enter name and hit return
**** FORGOTTEN STREETS
Abattoir Place,now West 12th St.b/w.11th Ave.& the Hudson River.
Abingdon Place,now West 12th St.b/w.Hudson & Greenwich Sts.
Laid out c.1807,it was known then as Cornelia St.;
in 1817 as Scott St.
Abingdon Road,see Love Lane.
Abingdon Square, Charolette WARREN married the Earl of
Abingdon. Her father bought 300 acres in Greenwich Village
in 1744. The Warren Mansion stood bounded by Charles,
Perry, Bleeker and 10th St.
Academy Street,still in existence.
The school occupied the entire block. Public School #52.
Achmuty Lane was in block bounded
byWater,South,Pike,& Rutgers Sts.
Adams Place,now West Broadway b/w.Spring & Prince Sts.
Adrian Avenue, Named for Adrian van der DONCK,
in 1646 was granted a tract of land from Spuyten Duyvil to
Yonkers. He founded the City of Yonkers.
Albany Avenue once ran from 26th St.b/w.5th & Madison Aves.
northwesterly,crossing 5th Ave.b/w.29th & 30th St.
to corner of 6th Ave.& 42nd St.then northerly on the
present line of 6th Ave.to 93rd St.
Albany Street, The 1st pier on the Hudson River side of
Manhattan, built 1797.
Albion Place,now East 4th St.b/w.2nd Ave.& the Bowery.
Allen Street, Named for Cap't Wm. Henry ALLEN,the youngest
Captain in the Navy during the War of 1812.
He died in action at 29 years of age.
Alms House,south side of Chambers St.on the site of New Court House.
Amity Alley (Amity Place),formerly in rear of No.216 Wooster St.
Amity Lane was a country lane (1751) which commenced at Broadway,
50 ft.north of Bleecker St.&.ran northwesterly to 6th Ave.just
south of 4th St.
Amity Street,now West 3rd St.b/w.Broadway & 6th Ave.
Amos Street,now West l0th St.b/w.Greenwich Ave.& the Hudson River.
State prison stood.1797.
Ann Street,now Gr & St.b/w.Broadway & the Bowery.Laid out in 1797;
name changed in 1807.
Ann Street,now Elm St.b/wt.Reade & Franklin Sts.Name changed in 1807.
Anne Street.Horse & Cart St.in 1748.
Ann Street, Named for Ann WHITE, wife of an early merchant and
developer Capt. Thomas WHITE.
Anthony Street,now Duane St.
Anthony Street,now Worth St.b/w.Hudson &.Baxter Sts.Laid out in
1795 known in 1797 as Catherine St.;in 1807 as Anthony St.
from Little Water St.
Arch Place was in rear of No.109 Canal St.b/w.Church St.& West Broadway.
Arden Street (Ardens) now Morton St.b/w.Varick & Bleecker Sts.;
changed in 1829.Also called Eden St.Named for Jacob Arden,
a butcher and Revolutionary patriot.
Art Street,now Astor Place.Originally a lane leading from the
Bowery to a part of the Stuyvesant Farm,
it was known as Art St.in 1807.
Arundel Street,now Clinton St.from Division to Houston Sts.
Laid out c.1760;changed to Clinton in 1828.
Ashl & Place,now Perry St.b/w.Waverly Place & Greenwich Ave.
Asser Levy Place One of the earliest Jewish settlers in New Amsterdam.
Asylum Street,now West 4th St.b/w.6th Ave.& 13th St.
Originally Chester St.Changed to Asylum St.when N.Y.
Orphan Asylum erected there.
Attorney Street, The street was laid in 1797 but who it was named
for is unknown, probably because lawyers had offices here.
Bancker Street was named for a son in law of Henry Rutgers..
wealthy businessman, Patriot, Legislator and Tammany big wig.
The Bancker Family was also wealthy...and when the area fell on
hard times the bancker family asked their name be removed
from the street.It was renamed MADISON STREET after Pres James Madison.
Auchmuty Street,named after Rev.Dr.Samuel Auchmuty,Rector of
Trinity Parish.Now Rector St.
Augustus Street,now City Hall Place.Laid out
c.1795 it was known as Augustus St.in 1797.
Bache Street, now Beach St.
Back of Jail.Chambers St.near Centre St.
Bailey Street was laid out through the New York Common Lands.
It ran from Broadway to Albany Ave.b/w.25th & 26th Sts.
Bancker Street,now Duane St.
Bancker Street,now Madison St.b/w. Catherine & Pearl Sts.
It was projected c.1750;known as Bancker in 1755,
as Madison since.
Bank Street, In 1798 a clerk in the bank at Wall Street was
stricken with Yellow Fever, to avoid quarentine, the bank
bought 8 lots in Greenwich Village and erected a branch
there for use in emergencies.In 1882 an epidemic drove hundreds
of city residents and business to the Village
and the Bank Street flourished.
Bannon Street,now Spring St.
Barclay Street,In 1785 a carpenters shop occupied the corner
of Barclay & Church Streets.Father WHELAN procurred a lease
of this corner, fitted the shop for services and began collecting funds.
The cornerstone was laid Oct.5, 1785, by Don Diego de Gardoqui
and in it was deposited Spanish coins.On Nov.4, 1786, the church
was consecrated, for many years very good Catholic able to walk or
ride attended this historic house of worship, for it was New Yorks
only Catholic Church until 1815.
The present St. Peter's replaced it in 1836.
Barclay Street Named for the Rev. Henry Barclay, who in 1746
became the 2nd rector of Trinity Church.
Bar Street as laid out,ran from Gr & St.to the East River b/w.
Scammel & Jackson Sts.It was also called Fir St.
Barley Street,now Duane St.from Rose to Hudson Sts.Laid out 1791;
name changed 1807.
Barrack Street, former name of Tryon Row (now obsolete);
known by this name in 1766.
Barrick Street,now Exchange Place.
Barrow Street,now West Washington Place b/w.Macdougal &.West 4th Sts.
Barrow Street,Originally called Reason Street.Named for
Thomas BARROW, whose drawing of Tinity Church became famous.
Bartley Street,now Duane Street from Greenwich St.to Pearl St.
Batavia Lane,now Batavia St.
Battery, Built on a ledge in the Hudson River a hundred
yards off shore and called the Southwest Battery, this old
pile was renamed Fort Clinton during the War of 1812. In 1822,
it was discontinued as a fort and ceded to the city.,
becoming a place of entertainment.By 1850 it was called Castle Garden.
After the Academy of Music opened in 1854, it was no longer used
for as an entertainment center.The space between the Garden and the
mainland was filled in and the Board of Immigration took over from
1855 to 1890.After, it was transformed into the Municipal Aquarium.
Now it has been restored and declared a National Monument.
Battery Place In 1660 a windmill held the distinction in the city
which today is held by New York's skyscrapers. It towered
above most of the neighboring buildings. Incoming ships
scanned the horizon, saw the windmill, & steered accordingly.
It stood on rising ground just west of the fort, where it
could catch the wind from all directions.The windmill is gone but
it survives on the Seal of the City.
Battery Place A battery of artillery in 1693 to protect the city
against French attack that never came.
Battoe (Batan, Batteaux) Street,now Dey St.
Baxter Street Named for Charles BAXTER, a state legislative,
who resigned to fight in the War of 1848.
Bayard Place,now Charles Lane;narrow street running from
Washington to West St.b/w.Charles & Perry Sts.
Bayard Street,now Stone St.Named for a nephew of Peter Stuyvesant,
Bayard's Lane,now Broome Street.
Beaver Lane (Bever Lane) now Morris St.(Goelets St.).
Beaver's Path,now Battery Place.Old Indian road.
Beaver Street, Named for the Beaver, whose fur served as money
in the early days. The beaver is on the
'Provincial seal of Nieuw Nederland' 1623-1664
Bear Market,Greenwich St.b/wween Fulton & Vesey Streets.
Beach Street Is a corruption of Bache. Paul BACHE,
son-in-law of Anthony LISPENARD, who owned
Lispenhard Meadows, just south of Canal Street.
Bedlow Street,now Madison St.b/w,Catherine & Montgomery Sts.
Known by this name in 1797 as Bancker St.in 1817.
Beekman & Cliff Streets, When the English took New york, 1664,
they held their church services in "the church of the fort".
After Trinity church had been built and became too crowded
it was necessary to build a "Chappel of Ease to Triniy Church".
Several persons residing in "Montgomerei Ward" raised funds to buy
land at Beekman & Cliff Streets, & in 1752 the 2nd
Protestant Episcopal Church, St. George's, was completed.Among it's
members were the:
Washington Irving was christened here.
Belvedere Place,now West 10th St.
Bellevue Lane,a lane in the old Bellevue estate which led to the
Old Post Road.
Benson's Lane,now Elm St.
Berkley Street,part of Barclay St.
Berthune Street,still standing Opened 1827.
Beurs Straat was the Dutch name of Whitehall St.
Bever Graft,Bever Straat,Bever Paatjie,were the Dutch names of
Beaver St. from Broadway to Broad St.
Birmingham Street,still standing.
Bleeker Street was called Herring Street.
Blindmans Alley,still standing 26 Cherry St.
Bloomfield Street formerly ran from No.7 10th Ave.to the Hudson River.
Bloomingdale Road,once one of the city's main thoroughfares,started
at 23rd St.,being the continuation of Broadway at that point.
It followed the present Broadway as far as 86th St.where it
veered easterly,running b/w.Broadway & Amsterdam Ave.
At 104th St.it again followed the line of Broadway until reaching
107th St.,where it turned slightly westerly ;until it met the present
easterly roadway of Riverside Drive,following it to 116th St.Here it
turned easterly,crossing Broadway at 126th St.& meeting Old
Broadway at Manhattan St.(The present Old Broadway b/w.
