enter name and hit return
THE EASTERN DISTRICT of BROOKLYN
Was Charles Place, then Yates Place, later Sumner Place.
John C. HECHT, soda water manufacturer, #10 Yates Place.
Named for William FLOYD, Signer of the Declaration of Independence.
J. SKLAR, surgical instruments, #133.
Philip CORELL, morocco manufacturer, #139.
Charles LUDWIK, musical instruments, #201.
William STERN & Sons, syrup manufacturers, #236.
The Wallabout & Newtown Turnpike Road extended from Sands Street to Maspeth.
The Turnpike road was replaced by Flushing Avenue.
The U.S.Naval Hospital built on the north side of the Wallabout Road at the Williamsburgh Road.
Between the hospital & Wallabout Bay were several farm houses.
The soldiers had in 1840 a burying place near the Wallabout Road.
Flushing Avenue was a very lonesome locality before the Brooklyn City Railroad Company
started the horse car line along this road.
The walls of the Navy Yard & the Naval Hospital constituted the scenery to be viewed
and Flushing Avenue was popularly known as "The Alps".
In the early days KEENAN'S stages ran from the old Log Cabin at Classon Avenue
via Flushing Avenue, Franklin Avenue, Myrtle Avenue & Fulton Street to Fulton Ferry.
Temperance Hall, East Brooklyn, was in the 1850's on Flushing Avenue opposite Taaffe Place.
Here met the East Brooklyn Accumulating Fund Association.
Valentine KESSEL Son & Co. Sales & Exchange stables, #383.
A ropewalk was at Flushing & Bedford Aves.
In the 1860's a coal yard was established on Flushing & Bedford Aves.
J. O. McDERMOTT became the owner, about 1882, he had a branch yard at
Broadway near DeKalb Avenue.
Thomas PARKER, stone dealer, #476.
Knickerbocker Hotel at Walworth St. 1850's kept by Cornelius NOSTRAND.
The 13th Police Precinct occupied the brick building at the junction of Flushing Avenue
and Whipple Street in the 1880's. This later became the 158th Precinct with a station
house at the corner of Vernon & Tompkins Aves.
Dr. Carl WITTMAN, who had practiced medicine in Williamsburgh since 1838. He resided
in the early 1880's at #686.
V. HARTMAN, stoves & heaters, #689.
The Wilson JARVIS farm, in 1840, Flushing & Throop Aves.
John M. WOLF & Co., stove repair place, #742.
W. F. ENGELHARDT, jeweler, #758.
Thomas LANE, carpenter, lived in 1840 on Newtown Road near Broadway.
William WALL, ropemaker, lived in 1842 in the same vicinity.
Albert GARDENER,tanner, lived in 1848 on Flushing Avenue near Broadway.
Farmers Home, run by Chris. HUNKEN, and later by Richard WELLENBROOK,
Old Flushing Avenue at Broadway.
The printing plant of the Brooklyn Blade, a neighborhood publication issued by J. & C. SCHAEFER,
was about 40 years ago located #792.
The Charles DeBEVOISE Farmhouse, #796-800. The extension of the farmhouse, #800 is
still standing. The house was erected in 1836.
The German Y. M. C. A. organized in 1879 at #800 in 1885 and occupied it until 1895,
when the society merged with the Eastern District branch of the Y. M. C. A., on Marcy
Avenue & South 9th St.
The city pound to which all stray animals were taken was on Flushing Avenue & Humboldt
& Morrell Streets. Felix DEVLIN was the pound master. He kept a public house
at Debevoise & Morrell Streets, which was the headquarters of the Felix DEVLIN Light Guard.
John KELLER, manufacturer of signs, #810.
John M. HEITZMAN, sign maker, #880.
Alexander WHALEY was of English descent, born in Montville in the New England
States in l746, he died at Bushwick, aged 94. During the Revolutionary War, Alexander
WHALEY'S blacksmithy and dwelling stood on the south west corner of Bushwick Avenue.
He was a staunch patriot and a personal friend of WASHINGTON. He died in 1833.
A liberty pole stood in front of his blacksmith shop.
died March 11, 1792,
married in 1749, Mary (born 1723, died 1802).
