enter name and hit return
Find in Page
1 June 1929
Santanello’s Tears Fail to Move Her From Determination to Punish Him
   Tears of Albert SANTANELLO, 32, 235 Roebling street, made scant impression
on his wife, Rachel, in Bridge Plaza Court yesterday.
   "You can send him away for life for all I care," she told Magistrate DALE.
But the magistrate instead held him in $1,500 bail on a charge of grand
larceny for action of the Grand Jury.
   SANTANELLO, according to the complaint made by his wife, stole a diamond
ring and two diamond earrings, valued at $1,000 from her and pawned them in a
shop on Grand street, Manhattan. He mailed her the pawn tickets, she said.
   He called her on the telephone Wednesday, she said and made an appointment
to meet her at Marcy avenue and South Fourth street that night to effect a
reconciliation, she stated. When they met, she had a detective from the
Bedford avenue station with her and SANTANELLO was arrested. Mrs. SANTANELLO
said the jewels were given her by her mother a few days before she died last

Mother Doubts Son Will Ever Wed Suzanne Lenglen
   PARIS, June 1 (U P). 
Mrs. Anita BALDWIN, widow of the late 'Lucky'
BALDWIN, denied today that either her son Baldwin BALDWIN or his wife was
contemplating divorce proceedings here.
   Mrs. BALDWIN also denied that Suzanne LENGLEN had anything to do with the
breaking up of the home of her son, saying: "My son separated from his wife a
year before he met this Frenchwoman."
   Mrs. BALDWIN said she doubted that her son ever would marry the French
tennis star. Miss LENGLEN and young BALDWIN are now in southern France.

4 June 1929
SCHMITMAN Held for Violating State Law
   Harry SCHMITMAN, 38, 2153 Sixty-second street, appeared before Magistrate
MAGUIRE in Fifth avenue court today to answer to a charge of violating the
State Educational Law, "in that he practiced dentistry with a license." He was
held in $1,000 bail for a hearing June 14 in Coney Island Court.
   SCHMITMAN was arrested by Patrolman Thomas CARMODY of the Nineteenth
Division, after he had examined two women, Emma FRIEDMAN and Dorothy
TANNENBAUM, special investigators for the Attorney-General’s office.

Conviction of Walter HERNANDEZ in Stolen Goods Case Affirmed
   The Appellate Division of the Supreme Court today upheld the conviction of
Walter HERNANDEZ of Merrick who was convicted of receiving stolen goods before
County Judge SMITH in Nassau County and sentenced to serve from five to ten
years in Sing Sing prison.
   HERNANDEZ was charged with having received a Packard automobile stolen from
Alice THEISS, 125 West Sixty-ninth street, Manhattan. The car was found in
HERNANDEZ’ garage in Merrick by Detective OVERDEIL, the officer reported. He
also charged that HERNANDEZ offered him $5,000 and later a Pierce-Arrow
care"also said to have been stolen-to "forget it."
   HERNANDEZ in his appeal said that placing this evidence before the jury in
his trial had prejudiced the jurors.
   The Appellate Division in its decision said: "When one charged with a crime
offers a bribe to escape or to cloak his guilty act with the guise of
innocence, it is proper for the jury to pass upon the act in determining his
guilt or innocence."

Is Severe on Man Who Beat Horses and Was Soon to Wed
   Magistrate Jeanette G. BRILL began her career on the bench in Flatbush
court this morning by meting out a sentence of a fine of $25 or ten days in
jail to Nat GROSS, 25, of 422 Christopher street, Manhattan, who pleaded
guilty to beating his horse.
   GROSS, who admitted it was his second offense, was arrested on complaint of
Harry FRELUND, a special officer of the American Society for the Prevention of
Cruelty to Animals, who charged that on June 1, at Classon and Nostrand
avenues, GROSS "unmercifully whipped his horse" in an effort to make him move.
   GROSS told the magistrate he made $20 a week. Unable to pay the fine he is
in jail.
   Whether to call up his fiancee and ask her to bring him the money or to
spend ten days in jail is the problem confronting him now, GROSS said. The
wedding is set for June 27.
   In imposing sentence, which is more severe than usual for the offense,
Magistrate BRILL said: "I am sorry to have to be so severe with you, but
horsewhipping seems to be a habit with you."
   On her arrival in court, Magistrate BRILL discovered she was the first of
the court personnel to arrive.
   After waiting half an hour, her stenographer arrived and the work of the
day began. Today’s docket, with fifty cases to be disposed of, was sufficient
to awe any magistrate, but Magistrate BRILL attacked her job like an
   "I do feel a little nervous, this morning," she confided to a court
attendant, but she showed no signs of it.
   The first person to gain the official attention of the new magistrate was
Evelyn DONNELLY of 1353 East Fifty-eighth street, who came into court to
complain that her next door neighbor, Antigone CASSEZIETIA, of 1351 East
Fifty-eighth street, had "called her out of her name."
   Magistrate BRILL issued a summons for the other woman.
  Then Harry GLICK, 28, of 706 Lefferts avenue, appeared on the charge of
obstructing the sidewalk at 98 Flatbush avenue.
   "I’ll fine you $2 this time," Magistrate BRILL said after hearing the
evidence, "but be careful because the next time it is going to be more

Queens Woman Granted Alimony After Tale of Abuse
   Charging that her husband squandered her $10,000 bank account and then beat
her on several occasions because she had no further funds, Mrs. Mathilda
SCHULTZ of 4033 194th street, Auburndale, before Justice Leander FABER
yesterday in Queens Court, Jamaica, was awarded $30 a week alimony and $300
counsel fee from her husband, Julius SCHULTZ, store manager for F. W.
Woolworth Company so that she may start an action for separation.
   Mrs. SCHULTZ says that they were married June 24, 1916 and she only parted
because of her husband’s cruelty. The complainant alleges that up until 1922
she had a bank account of $10,000 but shortly after placed it in a joint
account with her husband.
   'Julius always told me he had the bank book in safe keeping sometimes in a
safety vault and on other occasions in a strong box in our home,' Mrs. SCHULTZ
states. 'In 1926 I demanded of him to show me the book and when he did I saw
that the $10,000 had been drawn out.'
   SCHULTZ claims the money represented part of his earnings during his
married life. He adds that he agreed to place it in a joint account with his
wife and only spent it for food, clothing and other expenses.

Charles WILLINGHAM Shy on Bail at Queens Court Hearing
   Charles WILLINGHAM, 28 years old of 147-59 109th avenue, Jamaica, was
unable to raise $5000, which was asked by Magistrate Frank GIORGIO yesterday
in the Jamaica Court when arraigned on a charge of felonious assault, and as a
result must stay in the Queens County Jail until June 7 for further
   WILLINGHAM, whom police have named 'cop beater' is alleged to have put a
gash in the forehead of Patrolman Thomas PHILLIPS of the Jamaica Precinct
after wrestling his nightstick from him. The officer had been investigating a
quarrel between negroes at 177 Rockaway road, Jamaica, when WILLINGHAM
attacked him. PHILLIPS managed to secure the nightstick from WILLINGHAM, after
which the alleged 'cop beater' received an old-fashioned spanking with it.
   Another quarrel brought Jacob DOUGLAS, 39, of 1228 Jennett avenue, Far
Rockaway, before Magistrate GIORGIO, on a charge of felonious assault alleged
by James P. WALLACE, of 309 Maiden Lane, Inwood. WALLACE claims that on Sunday
night at Jennett avenue and Butler street, Far Rockaway, he was slashed across
the right hip with a razor while wrestling with DOUGLAS. A plea of not guilty
was made by DOUGLAS in court yesterday, after which he was held in no bail for
further examination June 6 in the Rockaway Beach Magistrate’s Court.

Wins Award in Queens for Automobile Accident of Four Years Ago
   Mrs. Carolyn BRUNS, a widow of 338 Lincoln place, Brooklyn, was awarded a
judgment of $25,000 by a jury in Queens Surrogate Court yesterday in an
uncontested action brought before Justice Edward RIEGELMAN against Seren SKOW
of 300 119th street, Richmond Hill. The suit was brought for the death of
Edward BRUNS, husband of the plaintiff, who died on June 21, 1925 as a result
of injuries he suffered when an automobile in which he was riding was struck
by a car operated by the defendant the day before at Springfield boulevard and
Central avenue, St. Albans.
   BRUNS, who was a prominent builder of St. Albans, was riding in the machine
of William MUENS, a city fireman of 119-47 190th street, St. Albans. MUENS
testified that the defendant’s automobile was traveling at such a high rate of
speed that the impact shifted the body of his car two and one-half inches off
the chassis, and drove the machine a distance of fifteen feet. As a result of
the death of her husband, all his building operations ceased, the widow
testified. She asked for $50,000.

5 June 1929
Mrs. Gertrude STERN Asks for Annulment
   Deserted, she claims, within an hour after her wedding, Mrs. Gertrude Naomi
STERN of 418 Tompkins avenue, applied to Justice STRONG in Supreme Court today
for an annulment of her marriage to Harry STERN.
   According to Mrs. STERN and her two sisters, Mrs. Mary WEAVER of 1677
Lexington avenue, Manhattan, and Mrs. Laura WALLING, 278 Orange avenue,
Irvington, N.J., the STERNS were married in the Municipal Building, Manhattan,
Sept. 26, 1922.
   "My sister had arranged to give us a reception at her home in the evening
of the day we were married," Mrs. STERN said. "On the way uptown my husband
excused himself saying that he must go home for his evening clothes. That is
the last I have ever seen of him." Justice STRONG reserved decision.

Jesse H. FINKLER Is Denied Fees by Court
   Jesse Herbert FINKLER, an attorney of 225 Broadway, Manhattan, was removed
today by Supreme Court Justice CROPSEY as referee to sell property in a
foreclosure action and George A. VOSS, former assistant district attorney, was
appointed in his stead. Mr. FINKLER was removed because he had put certain
conditions in the terms of sale of a piece of property. Justice CROPSEY denied
him any fees for his work to date.
   Mr. FINKLER is said to have sold a piece of property in Bensonhurst with
the proviso that the purchaser would take title subject to the violation by
city departments into the rights of tenants or occupants, which Justice
Cropsey declared invalidated the sale.

6 June 1929
Surrogates Notices
   The People of the State of New York, by the grace of God free and
independent, --To George BLACK, Harriet MORRIS and to the Attorney General of
the State of New York, the Public Administrator of the County of Kings, and to
any and all unknown persons whose names or parts of whose names and whose
place or places of residence are unknown and cannot after diligent inquiry be
ascertained, heirs-at-law and next of kin of said Mary Etta HULL, deceased,
Send greeting.
   Whereas Andrew REIS, who resides at 1138 Sterling place, Brooklyn, New
York, has presented a petition praying for a decree that a certain instrument
in writing bearing date the 29th day of October, 1928, relating to real
property, be duly proved as the last will and testament of Mary Etta HULL,
lately residing at No. 1138 Sterling place in the Borough of Brooklyn, City of
New York.
   Now, therefore, you and each of you are hereby cited to show cause before
our Surrogate’s Court of the County of Kings, to be held at the Hall of
Records, in the County of Kings on the 18th day of June, 1929, at ten o’clock
in the forenoon, why such decree should not be made.
   In testimony whereof we have caused the seal of our said Surrogate’s Court
to be hereunto affixed.
   Witness: Hon. George Albert WINGATE, Surrogate of our said Court in the
Borough of Brooklyn in the said County, on the 15th day of May 1929.
   John H. McCOOEY, Clerk of the Surrogate’s Court.