Manhattan St.& 133rd St.is a part of the original road.) From
133rd St.it ran slightly east of the present Broadway into Hamilton Place
at 138th St.,following Hamilton Pl.to its termination at Amsterdam
Ave.& 144th St.,& from there running northeasterly & ending at the
junction of Kingsbridge Road,just east of St.Nicholas Ave.& 147th St.
Bogart Street formerly ran from No.539 West St.west to the Hudson River.
Boorman Place,former name of part of West 33rd St.,b/ww Eighth & Ninth Aves.
Boorman Terrace,former name of part of West 32nd St.b/ww Eighth & Ninth Aves.
Borce (Baree) part of the old Bowery Road.
Boston Post Road. (See Eastern Post Road.)
Bott Street,now Elm St.
Boulevard,The,now Broadway from 59th to 155th Sts.It was opened in 1868 &
changed to Broadway on Jan.1.1899.
Boulevard Place,now West 130th St.from 5th to Lenox Aves.
Bowery,The,part of an old Indian trail.Called Bowery Rd.or
Bowery Lane,it dates from 1625.
Bowery Lane.The Bowery was so called in 1760;since 1807 known as The Bowery.
Bowery Place was in the rear 49 Chrystie St.b/w.Canal & Hester Sts.
Bowling Green,now Cherry St.
Bowling Green, After 1789 Washington's inauguration, it
seemed NY City would continue to be the National Capitol.
Great plans were proposed.One to cut off the lower end of
Manhattan from river to river, at the foot of Broadway, and in
this segregated district with it's fine ocean view, to erect
magnificent parlimentary buildings, each surrounded by spacious grounds.
The first building was built in 1790,called "Government House" and
was to house the President, Senate and Representitives in seperate
wings and visiting statesmen.When the National Capitol was moved to
Philadelphia the building became the residence of Gov. CLINTON and
John Jay. Later it became the custom house, 1799-1815.
Branon (Branner,Brennan) Street,now Spring St.
Broad & Pearl (corner of) Streets,Fraunces' Tavern today is one of the
2 Pre-Revolutionary buildings which have escaped destruction in
lower New York,First it was the residence of Stephen
De LANCEY from abt 1720 until his death. After serving as a
residence and then a store it was auctioned off to Samuel FRAUNCES.
From 1762, it was operated as a tavern, first by Fraunces and
then BOLTON (of Province Arms fame) and again by Fraunces.
The survival of this old landmark can be credited to the
Society of the Sons of the Revolution
Broadway, 1807, near the present Grace Church, Henry BREVOORT
kept a tavern. New York was changing quickly, there were
plans to extend Broadway northward in a straight line as far as
14th St.This would have made it necessary to chop down a very
old and beautiful tree that Brevoort had spent many hours under
smoking it's pipe in it's shade. When he heard of the plans he
used all the influence he had in changing their plans.
Instead of continuing Broadway in a straight line they "bent"
it a little to the westward at 10th St, thus saving the tree.
Today, the tree, the tavern, and the Tavern-keeper have all passed
on but the bend in Broadway still survives.
Broadway,In 1745, Archibald KENNEDY purchases the lots
Nos 1,2,and 3 Broadway, from Peter BAYARD, a member of the
BAYARD family, into which Peter Stuyvesant had married.
In 1750 the Kennedy mansion was completed, it had a parlour
50 ft long. Come the Revolution Kennedy left for England,
being a Loyalist.
Broadway & Thames Street,When the British occupied the city,
1776 to 1783, the Providence Arms had now become the City Tavern.
Although scarlet coats of the army and blue and gold of the Navy
mixed here there was fellowship and Conviviality.
Tragedy late one night, a duel was fought in one of the taverns rooms.
The Honorable J. TOLLEMARCHE, brother of the Earl of Dysart and
Commander of the Man-of-war, Zebra & Capt. PENNINGTON, of the
Coldstream Guards.TOLLEMARCHE recieved a thrust thru the left breast
and died instantly, he was buried in Trinity Church but the location
of his grave is unknown today.
Broadway & Wall, In the old Dutch days present Wall Street was
an open way, running along a high stockade od wooden palisades,
and was know as the "Cingle". The stockade was the result of a rumor
that the English were planning a foray upon the town. The only
defense was the small fort at the south end of the island,
not large enough to hold all the townspeople, so the frightened
Dutch got busy and built a palisade or "wall" abt 10 ft high with a
bank of earth on the inside to strengthen it, from which defenders
could look down on attackers.There was a fortified "Water Gate" at the
East River end & a "Land Gate" where the present Broadway
crosses Wall Street.
Breedweg (Breedwegh).Broadway b/w.Bowling Green & Park Row was known by
these names during the Dutch occupancy.
Brevoort Place,now West 10th St.b/w.Broadway 8c University PI.
Brewers Hill,now Gold St.
Brewen's Street (Breurs, Brawer Straat) now Stone St.
Bride Street,now Minetta St.from Bleecker St.to the bend in the street.
Bridge Street was one of the former names of Elm St.
Bridewell,Broadway opposite Murray St.
Broad Street In 1637 it was called "Heere Graft" and was one of
the first 4 streets of the town. A canal ran down its centre,
beginning at a swamp where cattle grazed (now Exchange Place)
and running south to the bay.2 bridges spanned the canal at
intervals & Dutch burghers congregated to gossip and discuss business.
Broad Street,Upon the death of his father in 1756, William Alexander
inherited a large fortune. He married the daughter of
Phillip LIVINGSTON, joined the Patriot Army and in 1775 was a
colonel in the Revolutionary Army.He was one of the founders of
Broad Wagon Way,The,name of Broadway in 1670.
Broadway Alley runs from No.153 East 26th St.north to 27th St.
Broadway & Fiftieth Street,The first Hoppers (Hoppe) came to NY from
Holland in 1652. In 1714, Matthys Adolphus HOPPE owned a large
farm stretching along the Hudson,northeard from abt 42nd St.&
bounded on the east by the Bloomingdale Rd.It was called
Great Kils Farm after the stream which drained it.
Another Hopper, Johannes, owned land further north and had his house
on the shore near 52nd St. This was reached from Bloomingdale Rd by
Hopper Lane.When his sons married they each built houses.
One house was still standing in the 1860's.
Broadway at Leonard Street,When the Greenwich Rd opened prior to 1760,
Broadway, as a thoughfare ended at the present Leonard St.
It was cut off here by a set of bars,through which cattle
were led to graze in the pastures to the north.
This side of town had ben by-passed as the East side
was considered more desirable for dwellings and business.
It wasn't until this swampland was drained that Broadway got
it's real chance to become "The Greatest Street in the World".
Broadway & Rector Street, Trinity Churchyard, the first was built in
1697 on the same site as the 3rd or present Trinity structure.
The first rector was Reverand William VESEY. A large tract of land
known as Queens Farm, was included in the grant to Trinty, making
it the wealthiest parish in America.
Broadway & Thames Street,A tavern here was originally the mansion
of the Honorable James De Lancey, Lieut. Gov. of the Providence,
built in 1700 by Etienne de Lancey, founder of the family in
this country.Made of stone, 2 stories high, with a cupola and
a back piazza,across a sloping lawn with an unobstructed view
of the Hudson River and the Palisades.Opened as a tavern in 1754,
by Edward WILLET, it became the outstanding hostelry of the town.
It had adjoining stables and was close to the Boston Post Rd &
North River & Brooklyn Ferries.In 1774 John Adams stopped here on
his way to Philadelphia, where the seeds of the American Revolution
would take root.
Brook Street original name of Hancock St.
Brouwer Straat (Brewer's St.) was the name the Dutch first gave to
the present Stone St.It was one of the earliest streets laid out by them
& received this name on account of the Brewery of the West India Co.
being located on it.Since 1797 has been known as Stone St.,having
been called High St.in 1674 & Duke St.in 1691.
Brugh Straat (Bridge Street) was one of the early Dutch streets & received
this name on account of it being the street which led to the bridge
over the canal in Broad St.;known as Bridge St.in 16741 as
Hull St.in 1691; & as Bridge St. since 1728.
Brugh Steegh (Bridge Lane) was a narrow street,about twenty-two feet wide,
which ran b/wween Bridge & Stone Sts.It was closed about 1674.
Budd Street original name of Van Dam St.
Bullock Street original name of Broome St.;
known by this name in 1766;
since 1807 known as Broome St.
Bunker's Hill. Gr & St., from Mott St.to Broadway.
Burger's Path was the Dutch name of a part of William St.
Burling Lane was a country road which commenced at the present
Broadway,b/w 17th & 18th Sts.,& ran southwesterly,
meeting the Southampton Rd at about the present 6th Ave.& 16th St.
Burnet Street original name of Water St.b/w Wall St.& Maiden Lane.
Burr Street original name of Charlton St.
Burrows Street original name of Grove St.
In 1807 was known as Columbia St. & since 1817 as Burrows St.
Burton Street original name of LeRoy St.from Varick to Bleecker Sts.
Bushwick Street was the former name ofTompkins St.
Byvanck Street,formerly ran from Gr & to Water Streets.
Camden Place original name of East 11th St.b/w Avenues B & C.
Caroline Street was at the head of Duane St.Slip.
Carroll Place original name of Bleecker St.
b/w West Broadway & Thompson St.
Cartmans Arcade was an Alley which ran south at
No,171 Delancey St.now closed.
Catherine Place was the former name of Catherine Lane.
Catherine Street was the former name of Worth St.
known in 1797 as Catherine St.
in 1807 as Anthony St.
Catherine Street original name of Waverly Pl.
b/w Christopher and.West 12th Sts.
known by this name in 1807.
Catherine Street original name of Mulberry St.
b/w Bayard & Bleecker Sts.
known by this name in 1797.
Catherine Street was the former name of Pearl St.
b/w Broadway & Elm Street
was also called Magazine St.