This couple's grandchild Cathaline BOGART married George Clinton WHALEY, son of Gilbert
Alexander WHALEY, who erected the first liberty pole in Bushwick.
The name BOGART is spelled BOOGARET in the old Holland family Bible printed in the Dutch language.
Peter BENNETT son of William BENNETT, settled in Bushwick about 1783.
His son, Jacob I. BENNETT (died 1840) was a carpenter by trade and captain of the militia in 1824.
He married Sophia HOPPER, (+ 1871).
Jacob I. BENNETT's son, George H. BENNETT, was born February 22, 1832.
He married Margaret M. WHALEY, daughter of George Clinton & Catharine (BOGART) WHALEY.
He resided since 1860 at 254 Berry St., Williamsburgh.
A two story house of Colonial days was in the early 1890's still standing on the northwest
corner of Flushing Avenue & Bushwick Avenue, the old time Cross Roads. It was a broad structure
with half doors and solid board shutters with half moons cut out. It had a very steep roof
like all old Dutch houses. The lower part was built of stone, the upper ends were shingled.
It stood about fifty feet back from the line of the old Newtown Turnpike. During the
Revolutionary War, it was known as RAPELYE'S Tavern.
In the early part of the 19th Century, the Bushwick town Court held sessions in this building.
At the time of Consolidation in 1855 it was known as Joseph CONSELYEA'S Headquarters.
Next to the tavern site a little dwelling which was owned by the CONSELYEA family.
The WHITTELSEY House is a similar building adjoining on the north.
WHITTELSEY'S stages and later horse cars ran from the Cross Roads to Greenpoint Ferry. The
stables of John WHITTELSEY'S stages were in the 1850's across Flushing Avenue from CONSELYEA'S
Tavern next to the corner store and extending to Monteith St. on the north side of Bushwick
Avenue. Passengers from Jamaica, East New York & Brooklyn, boarded these stages at
WHITTELSEY's Omnibus House which stood on the south side of Broadway east of Sumner Avenue where
GAUS & MILLER'S place was in later times.
The Bushwick Railroad Company (John WHITTELSEY & Son) were the successors to WHITTELSEY'S
stage line and had been authorized in 1860 to run horse cars from the Junction of
Bushwick & Myrtle Aves to Grand Street Ferry.
A DeBEVOISE House, on the north east corner of Bushwick Avenue.
John HOMEYER, feed store & tavern in this building.
On the south east corner was a drug store as early as 1880.
Cross Roads School, 22 x 24 feet, built 1815, Flushing Ave, Bushwick Avenue & DeBevoise St.
The Cook Street Methodist Episcopal Church, a little white edifice on Cook Street,
near the Cross Roads, organized in 1840. Rev. WINN was the minister at one time.
On May 20, 1891, this church united with the Cedar Street Methodist Episcopal Church.
The Cedar Street Church was sold on April 4, 1892, to the National Athletic Association.
The consolidated congregation broke ground on July 7, 1892, for their new edifice known as
Epworth Methodist Episcopal Church on DeKalb Avenue westside, just south of Bushwick Avenue.
The chapel was dedicated on March 26, 1893. The building was later sold to a motion picture
concern & later used as a garage.
P. CARNEY, 1850, a tavern at Cook Street near Morrell Street.
Frank P. SCHMITT & Co., wagon manufacturer, #915.
John MAUER & Co., painters & dealers in paints, #1012.
Metropolitan Phonograph Co., #1055.
HOFFMAN & SCHNELL, sign makers, #1080.
At Knickerbocker Avenue stood the toll gate of the Brooklyn & Newtown Turnpike Road.
In 1857, a burial ground was on the north side west of the toll house.
The Abraham VANDERVOORT House, with mansard roof, still remains on the southwest
corner of Vandervoort Place.
Andrew SAUER House #1305.
Andrew SAUER died in 1916, the last of the Bushwick farmers.
______WYCKOFF & SCHENK_____________
The Nicholas WYCKOFF House on the east side of the road #1306, built by
Nicholas WYCKOFF for the use of his son Peter, while he himself occupied the large house
In later years his son Peter resided in the large house and that became known as the
Peter WYCKOFF House.
Nicholas WYCKOFF was born in 1799, & married a daughter of General Jeremiah JOHNSON.