Held for Grand Jury on Charge of Stabbing Mrs. HOWE May 22
   George L. TAYLOR, 37, an electrical contractor, of 2303 Clarendon road, was
held for the Grand Jury today charged with the murder of Mrs. Edna HOWE, 34 of
4302 Flatlands avenue, on May 22. He was arraigned before Judge HEALY in
Snyder avenue Homicide Court.
   It is alleged that TAYLOR and Mrs. HOWE, who met after the death of her
husband, a prominent lawyer, eight months ago, engaged in a drinking bout in
her apartment the night of the murder during which a quarrel arose over
another man. TAYLOR is said to have gone to the kitchen, returned with a bread
knife and stabbed Mrs. HOWE, whom he was to marry next January.
   Detective CROSS of the Thirty-fifth Precinct, who testified against TAYLOR,
said that after the murder he found TAYLOR in a drunken stupor in his
Clarendon road home and that after four hours of questioning at the police
station, TAYLOR confessed.

Because Operation Cost Job, Court Frees Him
   The fact that he submitted to a blood transfusion to save a friend’s life
and later lost his job when his arm failed to heal properly, aroused sympathy
for William W. DAILE, of Springfield, Ohio, when he appeared before Judge
THORP in Rockville on a charge of petty larceny. DAILE was let off with a
suspended sentence.
   DAILE was caught in the act of siphoning gasoline from an automobile,
Memorial Day morning and had spent six days in the county jail afterwards.
Because of this fact, and his sacrifice in giving blood, Judge THORP said he
felt DAILE had been punished enough.

Woman Brings Would-Be Business Man to Court
   Charging that Max KARNAL, 28, of 206 Rutledge street, wheedled $800 from
her to start a business which he would operate after they were married, Miss
Charlotte WILLIAMS, a stenographer in a downtown Manhattan bank, had KARNAL
arrested on charges of grand larceny. KARNAL is scheduled for a hearing in
Essex Market court.
   According to Miss WILLIAMS, KARNAL proposed marriage to her without
mentioning the wife from whom he is separated. She agreed to marry and when he
appeared with a license taken out in Mt. Vernon, she gave him $800 with which
to start business. After getting the money, she said, he failed to appear at
the time set for the wedding, and later she learned of his wife.

Charges Bullet Struck Baby’s Eye During Target Practice
   George S. JARET, 23 years old, of 67-32 Hinman street, Middle Village,
appearing before Magistrate Thomas F. DOYLE in Ridgewood court, Queens,
yesterday on a charge of felonious assault, was held in $2,000 bail for
examination June 14.
   JARET was arrested in his home yesterday morning by Detective William
CARTER of the Glendale station on the complaint of Mrs. Minnie MERKEL of 19
Proctor street, Middle Village.
   Mrs. MERKEL charges that while shooting at a target in the rear of his home
Tuesday JARET fired a bullet which passed through his target and struck her 22
months old son Thomas in the left eye while he was in his carriage in the rear
of her home, which is in the rear of JARET’S.
   The child is now in the Brooklyn Eye and Ear Hospital, where after eye
specialists had removed the bullet, it was said that they hoped to save the
sight of the child.

Fines Woman, Citing Many Child Victims
   Because of the many children bitten by stray, unmuzzled dogs in the Eastern
District the past two months, Magistrate BROWN in the Bridge Plaza court has
made it plain he will fine every dog owner brought to court for allowing a
canine to roam unmuzzled.
   The first victim of the magistrate’s policy was Mrs. Rae GORDON, 43, of 91
Moore street. She was given the option of paying a fine of $5 or spending two
days in jail. She paid the fine.
   "There are entirely too many children bitten by unmuzzled dogs," he said,
"The warm weather is at hand and unless we take proper precaution the number
of dog bite victims will increase. There is no excuse for letting a dog run
without a muzzle."

Manhattan Youth Held in $1,000 Bail
   After he had waived examination in the Coney Island court yesterday to a
charge of sending a threatening letter by mail, William CALLAHAN, 29, of 329
West Fourteenth street, Manhattan, was held by Magistrate HUGHES in $1,000
bail for the Court of Special Sessions.
   CALLAHAN, a shipping clerk, was arrested on complaint of Miss Agnes
MUSGRAVE, a stenographer living at 1928 East Twenty-ninth street. She alleged
he sent a letter to her in which he threatened to injure her "probably by a
couple of bullets, Chicago style."

7 June 1929
Attorney Obtains Dismissal in Coney
   Police practice of arresting men playing cards in private homes, alleging
annoyance to neighbors, is insufferable and unlawful according to Julian V. C.
CARABBA, an attorney in Coney Island court today. He obtained a dismissal for
ten men, arrested last Wednesday night in the home of Angelino JOCCARINO, at
his coffee house at 1523 Neptune place. Patrolman William DOWNS, of Inspector
SHELVEY staff, arrested them on the charge that they were noisy and disturbing
the neighbors. He charged JOCCARINO with conducting a gambling establishment
in permitting the others to play cards for money in his place. CARABBA
declared such arrests were illegal and that the police knew it.
   CARABBA demanded immediate examination for the men. DOWNS testified that
the men were seated about two tables talking loudly while playing cards.
   "You knew, didn’t you" asked CARABBA, "that the arrests were illegal?"
   DOWNS replied in the negative. He said that he heard the noise and made the
   "Your Honor," continued CARABBA, "this is the fourth time in a week that
policemen have raided this place and each time the defendants were discharged.
These men before you, like the others molested by the police, are hard working
men who seek a little diversion at times. They are family men and respectable
citizens. The police would not dare to enter the Union League Club or similar
organizations and lock up men playing cards."
   In dismissing the cases, Magistrate HUGHES remarked that he was obliged to
discharge the men because of the absence of the annoyed neighbors. JOCARINO
was discharged because of insufficient evidence.

CROPSEY Reverses Ruling in Case of Christian S. JUELL, Jr.
   Supreme Court Justice CROPSEY today handed down a decision awarding
temporary custody of twelve year old Christian S. JUELL, Jr., to his father,
of Stwart Manor, Long Island.
   The decision amended the decree secured by Juell’s former wife, now Mrs.
Ellen E. ERVING, July 22, 1925, which gave her full custody of the child. By a
former agreement, JUELL was permitted to have the boy with him occasionally.
He paid $12 weekly toward the youngster’s support.
   JUELL told Justice CROPSEY that his wife had sent the boy to Norway. The
father, through the Norwegian Consul, started action to get his boy back.
Justice CROPSEY pointed out that the mother had no right to send the boy away
and that the secrecy with which she had done it proved she knew she was doing
wrong. JUELL will apply for permanent custody of the boy September 1.

   Daniel P. HANLON, 19, of 508 Monroe street, Cedarhurst, son of County
Patrolman Michael P. HANLON, has been acquitted of driving while intoxicated
by a jury before Justice NEU in the Lynbrook court. A clash between two
physicians over evidence of HANLON’s alleged intoxication featured the trial.
The jury deliberated twelve minutes.
   Dr. E. K. HORTON of Rockville Centre testified he thought HANLON was
intoxicated when he examined him in the South Nassau Communities Hospital.
Defense Counsel Norman F. LENT of Lynbrook obtained admission from Dr. William
S. HORTON [names as written in article] of Lynbrook, that a person suffering
from fright might exhibit symptoms of alleged drunkenness such as HANLON

Throws Up Sponge After HIRSHFIELD’s Hook on Spats
   Magistrate David HIRSHFIELD, sitting in Adams street court, today relieved
the tedium of his duties by engaging in a verbal tilt with an unidentified
mounted policeman. It was a slow battle with Magistrate HIRSHFIELD forcing the
   The first round opened with the magistrate dancing out of his corner at the
sight of a handsome mounted cop standing about six feet two inches who had
entered the court seeking information. Magistrate HIRSHFIELD led with, "Are
you a Northwest mounted policeman?"
   The cop ducked and answered, "no, your honor, I am a member of the New York
City police force."
   Judge HIRSHFIELD crowded in close and sent in a slam at the new WHALEN
designed uniforms.
   "What’s that makeup you’re wearing? It looks like that of a Northwest
Mountie, but I suppose it’s the new outfit designed by WHALEN and to be
financed by charity?"
   The cop was visibly disturbed and countered heavily with self-respect.
   "No sir, if your honor please," he declared stoutly. "I bought and paid for
this uniform myself and I’m not looking for anyone to buy my clothes."
   The sartorial critic shifted his attack to the cop’s Sam Browne belt.
   "That belt of yours is pretty nice." Magistrate HIRSHFIELD admitted, "but I
don’t believe you could draw your gun very fast."
   The magistrate had grown careless and now was fighting the cop’s kind of
battle. As quick as a flash, the cop whipped out his gun and answered lightly,
   "Oh, it’s easy for me, Your Honor, I used to be a State Trooper."
   Magistrate HIRSHFIELD appeared considerably shaken and sent over a verbal
blow, started low, plainly meant to end the battle.
   "Let’s see," he asked, "have you got your spats on?"
   This was too much for the cop. He left the arena in confusion.
   Outside the courtroom the cop was asked his name. He replied, "Good night,
I can’t give you my name. I don’t want to get into trouble with that guy."

8 June 1929
Octet Accused of Entering New Utrecht Dress Shop, Stealing Garments
   Eight young men taken into custody by Detectives John FITZSIMMONS and John
OSNATO, of the Bath Beach station, last Monday night on a charge of burglary
were discharged by Magistrate Frederick HUGHES in Coney Island court
   The men were accused of burglarizing the dress shop of Josephine ASARO at
7408 New Utrecht avenue May 31 last and stealing dresses valued at $1,100.
   Detective FITZSIMMONS related to the court that the arrests were made on a
'tip' and that he could not obtain sufficient information to complete the
case. He said that after making diligent investigation he was unable to obtain
witnesses to the burglary.
   All the defendants denied knowledge of the crime. They were:
   Vincent SEBASTIABO, 23, of 6719 Thirteenth avenue; 
Joseph CORBANI, 20, of 1454 Sixty-fifth street; 
Dominick De MARTINE, 17, of 6807 New Utrecht avenue;
Ralph TROPIANO, 19, of 1119 Sixty-fifth street; 
Carlo GIORDANO, 22, of 1427 Sixty-sixth street; 
Arthur De SIMONE, 17, of 1504 Sixty-sixth street; 
John BANDILLO, 19, of 1266 Seventy-fourth street  
William URSINO, 20, of 7408 New Utrecht avenue.