Cato's lane started at the Eastern Post Road,about the present 2nd Ave.
b/w 52nd & 53rd Sts. & ran southeasterly to the East River at Ave.A
b/w 50th & 51st Sts.
Centre Market Place by Centre Market.
Centre Street now Marion Street.
Chapel Street original name of West Broadway from Murray to Canal Sts.
known by this name in 1797 name changed to College Place in 1830.
Chappel Street original name of Beekman St.
Charles Alley original name of Charles Lane.
Charlotte Street original name of Pike St.b/w Cherry & Division Sts.,
was known by this name in 1791.
Chatham Street original name of Park Row.This street was originally
part of the Bowery called Chatham St.in 1774,changed to Park Row in 1886.
Cheapside original name of Hamilton St.b/w Catherine & Market Sts.;
was known by this name in 1797,name changed to Hamilton St.on Aug.27,1827.
Cherry Street, is one of New York's early thoroughfares. Where Pearl
Street (called Queen Street after the British took over) ended at
Peck Slip, a road continued in the same northerly direction into
the open country. This road was bordered by farms and cherry orchards.
It was named Cherry Street. In 1770 Walter FRANKLIN built a
residence at No 3.Until 1817 the location was known as
St. George's Square, then renamed Franklin Square in honor of
Ben Franklin.The mansion was destroyed by fire in 1856.
All that was left is a chair made from some of the old timbers.
The NY Historical Society has this chair.The abutment of the
Bklyn Bridge covers the site of this old residence.
Chester Street original name of West 4th St.b/w Bank & Christopher Sts.
Chestnut Street original name of Howard St.b/w Broadway & Mercer St.;
known in 1807,as Hester St.
Chrystie Street original name of Cherry Street.
Church Lane was one of the first streets laid out in the village of Harlem,
it ran from 117th St.b/w 3rd & 4th Aves.northerly to 120th St.
then northeasterly,crossing 3rd Ave.at 121st St.,
2nd Ave.at 123rd St. & ending at the Harlem River
b/w 125th & 126th Sts.
Church Street original name of Exchange Place b/w Broadway & William St.
City Hall Lane,see Coentics Alley.
Cingle (Single St.or The Cingel),in Dutch times south side of Wall Street.
Clendening's Lane was a country road which started in Central Park.
about on line with 6th Ave. & 105th St. & ran westerly along
the southerly side of 105th St.to the middle of the block b/w
Columbus & Amsterdam Ave.,then southwesterly to the
Bloomingdale Road,at about a point fifty feet south of 103rd St.
Clermont Street original name of Mercer St.;
known in 1797 as First St. & since 1807 as Mercer St.
Clermont Street original name of Hester St.
b/w Centre St.& Broadway and,of Howard St.b/w Broadway & Mercer St.
Clinton Place original name of West 8th St.from Broadway to 6th Ave.
Coentics Alley runs b/w Pearl & Stone Streets.
Col.Burr's,Richmond Hill,S.E.corner of Varick & Charlton Sts.
Colden Street original name of Duane St.from Lafayette to Rose St.;
known by this name in 1803.
Collect Street original name of Centre St.from Hester to Pearl Sts.;
known by this name in 1807 to 1817.
College Place original name of West Broadway from Barclay to Warren Sts.;
known in 1751 as Chapel St.;name changed to College Pl.in 1830.
Columbia Place original name of a part of 8th St.
Columbia Street original name of Grove St.;
was also called Burrows & Cozine Sts.
Columbia Street original name of Jersey St.
Columbian Alley,now Jersey St.
Commerce Street original name of Barrow St.
Commons Street.Name of Park Row at one time.
Concord Street original name of West Broadway from Canal to 4th Sts.
Congress Place original name of an Alley in the rear of No.4 Congress St.
Coopers Street original name of Kletcher St.
Cop Street original name of State St.
Cornelia Street original name of West 12th St.
b/w Greenwich Ave. & Hudson St.
Cottage Place original name of East 3rd St.b/w Avenues B & C.
Cottage Row original name of 4th Ave.b/w 18th & 19th Sts.
Cozine Street original name of Grove St.
Crabapple Street original name of Pike St.
Crolius', north side of Chatham St.,b/w Pearl & Duane Sts.
Cropsie Street original name of State St.
Cross Street original name of Park St.
Crown Point Street original name of Gr & St.from the Bowery to the East River.
Crown Point Street original name of Corlaers St.
Crown Point Street original name ofWater St.
b/w Montgomery St. & the East River.
Crown Street original name of Park St.;known in 1797 as Cross St.
Crown Street original name of Liberty St.;it was laid out about 1690
at one time called Tienhoven St.;name changed to Liberty St.in 1783.
Custom House St.was the former name of Pearl St.
b/w Whitehall St. & Hanover Square.
Cuyler's Alley,formerly Mesier's Alley.
David Street original name ofBleecker St.b/w Broadway & Hancock St.;
name changed in 1820.
David Street original name of Clarkson St.b/w Varick & Hudson Sts.
Decatur Place original name of 7th St.b/w 1st Ave. & Avenue A.
Depau Row original name of Bleecker St.b/w Thompson & Sullivan Sts.
DcPeyster Street runs b/w Water & South Streets.
Desbrossses Street original name of Gr & St.b/w Broadway & Varick St.
Dirty Lane original name of South William St.This street was opened about
1656 & was called by the Dutch Slyck Steegh,meaning Dirty Lane.
In 1674 it was called Mill Street Lane;
name changed to South William St.about 1832.
Division Street was the former name of Fulton St.b/w Broadway & West St.
Dixon's Row was the name given to a part of 110th St.b/w 8th & Columbus Aves.
Dock Street original name of Pearl St.from Whitehall Street & Hanover Square.
Dock Street original name of Water St.b/w Coenties Slip & Beekman St.
Dominic Street original name of Doaning St.
Donovan's Lane was near No.474 Pearl St.
Duggan Street original name of Canal St.b/w Centre & West Sts.
Duke Street original name of Stone St.During the Dutch times
a part was known as Brouwers Straat,& another part as Hoogh
Straat;in 1674 it was known as High St. & a part as Stone St.
In 1691 it was called Duke St. & since 1797 has been known as
Stone St.This street was the first to be paved with stone in the City.
Duke Street original name of Vanderwater St.;
it was known by this name in 1755.
Duncomh Place original name of East 128th St.b/w 2nd & 3rd Aves.
Dunham Place was an alley running south from West 33rd St.now closed.
Dunscombe Place original name of East 50th St.b/w 1st Ave. & Beekman Place.
Dutch Street runs from John to Fulton Streets b/w William & Nassau Streets.
Dwar's Street original name of Exchange Place b/w Broadway & Broad St.
Dyes Street.Dey Street was so called in 1767.
Eagle Street original name of Hester St.;it was laid out about
1750,known in 1755 as Hester St.,in 1766 as Eagle St..
& since 1807 as Eagle St.b/w.Bowery. & Division Sts.
East Bank Street was an old road in Greenwich Village;it ran from
7th & Greenwich Aves.northeasterly to the Union Road in the
block now bounded by 6th & 7th Aves.,13th & 14th Sts.
East C.ourt was in West 22nd St.near 6th Ave.,now closed.
East George Street was the former name of Market St.
East Place formerly ran in the rear of Nos.184-186 East 3rd St.
b/w Avenues B & C.
East Road original name of 4th Ave.b/w 17th & 90th Sts.
East Rutgers Street, now Rutgers Street.
East Street was tile former name of Mangin St.
Kast Tompkins Place original name of East 11th St.b/w Avenues A & B.
Eastern Boulevard,connected Central Park with the East River.
Eastern Post Road started at the present Broadway & 23rd St.and
ran northeasterly across Madison Square to about 30th St.just west
of Lexington Ave.;it then ran northerly,parallel to Lexington Ave.
to 36th St.there veering easterly,crossing 3rd Ave.at 45th St.
& then running northerly,midway b/w 2nd & 3rd Aves.to 5oth St.
where it turned northeasterly.Crossing 2nd Ave.at 52nd St.from there
it ran northerly,midway b/w 1st & 2nd Aves.at 62nd St.
3rd Ave,at 7 2nd. & Lexington Ave.at 76th St.It then ran
northerly & northeasterly,recrossing Lexington Ave.at 77th St.
then northeasterly,northerly & northwesterly,crossing 5th Ave.
at 90th St.,then northerly through Central Park,recrossing
5th Ave.at 109th St.,4th Ave.at 159th St.,
then northeasterly b/w Third & Fourth Aves.to the Harlem River
at 130th St. & Third Ave.This road was also called the
Boston Post Road.It was closed in 1839.
Eden Street original name of Morton St.b/w Bedford & Bleecker Sts.
It was also called Arden St.
Eden's Alley;see Ryder's Alley.
Edgar Street original name of Morris St.
Edgars Alley original name of Exchange Alley.
Edgecombe Avenue Overlooking the Harlem River, a stately mansion
withstood the march of time since 1758. Roger MORRIS
built it for his bride, Mary PHILIPSE, a lady very much admired
by young George Washington.Years later, Washington now a General
used the house as his headquarters.In 1810 Stephen JUMEL, a wealthy
NY merchant, bought it. His wife, Madame (Eliza) Jumel born
at sea in 1769, she was adopted by a New England lady. At
seventeen she ran away to New York with a British army officer,
eventually marrying Jumel.Jumel died in 1832, a year later
she was won by Aaron BURR, they seperated in 1834.
At the age of 96 she passed away.
Eighth Street original name of Hancock St.
Elbow Street (Lane) original name of Cliff St.
Eliza Street original name of Waverly Place.
Eliza Street was a country road on the Kips Bay Farm.
It started in the block bounded by 2nd & 3rd Aves.
28th & 29th Sts. & ran northeasterly,crossing
2nd Ave.at 35th St. & ended at 39th St.b/w 1st & 2nd Aves.It ran
at right angle to two other old roads,Kips Bay St. & Maria St.