He died in 1883.
Peter was born in 1828 & died in 1910.
The Peter WYCKOFF farm house stands #1325 on the west side, south of Purdy Place.
The names Nicholas & Peter ran in the WYCKOFF family alternating from one generation to
The house was built in 1719 by Peter SCHENCK for his daughter who married
It was purchased by a Nicholas WYCKOFF in 1765.
In the rear of the house was the SCHENCK family burial place, which had been established
in 1724 near the SCHENCK's Mill and was in use until about 1835. In 1875 the burial
plot was 40 x 100 feet in size.
The SCHENCK Homestead stood on the bank of Maspeth Creek north of SCHENCK's Mill. The old
farm house burned down in the 40's of the 19th Century, remains of the foundation were extant
The WYCKOFF family occupied the house, #1325 during the War of the Revolution and afterwards
resided in the Manor House on the Old Woodpoint Road. The family took up their abode at #1325
again in 1814.
The barn was built in 1650, this date being cut in one of the rafters. Fire almost completely
destroyed the barn in 1700, it was however, rebuilt on the old lines. In recent years fire
again broke out in this barn and it is today a mere ruin.
The farm house itself is in a good state of preservation, a broad hall runs through the
centre of the house. An ancient grandfather's clock, but still a good time keeper, stands
in a corner of the hall. Seven large rooms are on the ground floor, a party sitting room
is on the left.
Here is a white colonial mantlepiece inlaid with tiles depicting the RAPELYE, JOHNSON
and WYCKOFF farm houses.
In the upper story are eight rooms and over these is a large garret.
The WYCKOFF farm extended from the south side railroad (running out of Bushwick Depot) to
a point beyond Ridgewood Park and from Johnson Avenue to a point near Metropolitan Avenue.
Ridgewood Park was owned by the family until 1912 when it was laid out into lots and sold
at auction. ______________________________________________________
The UNDERHILL farmhouse, #1351, was in 1857 occupied by William UNDERHILL and was
owned in 1890 by George MOTT, it has been moved back from its original site about 50 feet.
The Thomas SMITH House, #1355.
COCHRANE House, #1359.
#1351, 1355 & 1359 are beyond the Queens Co. line, town of Newtown.
The Derick COVERT farm house, #1410 east side, opposite Purdy Place and standing
with gable end to the road, was built in 1785.
Derick COVERT married Catherine, daughter of Nicholas WYCKOFF.
The house was occupied in 1857 by William COVERT.
John G. JENKINS, Sr., bought the farm in 1864 and he sold it to the WYCKOFF family.
The ONDERDONK House, #1416, is very old. The lower portion is built of stone,
the gable ends are covered with shingles.
In the early days this was the home of Frederick Van NANDA.
Moses BEEGEL married Van NANDA'S daughter and he was the owner of the farm in 1769,
after the Revolutionary War. Samuel BEEGEL was the owner.
Mrs. Ann ONDERDONK'S name as owner appears in 1852 and as late as 1884.
The WOODWARD farmhouse standing on the west side of Flushing Avenue near
Woodward Avenue, was built in 1750 and is just beyond the Queens County line.
The little red school house, Lee Avenue, now crosses Flushing Avenue.
In the forties the water used to come up to Flushing Avenue in this neighborhood around
Walworth Street. Even after the Civil War, children have rowed in boats from Flushing
to Myrtle Avenues.
Samuel WARDLE'S farmhouse, in 1842 on Classon Avenue near the Wallabout Road.
HUSTED & CARLL'S stages ran about 1850 from the Franklin Hotel at Fulton Ferry to
JOOST'S Hotel at the Wallabout.
Wm FORBUSH House, Wallabout Road in the vicinity of Classon Avenue.
Owen DALY, horse shoer, #409 Flushing Avenue.
ALEXANDER & ELLIS, lumber yard, #413 to 425.
Elihu DWIGHT, morocco manufacturer, #500.
Brooklyn City Iron Works, #526.
J. REEBER Co, 2nd hand building material & lumber, #527 Flushing & 266 Lee Avenue.
Herman SEIDEL, horse shoer, #532.
Conrad THIEL, carriage painter, #567.