Widow of Well-Known Physician Distributes $20,000 Here in Will
   To three Brooklyn charities bequests totaling $20,000 were made by Mrs.
Harriet FORDE BARTLETT, widow of Dr. Homer L. BARTLETT, in her will filed
today in the office of Surrogate WINGATE.
   Mrs. BARTLETT died May 30, last. Her residence was at 1 St. Paul’s Court.
The will was drawn May 10, last. The value of the estate was not disclosed,
but is believed to be large.
   Under the will the Brooklyn Home for Children at 217 Sterling place will
receive $10,000, and the House of St. Giles the Cripple, at 1346 President
street and the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children, at 105
Schermerhorn street, $5,000 each. All the rest of the estate Mrs. BARTLETT
bequeathed to friends.

   Henry Colin CAMPBELL, 61-year old engineer, publicity man and sales
promoter, will go on trial before Supreme Court Justice CASE and a jury in the
Court of Oyer and Terminer at Elizabeth, N.J. next Monday, under an indictment
charging that he shot to death Mrs. Mildred MOWRY, whom he had bigamously
married and then soaked her body with kerosene and set it afire.
   Prosecutor DAVID, of Union County, will demand the electric chair as the
penalty. Francis A. GORDON, counsel for CAMPBELL, will plead insanity.

Landlord Hales Tenant to Court
   Miss Edna CROWE, 34, of 9115 Colonial road, was given a hearing in Fifth
avenue court before Magistrate Joseph MAGUIRE today on a charge of disorderly
conduct preferred by her landlord William COOKE. The case was adjourned to
June 13.
   According to COOKE, Miss CROWE has disturbed her neighbors for the last
several weeks by continually blowing a police whistle, screaming and pounding
on the floor of her apartment. The slightest noise which she hears in the
building, COOKE said, she imagines is someone trying to break into her rooms.

   Stanley NOVAK, 26, of 241 Eckford street, was sentenced to a term of six
months in the Workhouse on a charge of non-support by Magistrate DOYLE in
Ridgewood court yesterday.
   His wife, Mary, alleged he refused to contribute toward her support. Mrs.
NOVAK lives at 61-22 Clinton avenue, Maspeth.

10 June 1929
Will Not Say What Court Action May Be Taken
   Petters will have to find some place other than the famous Lovers Lane at
the end of Flatbush avenue to do their petting tonight. Police of the Brooklyn
Avenue Station announced today that a concentrated drive will be made to rid
the section of the parking spooners.
   Just what will be done to the petters the police would not say. They merely
explained that Magistrate Jeannette BRILL had been deeply shocked by the
conditions on that stretch of Flatbush Avenue that extends from Avenue U to
the Barren Island Ferry, and they intend to remedy them.
   They explained that there was a time when one policemen could cope with all
the petters who parked there and still have enough time to cover the rest of
his beat. Then all of Brooklyn heard of the spot and the policeman had to be
given a car to cover his beat.
   This spring the number increased by leaps and bounds. The police found it
necessary to put another patrolman on the job.
   Even this measure failed to stem the rush of lovers to the spot and police
had to confine themselves to looking after the minors. After the curfew hour
they sought those whose obvious place was home and bed and chased them there.
Weight of numbers forced them to ignore the more adult petters.
   Tonight, however, and every night thereafter, all petters, regardless of
age, race, creed or color, will be routed, and perhaps where necessary they
will be asked to make an explanation to a judge.

   Joseph FRIEDLAND, 40, of 1574 East Fifteenth street, was held in bail of
$1,000 today by Magistrate RUDICH in Flatbush court on a charge of felonious
assault. Samuel BRUNNER, 1575 East Fifteenth street, a treasury department
agent, is in Kings County Hospital with a possible fracture of the skull as a
result of an altercation with FRIEDLAND last night.
   According to police, BRUNNER had parked his car in front of FRIEDLAND’s
house, and the altercation started when after a scuffle, BRUNNER is said to
have gone back into his car and FRIEDLAND struck him a blow on the head with a
blunt instrument. FRIEDLAND denied these charges.

   Ernest DIAS, 31, of 1379 Atlantic avenue, pleaded guilty to possessing and
manufacturing whiskey when he was arraigned before Judge GALSTON in Federal
Court today.
   DIAS was arrested April 23 and has been in jail forty-seven days. After
accepting his plea, Judge GALSTON sentenced him to sixty days in jail so that
DIAS will be released after serving thirteen days longer.

11 June 1929
   Trial of the contest of the will of Richard Lee CUTHBERT, of 779 East
Twenty-first street, is going on today before Surrogate WINGATE and a jury.
CUTHBERT died on January 8 of this year while he was a senior at Cornell
University. His death was due to influenza contracted while he was attending a
convention at Nashville, Tenn.
   His will was dated July 8, 1924. In it he left his estate of $120,000 to
his aunt, Mrs. Emma C. REID with whom he had lived. The will is being
contested by his grandmother, Mrs. Jane COOK, 83, of 173 Rutland road. She
alleges the will was not duly executed and further alleges that at the time
the will was drawn the testator was under undue influence.

Undefended Action Followed Loss of Leg When Hit by Another’s Car
   A jury before Justice Edward J. RIEGELMANN in Queens County Supreme Court,
Long Island City, yesterday awarded $65,000 to Herman F. TRETTNER, a
delicatessen store owner of 1051 Seneca avenue, Ridgewood, Queens, in his
$100,000 action for damages against Dennis V. REILLY, formerly of
Flushing-Hillcrest, Queens. REILLY did not defend the suit.
   TRETTNER testified that on January 18, 1926 while driving his car across
the Queensborough Bridge from Manhattan, he stopped to change a punctured
tire. He said that while standing at the rear of his car unfastening the spare
tire, he was hit by a car owned and operated by REILLY.
   TRETTNER testified that both of his legs were crushed, the left so badly
that it was necessary to amputate it above his knee, and that he suffered
severe head injuries. As a result of the accident, he said he is crippled for
life. REILLY is said to have moved South.

Husband Under Bail on Larceny Charge
   After an examination in the Coney Island court yesterday Magistrate HAUBERT
held Leon GRISAR, 23 years old, of 1547 West Fifth street, in $500 bail for
Special Sessions on a charge of petty larceny.
   GRISAR was accused by his wife, Rose, from whom he has been estranged for
three months and who lives at 2224 Mermaid avenue, of stealing linen valued at
$100 from her on April 28 where the couple lived at 3407 Avenue R. Mrs. GRISAR
claimed that the linen had been given to her by her mother as part of her
trousseau. Her husband insisted that they were wedding gifts and that he had a
right to remove them when his wife left him.

Attorney McGINNISS Pleads, Proves Youth Guiltless, Victim of Employer
   A father fought and won for his son.
   The son warmly thanked the father for a victory that saved his good
reputation and kept him from a prison cell.
   John J. McGINNISS, a grizzled veteran of the Brooklyn bar, long active in
Republican politics and once the Republican candidate for the bench of the
county court before County Judge MARTIN and a jury today put up the hardest
legal battle of his long career.
   His fight was for his son, Gerald J. McGINNISS, 24, of 2210 East Seventh
street, who was charged with grand larceny in the second degree. The charge
against young McGINNISS was an outgrowth of the thefts traced to John BIELMAN,
who for years was well known in the Borough Hall section as a bonding agent.
BIELMAN had appropriated more than $100,000 from various estates. He is now
awaiting sentence by Judge MARTIN on a charge of grand larceny in the second
degree. Gerald McGINNISS had been in the employ of BIELMAN. It was charged
against him that he had appropriated to his own use $1,360.47 of the estate of
the late Mary E. O’NEIL.
   Through his cross-examination of the various witnesses for the prosecution,
Attorney McGINNISS brought out the fact that they knew nothing proving the
defendant had ever stolen a cent. After the last witness for the prosecution
had been heard Attorney McGINNISS, in moving for a dismissal of the charge,
said to Judge MARTIN:
   "There is not a scintilla of proof that my boy ever kept a penny. He did
draw out this money and turn it over to his employer as he was directed to do.
Because another, by whom he was employed, turned out to be a thief, the same
stigma cannot be placed on my boy. In the total absence of any guilt on the
part of my boy, I now move for the dismissal of this charge against him."
   "What have you to say, Mr. District Attorney?" asked Judge MARTIN of
Assistant District Attorney William F. X. GEOGHAN, in charge of the
   "Counsel for the defense is right," replied Mr. GEOGHAN. "I have submitted,
as was my duty, all the evidence, and that evidence does not in any way show
that this defendant appropriated one cent. I join in the motion of Mr.
McGINNISS for the dismissal of the charge against his boy."
   "Motion granted," ruled Judge MARTIN. "Charge dismissed."
   The case of McGINNISS marked the first trial before a jury in the new home
of the county courthouse in the former lodge of the Brooklyn Elks on South
Oxford street.

Man Licensed to Wed Under Pretense, Letter Reveals
   Camden, N.J., June 11.-A letter led to the undoing of Edward HADLEY, 26
years old, of 671 Manhattan avenue, Brooklyn, who was sentenced to six months
in the Camden County Jail, when he was arraigned yesterday before Judge
Garfield PANCOAST in police court on a charge of perjury.
   It was alleged that when HADLEY took out a marriage license in Camden last
month to marry Miss Annie JACINA, 18 years old, of 52 Greenpoint avenue,
Brooklyn, he was already married and had a three-year-old son.
   At the hearing today, Miss JACINA said she soon is to become a mother and
that HADLEY would be the father of her baby.
   The letter which figured in the case is alleged to have been written by
HADLEY to another sweetheart Miss Sally PRITCHETT.
   The letter was sent to the house at 671 Manhattan avenue, Brooklyn, where
it is alleged, Miss PRITCHETT was living. The message had been dispatched from
Wayne, N.J., where HADLEY was arrested last week.
   Apparently the person for whom it was intended was not at the Brooklyn
address, which is said to be a boarding house, for the letter was re-addressed
to the home of Miss JACINA’s aunt, Mrs. Mamie SMITH, of 212 Camden, with whom
Miss JACINA had been living since HADLEY’s departure from here in the latter
part of May.
   In the letter, which was headed "Dearest Little Sallie," HADLEY writes that
he took Miss JACINA to Camden for the purpose of "getting rid of her." He told
the person to whom the letter was addressed that he had taken out a marriage
license under the pretense that he intended marrying Miss JACINA. He wrote in
the message, however, that he never really intended marrying her.