Ellet's or Elliotts Alley was the name by which
Mill Lane was known in about 1664.
Elm Street original name of Lafayette St.b/w Worth & Spring Sts.
Erie Place was the former name of Duane St.
b/w Washington & West Sts.
Exchange Court was in the rear of No.74 Exchange Place.
Exchanne Street was the former name of Beavcr St.
b/w William & Pearl Sts.
Exchanne Street original name of Whitehall St.
Exchanne Street was the former name of Marketfield St.
In 1791 was called Petticoat Lane.
Extra Place was an alley which ran north from 1st St.
b/w the Bowery & 2nd Ave.
Factory Street original name of Waverly Place b/w Christopher & Bank Sts.
It was also called Catherine St.
Fair Street original name of Fulton St.from Broadway
to the Hudson east of Broadway it was called Partition St.
It was laid out about 1720.
Farlow's Court was formerly in the rear of
Nos.153,155,157,159 & 161 Worth St.
Fayette Street original name of Oliver St.It was known as
Oliver St.since 1823 From Park Row to Madison Sts.
Federal Hall,was at the N.E..corner of Wall & Nassau Streets;
now the Sub-Treasury bldg.
Feitner's l.ane;see Verdant Lane.
Ferry Street original name of Bayard St.
Ferry Street original name of Peck Slip..
Ferry Street original name of Jackson St.b/w Division & Cherry Sts.;
was known by this name in 1807;was also called Ferry Place,
Ferry Street original name of Seammel St.
Field Street,Fieldmarket Street were the former names of Marketfield St.
Fifth Street original name of Orchard St.
Fifth Street original name of Thompson St.
Fifth Street original name of Washington St.
Fifty-First & First Avenue,BEEKMAN is one of New York's oldest and
most distinctive family names. The founder, William Beekman came
here from Holland on the ship with Peter Stuyvestant.
His name survives thru William & Beekman
Streets.He built a mansion at 51st St. near the East River called
Mount Pleasant. In the greenhouse behind the house Nathan Hale was
imprisioned and tried. He was hanged in the orchard nearby.
Fir Street ran from Gr & St.to the East River
b/w Seammel & Jackson Sts.now closed;
it was also called Bar St.
Fire Alley,believed to be behind the Old City Hall on
Wall Street where the first two engine houses were built.
First Street original name of Chrystie St.from Division to Houston
Known by this name in 1766.
First Street original name of Mercer St.called Vermont St.in 1797.
since 1807 known as Mercer St.
First Street was a former name of Greenwich St.
First Avenue, A mill stream once flowed from the present Central Park,
in a winding south-easterly direction to the East river. It flowed
through the 60 acre farm which was granted to David DUFFORE in 1677.
In 1678 he built a grist mill on his stream and operated successfully.
The stream called, Devoor's Mill Stream, no longer flows through the
sunlit glades but continues unseen far beneath the pavement, finally
reaching the East River near 49th St.
Fisher's Court was in the rear of Nos.22,24,26 Oak Street,b/w Roosevelt & James Sts.
Fisher Street original name of Bayard St.from the Bowery to
Division St.Known by this name in 1755,
since 1807 known as Bayard St.
Fitzroy Place original name of West 28th St.b/w 8th & 9th Aves.
Fitzroy Road;see Roy Road.
Flatten Barrack Street was one of the former names of Exchange Place,
b/w Broadway & Broad St.It was known by this name in 1728.
Fly Market Street,foot of Maiden Lane.
Fourth Street original name of Allen St.b/w Division & Houston Sts.
Fourth Street original name of West Broadway b/w Canal & West 4th Streets.
Franklin Terrace was in the rear of No.364 West 36th St.
French Church Street original name of Pine Street b/w Broadway & William St.
Front Street original name of Greenwich St.
Fulton Street was a former name of Nassau St.
Garden Lane original name of Exchange Alley,was also known as Tin Pot Alley.
Garden Row original name of Nos.140 to 158 West 11th St.
Garden Street was one of the former names of Exchange Place.This street was
out during the Dutch rule & was called by them Tuyn (Garden) Straat,
in 1691 it was known as Church Street,in 1728 as Garden St. & a part as
Flatten Barrack;in 1797 it was all called Garden St.
Garden Street original name of Cherry Street from Montgomery to Corlaers Sts.
Garden Street Alley,now Exchange Alley.
Gardiner Street was the former name ofTompkins St.
Garry Place original name of West 35th Street b/w 7th & 8th Avenues.
Gen.Greene Street original name of Gouverneur St.
George Street original name of Beckman St.
George Street original name of Bleecker St.b/w Hancock & Bank Sts.
George Street original name of Hudson St.
George Street original name of Market St.b/w Division & Cherry Sts.
It was known by this name in 1791.
George Street original name of Park St.
George Street original name of Rose St.
George Street original name of Spruce St.It was laid out about 1725 as
George St.,in 1817 it was known as Little George St.
Germain Street original name of Carmine St.
Gerritsens Wagon Way,thought to be the early name of Astor Place.
Gibb's Alley ran from Madison St.b/w Oliver & James Sts.northwesterly
about one-half a block.
Gilbert Stteet original name of Barrow St.b/w Bleecker & West 4th Sts.
Gilford Place original name of East 44th St.b/w 3rd & Lexington Avenues.
Glassmakers Street, Glazier Street was a former name of William St.
b/w Pearl & Wall Sts.
Glover Place was one of the former names of Thompson St.b/w Spring & Prince Sts.
Golden Hill original name of John St.b/w William & Pearl Sts.
Gotham Court,name of street beginning at 19 Cherry Street.
Gould,now Gold St.
Gouverneur Alley,former name of Gouverneur Lane.
Grand Avenue original name of 125th St.
Great Dock Street was one of the former names of Pearl St.This street was
known in 1657 as Pearl St.; in the same year was also known as
Hoogh St. & the Waal;in 1691 as Great Dock & Great Queen Sts.;
in 1728 as Queen St.;in 1797 it was known as Pearl St.as far north
as Park Row,the rest being called Magazine St.Since 1807 the entire
street has been known as Pearl St.
Great George Street was the name Broadway,north of the City Hall Park,
was known by in 1791.
Great Kill Road;see Southampton Road.
Green Alley or Lane original name of Liberty Place.
Green Street was a former name of Liberty St.
Greenwich Lane original name of Gansevoort St. & Greenwich Ave.
Greenwich Street.Washington St.was called by this name at one time.
Greenwich Street, Greenwich is one of New Yorks' old-timers.
In 1633, Wouter van Twiller, the Dutch Governor, owned a farm
which included much of the present Greenwich Village.
There wasn't a good road connecting Manhattan
until the British occupation, so Wouter van Twiller must have
traveled back and forth by boat.In 1746,a Captain Peter Warren
built himself a residence near the present Sheridan Square,
and from this time we hear of the Greenwich Road leading
from this location to the city.It followed the same course as
today, along the shore of the Hudson River.
Hall Street,formerly Hall Place.
Hamilton Place original name of West 51 St.b/w Broadway & 8th Ave.
Hammersly Street original name of West Houston Street b/w
Macdougal.St. & the Hudson River.
Hammond Street original name of West 11 th St.b/w Greenwich Ave.
& the Hudson River.
Hanson Place original name of 2nd Ave.b/w 124th & 125th Sts.
Harlem Lane.The present St.Nicholas Ave.from 110th to 123rd Sts.was called by
this name;it was part of the Kingsbridge Road.
Harlem Read (The Old) was a country road leading to the Village of Harlem;
it started at the junction of the Eastern Post Road in Central Park about
on a line of 108th St. & b/w 5th & Lenox Aves.running northeasterly;
crossing Madison Ave.b/w 113th & 114th Sts.;Park Ave.b/w 115th & 116th Sts.;
Lexington Ave.b/w 117th & 118th Sts.;2nd Ave.at 123rd St.;1st Ave.at 125 St.
& ending at the Harlem River at the foot of 126th St.
Harlem Road started at the Eastern Post Road about the present 95th St.b/w Madison
& 5th Aves. & ran northeasterly,crossing Madison Ave.at 99th St.;
Park Ave.at 108th St.;Lexington Ave.at 116th St. & ending at the
Harlem River at 129th St.
Harman Street original name of East Broadway;it was originally a lane,
known as Love Lane that led to the Rutgers' Farm.
Harsen's Lane was a country road which connected the Village of Harsenville
(70th St.& Broadway) with the eastern part of the Island;it commenced at the
Bloomingdale Road (the present Broadway) b/w 71st & 72nd Sts. &
ran easterly about on line of the present 71st & ended at the Middle Road,
the present ;5th Ave. & 71st St.
Harsen's Road,formerly ran from the Eastern Post Road to Ninth Ave.;then northwesterly to
Bloomingdale Road b/w 71st & 72nd Sts.
Hazard Street original name of King St.
Heer Graft (High Dutch) was the name given by the Dutch to the present Broad St.
b/w Beaver & Pearl Sts.in 1657,it was one of the earliest streets laid out
in the City; & received its name on account of the narrow canal which ran
through the center.This canal was filled in about 1676 & street was called
Broad St.;it was sometimes spelled Heeren Gracht.
Heere Dwars Straat,former name of Exchange Place b/w Broad & William Streets.
Heere Straat,Heere Wegh,Heere Waage Wegh,were the Dutch names for the present
Broadway b/w Bowling Green & the City Hall Park.
Hell Gate Ferry Road was a country road whicn ran from the East River at the foot
of 90th St.southwesterly,joining the Eastern Post Road at Madison Ave.
& 82nd St.
Henry Street original name of Perry St.
Hereweg.The Dutch name of the present Park Row from Broadway to Chambers St.
Herman Place was in the rear of Nos.194,198 4th St.b/w Avenues A & B.