John KROMER, wagon maker, #571.
James ANDERSON, horse shoer, #588.
August MATZUGA, wagon maker, #596.
A. MEURER & Co., metal dealers, #614.
Charles T BOHNSON, hay & feed store, corner Tompkins Avenue & Delmonico Place.
Christian LUHRS, awning maker, #661.
William GOELLER, window shade maker, #683.
L. KIRCHNER, office fixtures, #684.
Paul HAMPE, musical instruments, #690.
Jacob GERLINGER stoves, #700.
John PRAETZ, strap manufacturer, #710.
George SCHNEIDER, crock dealer, #728.
Adam SCHAUF, M. D physician, #730.
Gustav SCHMETZ, M. D., #734.
Jacob H. BEMKOPF, lawyer, #736.
Dr. Robert SCHMELTZER, eye specialist, #738, main office #113 State Street.
H. M. SLOAT, M. D, #742.
Mirabeau L. TOWNS,lawyer, #748.
Charles WUEST, M. D later coroner's physician, #752.
Charles REINHARDT, lawyer, #756.
E. C. REINHARDT, syphonhead manufacturer, #756.
Dr. Wm. H. SCHREIBER, dentist, #756.
Carl MULLER, wig & toupee maker, #756.
W. F. ENGELHARDT, watch maker, #758.
Alfred STOFFREGEN, photographer, #759.
Richard HEINRICH, druggist, #760.
Raimund WALLMAN, wheelwright, #810.
Edward M. WUNDEL & Son, undertakers, #817.
Michael CORDIAL, horse shoer, #923.
Iron Clad Manufacturer Co., #929.
August STRAUB, provisions, #987.
Alexander ESCHENBACH, stoneyard, #1050.
Otto KOENING, iron railing manufacturer, #1052
Joseph LIEBMAN, brewer, 1860's, Forrest St. near Bushwick Avenue 1880's, #33 Forrest Street.
Samuel LIEBMAN lived in the 1860's, Forrest Street, corner of Stanwix Street, then called Washington St. later Bremen St.
In the 1880's his brewery was #36 Forrest Street.
Henry CLAUS, 1860's, Bushwick Avenue near Forrest St.
Claus LIPSIUS Brewery, 1880's, Forrest St. between Bushwick Avenue & Stanwix St.
Named for Benjamin FRANKLIN, Signer of the Declaration of Independence.
Opened from the Wallabout Road (about Flushing to Myrtle Avenue in 1839.
It was opened to DeKalb Avenue in 1846 & laid out to Fulton St. in 1850.
James SMITH, sail makers' goods, #42.
Gutta Percha & Rubber Manufacturer Co., #53 Franklin Avenue & 515 Kent Avenue.
Myron C. RUSH, carpenter & builder, came to Brooklyn in 1867, #329.
A. C. ROGERS, stationer, #340.
Carnegie Library branch at Franklin Avenue opened, February 4,1905.
Colonel David M. STONE, born in Connecticut 1817, a resident of Brooklyn,1849.
His connection with the New York Journal of Commerce dated from that year. He was the
editor of for many years. His house #482 Franklin Avenue. The Unity Club purchased
the house in 1896, it is still standing.
John Van PELT, mason, #502.
ASHFIELD & GRIMES' Real Estate Office, #509.
PARDEO & Co., photographers, #508.
Bedford Station of the Brighton Beach & Coney Island Railroad, Franklin Avenue between
Atlantic & Pacific Streets.
Bedford Brewery on Franklin Avenue from Dean to Bergen Streets.
E. L. MELLROY, oil manufacturer, #622 Franklin Avenue.
Ridgewood Hose Co., No. 7 was stationed on Franklin St. near Calyer Street.
GILDER'S Cafe, Noble Street.
The real estate office of C. & T. PERRY, corner of Greenpoint Avenue.
A drug store established in 1855 and since 1862 owned by J. B. WINTER, #130.
Christ. SCHAEFER, provision dealer, #137.
The Greenpoint Post Office, 1855, corner Java Street.
The Merchants & Traders Bank, #144.
The Astral Library at India Street.
WATERS & CAMPBELL'S Hotel, 1850's, Huron Street.
