case adjourned to June 14 for sentence.  The complainant was Miss Tune 
HALBERG, 22 years old, a pretty Danish girl, at whose home JUHL formerly 
The girl testified that at a club meeting on March 26 the man had made 
remarks reflecting on her character.

2 July 1910
Under the will, filed for probate yesterday, of the late Mrs. Elizabeth C. 
ROPES, widow of Ripley ROPES, who was long one of Brooklyn's foremost 
citizens, her large estate is divided among her sons and daughters. The old 
homestead at 40 Pierrepont street is given to Walter P. ROPES and Elizabeth 
ROPES, and it is provided so long as they shall occupy the house the sleeping 
room formerly used by their father shall be kept intact.

3 July 1910
Mrs. SCHLEIDER Now Asks for Letters of Administration on Estate
Insurance Co. Refuses to Pay Policy on Burned Building

   Mrs. Anna SCHLEIDER, of 64 Woodward avenue, Ridgewood, yesterday filed a 
petition in the Queens County Surrogate's office at Jamaica, asking that 
temporary letters of administration be given her on the estate of her 
husband, Jacob SCHLEIDER, who, she says, has been missing from home since 
June 3, 1906.
   In her petition, Mrs. SCHLEIDER says she has searched diligently for her 
husband in hospitals and other institutions, but has found not the slightest 
trace of him. She can assign no reason for his disappearance, but thinks he 
may have become insane and wandered away.
   She says she was married in 1890 and that she and her husband lived 
happily up until the time of his disappearance. He had sufficient income to 
live without working, but speculated occasionally in real estate and with 
profit. At one time he had a hotel at Ridgewood.
   Mrs. SCHLEIDER says that her husband was considered erratic. He was very 
irritable, she says and would chase the children in the neighborhood when 
they annoyed him. He slept a great deal.
   Mrs. SCHLEIDER says that a house, owned by her husband, burned down 
recently, and the insurance company that had issued a policy on it, refused 
to pay her, on the ground that she could show no authority to act as her 
husband's agent. This was one thing that caused her to apply for letters of 

10 July 1910
MINEOLA, July 9 - The right, title and interest to nearly four thousand acres 
of plain land, some of which adjoins the estate of Mrs. O.H. P. BELMONT, and 
woodland near Greenfield Cemetery, held by Maxwell F. BUTLER, Bessie Talcot 
BUTLER and Charles Stewart BUTLER, has been conveyed to the Hempstead Plains 
Company, according to a deed recorded in the County Clerk's office today, for 
$100 and other valuable considerations.
The lands conveyed are portions of the tract sold to A.T. STEWART by the town 
of Hempstead about forty years ago for $55 an acre and have since become 
valuable.  The parcels conveyed were set apart and allotted by Maxwell E. 
BUTLER and Charles S. BUTLER, as joint tenants in and by a final judgment of 
the Supreme Court last February in an action for partition brought against 
Lawrence S. BUTLER and Joseph MERRILLON, the latter being the widow (?) of 
Corenia Stewart MERRILLON, who died in Paris, France, leaving an estate of 
several million dollars.  Mrs. MERRILLON was a relative of Mrs. A.T. STEWART.

8 July 1910
Mostly for Minor Offenses -Soldiers Plead Guilty to Wrecking Saloon
The Grand Jury returned thirty-one indictments before Judge FAWCETT in Part 
I, of the County Court today.  The majority of them charged minor offenses 
and among the defendants were four soldiers of the regular army who are 
stationed at Fort Hamilton.  They are: Walter ADAMS, 22 years old, Charles 
ACEY, 27 years old, Thomas BEATTY, 38 years old, and John K. GRISWALL, 29 
years old.  The charge was malicious mischief.  They were remanded until 
Monday for sentence.

On June 24 the four of them were about to start for target practice.  They 
stopped in the saloon of Tony CHRISTIAN, near the fort, and drank a little 
too freely, so much so in fact that their next aim in life seemed to be to 
wipe Tony CHRISTIAN's saloon off the earth.  They smashed the piano, tables 
and chairs and in general caused damages to the amount of several hundred 
dollars.  Before passing sentence, Judge FAWCETT will be apprised of the 
record of each man by the commanding officers at the fort.