Herring Street original name of Bleecker St.b/w Carmine & Banks Sts.
known by this name in 18171 name changed to Bleecker St.in 1829.
Herring Street was the former name of Mercer St.
Hester Court was formerly in the rear of No.101 Hester St.
Hester Street original name of Howard St.
Hett Street,Hetty Street,were the former names of Charlton St.
Hevins Street original name of Broome St.b/w Broadway
& Hudson Sts.;was also known as St.Hevins St.
High Street original name of Madison St.from Montgomery to Gr & Sts.
High Street original name of Stone St.;known by this name in 1674.
HoMen Street formerly ran from No.474 Washington at west to West St.;
now a part of Canal St.
Hoogh Straat (High Street) was the name of Stone St.east of Broad St.prior to 1664.
Hopper's Lane was a country road which ran from the Bloomingdale Road
(the present Broadway),just south of;51st St.westerly to the Hudson River
at the foot of 53rd St.
Horse & Cart Lane was the name of part of William St.
Houston Street original name of Prince St.b/w Broadway & Hancock St.
Hubert Street original name of York St.
Hudson Place original name of West 24.th St.b/w 14th & 10th Aves.
Hudson Street original name of West Houston Street b/w Broadway & Hancock St.
Hull Street original name of Bridge St.b/wWhitehall & Broad Sts.;
known as Bridge St.in 1676;Hull St.in 1681; & Bridge St since 1728.
Inwood Street,former name of Dyckman Street.
Jacksm Avenue original name of University Place.
Jackson Place was an alley which ran north from No 16 Downing St.now called Downing Place.
James Street,once known as St.James Street.
Jauncey Court was in the rear of Nos.37,39 & 41 Wall St.
Jauncey Lane was a country road which started b/w 93rd & 94th Sts.just west of
West End Ave. & ran easterly crossing 8th Ave.at 94th St. & ending at
the Eastern Post Road,about the present line of 96th St.b/w 5th & 6th Aves.
Jew's Alley original name of South William St.b/w Broad Street & Mill Lane.
Jew's Alley formerly ran from Madison St.b/w Oliver & James Sts.
Jones Court was in the rear of Nos.48,50 Wall St.
Jones Street original name of Great Jones St.
Judith Street original name of Gr & St.b/w the Bowery & Centre St.
King Street original name of Pine St.It was laid out about 1691 & was
known as Queen St.;known in 1728 as King St.;name changed to
Pine St.in 1793.
King Street original name of William St.b/w Hanover Square & Wall St.
King George Street original name of William St.from Frankfort St.
easterly to Pearl at.;known by this name in 1755.
Kingsbridge Road branched off from the Eastern Post Road a little north of
McGowns Pass,about the present line of 108th St.b/wween 5th &
Lenox Aves. & ran northwesterly along the present St.Nicholas Ave.
to 169th St.;from there it followed along the present Broadway to the
Harlem River,crossing the river on the old Kings Bridge.
Kingsbridge Rand.There was a second road,known by this name which started in
the Village of Harlem,about the present Sylvian Place,b/w 3rd &
Lexington Aves.,120th & 121st Sts. & ran northwesterly to 124th St.
& Park Ave.,continuing northwesterly to 127th St.b/w Lenox &
7th Aves.,then southwesterly to a point in the block bounded by
Lenox & 7th Aves.,126th & 127th Sts.,then northwesterly to
St.Nicholas Ave.b/w 131st & 132nd Sts where it joined the
Kings Highway was one of the former names of Park Row & the Bowery.
Kings Road original name of Pearl St.b/w Franklin Square & Park Row.
Kip Street original name of Nassau St.b/w Maiden Lane & Spruce St.
Kips Bay Street was a country road which started at the Eastern Post
the present Madison Ave. & 35th St. & ran southeasterly,
crossing 2nd Ave.at 34th St. & ended at the East River
at the foot of 34th St.
Kissing Bridge was on the line of the Boston Post Road,
(intersection of present 3rd Ave. & 79th Street.)
Knapp Place was formerly in the rear of No.412 East 10th St.b/w
Avenue C & Dry Dock Street.
Koninck Street was the former name of Pine St.
Lafayette Place original name of Lafayette Street,b/w Great Jones St.
& 8th St.It was opened July 4,1826.
Lake Tour Road,formerly ran from 39th St. & Bloomingdale Road
westerly along 39th St.to 7th Ave.;then northwesterly to 9th
Av.b/w 41st & 42nd Sts.
Lamartine Place original name of West 29th St.b/w 8th & 9th Aves.
Lambert Street original name of Church St.b/w Edgar & Liberty Sts.
Laurens Street original name of West Broadway,b/w Canal & 4th Sts.
Leandert's Place was formerly in the rear of No.147 7th St.b/w Avenues A & B.
Leary Street was a former name of Cortlandt St.
Leather Street original name of Jacob St.
Lenox Place original name of 22nd St.b/w 8th & 9th Aves.
Leroy Place original name of Bleecker St.b/w Mercer & Greene Sts.
Leyden Place original name of Fourth Ave.b/w 11th & 13th Sts.
Liberty Court was formerly in the rear ofNos.4 & 6 Liberty Place.
Lispenard's,west of Hudson St.,b/w Desbrosses & Watts Sts.
Little Street original name of Cedar St.b/wBroadway
& the Hudson River.
Little Ann Street original name of Elm St.now Lafayette St.
b/w Reade & Franklin Sts.
Little Chappel Street original name of College Place (now West Broadway)
b/w Barclay & Warren Sts.
Little Division Street original name of Church St.
Little Division Street original name of Montgomery St.;
known by this name in 1766-1767.
Little Dock Street original name of Water St.b/w Broad St. & Old Slip.
Little Dock Street original name of South St.b/w Whitehall St. & Old Slip.
Little George Street original name of Spruce St.;known by this name in 1725.
Little Green Street original name of Liberty Place.
Little Queen Street original name of Cedar St.It was laid out about 1690
was known as Smith St.;known in 1728 as Little Queen St.;
known since 1793 as Cedar St.
Little Stone Street original name of Thames St.;known by this name
in 1766;known since 1791 as Thames St.
Little Water Street original name of Mission Place.
Locust Street original name of Sullivan St.
Lombard Street,Lembardy Street,were the former names of Monroe St.;
known in 1791 M Rutgers St.;name changed to Monroe St.
London Terrace original name .of the north side of 23rd St.
b/w 9th & 10th Aves.
Lorillard Place was the former name of Washington St.b/w Charles & Perry Sts.
Louisa Street,Kips Bay Farm was a country road which ran from the Eastern Post Road
about the preent Lexington Ave. & 32nd St.southeasterly,crossing 2nd Ave.
at 31st St. & ending at the East River at the foot of 30th St.
Love Lane,also called the Abingdon Road,was a country road which commenced at the
Roy Road;about the present 8th Ave. & 21st St. & ran easterly on
about the line: of the Eastern Post Road at the present 3rd Ave. & 23rd St.
Love Lane was a country road which ran from Chatham Square easterly to the
Rutgers' Farm,about the line of the present West Broadway.
Lowe's Lane was a country road which commenced at the eastern Post Road about the
present 41st St.slightly east of Lexington Ave. & ran westerly crossing the
Middle Road (5th Ave.) at 42nd St. & ending at the Bloomingdale
Road (present Broadway),b/w 43nd & 44th Sts.
Low Water Street original name of Washington St.
b/w Battery Place & West Houston St.
Low Water Street original name of Water Street b/w Broad & Wall Sts.
Lower Pearl Street, The home of Jacob LEISLER, a well intentioned
German, by lack of tack had produced enemies among the more influential.
Following a noisy demonstration outside his house in the Strand
(lower Pearl St)was made commander of the fort and custom house by a
"Committee of Safety" until orders were recieved from King William.
When the King's governor sent an officer, demanding verbally
Leisler's surrender, Leisler refused without a written order from the
King himself.Leisler was arrested, convicted of murder and treason
and hanged.In 1698, Parliment annuled these charges, thus saving his
honor but not his life.
Lower Robinson Street,former name of Robinson Street.
Ludlow Place original name of West Houston St.b/w Sullivan & Macdougal Sts.
Lumber Street original name of Trinity Place b/w Morris & Liberty Sts.
Lumber Street original name of Monroe St.
Maagde Paetge (Maidens Path) was the name of Maiden Lane during the time of the Dutch.
Madison Court was formerly in the rear of No.219 Madison St.
Maiden Lane was a country lane in the block now bounded by Broadway,
Amsterdam Ave.,160th & 161st Sts.
Magazine Street original name of Pearl St.b/w Park Row & Broadway.
Manhattan Avenue original name of 5th Ave.
Manhattan Road was a country road which commenced at the Kingsbridge Road;
about the present Lexington Ave. & 121st St. & ran southwesterly
to a point in the block bounded by Park & Madison Aves.,118th
& 119th Sts.,then northwesterly,crossing 5th Ave.at 119th St.,
6th Ave.b/wween 120th & 121st Sts.,7th Ave.b/w 121st & 122nd
Sts.to a point on the north side of 122nd St.about 200 ft.east of 8th
Ave.,then southwesterly to 8th Ave.about one-half way
b/w 121 st & 12 2nd Sts.
Mansfield Place original name of West 51st St.b/w 8th & 9th Aves.
Margaret Street original name of Cherry St.
Margaret Street original name of Willett St.
Maria Street,Kips Bay Farm,was the name of a country road which started from a
point in the block bounded by 2nd & 3rd Aves.,29th & 30th Sts.,
& ran southeasterly to the East River b/w 28th & 29th Sts.
Marian Street original name of Clevel & Place & Lafayette
St.b/w Broome & Prince Sts.
Market Street original name of South William St.
Marketfield Street original name of Battery Place
b/w Broadway & Hudson River.
Marketfield Street, was known as Petticoat Lane. The first
church devoted exclusively to the French was here,
later this site was covered by the Produce Exchange.