12 June 1929
Court Restores Hapless Mate From Observation Ward
   Blindness is a handicap to most of those so afflicted, but to Mrs. John
PERRY it might be said to be an asset. She makes her living playing checkers
with the public in Dreamland, the carnival side show at Surf avenue and West
Eighth street, Coney Island, and seldom does she drop a game.
   Last night the slim fingers and wasted hands moved to and fro over the
specially constructed checkerboard a bit more briskly and interested than they
had for the past ten days. She had won a victory in the morning. The play took
place in Flatbush court, and she and her husband were the pawns.
   "Judge, I am sure John will get work if you will only let him go," she
pleaded with Magistrate RUDICH. "He has searched for months in vain. I help
him all I can, but I only make $15 a week and have to support our baby, whom
we left in Boston."
   Magistrate RUDICH read a report from Kings County Hospital where PERRY had
been sent for observation by Magistrate BRILL after he had acted queerly when
arraigned before her. It said the prisoner was neurotic. While he was in the
observation ward, Mrs. PERRY called Magistrate BRILL over the telephone every
morning and evening asking clemency for her mate. She also bombarded the
magistrate with letters.
   "Well, I’ll take a chance," Magistrate RUDDICH said, after prolonged
questioning the prisoner and his wife, "Sentence suspended."
   Mrs. PERRY could not restrain her feeling when she heard the pronouncement.
She literally "fell on his neck in joy." Clasping him tightly and showering
kisses, she trouped out of the court room with her freed man.

13 June 1929
Mrs. KENNEDY Freed After Medicine "Myth"
   Mrs. Nellie KENNEDY, 48, of 2936 West First street, told Magistrate Charles
HAUBERT in the Coney Island court yesterday after he found her guilty of
public intoxication that all the good judges were dead. But she made a
mistake. For, impressed with her "blarney" the magistrate suspended sentence.
It was her forty-eighth conviction for public intoxication.
   Patrolman Nelson KYLE testified he found Mrs. KENNEDY lying on the sidewalk
at Neptune avenue and East Third street.
   Mrs. KENNEDY was indignant. She said she had taken an overdose of medicine
for a cold which made her so tired she decided to "flop" in her tracks. She
was given permission by the magistrate to corss-examine the policeman.
   "You are an expert on booze, I suppose?" she inquired.
   KYLE replied in the affirmative.
   "Well, then, tell me what was the odor on my breath?"
   "It smelled like anti-freeze stuff that they put in automobiles during cold
weather," was the reply.
   Magistrate HAUBERT found her guilty, whereupon the woman made a plea for
another chance.
   "It won’t do you any good and neither will it do me to lock me up for the
summer," she said. "I have only been out of jail for two days. It’s too bad
all the good judges are dead. There’s one pretty good one left and that’s
Judge EILPERIN. He used to let me go. I have never been before you, Your
Honor, but you look like a pretty good skate."
   "Well, Nellie," said Magistrate HAUBERT, "You have been pretty honest. Of
course that overdose of medicine was a myth, but we will let it go at that.
I’ll give you a chance. Sentence suspended."
   Mrs. KENNEDY expressed her gratitude, and remarked in the corridor that
there is still one really good judge who is not dead.

Chauffeur Says He Gave Plaintiff Lift Without Employer’s Permission
   Riverhead, L. I. June 13.-A suit of $2,500 personal damages brought by
Silvia CERRETA, of 111 Cooper street, Brooklyn, against Sherman B. JOOST, Wall
street broker and Mayor of Quogue, L. I., was dismissed by County Judge George
H. FURMAN yesterday.
   CERRETA had been given a lift in one of JOOST’s automobiles, driven by the
JOOST chauffeur Martin FINLAY, April 4, 1928. The automobile hit a tree on the
Montauk highway near Bay Shore and CERRETA suffered some bad cuts and bruises.
But FINLAY testified today that he had no right giving ride in one of the
JOOST cars without the permission of Mr. JOOST, and that he did not have such
permission when he offered CERRETA the ride. On this ground the judge
dismissed the case.

Accused as Suspect in Robbery of Saratoga Avenue Store
   Abraham GLASS, 18, of 381 Powell street, who was arrested last night by
Detective CALLAHAN in connection with the burglary of a clothing store at 364
Saratoga avenue on May 1, is scheduled for a hearing on the charge of burglary
in New Jersey avenue court today.
   Police captured two men involved in the burglary on the night it occurred,
but a third man escaped. Detective CALLAHAN today positively identified GLASS
as the third man. GLASS denied all knowledge of the crime.

Joseph KOHL Accused in Row With John WALLNER
   Joseph KOHL, nineteen years old, of 1658 Putnam avenue, Ridgewood, was held
in $1,000 bail for the Queens Grand Jury in Ridgewood Court yesterday on a
charge of felonious assault.
   On June 1, it is alleged KOHL stabbed John WALLNER, thirty-three years old
of 173 Troutman street, at KOHL’S home where WALLNER used to live. WALLNER and
KOHL had quarreled over money matters.

Man Denies Marriage, Asserts Rings Shown Were Stolen
   Mrs. Adrienne FERRAND of the Allerton House, Manhattan, yesterday applied
to Justice Norman S. DIKE in the Queens Supreme Court, Jamaica, for a
separation from Paul Alexander FERRAND, a fur appraiser living at 103 West
Fortieth street, and also $35 a week alimony. FERRAND said that he had worked
for eight months with the Famous Players of Astoria as a movie extra.
   Mrs. FERRAND alleged that about Aug. 23, 1928, after FERRAND had said a
ceremonial marriage was not necessary in this State, she began living in
Jackson Heights with him as his wife. The common-law marriage, she said,
lasted until Dec. 20, 1928 when the fur appraiser deserted her. In court she
showed two diamond rings and a wedding band which she asserted were given her
by FERRAND during their period together.
   FERRAND and his attorney, Lewis J. FEINSTEIN, attempted to prove that the
common-law marriage never existed. FERRAND denied that he had lived with the
woman and that he had given her the three rings. The appraiser alleged that
the rings together with some legal documents were stolen from his Staten
Island bungalow during a visit by Mrs. FERRAND. Decision was reserved by the

Vincenzo SANTANGELO Said to Have Pumped Three Bullets Into Patrolman
   The case of felonious assault against Vincenzo SANTANGELO, 34, of 1162
Sixty-sixth street, who is accused of firing three bullets into the body of
Patrolman Thomas P. FITZGERALD, now attached to the Hack Bureau of the Police
Department, was adjourned until tomorrow by Magistrate HAUBERT in Coney Island
   FITZGERALD, a patrolman attached to the Bath Beach station, on June 29,
1928, testified that he was summoned by a brother-in-law of STANTANGELO to the
latter’s home, which was then at 92 Bay Eleventh street, to arrest the man. As
he entered the house, FITZGERALD stated, SANTANGELO drew aside and emptied a
revolver at him, three bullets entering his chest.
   "Didn’t you tell the assistant district attorney who took your statement at
the hospital that you did not see the man who shot you and that you would not
be able to identify him?" asked the attorney for SANTANGELO.
   FITZGERALD replied that he was hovering between life and death at the time
and did not remember.
   The lawyer then asked for time to produce a copy of the statement, which
was granted.

14 June 1929
"Too Bad," Says Judge BRILL of Case of Woman of 65
   A pathetic story, which in many details resembled "Over the Hill", was
unfolded before Magistrate Jeanette C. BRILL in the Gates avenue police court
yesterday afternoon.
   Mrs. Anna GERSTENFELD, 65 years old, sat in a front seat and heard two of
her sons refuse to take her into their homes.
   Her face, lined with wrinkles and worn-looking, her frail trembling body
was bent from the effects of paralysis, which developed two years ago from the
shock she suffered when her husband died. Now and then she shook her head
despondently. She looked at one of her boys and then at the other, and then
she shook her head.
   The aged woman had been living with her son, Herman, and his young wife at
1371 St. Johns place. The couple were married about a year ago.
   Mrs. GERSTENFELD charged that her daughter-in-law, Mrs. Edith GERSTENFELD,
threw her off a chair and kicked her. The younger Mrs. GERSTENFELD denied that
charge and accused her husband’s brother, Moe GERSTENFELD, of having kicked
her during a quarrel as to who should care for the mother.
   "I have my mother all day. I take her around in my automobile,"  said Moe,
"but I can’t keep her at night. It is up to my brother here to do that."
   "I have been keeping her at night since I was married a year ago,"
interrupted Herman. "I can’t go on doing it. Why, I am giving up my young life
in doing that."
   "There are two daughters," said Mrs. Edith GERSTENFELD. "Why don’t they
take care of their mother? My husband is willing to contribute $5 a week, the
same his brother does, for her care."
   "Well, it’s too bad," commented Magistrate BRILL. "Too bad. Do you folks
ever think that some day you are going to be old like your mother and
mother-in-law is this afternoon? It is the old story, the same pitiful,
pathetic tale of not being wanted because you are too old. Well just remember,
you might live to be too old and you might have children and your children
might act the same, well, what is the good?"
   Magistrate BRILL enlisted the aid of Probation Officer Harry BERNHARD.
Judge BRILL said she would seek the aid of several women’s organizations.
Plans are being made to have Mrs. GERSTENFELD admitted to the Jewish Home for
Incurables at Rutland road and Utica avenue.

15 June 1929
Bag of Money Is Kept As Evidence Against Man Serving Ten Years
   Ten years from now a small cloth bag in the archives of the Fifth Precinct
of the Nassau County police at Valley Stream likely will reveal a large roll
of paper money, which by that time may appear freakish because of dimensions.
   Rummaging through articles accumulated in the police station for several
years attaches of the precinct unearthed the bag, marked "evidence." It was
not opened, but the clerk learned it contained bills and silver pieces. The
money had been taken from a thief arrested in Springfield months ago. The same
man is charged with robbing a store in Valley Stream.
   The bag of money will be used as evidence when he is brought to Valley
Stream after having served ten years in Sing Sing for the crime in

All Plead Guilty to Robbing House in Jackson Heights on April 29
   Reformatory and workhouse terms were dispensed by Judge Frank F. ADEL in
Queens County Court yesterday to five boys who pleaded guilty to an indictment
charging them with burglary.
Hyman ABADINSKY, 18, of 30-48 Eighty-fifth street, Jackson Heights, and
Paul SEIDMAN, 18, of 684 Belmont avenue, Brooklyn, 
	were sent to the workhouse for ninety days. 
Murray KRAVITZ, 18, of 621 Stone avenue; 
Alexander FRIEDMAN, 18, of 375 Hinsdale street, and 
Frank SHIEKO, 16, of 509 Blake avenue, all of Brooklyn,
	were sentenced to an indefinite period in the State Reformatory at Elmira.
   The boys were arrested on April 29 in the act of burglarizing the apartment
of Gertrude M. FENTZKE, at 34-49 Eighty-eighth street, Jackson Heights.

20 June 1929
He Left Her for First Love, She Alleges
   Charged with bigamy, Frank HAUSER, 46, of 1416 Cross Bay road, Broad
Channel, was found guilty and held for the Grand Jury in $2,500 bail when
arraigned yesterday morning before Judge Lawrence GRESSER in the Far Rockaway
court. He was arraigned on complaint of his wife Helen.
   According to the police, HAUSER, who is a salesman, deserted his first
wife, Sara, seven years ago, leaving her with five children in Philadelphia.
Recently it is said, he left his second wife. After he departed she put the
police on his track, who discovered that he had returned to his first wife.