Charles Mc CLENNON at one time kept the Greenpoint Hotel.
Poppy SMITH'S Tavern, John SMITH, Green Street and became the terminus of NEW'S stages which
ran about 1850 from Grand Street Ferry. The original price of two shillings was later reduced.
HAFFENER Real Estate, kept a shooting gallery on Franklin St.
Continental Hotel, Franklin Street.
Former BENNETT House near the river & Newtown Creek became known as John MESEROLE House.
Halletts Point & Ravenswood Turnpike, 1839, the opening door to the development of Greenpoint.
Excelsior Hook and Ladder Co. No. 4, corner Franklin & Kent Streets was organized about 1864.
Its quarters were moved to Greenpoint Avenue the following year.
BARNES & JOHNSON, flour & feed store, 1860's, Franklin Street, near Green Street.
Lucian BROWN, married Magdalen BLISS, daughter of Neziah BLISS, about 1850.
He had a hardware store, corner Franklin Street & Greenpoint Avenue. In 1856 the firm was
BLISS & BROWN, Archibald M. BLISS being the partner of BROWN.
Dr. Isaac K. SNELL, 1847, drug store, corner Franklin Street & Greenpoint Avenue,
practiced medicine here. In 1854, he was on Java Street, corner of Franklin Street. He was
the Postmaster in 1856.
Other physicians soon followed the pioneer Dr. SNELL.
Dr. William H. PEER, Franklin Street between Milton & Noble Streets.
Dr. Job DAVIS, Franklin St. near Huron Street.
Dr. William W.STARR, the first dentist, 1860's, on Java Street near Franklin Street.
David SWALM, in 1850 he opened a general store on the west side of Franklin Street
near Green Street. SWALM lived on Java Street near Manhattan Avenue.
Franklin Street was the business street of Greenpoint and the loft over SWALM'S store was used
for public assemblies.
A drug store was established in 1855, #138 Franklin Street.
J. B. WINTER became the owner in 1862. He was still there 20 years later.
The Greenpoint Hotel, 1855, corner Huron Street.
A Sunday School was organized in Greenpoint about 1844-5 in the basement of the dark TIEBOUT house
on Franklin Street. William VERNON, the first superintendent.
In 1846 the school was transferred to the loft over David SWALM'S
General store on Franklin St. near Green Street.
Tacitus GAILLARD'S, wheelwright shop, #22 Franklin Street.
Patrick SHEA, stone yard between Calyer St. & Meserole Avenue.
John A. LIBBY & Co., lubricating oil, #54.
John H. KEYSER, stoves, #35.
BURR & HOUSTON Co., iron works, #37.
Francis McFADDEN, horse shoer, #48.
Frederick WRIGHTINGTON, livery stables, #54.
DEWDNEY Bros., #80.
Mongomery QUEEN, livery stables, #85 & 87 Franklin St. & 75 Noble Street.
SPENCER & McCORMACK, livery stables #85.
Joseph WOESLY, sporting goods, #104.
B. C. LOREY, tobacconist, #118.
Germania Hall, #121.
George TREBER, livery stables, #133.
The Mechanics' & Traders' Bank, organized in 1867 was at Franklin Street & Greenpoint Avenue.
In 1890 the bank was #144 Franklin Street.
1902 the Corn Exchange Bank of Manhattan Borough established its Greenpoint Branch here.
Henry F. SCHRADER, watch maker, #169.
Augusta DREYER, stationer, #204.
Patrick HYNES, horse shoer, #218.
H. C. HARNEY & Co., iron works, corner Dupont Street.
Fred M. RANDELL, iron works, corner Dupont Street.
The ORIGON house, 1847, Franklin Street.
Franklin Chemical Works, Franklin Street. destroyed by fire, October21,1902.
Greenpoint was originally a neck of land between Newtown Creek and Bushwick Creek, which
was granted in 1645 to Dirck VOLEKERTSEN the Noorman; Dirck , a ship carpenter
by trade, lived in a stone house on the northside of and near the mouth of Bushwick Creek.
Jacobus COLYER, a brother-in-law of the MESEROLE brothers, later lived here.
It was destroyed in the 19th Century.