* Martha St.
Martin Terrace original name of East 30th St.b/w 2nd & 3rd Aves.
Mary Street original name of Christopher St.b/w Greenwich Ave. & Waverly PI.
Mary Street original name of Baxter St.b/w Leonard & Gr & Sts.
Mary Street original name of Clevel & PI. & Lafayette St.
b/w Broome & Prince Sts.
Meadow Street original name of Gr & St.b/w Broadway & Sullivan St.
Mechanics Alley formerly ran from No.72 Monroe St.south to Cherry
St.b/w Market & Pike Sts.;now the site of the Brooklyn
Mechanics Place formerly ran from the east side of Avenue A,b/w 2nd & 3rd Sts.
Mechanics Place formerly ran-in the rear of Rivington St.b/w Lewis & Goerck Sts.
Meek's Court was formerly in the rear of 55 Broad St.
Merchants Court was in the rear of No.48 Broad St.
Merchants Place formerly ran in the rear of No.28 Avenue A b/w 2nd & 3rd Sts.
Merchant Street original name of Beaver St.
Mesier's Alley was the former name of Cuyler's Alley.
Middle Road was a country road which started at the Eastern Post Road,about
the present 4th Ave.,b/wween 28th & 29th Sts & ran northwesterly,
crossing Madison Ave.at 35th St.At 5th Ave. & 42nd St.
(Burr's Corners) it turned northerly along the line of 5th Ave.to
90th St.where it terminated at the Eastern Post Road.
Middle Street original name of'Monroe St.from Montgomery to Corlaer Sts.
Mill Lane runs from South William St.to Stone St.Opened 1657.
Mill Street original name of Stone St.
Mill Street original name of South William St.b/w Broad & Mill Lane.
Miller Place was formerly in the rear of No.4 Macdougal St.
Milligan Place was formerly in the rear of No.139 6th Ave.b/w 10th & 11ith Sts.
Millward Place was formerly the name of West 31 st St.b/w 8th & 9th Aves.
Mission Place,formerly Little Water St.
Mitchell Place original name of the north side of East 49th St.
b/tw 1st Ave. & Beekman Place.
Monroe Place original name of Monroe St.b/w Montgomery & Gouverneur Sts.
Monument Lane was a country road leading to Greenwich Village.It started at the
Bowery & Astor Place & ran easterly,then northeasterly,following
the present Greenwich Ave.which is a part of the old road; & ended
at Gansevoort St.
Moore's Row was formerly b/w Catherine & Market Sts. & ran from
Henry to Madison Sts.
Mortkile Street (Moord Kuyl Straat) original name of Barclay St.
Morton Street original name of Clarkson Street b/w Varick & Hudson Sts.
Mott''s Lane;see Hopper's Lane.
Muddy Lone,former name of Mill St.
Mustary Street original name of Mulberry St.b/w Park Row & Park St.
Near Burke's,Spring St.near Hudson St.
Neilson Place original name of Mercer St.b/w Waverly Place & 8th St.
New Bowery,The,from the southerly side of Chatham Square to Franklin Square (Pearl St.).
New Dutch Church Street,name sometimes given to Crown St.
New English Church Street,a former name of Beekman.St.
New Street original name of Nassau St.
New Street original name of Staple St.
Nicholas Street was the former name of Walker St.b/w Canal St. & West Broadway.
Nieuw Straat was the Dutch name of New Street.
North Street original name of East Houston St.b/w the Bowery & the East River;
name was changed in 1833.
N.R.Furnace,foot of Hubert St.
Nyack Place was formerly in the rear of No.31 b/whune St.
Oak Street,former name of Rutgers St.
Oblique Road,now Marketfield St.
Ofden Street original name of Perry St.
Old Dutch Church Street,now Exchange Place.
Old Street was former name of Mott St.b/w Park Row & Park St.
Old Kill Road;see Southampton Road.
Old Windmill Lane;see Windmill Lane.
Oliver Street original name of Spring St.b/w the Bowery & Broadway.
Orange Street original name of Cliff St.
Orchard Street original name of Broome St.west of Broadway.
Otters Alley formerly ran from Thompson to Sullivan Sts.b/w Broome & Gr & Sts.
Oyster Pasty Alley (Lane) original name of Exchange Alley;
was also known as Tin Pot Alley.
Pacific Place was formerly in the rear of No.133 West 39th St.
Paisley Place,row of workshops of Scottish weavers in West 17th St.
Park Avenue at Thirty-Seventh Street,A mansion stood on the
"Middle Road", a short cut from the lower
Post Road to the northern Kingsbridge section. It was owned by
Robert Murray, a wealthy Quaker merchant. Murray's wife, a former
Philadelphia belle, was a clever as she was charming.
Following the Battle of Long Island, Gen Putnam passed by in full
retreat. Later, a far superior British force reached the house.
Mrs Murray, reconizing Lord Howe as their leader, suggested that he
and his officers pause a moment for refreshment. Having been a
long hot march they gladly agreed. He was so charmingly entertained
that by the time the march was resumed,"Old Put" and his men
were safe at Harlem Heights.Mrs Murray made history.
The Grand Central R.R.Station now covers Murray's cornfield.
Park Street original name of Park Row b/w Ann & Beekman Sts.
Partition Street was the former name of Fulton St.b/w Broadway to the
Hudson River;east of Broadway this street was called Fair St.
Passage Place original name of Peck Slip.
Patchm Place was an alley in the rear of No.111 West 10th St.
Pearl Street, 1644, near the juntion of present Pearl & Whitehall Sts,
Tryntje JONAS had her little house, just behind the home of her
famous daughter, Annetje Jans Bogardus.Tryntje was one of the first
medical women to practice her profession in Manhattan.
Pearl Street, Once Queen Street.(1695)The palatial mansion of
Col. Abraham De Peyster was built here. Some of it's rooms were
40 ft deep. The grouds covered an entire city block.
Peck Slip at Pearl Street, Abt 1664 anyone wishing to be ferried
across the East River could blow a blast on a long metal horn,
suspended from a tree, growing close to the waters edge
(today Peck Slip at Pearl).Hearing the blast Harmanus van BORSUM,
the ferryman would gladly leave his work in a nearby field field,
unfasten the boat and for abt 6 cents each, row the waiting
customers across the river.
Penn Street original name of Pell St.
Perry Street,formerly Ogden St.
* Peter St.
Petersfield Street was a country road on the Stuyvesant Farm;it started
about the present 4th Ave.b/w 11th & 12th Sts.;crossing
3rd Ave.b/w 12th & 13th Sts.,2nd Ave.b/w 13th & 14th Sts.,
1st Ave.at 15th St. & ended in the center of the block
bounded by 1st Ave.,Ave.A,15th & 16th Sts.
Petticoat Lane original name of Marketfield St.;it was known
by this name in 1791.
Pieter Jansen's Lane, Old Windmill Lane.
Pine Street, In 1704 was known as King Street.
Pitt Street original name of Elm St.(now Lafayette St.)
b/w Hester & Spring Sts.is known by this name in 1797.
Pleasant Aveme,former name of Avenue A.
Potters Hill,former name of Park St.
Prince Street original name of Rose St.;known by this name in 1766.
Princess Street original name of Beaver St.b/w William & Wall Sts.
During the time of the Dutch it was known as Prinsen Straet.
Prospect Street original name of Thompson St.
Provost Street original name of Franklin St.;
known by this name in 1797 known as Sugar Loaf St.in 1807.
name changed to Franklin St.in 1833.
Pump Street original name of Canal St.It was known by this name in 1797.
Pye Woman's Lane,Pie Woman's Lane,original name of
Nassau St.b/w Wall St. & Maiden Lane.
Quay Street original name of Water St.b/w Whitehall St. & Coenties Slip.
Queen Street original name of Pearl St.b/w Wall St. & Park Row.
This street was known by various names at different periods;
known in 1617 as Pearl St.; & in part Hoogh Straet &
the Waal;in 1691 as Dock St.; & Great Queen St.;
in 1728 as Queen St. & since 1797 " Pearl St.
Queen Street original name of Pine St.;was known by this
name in 1691;known as King St.in 1728;name changed to
Pine St.in 1794.
Queene Street original name of Cedar St.b/w William & West Sts.
Quick Street original name of East Broadway.
Raisan Street;see Reason St.
Randall Place original name of West 9th St.b/w Broadway & University PI.
Reason Street original name of Barrow St.
b/w Bleecker & Bedford Sts.;name changed in 1828.
Renwick Street original name of Baxter St.b/w Canal & Gr & Sts.
Republican Alley,former name of Manhattan Place,from Elm
(Lafayette) to Reade St.
Rhinelander Alley formerly ran from Greenwich to Washington Sts.
b/w Beach & Hubert Sts.
Rhinelander Lane was a country road which ran from the Hell Gate
Ferry Road at the present 2nd Ave.b/w 86th & 87th Sts.
northeasterly to the south side of 90th St.b/w 1st Ave. & Ave.A.
Rider Street,Ridder Street,original name of Ryder's Alley.
Riker's Lane was a country road which ran from the Eastern Post Road,
about the present 3rd Ave. & 76th St. & ran southeasterly,
ending at the East River b/wween 74th & 75th Sts.
Rivington Place was formerly in the rear of No.316 Rivington St.
Robinson Street,original name of Park Place.
Roosevelt Lane was a country road which ran from the Old Harlem Road,
bout the present Lexington Ave.b/w 116th & 117th Sts.
southeasterly, crossing 3rd Ave.at 115th St.,2nd Ave.at
112th St.,then northwesterly to a point in the middle of the block
bounded by 1st & 2nd Aves.,114th & 115th Sts.,then south-
easterly to the Harlem River b/w 110th & 111th Sts.
Rose Hill Lane,formerly ran from 8th Ave b/w 21st & 22nd Sts easterly
b/w 21st & 22nd Sts.,then northeasterly to 23rd St. & 3rd Ave.