   Magistrate BLANCHFIELD, in the Coney Island court yesterday, dismissed a
charge of secreting mortgaged property against Paul MOLINARI, 33 years old,
who is in the hardware business at 138 Avenue T. The complaint was made by
Barclay A. FARENGA, of 1743 Seventy-fourth street, who is a representative of
the Manufacturers Finance Corporation, which holds a chattel mortgage on an
automobile truck purchased by MOLINARI.

21 June 1929
Armenian Tells Justice DIKE How Mate Grieved Over Massacre in Turkey
   A seven-year search for his wife by Karekin DEVEJIAN, living at 226 Tenth
street, College Point, ended yesterday before Justice N. S. DIKE in the Queens
Supreme Court, Jamaica, when he asked that his marriage be dissolved. Justice
DIKE ordered DEVEJIAN to advertise in newspapers of his loss until Sept. 4
when the court would grant him a hearing.
   DEVEJIAN says that his investigation has taken him through a half-dozen
States. When Mrs. Navert DEVEJIAN, his wife, lost her family during a massacre
in Turkey, an uncle of the twenty-one year old youth paid her ship fare to
this country. On Feb 27, 1921, two weeks after she met the nephew, Karekin,
the two were married in Boston.
   "We lived together until the morning of Sept 5, 1922." DEVEJIAN told
Justice DIKE. "During all that time Navert had mourned the loss of her family.
I often tried to stop her from crying, but she always said; "I’m going to end
it all."
   DEVEJIAN said that he was communicated with many of his friends and
advertised for the past six years in Armenian newspapers in an effort to find
his bride.

22 June 1929
George SCHREINER and John COLEMAN To Be Sentenced Friday
George SCHREINER, 20 years old, a jockey, of 1 Hitchcock place, Floral Park, and 
John COLEMAN, 18, of 103-13 Springfield boulevard, Queens Village,
pleaded guilty in Queens County Court before Judge Frank F. ADEL yesterday ,
to a charge of assaulting a seventeen year old girl.
   Their plea of guilty was made during the deliberations of their case by a
jury. The trial lasted two days. The youths were charged with assault in the
first degree but were permitted to enter a plea of guilty to assault in the
   They will be sentenced on June 28. The attack occurred on April 8 in an
isolated section of Queens at Little Neck road, near Jericho turnpike,
Creedmore. The two youths were taking the girl home from a party in 
Greenwich Village.

Marriage to Italian Deprives Her of Original Rights
   Though Mrs. Priscilla GIGLIANI, 44 years old, of 225-15 Sheffield avenue,
Springfield, was born in Brooklyn and spent the greater portion of her life in
this country, she is not a citizen. Yesterday Justice Edward RIEGELMANN in
Queens Supreme Court denied her application for naturalization on the ground
that she hasn’t resided in this country the length of time prescribed by law.
   It appears that Mrs. GIGLIANI married an Italian subject in California on
June 3, 1914. According to the laws in force then, she assumed the nationality
of her spouse. They went to Italy to live. In October 1927, the couple sailed
for this country after having spent a number of years in Naples, and Mrs.
GIGLIANI filed her application for citizenship. She entered the country on a
visitor’s passport.
   However the law specifies that an alien must have at least five years
continued residence before citizenship, and as Mrs. GIGLIANI, under the law is
a foreigner, she must wait three years longer before obtaining citizenship in
the country in which she was born and raised. Congress enacted a law in
September 1922 whereby a citizen of the United States retains her citizenship
though she might marry an alien. Inasmuch as Mrs. GIGLIANI contracted her
marriage prior to the passage of that law, she does not benefit by it.
   Justice RIEGELMANN approved the applications of 286 aliens for
naturalization and denied those of five, including that of Mrs. GIGLIANI.

Flora DYER Is Sued by Valley Stream Innkeeper After Altercation
   As a result of an argument several weeks ago in an alleged speakeasy across
the street from the Valley Stream police station, Flora DYER, operative of
District Attorney Edward’s office, is languishing in the county jail today
because Bill BARNES, Lynbrook inn proprietor, has instituted a suit for
$25,000 against her as the cause of his allegedly illegal arrest.
   BARNES met Miss DYER a few days after she had done her best to have him
convicted in the county court on the charge of maintaining a public nuisance
at his Blossom Heath Inn. The trial resulted in a disagreement of the jury.
   The meeting resulted in a flare-up between them and in Barnes’s arrest on a
complaint of disorderly conduct preferred by the woman. Last Friday night the
charge was dismissed when Assistant District Attorney Alfred DEMEO withdraw
from the case and when Miss DYER failed to appear for the fourth time.
   BARNES and his attorney, Edward E. EDSTROM of Valley Stream, said then that
they would sue the woman for illegal arrest. She was not located until
yesterday morning when a writ of attachment was served upon her. Miss DYER was
not working for the District Attorney’s office when the altercation took

   Supreme Court Justice STRONG today granted $25 weekly alimony and $170
counsel fees to Mrs. Gertrude V. DOBLER, of 497 Lincoln avenue, pending trial
of a suit for separation brought by Edward Henry DOBLER, a traffic policeman.
Mrs. DOBLER has instituted a counter suit.

24 June 1929
Easy Money Entices Boy, 17, Toward Prison Cell
   He helped gather the harvests in fields from Maine to California and was happy 
and satisfied with the remuneration from his toil, but then he drifted into New York, 
got the desire for "easy" money and now at the age of seventeen, he is on his way to 
   Yet the situation might have been worse for William BROWNESTONE, an orphan, but for 
the interest taken in him today by County Judge Franklin TAYLOR and Assistant District 
Attorney John J. KEAN.
   BROWNESTONE, with Peter CERAFICI, 17, of 747 East Eighty-seventh street, was called 
for trial today by Assistant District Attorney KEAN on a charge of robbery in the first 
degree. It was alleged against them that with a revolver as a weapon, they had robbed 
Louis GOLDSTEIN of $18 in his store at 1030 Forty-sixth street. Both boys admitted their 
   It was first brought out that the gun was a useless one that BROWNESTONE had found. 
Judge TAYLOR then learned from BROWNESTONE his story. At the age of twelve BROWNESTONE 
was left an orphan. He left his home town, Bayonne, N.J., to find work and a home on a 
farm. From section to section he wandered, according to the seasons, working all the 
time on the harvesting machines, because he liked that work. Last winter he came to New York, 
determined to learn the electrician's trade. He became an electrician's apprentice. With 
neither parents nor friends, he made what acquaintance an orphan boy of seventeen could 
make in a big city. These friends had not been the hardworking boy BROWNESTONE had been, 
and they had no desire to be.
   Then came the finding of the revolver and with this find came the desire for "easy" 
money. From GOLDSTEIN the eighteen dollars were taken and then followed the arrest of 
   Today Judge TAYLOR with the consent of Assistant District Attorney KEAN, accepted 
from BROWNESTONE a plea to robbery in the third degree and from CERAFICI a plea to assault 
in the second degree. Under this plea, Judge TAYLOR can send both defendants to Elmira, 
where they can learn a trade.
   "A homeless orphan at the age of twelve," said Judge TAYLOR, "has a hard and difficult 
lot. Boys who come safely through such a condition usually make history. This boy proved 
the worth in him by working for five years in the harvest fields. I will not let his 
life be wrecked through his first fall. I will help all I can. In this case justice 
cries out for mercy."

25 June 1929
Gets Court’s Permission to Accept $2,500
   Mrs. Elka HYMAN, widow of Jacob HYMAN, of 101-36 110th street, Richmond
Hill, has asked Surrogate Daniel NOBLE of Queens County for permission to
compromise for $2,500 an action started by her against Morris BAUM and Joseph
BARTOLIN, both of Brooklyn. The court granted her request.
   While walking across Jerome avenue near 109th street, Richmond Hill, on
Oct. 27, last year, HYMAN was struck and run over by a machine owned and
operated by the two Brooklyn men. Mrs. HYMAN immediately started suit for
personal damages.

Charles BARAU Accused of Arson, Robbery and Narcotic Conspiracy
   Charles BARAU, 25 years old, of 60 East 103rd street, Manhattan, was held
in $4,500 bail by Magistrate Frederick HUGHES in New Jersey avenue court today
for a hearing on July 9 on charges of robbery, arson and conspiracy.
   Mohammed FAZIL, watchman for the New Lots Sash and Door Company of 582 New
Lots avenue, in his complaint charges that BARAU went to the office of the
firm on the night of June 8, 1929, knocked him out, took $15 from his pockets
and set fire to lumber in the company’s yard. Bail was set at $2,000 each on
the arson and robbery charges.
   The third complaint is by Sultan MOHAMMED, a janitor of 2740 Pitkin avenue,
who claims that BARAU planted narcotics in his home, notified the police and
caused MOHAMMED to be arrested on charges of possession. The case against
Sultan MOHAMMED was thrown out by the Grand Jury.
   At the time of the original hearing, Sultan MOHAMMED testified that he and
BARAU were leaders of opposing Moslem factions in New York and gave that as
BARAU’s reason for causing his arrest.

Each Blames Other as Attacker - He is Held in Bail
   The playing of a piano in the apartment above him almost drove him mad,
Samuel MAHLER, 33, an ex-pugilist, living at 2100 Beekman place, told
Magistrate HAUBERT in Flatbush court today.
   MAHLER had been haled to court by Miss Lynette GOTTLIEB, a music teacher in
the Damrosch School of Music, a fashionable Flatbush institution. Miss
GOTTLIEB charged that MAHLER pushed in the door of her apartment, punched and
then kicked her.
   She averred that as a result of this manhandling she had a number of black
and blue marks. She testified further that MAHLER represented himself as being
a policeman when he forced entrance to her apartment. Her screams brought her
mother and sister into the room and MAHLER fled.
   MAHLER took the stand and denied all this. He charged that on the night in
question his wife was seriously ill. The piano upstairs had been ripping off
merry tunes for some time. He said he called Miss GOTTLIEB on the telephone
and asked her to stop playing.
   She hung up, he said. Then he induced the superintendent to call her, he
said, but she only played longer and louder. In desperation he called the
police, who told him they had no jurisdiction. Finally, he said, he went
upstairs to ask Miss GOTTLEIB to desist.
   "Instead of my striking her, she hit me." he declared.
   The ex-pugilist further stated that this piano playing began every night at
11:30 and kept on until the early hours of the morning. Often Miss GOTTLEIB
and her pupils would keep on playing the same tunes over and over. He claimed
that the effect was maddening. Not only did the music teacher play her  piano
louder on the night in question, but it sounded as if four or five other
people began to play a tattoo on the floor with their feet.
   Toward the close of the hearing Miss GOTTLEIB and MAHLER became
acrimonious. At one point Magistrate HAUBERT admonished MAHLER, saying "Please
don’t argue; you’re not in the ring. And anyhow I am the referee."
   Magistrate HAUBERT ordered the ex-pugilist held for special sessions under
two hundred dollars bail.