In 1653 Jacob HAY, who had married Christina CAPPOEUS of N.Y.C., bought from Dirck VOLEKERTSEN
about 65 acres of land lying east of a line beginning at the river near the upper end of
Franklin Street & running in a south easterly direction to the east side of where the
Police Station now stands on Greenpoint & Manhattan Avenues.
This tract comprised the
John MESEROLE farms.
He died in New York in 1685.
On May 1, 1870 Governor LOVELACE granted a confirmatory patent to Daniel JOCHEMS, who owned
a part of this tract by marriage with the widow of Jacob HAY, to whom Dirck VOLEKERTSEN
had conveyed it in 1653.
By inheritance and purchase, Captain Pieter PRAA of Newtown, who had been the second husband
of Maria HAY, a daughter of Christina CAPPOEUS, by her first husband, later became the owner of
the land conveyed by the VOLEKERTSEN patent.
The captain about 1700 built a stone house at the edge of the meadow near the north east corner
Oakland & Freeman Streets, on Freeman Street, east of Oakland Street.
Later ownd by James W. VALENTINE & by Jonathan PROVOOST, was destroyed by fire in 1832.
Pottery Beach & Pottery Hill were a favorite resort about 1870. A delightful resort for young
and old. The beach extended from Freeman to Commercial & Franklin Streets. On Sunday afternoons
the river was filled with row boats bound for the beach.
In the late 1880's all disappeared. This resort was discontinued about 1887.
An old mansion stood on the beach, Randall McDONALD moved it to India Street, between
Oakland & Provoost Streets. McDONALD'S brother-in-law drove Engine No. 5, located on India Street.
"Dutch Fred's Boathouse" was on the beach.
C. Van HOVENBURGH & Co., blue stone yard, foot of Freeman Street.
BURR, block factory, Freeman & West Streets., later, Greenpoint Bolt Works.
H. PRESTON & Co., proprietors, #63 & 65 Freeman Street.
They had an office at #499 Water St., New York City.
Gaskell GREENLIE & Co. succeeded H. PRESTON & Co., owners in 1883.
A tannery stood on Freeman Street near Oakland Street.
The Williamsburgh Yacht Club, incorporated, April 5, 1871, organized by a number of old yachtsmen
who used to gather at the Penny Bridge at Newtown Creek.
The first Commodore was L. F. MEYERREICKS.
The following year by William REXTER.
REXTER found an old scow on the beach at Pattern's Hill or Pottery Beach. This
the club brought ashore & built a house upon it in their leisure hours. In 1887 the club moved
to Steinway, Long Island, & about 1896 to Flushing Bay.
David PROVOOST, a lawyer, lived early 1850's on Freeman Street, corner
Liberty Street, his son Andrew J. PROVOOST also a lawyer.
Another early lawyer was Chauncey PERRY, Franklin Street, corner Clinton Ave,
his brother Timothy also a lawyer & the brothers formed a partnership.
Charles CARTLEDGE, porcelain factory, Freeman Street, near Franklin Street,
on Pottery Hill, just east of Pottery Beach, early as 1848.
C. HUNERHOFF, storage place, #99.
ZIMMERMAN & BIERSCHENCK, stair builders, #117.
Thomas KELLS & Son's Sawmill, #119.
Brooklyn Wire Nail Co., #128.
John P. OVERTON, pump & block manufacturer, #135.
Henry IHLENBURG, soda water, #150.
Was named for Edmund FROST who was interested in a tract of land in the 14th Ward.
The SKILLMAN House stood at #37, west of Lorimer Street.
John SKILLMAN was then the owner.
Another John SKILLMAN had been the owner during the Revoluntionary War,
he rebuilt the home in 1778, additional changes were made in course of years.
The house was torn down about 40 years ago.
The first Bethel Methodist Free Colored Church organized in 1847, was in 1851
on Frost Street, near Lorimer and moved later to Schenectady & Dean Streets.
An old farmhouse with cedar shingle covering stood on the former BLACKWELL Farm
on Frost Street, between Graham Avenue & Humboldt Street.
KEVENCY & CLARK, smelters, were #57.