Rotten Row, Rough Street,Ruff Street,were the former names of Henry St.
Roy Rand,Fitzroy Road,was a country road which ran north from
Greenwich Village;it started at i the Southampton Road about the
present 14th St.,b/w 7th & 8th Aves.,& ran northwesterly
crossing 8th Ave.at 22nd St.,then north,parallel with & a little
west of 8th Ave. & ending at a cross road about the present 42nd St.
midway b/w 8th & 9th Aves.9th Ave.was closed from 23rd
to 42nd Sts.on Oct.26,1832.
Rosylyn Place original name of Greene St.b/w West 3rd & West 4th Sts.
Rudder Street original name of Ryder's Alley.
Russell Place original name of Greenwich Avenue b/w Charles & Perry Sts.
Rutgers' Hill original name of Gold St.b/w Maiden Lane & John St.
Rutgers' Place original name of Monroe St.b/w Clinton & Jefferson Sts.
Rutgers' Street original name of Oak St.;known by this name in 1755.
Ryder's Alley formerly called Eden's Alley.
Ryndert Street,Rindert Street,original name of Centre St.
b/w Canal & Broome St.;known in 1797 as Potters Hill;
known in 1807 " Collect St.;known in 1817 as Ryndert St.
Sackett Street original name of Cherry St.
St.Clamment's Place original name of Macdougal St.b/w Houston & Bleecker Sts.
St.David Street was one of the former names of Bleecker St.
St.Hevins Street original name of Broome St.b/w Broadway & Hudson St.;
was known in 1751 as St.Hevins St.;known in 1766 as Bullock St.;
known in 1797 in part as Bullock St. & in part as William St.and
in part as Orchard St.; known since 1807 as Broome St.
St. Johns Strut wa the former name of John St.
St. Marks Place original name of East 8th St.
St.Nicholas Street original name of Walker St.b/w Canal St. & West Broadway.
St.Nicholas Street original name of Canal St .b/w Walker St. & the Bowery.
St. Peters Place was the former name of Church St.b/w Vesey & Barclay Sts.
Sand Hill Road,formerly called the "old highway" & a later name for
Gerritsen's Wagon Way.
Schaape Waytie (The Sheep Pasture) was the Dutch name of Broad St.
b/w Beaver & Wall Sts.
Scott Street original name .of West 12th St.b/w Greenwich Ave. &
Hudson St.;was also known as Troy St. & Abingdon Place.
Scott's Alley formerly ran south from No.71 Franklin St.to White St.
Second Street original name of Greene St.
Second Street original name of Forsythe St.
Seventh Street original name ofMacdougal St.
Seventh Street Place was a short alley,seven houses long,in the
rear of No.185, 7th St.
Sheera Street,b/w Bowling Green & Wall Streets.
Shinbone Alley original name of Washington Mews;was
also known as Washington Alley.
Shinbone Alley ,b/w Lafayette & Bond Streets.
Sixth Street original name of Sullivan St.
Sixth Street original name of Waverly Place,b/w Broadway & Macdougal St.
Sixth Street original name of Ludlow St.It was known by this name in 1797.
Skinner Road original name of Christopher St.
Skinner Street original name of Cliff St.b/w Ferry & Hague Sts..
known by this name in 1755,known since 1791 as Cliff St.
Slaughter House Lane, Slaughter House Street,Slaat Lane,were the
former names of Beaver St.b/w William & Pearl Sts.;
name changed to Beaver St.Dec.25,1825.
Sloaf,south of Wall,fromWilliam St.to Hanover Sq.Now obliterated.
Slyck Steegh ("Dirty Lane") was the Dutch name of a lane which was afterwards
widened & is now South William St.In 1657 known as
Slyck Steegh; in 1674 Mill Street Lane;in 1691,Mill Lane.
Smell Street Lane original name of Broad St.b/w Exchange Place & Wall St.
Smith Court was a short alley which formerly ran from Congress St.
Smith Street,Smee Straet,Smeedes Straet,Smit Street,were the former names of
William St.b/w Wall & Pearl Sts.
Smith Street original name of Cedar St.b/w William & Wcst Sts.;
known in 1691 as Smith St.; known in 1728 as Little Queen St.;
known since 1794 " Cedar St.
Smith Street original name of East Broadway.
Smith Street Lane original name of Beaver St.b/w William & Broad Sts.
Smith Street Valley,Smith's Valt,Smith's Valley,Smith's Vly,were the former
names of Pearl St.b/w Wall St. & Peck Slip.
Southamptan Road,Great Kill Road,was the principal road leading north
from Greenwich Village.It started at Gansevoort St., this street
part of the original road;from the present easterly end of
Gansevoort St.it ran northeasterly,crossing 8th Ave.at 14th St.,
7th Ave. b/w 15th & 16th Sts.,6th Ave.at 17th St.,then running
northerly,just east of 6th Ave. & ending at Love Lane,.about the
present 21st St.a little east of 6th Ave.
South Fifth Avenue original name ot West Broadway
b/w Canal St. & Washington Sq.
Spencer Place original name of West 4th St.b/w Christopher & West 10th Sts.
Spingler Place original name of East 15th St.b/w Broadway & 5th Ave.
Stadt Huy Lane was the Dutch name of Coenties Alley.
Staggtown formed an independent community in the vicinity of Delancey &
Attorney Streets in the first part of the nineteenth century.
Stanton Place was an alley formerly in the rear of No.6 Stanton St.
Stewart Street formerly ran from Broadway b/w 30th & 31st Sts.southwesterly
to a point in the block bounded by 6th Ave. & 7th Ave.,28th & 29th Sts.
Stillwell's Lane was a country road which started at the Bloomingdale Road
(the present Broadway) & 87th St. & ran easterly,about 150 feet
east of Amsterdam Ave.;it turned southerly,turning again easterly
b/w 85th & 86th Sts. & ended in the present Central Park on a line
with 7th Ave. & 86th St.
Stone Bridge Street was one of the former names of Broadway.
Stone Street original name of Pearl St.
Stone Street original name of Thames St.
Stone & Broad Streets, In 1660, a stone bridge spanning the canal
where today Stone St.reaches Broad, was a busy spot.From the fort,
at Bowling Green one walked through Stone St. crossing the bridge
continued along Pearl (the called Perel Straat) which skirted the
East River, then through the "Water Gate" in the stockade at Wall St.
and eventually reached the ferry landing.(now Peck's Slip),from where
one could cross the East River to Breukelen(Brooklyn).Strand,
The,was the name of the north side of Pearl St. b/w Broad St.
& Old Slip;was known by this name when Pearl St.was
fronting on the East River.
Striker's Lane;see Hopper's Lane.
Steuben Street formerly ran from the Eastern Post Road & 41st St.northwesterly
to the Albany Road b/w 43rd & 44th Sts.
Stvyvesant Place original name of 2nd Ave.b/w 7th & 10th Sts.
Stvyvesant Street.The present street of this name,whicn now ends at 2nd Ave.,
formerly continued northeasterly,crossing 1st Ave.b/w 12th & 13th Sts.,
Ave.A at 14th St.,& ended at the East River about the present 15th St.
b/w Avenues A & B.
Sugar Loaf Street original name of Franklin St.b/w Broadway & Baxter St.;
was known by this name in 1807.
Suice Straat was the Dutch name of William St.
Susan Street was a country road in the Kips Bay Farm.It ran from the Eastern Post Road
the present Lexington Avenue,b/w 38th & 39th Sts.southeasterly,crossing
38th St.b/w 2nd & 3rd Aves. & ending at the East River b/w 38th & 39th Sts.
Tenth Avenue,A farmhouse, near the Hudson's shore was in
1773 the home of Jacob HARSEN and his bride, Catherine COZINE HARSEN.
They were first cousins and as infants had slept in the same cradle when
their mothers, Jannetje DYCKMANN COZINE and Rachel HARSEN had been
visiting each other.At this farmhouse the Reformed Protestant Dutch
Church of Harsenville was organized. This hamlet was in the
Bloomingdale neighborhood and was named after Jacob Harsen's uncle.
Theatre Alley,b/w Ann & Beekman Streets.
Third Street original name of Wooster St.
Third Street original name of Eldridge St.
Thomas Street original name of Duane St.b/w Elm & Rose Sts.
Thomas Street original name of Pearl St.b/w Broadway & Park Row.
Thomas Street original name of William St.b/w Frankfort & Pearl Sts.
Thomas Street original name of Thames St.
Thomas Street & Broadway,In 1730, Anthony RUTGERS built a
"prodigiously fine dwelling" near the corner of
Thomas & Broadway.This was way out of town and Broadway
ended some distance south of the hill upon which the house stood,
owing to the fact that an inaccessible swamp extended across the
island from Collect Pond to the Hudson. Being granted the swamp
he drained it, it gave him fine farmland. After his death in
1750, the land was called Lispenard's Meadow, his married
daughters name. After 1773 it was replaced by New York Hospital.
Thompson's Court was an alley which formerly ran from No.363 Rivington St.
Tienhoven Street original name of Liberty St.;known in 1691 as Crown St
name changed to Liberty St.in 1794.
Tienhoven Street original name of Pine St.
Tin Pot Alley original name of Exchange Alley;
was also known as Oyster Pasty Alley.
Third Avenue & Sixty-Fifth,In 1770, the "Sign of the Dove"
appeared on the old Post Road. 2 yrs later a stagecoach line
to and from Boston would be traveling this road. The first
vehicles called stage wagons were box like, accomodating 11
passengers and the driver.
Thompkin's Place original name of East 10th St.b/w Greenwich Ave.
& the Hudson River.
Torb/w Street was a country road on the Rutgers' Farm;it ran from Henry to Madison Sts.
b/w Catherine & Market Sts.
Troy Street original name of West 12th St.
b/w Greenwich Ave. & the Hudson River.