29 June 1929
   Judge Paroles Patrolman in Larceny Case
  Charged with petty larceny, Patrolman John B.MOLINI, of the Classon
avenue police station, was taken to Gates avenue court to-day before
Magistrate BLANCHFIELD and paroled in the custody of his attorney,
Harold L. TURK, for examination July 8.
  MOLINI, who is 28 years old has been on the police force for five
and a half years and lives at 1044 Forty-first street. He was arrested
this morning at the Classon avenue station house by detectives
Joseph REILLY and John BRENNAN, also of the Classon avenue
station. Two affidavits were produced in court, one filed by Detective
Joseph REILLY and the other by Charles TILGNER, an assistant
engineer on the Board of Education.
  The affidavit filed by REILLY charges that on July 10, he was passing
by the premises of 55 Fort Greene place when he noticed a crowd
gathered in front of that address. He investigated and charges that
he found MOLINI standing on the running board of a truck operated
by a negro. The truck, REILLY says, was loaded down with steam
radiators and piping valued at about $50, which had been taken from
the premises of 55 Fort Greene place. MOLINI, REILLY says, told him
that he had permission to carry the material from the house and drove
  When the loss of the radiators and piping became known it was
revealed that the premises at 55 Fort Greene place is condemned
property and is to be the site of the new Brookltn Technical High
School. It was reported to Inspector David KANE, of the 13th
Inspection District, and an investigation was conducted which
resulted in the arrest of MOLINI.

1 July 1929
Little Mother Took Abuse But Scorned Dollar Budget
Mary PAWLASKI Appeals to Police - Court Holds Father
"Last Thursday while I was scrubbing the floor he came home drunk 
and shoved six dollars in my hand.
'That's to run the house a week,' he said, 'and don't spend more 
than a dollar a day.'
	Take your money back; do you think I can keep house on 
six dollars a week?  I said.  And then he picked up a broom and beat me"
	It was Mary PAWLASKI, "the little mother of Greenpoint," speaking.  Mary 
knows her housekeeping budge.  She is sixteen and she knows almost as 
much about taking care of a house and keeping children clothed and fed 
as the average flapper knows about john GILBERT'S taste in pocket 
	She ought to know, for she's been scrubbing the floors and cleaning the 
pots and pans and tending a brood of brothers and sisters ranging from 3 
to 11 years old in the house at 92 Guernsey street ever since her mother 
died four months ago.
	Magistrate Harry Howard DALE would never have heard of Mary if it hadn't 
been for papa who it seems, took to drink after his wife died.  That 
made it hard. 
	"I was afraid he'd die on some of that poison."  Mary said.  "I'd tell 
him he shouldn't get drunk.  That would make him mad, so he'd beat me 
with a strap.  I didn't mind so much, at first.  I thought he'd quit 
drinking pretty soon and then everything would be all right.
 "Father works in a chemical plant in Long Island City.  He gets about 
$28 a week.  Last Thursday he came home drunk, and heat me when I told 
him six dollars would never run the house a week."
	The girl then fled to Greenpoint station house and asked Lieut. John 
SHATTUCK for protection.  Patrolman john O'BRIEN returned with Mary and 
arrested the father, Stanley, 43, on a charge of assault.
	Magistrate DALE held him in $1,000 bail for examination Wednesday in 
Bridge Plaza court.
	Children's Society agents are investigating the case.  
Mary is sure that when they finish their investigation they'll agree 
with her that you can't run a house like that on six dollars a week.

2 July 1929
Boy Flees Court as Mother Wins Custody From Father
Judge to Hold Parents Until Youth Turns Up Again
	Rather than go back to his mother as directed by Supreme Court Justice 
JOHNSTON to-day, fourteen year old David WEXLER fled from the courtroom 
to destinations unknown and has not been located as yet.
	David, who has been living with his father, Irving, at 829 Freeman 
street, the Bronx, was directed to go back to his mother, Sophie, of 266 
Floyd street, when she produced a writ of habeas corpus asking that her 
husband given her the custody of their child.
	The WEXLERS were separated several years ago and on May 23, WEXLER, 
raided the home of Mrs. WEXLER, and took the boy David to his home.  
WEXLER is bringing divorce action against Mrs. WEXLER.
	Judge JOHNSTON decided that Mrs. WEXLER has an honest woman and 
directed David to return to her.
	As the courtroom audience filed through the doors at the finish of the 
case David sped through the crowd and was soon lost to view.  Edward J. 
REILLY, counsel for Mrs. WEXLER, asked that the court hold WEXLER in 
contempt, charging that he had directed the boy to run away.  The judge 
placed WEXLER in the custody of Deputy Sheriff James SHORTELL until the 
boy is found.

3 July 1929
Flushing Physician Must Pay Alimony
Dr. Liston PAINE to Give Wife $200 a Month
	Dr. Liston PAINE, of 223 Sanford avenue, Flushing, must pay his wife 
$200 a month alimony, and $150 counsel fee, pending trial of her action 
for separation by a ruling by Justice DIKE in the queens Supreme Court, 
Jamaica..  The physician is well known in Whitestone and Flushing.
	Mrs. PAINE said her husband has treated her cruelly for years.  The 
couple were married March 22, 1916, and have two children.  Dr. PAINE 
said that he left his wife only when she kept nagging for keeping late 
hours.  He declared that his practice caused him to remain away from 
home for many hours during day and night.

5 July 1929
Man With Rifle Found On Roof After Woman Is Wounded
Fred FERGENTI, 26, of 324 Hicks street, pleaded not guilty to a charge 
of felonious assault and also to a charge of violating the Sullivan law, 
by possession of a rifle, before Magistrate MAGUIRE in Adams Street 
Court to-day.  He was held in $1,500 bail for the grand jury.
	The arrest of FERGENTI was made after Mrs. Tilor SANCHEZ of 63 Columbia 
place reported to the police that she was shot in the leg while hanging 
up clothes.  Police reported that they found FERGENTI on the roof of a 
building nearby with the rifle.

Herman FISCHER Arrested 20 Times In 16 Years; Spent 7 In Jail
	Herman FISCHER, 48, of 380 Coney Island avenue, was found guilty of 
disorderly conduct and sentenced to five months and 29 days in workhouse 
to-day by Magistrate SABBATINO, in the Flatbush court.
	FISCHER, arrested last night while jostling passengers at the Prospect 
Park station of the Brighton line, has been arrested twenty time in 
sixteen years and convicted thirteen times.  His present prison sentence 
will give him a record of 2,489 days, almost seven years, in jail since 1913.

6 July 1929
First Mate Says Successor Promised to Adopt Boy
Supreme Court Justice HUMPHREY to-day dismissed the suit of Mrs. Helen 
A. MCNAMARA, wife of Dr. Lester L. MCNAMARA, a dentist, of 29 Macon 
street, against her former husband, Lester W. HODES, of San Francisco 
Cal., for $2,400, alleged to have been spent in supporting their child, 
Frederick, 13.
In his answer to the suite, HODES said it was his understanding, after a 
conference with MCNAMARA three years ago, that McNAMARA was to adopt the 
boy.  That has not been done, however, and Mrs. MCNAMARA, claimed she 
had to borrow $2,400 from her present husband to pay the boy's keep.

Detectives Seek Alleged First Husband - Wife's Hearing set for July 10
Mrs. Sabina CEGIELSKI, 22, of 250 East 124th street, Manhattan, was held 
in $1,000 bail on a charge of bigamy when arraigned to-day before 
Magistrate WALSH in Adams Street Court.  Magistrate WALSH fixed July 10 
for the hearing.
Anthony BOBECK, dancing instructor, of 158 East 103d street, Manhattan, 
was the complaining witness.  He said he married her on May 20, 1925, in 
the Kings County Supreme Court, Justice FAWETT performing the ceremony.
At that time, BOBECK said, she was married to Edward SLIPKOWSKI, having 
married him Dec 27, 1924.  SLIPKOWSKI is said to be living in Suffield, 
Conn.  Detectives CAREY and MCCARTHY of the Butler street station, who 
arrested the woman, are trying to reach him, to have him brought here 
for the trial.  The detectives said CEGIELSKI is the Woman's maiden name.

9 July 1929
Rival Wives Nod Approval as Man Is Held for Examination
 Frank MERRILL, 54, and the father of sixteen children, twelve of whom 
are living, watched his two wives nod emphatic approval to-day as 
Magistrate Frederick HUGHES held him in $2,500 bail for examination July 
19 on charge of bigamy.
 For three years, according to Detective William ENRIGHT, of Bath Beach 
station, MERRILL has been missing from 1319 St. Johns place, the home of 
his wife, Bridget QUINN MERRILL, whom he married in October, 1892, it is 
 Police received a complaint from Mrs. Anna HORN MERRILL, at 241 Highlawn 
avenue, on Saturday, that her husband had stolen her automobile.  
Investigation disclosed that the husband one had lived at the St. Johns 
place address.  Detectives returned to Highlawn avenue, where they found 
MERRILL and placed him under arrest.
 The second Mrs. MERRILL was shocked at the bigamy charge.  They were 
married, she said, on Dec 31, of last year.  After recovering from her 
first shock, Mrs. Merrill, second, decided to rally to the aid of the 
first wife in the prosecution of MERRILL.  Both women are middle aged.
 "I thought the first Mrs. MERRILL was dead," was all that MERRILL would 
say when questioned by police.
 Before Magistrate HUGHES, Mrs. Bridget MERRILL declared she had borne 
him sixteen children, twelve of whom are alive.  MERRILL is a 
housepainter and decorator by trade, he said.
 He asked the court to appoint a lawyer for him and was sent to Raymond 
Street Jail in default of bail.
 The two wives nodded and chatted throughout the proceedings.  They left 
the courtroom arm in arm.

Doctor Must Serve Year - Infant Left on Step
 Three persons, recently convicted of having willfully permitted the life 
and health of a child to be endangered, were sentenced to jail terms of 
one year by Judge Lewis J. SMITH today in Nassau County Court at 
Mineola.  Judge SMITH, however, suspended execution of sentence in two 
of the case, placing the two defendants, a man and women, on probation 
for a period of two years.
 The third defendant, Dr. Henry PFLUG, of 855 Fresh Pond road, Ridgewood, 
L.I., will have to serve his one-year term in Westchester County 
penitentiary.  The man and woman place on probation are Valentine ZAHN, 
PFLUG's chauffeur, and Mrs. Anna FITZGERALD, proprietress of the Shelton 
Arms, Jamaica, L.I.
 It is charged that on April 14, three days after a baby had been born to 
Mrs. Tessie NOONAN, a widow, of 2529 Madison avenue, Ridgewood, L.I., Dr 
PFLUG, ZAHN and Mrs. FITZGERALD took the child to the home of Mrs. 
FITZGERALD's sister, Mrs. Ann ZUPER, at Valley Stream, L.I.  If is 
alleged the baby was wrapped in a blanket and place on the doorstep of 
Mrs. ZUPER's home by PFLUG, ZAHN and Mrs. FITZGERALD, who then went away 
without notifying Mrs. ZUPER that they had left the child.
 The baby was discovered a little later in the day.  The baby is said to 
be in good health.  PFLUG was a guest at the Shelton ARMS on April 14.