J. H. WEHMHOEFFER, soda water maker, #219.
The Brooklyn & Jamaica Turnpike Road, built about 1809 on the old Ferry Road by the Brooklyn,
Jamaica & Flatbush Turnpike Co., incorporated in 1809. This was the first turnppke road built
and extended to Jericho and on the southside of the plain to Hempstead, extending further
to Smithtown in later years.
The first toll gate was at present Flatbush Avenue & Atlantic Avenue. It later replaced by
Fulton St., which also turned up Flatbush Avenue and came to an end at Atlantic Avenue.
A new street, built, 1842 from Flatbush Ave, where Fulton Street had left the straight road,
continued Fulton Street from this point, Macomber Square, to Bedford Avenue, Fulton Avenue
and forms now the continuation of Fulton Street.
However, the name Fulton Avenue is still to be seen on markers inserted on buildings
occupying corner lots.
George PATCHEN, stood near Classon Avenue surrounded by large grounds.
George S. JAMES, plumber & gas fitter, #1088.
American District Telegraph Co., #1105 & #1458.
ROGERS' Express Office, #1130.
HAMILTON'S Express, #1130.
SUPERBA Rest., Fulton St & Franklin Avenue
R. G. SUMMERS, pianos, #1192.
BREVOORT Savings Bank, #1198.
J. HARPER, N.Y.C., About 1842, a house 40' frontage on Fulton Street.
The David CODWISE House,1842, Jamaica Road near the Cripplebush Road.
STORM'S Tavern, old time road house, Jamaica Road at Bedford.
The Bedford Co., Department Store, #1203.
H. S. STYLES, general store since 1855, at #1207, sold fish, and general produce.
He erected a large brick building on this site in 1870 and continued his store in the new
quarters which he called STYLES' Hall.
In 1883 he sold the building to Henry CARSON, who had come from Ireland
in 1871 and had kept a grocery from 1875 until 1881 at Washington & Fulton Streets.
CARSON carried on the grocery business in his new building, known as CARSON'S Hall.
A. H. KING & Co., furniture & carpet, corner Bedford Avenue.
CLAGHORN'S Business College, corner Bedford Avenue.
The Flatbush Parquet Floor Co., #1218.
Nicholas BLOOM, a Dutch farm house, #1224 southside between Nostrand & Bedford
Avenues, was standing in 1766. It was rebuilt in 1787 by Charles TURNBULL and in 1791,
Leffert LEFFERTS owned it. In its last years, it had a dealer in antique furniture.
It was taken down in 1909.
The Brooklyn Automobile Co., 1905, #1239.
Abraham Van ENDEN House, Fulton Street. opposite Arlington Place, later occupied
by Benjamin HINCHMAN & J. P. BRINCKERBOFF, taken down in 1819.
Charles C. BETTS House, Jamaica Turnpike at present Nostrand Avenue.
Charles H. BETTS resided here from 1838 until 1882.
Charles W. BETTS was the next occupant.
Euclid School, #1297.
The lrving Club, organized in 1891, opened on April 28. 1892, #1318.
Embury Methodist Episcopal Church, in 1870, Fulton St. near Marcy Avenue.
B. SCHUMACHER, importer of wines & cigars since 1877, #1371.
PRENDERGAST'S Express Office #1372.
BOND GOULD & NYGREN, real estate office, #1396.
Francis M. EDGERTON, real estate & insurance office, #1403.
Ceramic Filing Co., #1404.
James A FISHER, real estate office, 1880's, #1415.
Charles B. HOLDER established a grocery about 1834 on Clinton Avenue, in the centre
of the roadway of the later Fulton Avenue, now of Fulton Street, and opposite the little
woods, called Van CLEEF'S Woods.
HOLDER moved his grocery to Waverly Avenue & Fulton Street. He started a stage line from
Clinton Avenue to Fulton Ferry in partnership with Joseph WRIGGLESWORTH. Before the stage was
started, one PLATT, residing on Clinton Avenue, had a two-seat rockaway
wagon, with Black Sam as driver. This used to be the only means of reaching Brooklyn.
Black Sam ran the wagon on Clinton & Washington Avenues to Fulton & Catherine Street ferries.
Joseph WRIGGLESWORTH sold his interest in the stage line to John YOUNG. They ran what was
called the old line with a brass plate on the stage, independent of all competition.