Tulip Street was a country road on the Glass House Farm.It ran from 34.th St.
b/w 10th & 11th Aves.southerly to a point in the block bounded
by 9th & 10th Aves.b/w 32nd & 33rd Sts.
Turin Lane was a country road which ran from the Bloomingdale Road (Broadway)
b/w 93rd & 94th Sts & ran easterly,ending at the Eastern Post Road,
about the present 96th St.
Tuyn Straat was the name given to the present Exchange Place by the Dutch.
Tryon Row formerly ran from Centre St.to Park Row on the ground now
occupied by the south end of the Municipal Building.
Union Court was formerly on University Place b/w 12th & 13th Sts.
Union Furnace,S.E.corner Broadway & Howard St.
Union Place original name of the west side of 4th Ave.,and
the east side of Broadway b/w 14th & 17th Sts.
Union Road formerly ran from the Skinner Road,in the block bounded
by 5th & 6th Aves.,11th & 12th Sts.,northwesterly to the
Southampton Road at 7th Ave. & 15th Sts.
Union Street original name of Greene St.
Upper Broadway,In 1750, the Blue Bell Tavern stood on the corner
of present 181st St.& Broadway, which was then the
Kingsbridge Road. It was 9 miles north of the city, so
travelers reaching the tavern late afternoon usually
spent the night. During the Revolution much fighting
went on in the area,with Fort Washington only a short
distance away to the north.
Van Bruggen Street was the former name of Pine St.
Van Clyff''s Street,former name of east part of John St.
Vandercliffe's Street,now Gold St.
Van Nest Place original name of Charles St.b/w 5th & Bleecker Sts.
Varick Place original name of Sullivan St.b/w Houston & Bleecker Sts.
Varick Street,St. John's an architectural product of
John McComb Jr. It overlooked Hudson Square, later called
St. John's Park, one of New York's beauty spots.Smart carriages
drew up before the stately mansions which surrounded the park,
and fashionably gowned ladies with distinguished escorts would
promenade along its gravel walks. Sadly, progress marched on,
turning mansions into tenements, boarding houses and storage garages.
The church, the last to go, was demolished in 1918, and today only
memories and street names remain.
Vauxhall,Broadway & Bowery,from 4th St.to Astor Place.
Verdant Lane: also called Feitner's Lane;was a country road
which started at the Bloomingdale Road (Broadway)
b/w 45th & 46th Sts.,& ran northwesterly,
crossing 8th Ave.b/w 46th & 47th Sts.,9th Ave.b/w 47th & 48th Sts
10th Ave.b/wween 48th & 49th Sts.11th Ave.b/w 49th & 50th Sts
& ended at the Hudson River b/w 49th & 50th Sts.
Village Street original name of West Houston St.b/w Macdougal St.
& the East River.
Walker Street original name of Canal St.b/w Baxter & Ludlow Sts
Walnut Street original name of Jackson St.
Wall & Nassau Streets,When New York was the Nation Capitol,
George Washington opened Congress (1789) with pomp and formality.
Both houses of Congress were assembled in joint session and
Washington delievered his message in person. After he stepped
into his waiting coach, drawn by 6 horses and drove away,
preceeded by 2 mounted officers in full dress uniforms,
followed by his secretary and two other gentlemen.
Wall & Pearl Streets, In 1664, the "Water Gate" at the present
Wall & Pearl Sts, was the most important point of entry in
the barricade which guarded the northern boundary of the town.
Every night at 8, the watchmen were called out and at 9 a
bell was rung as a signal to close all the city gates.At 10
every tavern was closed & no more customers were
admitted. Any customers already in a tavern at this hour were not
allowed to leave, but had to stay there until the signal for the
opening of the city gates the following morning at daybreak.
Wall & Water Streets,The coffee berry was sold in New York as early
as 1683, but there is no mention of a coffee house until
1705 but in 1743,the Merchants' Coffee House appeared ,
at the corner of Wall & Water Streets, then the shore line
region known as Coffee House Slip.The coffee house enteratined
such organizations as the NY Hospital,Chamber of Commerce,
and the Society of Cinncinatti. Also a group who had organized
the New York Stock Exchange in May 1792, used atable under a
tree in front of No.60 Wall St.,deciding to make the old coffee
house their headquarters. They were known as the traders
"under the Buttonwood Tree".
Warren Place original name of Charles St.b/w Greenwich Ave.
& Waverly Place.
Warren Road was a country road in Greenwich Village which ran from the
Southampton Road to Love Lane,from the present 16th
to 21st Sts.b/w 6th & 7th Aves.
Warren Street original name of Clinton St.
Washington Alley original name of Washington Mews.
Washington Place,formerly 5th St.
Washington Square, In 1732 this was farm country. A creek
which the Dutch called Minetta Water, crossed it toward the
southewest. To the west was Bossen Bouwerie (later Greenwich Village)
and to the east, Bouwerie Lane, Peter Stuyvesant's mansion and
adjoining Dutch hamlet.5th Ave was opened in 1837 and some years
before the old Potter's Field had been transformed into
aristocratic Washington Square.
Washington Street original name of Jefferson St.
Weasver Street original name of Vesey St.
Weehawken Street,from Christopher to Amos Street.
Weigh Hwse Street,now Moore St.
Wendel Street original name of Oak St.
Wesley Place original name of Mulberry St.b/w Houston & Bleecker Sts.
West Avenue;see Albany Road.
West Broadway Place original name of West Broadway b/w Canal & Gr & Sts.
West Court was formerly in the rear of No.66 West 22nd St.
West Road,was once the name of 6th Ave.
Whitehall Street In 1638, Dominie Everardus BOGARDUS and his
wife Widow Annetje Jans, occupied the house here.
Earlier in 1633, he had brought about the building of the first
church ediface in the town & had been it's pastor.Following his
marriage, he came into control of the widow's valuable 62 acre farm,
adjoining the Company's Bouwerie
White Place was formerly in the rear of No.134 West 18th St.
White Street original name of Ann St.
William Street original name of Broome St.b/w the Bowery & Sullivan St.;
was known by this name in 1797.
William Street original name of West 4h St.b/w Christopher &
West 15th Sts.;known by this name in 1807.
William Street original name of Madison St.b/w Catherine & Montgomery Sts.
Willow Street original name of Macdougal St.
Winckel Straat was a short street running north from Bridge St.just east
Whitehall St.It was closed in 1680.
Windmill Lane was a former name of Cortlandt St.;known by this name in 1782.
Winne (or Wynne) Street original name of Mott St.b/w
Pell & Bleecker Sts.Known by this name in 1755.
Winthrop Place original name of Greene St.b/w Waverly Place & West 8th St.
Wooster Street original name of West Houston St.b/w Broadway & Macdougal St.
Wooster Street original name of University PI.b/w Waverly Pl. & West 14th St.
Wynkoop Street original name of Bridge St.
Excepts from the following:
According to the bk "In Olde New York"
Copyright renewed 1922 and reprinted April 2000.
Has been reprinted and available for purchase.
A wonderful source for Manhattan seraching.
The land that Trinity Church is on was the farm lnds of
Leonard LISPENARD. The farm to which this related was a portion of
the estate that was known to successive generations as the Duke's
Farm, the Kings"s Farm, the Queens's Farm and finally when it became
by gift the property of finally the English Church-as the Church Farm.
Lispenard's holdings, of wgich he was the lessee from Trinity, was
styled specifically the Dominie's BOUERIE, or the Dominie's Hook,
and was a considerable property lying b/w the North River and a bit
of Swamp where now is West Broadway.
The southern line of the farm was close upon present Reade St.
extending to the southern edge of the wide valley thru which
discharged lazily into the Hudson the stream from the Collect, or
Fresh Water Pond..
Where that stream then was, Canal Street is now.
"Great Queen's Farm" was originally the Company's Farm, set aside
by the Dutch for the hands of the Company.Upon the English conquest
this became the private property of the Duke of York.,
Duke's Farm.Later in 1670, by purchase from the estate of
Annetje Jans. When the Duke ascended to the throne, it became known
as The Kings Farm. and The Queen's Farm upon the assension of
Queen Anne.In this last reign 1705, then Gov. Lord CORNBURY,
granted the entire estate to the English Church on the
"Island of New York".
On the Line of Monument Lane or Greenwich Lane, lay Potter's Field,
a part of which is Washington Square. In 1794 it was established at
the junction of the Post Road & Bloomingdale Rd, on land now a part
of Madison Square, but this site was abandoned 3 years later because
the United States Arsenal was erected here, and partly because it was
an intrusion of pauper graves upon the fashionable drive.
In 1797 the move was made to the northside of the lane at abt foot
of the present %th Ave., until 1823.It was not strictly a pauper's
graveyard, a fact that was demonstrated when by the unearthing of
tombstones(which paupers could not afford) while excavations were
in progress, in the summer of 1890, for the Washington Arch.
The tombstones disappeared .
Sailor's Snug Home was originally the estate of ELIOT, which later
was owned by Capt. Robert Richard RANDALL and bequeathered to him
for the home. June 1, 1801.
The estate was north of Greenwich Lane, extending from the
Bowery across to abt the easterly line of present 5th Ave.
Comprised of 21 acres and also 2 to 3 lots in the 1st Ward.
A gallows was set up near the present Washington Arch.
"As You Pass By"
Kenneth Holcomb Dunshee
Hastings House,New York
* These streets ran north & south adjoining Houston Street on the extreme
eastern side of the island.
**** This is a wonderful book.It is out of print,the original publisher
has been sold ten times over & has no record of the book or the author.
It's a shame because it has a wealth of info.I purchased my copy from an
'Old used Bkstore' thru the internet.Prices ranged for the copies he had
from $5.00 thru $30.00.
The Streets of Old New York
J. Ernest Brierly
Back To MANHATTAN Main
Back To BROOKLYN Main