38th NYSV.  They were a 2 year regiment - 
looks like seven companies from a variety of places including New York City.  
And they fought in some nasty places in their 2 year service.  

(Two Years) 

Thirty-eighth Infantry.-Cols., J. H. Hobart Ward, James C. 
Strong, Regis De Trobriand; Lieut.-Cols., Addison Farnsworth, 
James C. Strong, James D. Potter, Robert F. Allison; Majs., James 
D.  Potter, William H. Baird, Augustus Funk, George H. Starr, 
Francis Jehl.

The 38th, the 2nd Scott's Life Guard, composed of seven companies 
from New York city, one from Geneva, one from Horseheads and one 
from Elizabethtown, was mustered into the U. S. service at New 
York city, June 3 and 8, 1861, for two years, and left the state 
for Washington on the 19th.

It went into camp on Meridian hill until July 7, when it was 
ordered to Alexandria and assigned to the 2nd brigade, 3d 
division, Army of Northeastern Virginia, and was active at the 
first battle of Bull Run, where it lost 128 in killed, wounded 
and missing.

During August and September the regiment was employed in 
construction work at Forts Ward and Lyons in Howard's brigade, 
and in October was assigned to Sedgwick's brigade, Heintzelman's 
division.  The winter camp was established in Oct., 1861, on the 
old Fairfax road and occupies until March, 1862, when, with the 
2nd brigade, 3d division, 3d corps, the regiment embarked for 
Fortress Monroe.

It participated in the siege of Yorktown; the battle of 
Williamsburg, where the loss of the command was 88 in killed, 
wounded and missing; shared in the engagement at Fair Oaks, and 
in the Seven Days' battles, after which it encamped at Harrison's 
landing until Aug. 15.

From there it moved to Yorktown and Alexandria; was active at the 
second Bull Run and Chantilly; reached Falmouth on Nov. 25, and 
at Fredericksburg, lost 133 members killed, wounded and missing.  
On Dec. 22, 1862, the regiment received the addition of four 
companies of the 55th N. Y., which were added to the six 
companies of the 38th formed by consolidation of the regiment on 
Dec. 21.

It participated in the "Mud March;" returned to camp near 
Falmouth; engaged in the Chancellorsville campaign; was then 
stationed at Acquia Creek until the troops started for New York 
on June 4 and was mustered out at New York city, on the 22nd.  
The three years men were transferred to the 40th N. Y. infantry, 
of which regiment they became Cos. A, E and H.  The total 
strength of the regiment was 796 and it lost 75 by death from 
wounds and 46 from other causes.

Source:  The Union Army, Vol. 2, p. 75

New York
Second Scott's Life Guard.
(Two Years)

     This regiment, Col. J. H. Hobart Ward, was accepted by the
State May 25, 1861; organized at New York city and mustered in
the United States service at East New York for two years, June
3 and 8 (Company I), 1861.  The 18th Militia furnished men for
one company.  In September, 1861, ninety-seven men of the 4th
Me. Volunteers were assigned to the regiment.  December 21,
1862, the regiment was consolidated into six companies, A, B,
C, D, E and F, and the same day the 55th N.Y. Volunteers,
consolidated into four companies, joined by transfer, forming
new Companies G, H, I and K of the regiment.  June 3, 1863, the
three years' men of the regiment, all in the four companies G,
H, I and K, were transferred to the 40th Infantry, and became
Companies A, E and H of the latter.

     The original companies were recruited principally: A, B,
C, D and F in New York city; E in Westchester county; G in
Westchester and Dutchess counties; H at Geneva and in the
county of Ontario; I at Horse heads; and K at Elizabethtown.

     The regiment left the State June 19, 1861; served at
Washington, D.C., from June 21, 1861; in 2d Brigade, 3d
Division, Army of Northeastern Virginia, from July 13, 1861; in
Howard's Brigade, Division of Potomac, from August 4, 1861; in
Sedgwick's Brigade, Heintzelman's Division, Army of the
Potomac, from October 15, 1861; in 2d, Birney's, Brigade, 3d,
Hamilton's, Division, 3d Corps, Army of the Potomac, from
March 3, 1862; in 2d Brigade, 1st Division, 3d Corps, Army of
the Potomac, from July, 1862; and was honorably discharged and
mustered out, under Col. James C. Strong, June 22, 1863, at
East New York.

Source: Phisterer, p. 2,173


     Colonel Augustus Funk received authority, June 23, 1863,
to reorganize the 38th Infantry, just mustered out, as a three
years' regiment.  This reorganization was not effected and the
efforts to do so were discontinued October 14, 1863; the men
enlisted being transferred to the 17th Veteran Infantry.

Source: Phisterer, p. 2,187