James A. DOWD, 16 years old, pleaded guilty to attempted forgery in the 
second degree for forging an order on June 16 for a quantity of gold for 
dental use in the name of V.L. HUNTER, D.D.S., on Samuel M. VRENDENBURGH.

Isaac FEINSTEIN and another man indicted for assault in the first degree for 
shooting Jacob SCHELKOWITZ, a witness in the case of Louis LEVINE, one of the 
members of the Arsenic Club, who was sent to Sing Sing last Monday for 
fifteen years, both entered pleas of not guilty.  Bail was fixed in each case 
at $5,000.

9 July 1910
Joseph W. SWAN, 47 years old, of 69 Hancock Street, Everett, Mass., who is 
charged with kidnaping his six-year-old son, Robert, from his divorced wife 
in Boston in May, 1908, and going to Brazil, where the two had been for the 
past two years, was taken to Boston today.

SWAN is anxious to get back to Boston, and said yesterday had the police not 
arrested him here he would be in Boston now.  He said he left Rio Janeiro 
with full knowledge he would be arrested just as soon as he set foot ashore, 
but he made up his mind to see his mother, who is now in her eighty-sixth 
yar, and very feeble, no matter what the cost.  SWAN believes Massachusetts 
justice will be lenient with him owing to the fact that he notified the 
Boston police before sailing from the South American port that he was about 
to embark for this country.

14 July 1910
  An interlocutory judgment of divorce has been secured by Mrs. Beatrice 
GIRLING HEIDE, of 267 Fifteenth Street, against her husband, Albert HEIDE.  
The couple were married in 1900 and have one child, Mabel, 5 years old.

16 July 1910
And Miss HOOD is Placed in Charge of Probationary Officer.
William R. PHILBRICK, 27 years old, a salesman, of 673 Sterling place,
charged by Mrs. Sadie JOHNSON, of 153 Gates avenue, with having attempted
to abduct her daughter by her first marriage. Beatrice HOOD, 17 years
old, was paroled for examination on July 26 by Magistrate NAUMER in the
Myrtle avenue court to-day. The girl, who was charged with waywardness,
was placed in the care of Mrs. TAYLOR, the probationary officer.
PHILBRICK was arrested by Detectives DUKESHIRE and DITTMAN late yesterday
afternoon, as he was about to board the steamer Yale for Boston at Pier
14, North River. They found the man and the girl on the pier.
Mrs. JOHNSON complained to the police her daughter, in spite of her
admonition and orders, had gone away with PHILBRICK. She said that
Thursday night he induced Beatrice to leave. PHILBRICK said that night he
had met the girl and she told him she had not been treated well at home.
He said he took her to the Grand avenue police station, and after
explaining the situation to the lieutenant in charge, asked advice.
The desk lieutenant, according to PHILBRICK, made no effort to help him
and practically told him to get out. The girl stated she went to the St.
Mark's Hotel, St. Marks and Rogers avenues, and took a room there for the
night, paying for it with her own money. She declared she had gone to the
pier to see her friend PHILBRICK off on his vacation.

23 July 1910
Poughkeepsie July 23.  The will of MEADE, Helen I. was admitted to probate by 
Surrogate HOPKINS yesterday.  The entire estate consists principally of a 
vested remainder in real property at Boston, Mass., the value of which 
unknown, but believed to be about $150,000.00.  Two Brooklynites are 
beneficiaries of the will.  they are Clara WELLS, who was left $3,030 and 
Miss NELISON, to whom $1,000 was bequeathed

28 July 1910
Rose CASIMINO, Only 16 Years Old, With Infant, In Forgiving Mood   
ONE WIFE REFUSED A HOME.                                
Another Woman Wanted Her Husband to Stay Away.
Magistrate GEISMAR in the Fifth avenue court dispose of eighteen
abandonment cases in less than an hour yesterday afternoon.  Four of the
alleged erring husbands were dismissed, as their accusers failed to
appear against them.