Arraigned before Judge J. THORP in Rockville Centre Municipal Court on a 
charge of disorderly conduct, John BOHN, 32, a steeplejack, was held for 
trial to-night.  When Patrolman Al BUTTNER responded to a call near 
BOHN's home he said he found the steeplejack using indecent language and 
when he refused to go home, place him under arrest.

Justice as Coroner Unready to Return Verdict
 Inquest into the death of Wilmer STULTZ, stunt aviator, which started 
yesterday before Justice of the Peace HALLOCK, sitting as coroner at 
Westbury, L.I., will be continued in the near future.  It was learned 
to-day, Justice HALLOCK said he was unwilling to render a verdict until 
he had an opportunity to examine further witnesses.
 With STULTZ when he crashed were Edward HARWOOD and Earnest CASTALUCCI, 
both of whom were killed, the pilot dying in the Nassau Hospital.
 In the inquests into the deaths of Andrew GOLDSMITH, who crashed while 
flying with Francis PHILLIPS, son of the late John M. PHILLIPS, Queens 
County Sewer Pipe King, and Jack ASHCRAFT, who with Viola GENTRY, was 
seeking a refueling endurance.  Justice HALLOCK decided that the deaths 
were due to unavoidable accidents.

Didn’t Know What to Do,- She Sobs to Police
Los Angeles, July 9 (UP) - Because she was "ashamed to face the milkman" 
to whom she owed a three-week bill, Mrs. Josephine VALENTE, 19, burned 
her eight-month-old son, Dominick, to death in his go-cart, she 
confessed to police.
 Mrs. VALENTE, held to-day on a murder charge, declared her husband, 
Sabintino, 21, refused to give her money for the baby’s milk.
"I knew of nothing else to do," she sobbed to police.
 The young mother said she often tried to help by going to work but could 
not find a job.
"And I couldn’t afford to put our boy in a nursery," she explained.
 "I new the milkman would leave us no milk, "Mrs. VALENTE related.  "And 
I got to wondering what I would do.  So I got a match and threw it into 
the baby’s carriage after I put him to sleep in it.  Then I walked 
around to the front of the house to talked with my mother-in-law until 
somebody shouted fire.  We ran to the go-cart, but when we got there, 
Dominick was dead."
 VALENTE, employed a motion picture studio, insisted he had given his 
wife $9 for groceries only yesterday morning.
"Do you need any money?" he asked his wife as she was led to her cell.
"Non of yours," she replied.
 Detective Lieutenant Fran CONDAFFER said a $375 insurance policy on the 
baby’s life was issued recently.
 The VALENTEs came to Los Angeles from New York two years ago.

10 July 1929
Only Joy After 37 Wedded Years Is to Sit On Stoop
By Eleanor MEADE
	Bearing sixteen children has meant little more than a vicious circle 
from which there has been no escape to Mrs. Bridget QUINN MERRILL, 1319 
St. Johns place. It is also one of the few known obstacles to divorce.
	The legend of this mother of nine boys and seven girls has run since 
1892. Yesterday it wound up in the old familiar triangle. The husband, 
Frank G. MERRILL, was haled before Magistrate Frederick HUGHES and held 
for examination July 19 on a charge of bigamy.
	Mrs. MERRILL hopes the legend has run its course. There is happiness 
after thirty-seven years of the life she has known merely to sit 
evenings on the stone steps of the apartment at the St. John’s place 
address, which is identical with every other house for blocks.
	IT has been Mrs. MERRILL’s experience that the more children there are, 
the less are the possibilities of a divorce. She would have left MR. 
MERRILL early in their married live, she says. But there was a boy. 
Perhaps she had better wait until she had her strength. But that 
strength soon had to be conserved for the birth of the second little 
MERRILL. And then there were two. In the days of the late ‘90’s women 
couldn’t pick up work anywhere, much less find something sufficiently 
remunerative to support three.
	The children kept coming. And with each child Mrs. MERRILL went further 
and further from the possibility of leaving her husband and further and 
further away from the possibility of finding any joy in having them.
	"The children weren’t any more to him than the dirt on his shoes," she 
says. "But I couldn’t leave him because of them and because I couldn’t 
there were more and more children."
Mrs. MERRILL refers to him as "that thing."
	Two days ago Mrs. MERRILL thought as she has for the last four years 
"that ‘that thing’ isn’t in the land of the living any longer," she 
thought her husband was dead.
	In 1925 he defaulted on a separate support suit won by Mrs. MERRILL. She 
hasn’t seen him since, until she saw him in court yesterday.
	Mrs. MERRILL lives with her sister and brother-in-law. Of her sixteen 
children only five are living. Three of them are married. Two of them 
lived with her and her sister and brother-in-law. She is dependent on 
them. The two children "pay their board." Her only recreation is to sit 
evening on the stone steps watching the hundreds of kids in that 
well-populated neighborhood swarm and play and squabble over the short 
That is all
	The legend of a mother of sixteen might have unfolded into the deeper, 
more closely human story that must live somewhere in Mrs. MERRILL’s mind 
and heart. But it was interrupted almost in its beginning by the arrival 
of Mrs. MERRILL’s sister and brother-in-law.

Caught in Flushing as Five Time Offender
Henry DODD, 32, a negro who claims Atlanta, Ga., as his home although 
for the past nine years the penal institutions of New York have been his 
temporary habitations, faces life imprisonment to-day when he appears in 
Flushing Court to answer charges of attempted burglary.
 DODD was caught last night by Patrolman WARHAM, of the Newtown precinct, 
as he was opening a window of the apartment house at 6262 Saunders 
street, Elmhurst. Since 1920 DODD, according to police, has been 
convicted four times of burglary and has served most of that time in 

 Two prospective jurors were excused, on account of personal prejudices, 
to-day from sitting in the trial of Lambert SCHMIDT, of 1101 Ocean 
parkway, former president of the now -defunct Kensington Bank, which 
closed its doors late in 1927. SCHMIDT is on trial in County Court, on 
one of three misdemeanor indictments charging he accepted a bonus for 
procuring a loan.
 One of the two jurors was excused because he considered the word of a 
convict worthless. The other was excused because he said he is 
prejudiced against bank officials owing to "too many bank failures 

Wife Gives Details of Previous Marriage
 Charged with bigamy, William J. SAWYER, 31 years old, a taxicab 
chauffeur, of 1930 Putnam avenue, Ridgewood, waived examination in the 
Ridgewood Magistrates Courts to-day and was held in $5,000 bail by 
Magistrate MARVIN for the Queens Grand Jury.
 SAWYER was arrested this morning by Detectives JACOBS, CONNELLY and 
WHIFTON of Glendale station, on the complaint of Mrs. Florence S. 
SAWYER, 19, of the Putnam avenue address, who charges that on Oct 1, 
1928, at the Protestant Episcopal Church of the Holy Cross, Harman 
street and St. Nicholas avenue, she was married to SAWYER, the Rev. 
James WILLIAMS officiating.
 Later, Mrs. SAWYER says, she learned that SAWYER under the name of 
William J. SAWEY, had married, on Nov. 25, 1920, Josephine OVERMOHLE, 28 
years old, of 291 Onderdonk avenue, at St. Barbara’s Roman Catholic 
Church, at Central avenue and Bleecker street, Ridgewood.

12 July 1929
Attorney Says His Client Will Fight Village Fathers' Verdict
After a trial which was labeled by the "star witness," as a "nut party," 
Patrolman Charles TOUWSMA was found guilty of misconduct and dismissed 
from the police force by the Hempstead village board, sitting as a 
police commission, last night.
In rendering the verdict of the village fathers, Mayor W. Taylor 
CHAMBERLIN stated that it was the unanimous opinion of the trustees that 
TOUWSMA was guilty and that he had shown himself unworthy to be a police 
John H. SHULTZE, attorney for the accused patrolman, moved for a stay of 
the judgment on the grounds that the board had no jurisdiction and that 
the trustees were prejudiced because TOUWSMA had haled them into court 
on a writ of certiorari relative to the trial held April 23 when he was 
demoted from the rank of sergeant. He also told the village trustees 
that another writ of certiorari would be sought to set aside the verdict 
of the village board last night.

13 July 1929
Theodore PATRICK, 25, of 419 New Jersey avenue, is under bail of $5,500 
to-day on a charge of bigamy for examination July 24.
He was before Magistrate Benjamin MARVIN in Ridgewood court yesterday on 
complaint of his wife, Hazel, who made an affidavit that she married the 
defendant on June 6, 1926, the Rev. Floyd CORNISH officiating.  Mrs. 
PATRICK learned recently, she said, that her husband went through a 
marriage ceremony with Miss Sophia DEPKOWSKA, at East New York, on Sept 
2, 1923.
Police say PATRICK confessed marrying both women without securing a divorce.

15 July 1929
Brooklyn Manufacturer in Latest Move for Freedom After 1921 Killing
Charles T. DAVIS, wealthy Brooklyn Manufacturer who broke into the news 
recently by sueing from prison to prevent his wife from selling his 
business, is making his second attempt to gain freedom, it was learned 
He has been in confinement since 1921, when he shot and killed Detective 
Joseph BRIDGETTS in his office at 217 Duffield street, in an argument 
about an automobile DAVIS reported stolen. His career since then has 
been marked with alienist examinations, trials, damage actions and 
counter suits.
Two and a half years ago he asked Governor SMITH to exercise executive 
clemency. District Attorney DODD opposed the idea and the Governor 
declined to interpose. The latest attempt is a request to the parole 
board for his release.
A plea of insanity save DAVIS from prison at the time of the murder. He 
produced a long family history of mental derangement and eccentricity. 
Four noted alienists held him insane at the time of the killing. Supreme 
Court Justice Van SIELEN sent him to Matteawan.
Declared sane four years later and tried for the shooting, he was 
sentenced by Supreme Court Justice CARSWELL to spend ten to twenty years 
in Sing Sing for man-slaughter. A few months later he was transferred to 
His wife joined his fight for freedom at that time, charging he was 
being persecuted, but two and a half months ago, when DAVIS sought an 
injunction to restrain her from disposing of the business of DAVIS and 
GECK, surgical instrument manufacturers, she had other views.
She managed the business since her husband’s imprisonment, she said, and 
increase it fivefold. She also took dain?ies to her husband weekly, she 
added, until he told her: "My dear, when I get out of here, I am coming 
home and I’m going to kick you all over the place."