Alfred E. LATHAM, 33 years old, who has been married for sixteen years,
and who has been separated from his wife on several occasions, was
charged with abandoning her last Christmas.  He denied the charge, and
his attorney, Martin P. LYNCH, said his client was ready to provide a
home.  Mrs. LATHAM gave 621 Fifty-eighth street as her address, but she
is said to be a resident of Rhode Island.  She said she has no intention
of returning to her husband.  LATHAM was ordered to pay $8 to his wife
and the case was adjourned.

Mrs. Edward HAGUE, of 326 Tenth street, who had her husband arrested for
abandoning her and four children, said she was satisfied with receiving
$8 a week, but wanted her husband to stay away from Her.  HAGUE, who
lives at 345 Forty-fifth street, gave up the latchkey to the home of his
wife and children, and promised to be regular in his payments of the
amount named in court.

Rose CASIMINO, 16 years old, of 217 Twentieth street, who had a 17 day
old baby in court, was at first determined to have her husband, Joseph,
put under bail, as she feared he was about to sail for Italy.  The
couple eloped a year ago.  Joseph disclaimed any intention of skipping
away and promised to support his family as best he could.  Rose, who is
diminutive in stature, said she would give her husband another chance.
He was paroled and the case adjourned.

Magistrate NAUMER and the spectators heard a strange tale of youthful
wanderlust in the Flatbush court today when the magistrate began to
question Cornelius KELLIHER, 16 years old, who was before him charged
with vagrancy.  The boy was arrested last night while sleeping under a
tree at East 102d street, Canaraie.
He told the magistrate two years ago his father, John, who lives at 1498
Rockaway avenue, married the second time and he could not get along with
his stepmother.  He left home and has been wandering around the country
since, sleeping out of doors and begging or stealing his meals.
The magistrate decided to parole the boy until his story could be
investigated and advised him to go home.  Young KELLIHER asked to be
sent to jail, however, where he would have enough to eat.  The probation
officer will look the case up.

29 July 1910
HAYNES, of St. Marks Avenue Knocked Spouse Down and Kicked Her

Special Sessions Justices Lenient in Other Cases

Six months in the Penitentiary at hard labor was the sentence imposed by
Justices FLEMING, RYAN and FORKER in the Court of Special Sessions
yesterday afternoon, upon Timothy HAYNES, of 390 St. Marks avenue.
HAYNES was charged with beating his wife, Anna, and was convicted after
a brief trial.

The assault on Mrs. HAYNES occurred on the night of March 26, at their
home, and the next day Mrs. HAYNES appeared against her husband before
Magistrate NASH in Flatbush court.  The woman testified HAYNES knocked
her down with several blows then kicked her.  Witnesses corroborated her story.

Magistrate NASH paroled HAYNES for Special Sessions, so he could support
Mrs. HAYNES and pay the doctor's bills.  He disappeared and when the
case came up in Special Session could not be found.  A warrant was
issued for his arrest, and he was found after a long search.

Other cases disposed of yesterday were:
Michael SLATTERY, 1790 Nostrand avenue; assault; dismissed
Joseph SALVIA, 2864 West Third street; violation liquor tax law;sentence suspended
Alfonso SUIZONE, 14 Tenth street; non-support; acquitted
Giovanni ROMANO, 514 Wythe avenue; carrying revolver; sentence suspended
Louis PURVIN, 130 Watkins street; non-support; discharged
Pius WEIDNER, 2 Harrison avenue; non-support; dismissed
Arthur BROWN, 141 Engert avenue; violation liquor tax law; fined $10
John TECHAN and William SCHNELDER; assault; dismissed
Resca BENEDITTI, 1717 Atlantic avenue, carrying revolver; sixty days in penitentiary
John and Rose MARTI, 83 Stagg street, petty larceny; John, 
	three months in penitentiary and Rose, acquitted.
Frederick BLANK, 322 Park place, violation liquor tax law; acquitted.

Transcribed by 
M.E. Fitzpatrick
Ann Enck
Return to COURT MAIN
Return to CIVIL MAIN