Detective Demoted for Silence in MARLOW Murder Inquiry
Trial of Detective Anthony GRIECO, who was demoted by Police 
Commissioner WHALEN on the charge that he withheld information in 
connection with the killing of Frank MARLOW, Broadway racketeer, for 
forty-eight hours, was delayed this afternoon. The trial had been 
scheduled for 2 o’clock before Commissioner WHALEN himself.
There was no official explanation for the delay. It was asserted that 
GRIECO had engaged Julian CARABBA as his attorney and would ask for an 
GRIECO, a first-grade detective attached to the Empire Boulevard Station 
in Brooklyn, was reduced to the rank of patrolman by Commissioner wHALEN 
when the latter learned that GRIECO had been dinning in the La Tavernele 
restaurant, in Fifty-second street near Seventh avenue, Manhattan, the 
night on which MARIO was taken for the fatal "ride" to Queens.
MARLOW was one of another party in the same restaurant at the time, and 
the charge against GRIECO alleged that he had knowledge or information 
there would be trouble involving MARLOW.
It was alleged GRIECO withheld his information for forty-eight hours 
until he hold Inspector SULLIVAN in Brooklyn of his presence in the 
restaurant. Inspector SULLIVAN sent GRIECO to Manhattan Police 
Headquarters. GRIECO’s demotion and trial were ordered by Mr. WHALEN 
when he learned of the incident.

Mrs Eunice HUFF, 68, of the Hotel St. George, was held in $2,5000 bail 
for the Grand Jury by Magistrate HRISHFIELD when arraigned in Adams 
street court to-day on a charge of grand larceny.
Mrs. HUFF was arrested Friday by Detective Marco STOLFI, of Butler 
street station, on complaint of Mrs. Harriett SUPER, of 303 Vanderbilt 
avenue, who said that she met Mrs. HUFF in a Brooklyn department store 
July 30, 1927, and loaned her $2,500, receiving in return as collateral 
thirty-eight shares of stock of the Paragon Gas and Light Company, Inc.
Some time later, Mrs. SUPER said, whe learned the stock was worthless.
Mrs. HUFF declared that she had given the stock as security for a loan 
of $2,500. She said that stock had come to her as part of her late 
husband’s estate and that she thought it was perfectly good. According 
to detectives, the stick has not been active for twenty-five years.

16 July 1929
Husband Is Habitual Drinker, She Says in Plea For Separation
  Supreme Court Justice RIEGELMANN to-day awarded Mrs. Florence MCGOWAN, 
of 1570 West Second street, Coney Island, $250 a month alimony and $500 
counsel fees, pending trial of her action for separation against her 
husband, Joseph G. MCGOWAN, vice-president of the Maryland Coal Company 
of West Virginia, with offices at 1 Broadway, Manhattan.
  Mrs. MCGOWAN charges her husband with cruelty, and said in her complaint 
that he was an habitual drinker.  At times, when her husband had been 
drinking, she said he struck her and threatened to kill her.  MCGOWAN 
denied all his wife's charges.

17 July 1929
Two Held for Theft
     In the Coney Island court yesterday Thomas DONOVAN, 21 years old of 
2234 Third avenue, Manhattan and Frank MCCARTHY, 22 years old, of 55 
Henry street, were each held by Magistrate HAUBERT in $1,500 bail for 
the Grand Jury on a charge of burglary.
     The two were arrested early last Monday morning it was testified 
for breaking open a newsstand at the West End Terminal of the B. M.T. 
and staling $1.04.  They denied the allegation.

18 July 1929
 R. O. TULLOCH, "Not a Fool, But a Knave," - Says Justice JOHNSTON
Mrs. Gwendolyn Ardel TULLOCH was granted $20 a week alimony and $200 
counsel fees by Supreme Court Justice John B. JOHNSTON to-day, pending 
trial of her separation suit against Reginal O. TULLOCH, former minister.
 TULLOCH, after leaving the ministry, became an insurance broker and now 
is living at 568 Palisade avenue, Yonkers.
 A "relationship of long standing" between her husband and Mrs. Sarah 
SCOTT finally "became so irksome" to Mrs. TULLOCH that she determined on 
a suit, she said.
She declared her husband was once assistant rector at fashionable St. 
Bartholomew’s Church in Manhattan and later answered a call to St. 
Paul’s Episcopal Church in Brownsville, N.Y. While there he was asked by 
the wardens of the church to resign or discontinue his relations with 
Mrs. SCOTT, Mrs. TULLOCH said.
 TULLOCH, in his defense, maintained that his relations with Mrs. SCOTT 
were "purely platonic." A letter was introduced in evidence from TULLOCH 
to his wife in which he admitted he had been acting "like a perfect fool."
"Not a fool, but a knave," was Justice JOHNSTON’s comment when handing 
down the decision.
"I am satisfied he is not ‘the perfect fool’ which he admits, but a 
knave who has prostituted a sacred trust, dishonored his home, abused 
his wife and neglected his children," wrote Justice JOHNSTON.
"His contention that the association with Mrs. SCOTT was ‘purely 
platonic’ is not convincing in view if the fact that in the same 
affidavit he says his alleged actions have been condoned.
"His protestations of affection for, and interest in, his children are 
incredible, particularly when he failed to deny he took his daughter to 
a house in Baltimore at which he lived with Mrs. SCOTT as man and wife.

 "Burning Too Good If You Are Guilty," NOVA Tells REILLY
 "If what is contained in this indictment is the truth, burning at the 
stake would be too good for you," County Judge NOVA declared to-day when 
Edward J. REILLY, 40, a truck driver, of 991 Putnam avenue, was 
arraigned before him on an indictment for first degree assault.
 REILLY is accused of beating Vincent CAMPBELL, three years old, the son 
of REILLY’s common-law wife, Catherine V. CAMPBELL, in the apartment 
they occupied together then at the Putnam avenue address, REILLY pleaded 
not guilty.
 REILLY was held in $25,000 bail, which he could not furnish, for trial 
at a later date, which has not yet been fixed. He was taken to Raymond 
street jail.
 Assistant District Attorney SULLIVAN, who presented the case against 
REILLY to the Grand Jury, told reporters the assault was "one of the 
most heinous crimes I have ever heard of." He told REILLY he was 
fortunate not to be held on a murder charge.
 In the complaint made by Mrs. CAMPBELL in the Magistrate’s court, to 
which she took oath and which is now in the possession of the District 
Attorney, she tells the following story:
 "On June 18, at 991 Putnam avenue, at 2:15 A.M., REILLY came home an 
asked me to go out for beer. Vincent was asleep in his crib at the time. 
Near by another baby, six month old, was asleep. When I returned REILLY 
was standing in the kitchen in a pool of blood, wiping his hands with a 
 "Don’t make a sound or I’ll kill you. I’ve just killed Vincent," said 
REILLY to me.
 "Then I went into the baby’s Vincent room and found the child lying 
naked on the bed. His head covered with bruises, seven of his teeth 
knocked out, and bleeding profusely from the mouth. Doesn’t he look 
nice.’ REILLY said as he came near me.
  She went on:
 "Then he pushed me from the room and said: ‘Didn’t I tell you I’d kill 
him? I hate him.’
 "When we got back to the kitchen, he held me in a chair and called to 
the child to get up out of bed and said to come out and stretch on the 
floor. My baby obeyed and laid on its side.
 ‘Turn over on your back so I can see you suffer. You ".’ he said. Then 
he told his friend, a man by the name of MCNAMARA who happened to be in 
the apartment at the time, to give him a glass of water. He took a 
mouthful and dashed the rest of it on the baby’s face. The baby cried. 
REILLY sat calmly smoking cigarettes and flickering the ashes on the 
child’s body. The child screamed.
 "Shut up," said REILLY as he picked the baby up and held him tightly 
under his arm and taking the gas tube with one hand pressing it against 
the child’s open and bleeding mouth, he said, ‘Turn on the gas, Mac. 
You’ll kill the kid. I’ve killed more than one - in my life."
 "Then he threw the child on the floor, opened a drawer and said: ‘If I 
can get my sharp knife I’ll finish both of them. I won’t swing for this, 
for there’ll be no one to prove it.’
 At that point, the complaint states, Mrs. CAMPBELL managed to escape 
from the room and got a policeman who arrested REILLY.
 The police record seven arrests for REILLY since 1918, including one on 
a charge of homicide. Only two ended in convictions, however. In 1924 he 
was given 30 days in the workhouse for disorderly conduct, and in 1927 
he spent four months in the same house of detention for petty larceny.

19 July 1929
George J. DWYER and Helpmate Accuse One Another of "Whoopee"
Charges of habitual drinking, of neglect, and of extravagances were 
bandied back and forth in conflicting affidavits filed by Mrs. Alice R. 
DWYER and her husband George J. DWYER, before Supreme Court Justice 
RIEGELMANN to-day.  The justice decided in favor of the wife and granted 
her application for $20 a week alimony and $125 counsel fees pending 
trial of her separation suit in the fall.       
  They were married April 9, 1924 and immediately thereafter, says Mrs. 
DWYER, her husband "started drinking heavily and staying out nights."  
Last November, she said, unable to bear it any longer, she went to live 
with her mother, at 85 St. James place.  Her husband went also, on his 
promise of good behavior.
  "But his good behavior turned to sullenness and he wouldn't speak to 
mother or me," said Mrs. DWYER/ "I asked him for more entertainment, 
such as movies and parties."
  Her husband liked the party idea immensely, she added, and soon was 
giving her all the parties she could stand.  Finally he packed up and 
moved to an apartment by himself at 218 Sterling place.
  DWYER, who is a stock salesman, in his affidavit declares his business 
made it necessary for him to stay out, and that at his wife's mother's 
home Mrs. DWYER demanded "more whoopee," He added: "This led to our 
downfall, because it meant much drinking on the part of both of us."

22 July 1929
Held on Charge of Entering C. I. Bathing Locker
   Charged with burglary, George GIBSON, 22 years old, of 31 St. Marks 
avenue, was held by Magistrate MAGUIRE in the Coney Island court 
yesterday in $3,500 bail for hearing this afternoon when he pleaded not 
   GIBSON was arrested by Detectives Thomas STROWBRIDGE and William 
ANDERSON, of the Coney Island station, last Sunday on complaint of 
Thomas DALEY, an accountant of 295 Warren street.  It was alleged by 
DALEY that GIBSON broke into a locker he occupied in Dunne's Baths, West 
Thirty-third street and the Boardwalk, and stole his wallet containing a 
fountain pen and a pencil.

23 July 1929
Dr. KEIL and Wife at Odds Over Custody of Children
	Supreme Court Justice JOHNSTON to-day, on the hearing of a writ of 
habeas corpus to regain the custody of two children, adjourned open 
court and took both of the parents to his chambers in an effort to have 
them agree.
	The parents were Dr. Peter A. KEIL, chief of staff of the new German 
Lutheran Hospital, and Mrs. Marie C. KEIL. The divorce action was 
brought by Dr. KEIL, who recently went to his wife’s home and took two 
of his three children, Charles, 5, and Virginia, 8, from his wife’s 
custody. To-day she engaged Robert H. ELDER as her attorney and asked 
for the writ to regain the two children.
	Dr. KEIL, through his attorney, Anton WEIDMANN, opposed the return of 
his children to his wife and told the court that the children were now 
at the camp of Our Lady of Wisdom, at Commack. The attorneys for both 
parties were unable to reach any agreement and the parents refused to 
come to any agreement. It was at this point that Justice JOHNSTON 
adjourned court to his chambers.

Transcribed for the Brooklyn Info Pages by Chris Hendrickson
Return to COURT MAIN
Return to CIVIL MAIN