When Fulton Street was opened as far as Bedford Corners they moved their stables to
An Irish lad, James DOLIER, or as some called him, James BABCOCK
(He the got the name BABCOCK by working for Boss BABCOCK on the Bedford Road),
commenced by driving the stage. HOLDER made him afterwards a carter at Fulton Ferry
and he stood alongside of Seymour L. HUSTED (of HUSTED & KENDALL) his
hand at the stage door, calling to the people as every boat came in "Fulton Avenue right away up".
HUSTED calling out "Myrtle Avenue right away up". That meant 15 to 20 minutes more they had a load.
HOLDER & YOUNG sold out their line to Montgomery QUEEN,
who had run stages from East New York to Bedford Corners, but now controlled and owned the line
from East New York to Fulton Ferry.
Charles B. HOLDER built now, in 1853, the Three Mile House on the Jamaica Plank Road,
also a part of Fulton Street, at Brooklyn Avenue & lived there until he died.
It was taken down in 1913.
The Brooklyn City Railroad had formed the following year, buying HUSTED & KENDALL'S
and Montgomery QUEEN'S stage lines, the former owners becoming officials
in the new enterprise. In July 1854, 17 horse cars were in service via Fulton Street, from Fulton
Ferry to Washington Avenue.
J. F. HENDRICKSON, coal dealer, 1880's, Fulton Street & Brooklyn Avenue,
a branch at Spencer Street & Myrtle Avenue.
FRY & LYIE'S, real estate office, #1550.
Stuyvesant Branch of the Union Bank of Brooklyn, #1572.
Yeter DeLAP, dry goods business, 1876, #1620.
J. B. KING'S, real estate office, established, 1863, since 1871 at, #1639.
12th Precinct in the 1880's, #1698, later the 152nd Precinct.
O'BRIEN & MAGUIRE, 1865, plumbers & gas fitters, 1883, as EASTON & MAGUIRE, #1730.
James VANOLEIT, saddle & harness manufacturer, 1868, #1751.
M. F. DEININGER, undertaker, late 1880s, #1774, he had a branch at
Liberty & Van Sicklen Avenues, East New York.
REDHEAD'S & SUYDAM'S real estate office, #1790.
J. HOHMANN, merchant tailor, established about 1865, at #1796 sine 1874.
Fred PFUND, provisions, #1865 1/2.
Louis Charles WEDELL, for 18 years the ,apothecary-in-chief of the
Kings Co. Hospital in Flatbush. In 1873 he opened a drugstore #1930.
James DUNDAS, established, 1860, fancy & dry goods business, #1986,
he died in 1882, but his widow continued the business.
Thomas JONES owned since 1862 the drug store established at Fulton Street, corner
Classon Avenue in 1867, he established a branch #1341 Fulton St.
Francis M. EDGERTON, real estate office, #1403.
James A. FISHER, real estate, an office in N.Y., had been established in Brooklyn since 1865.
The Brevoort Savings Bank, 1890, opened September 29, 1892, #1192 Fulton Street.
LEFFERTS estate, opposite P.S. No.3, in later days, #723 Bedford Avenue
Lambert SUYDAM Home, in 1766, northside of Fulton Street, between Arlington Place.
& Nostrand Avenue, known later as Daniel LOTT House, taken down, 1856.
Jacob M. HOPPER, undertaker, #1202.
Pell H. PELL, printer, #1208.
George H. BELDEN, surveyor, #1210.
C. E. OGILVIE, stationer, #1220.
William PAYNE'S storage place, #1253.
Brooklyn Baby Carriage Manufacturer Co. #1323.
M. DIXON, mason, #1387 1/2.
MORRISON & Co., dealers in tea, #1405.
Thomas J. WALTER, watch maker, #1424.
John MORAN, mason, #1431.
Lauretta GILL, embroideries, #1456.
MILES & BLISSARD, tiles, #1462.
Horace JOHNSON, stationer, #1469.
William A. ARMSTRONG, stoves, #1486.
George NICHOLS, mason, #1552.
Albert J. SMITH, printer, #1556.
Brooklyn Press, #1584-6, destroyed by fire on September 9, 1897.
Archibald BUCHANAN, stoves, was located #1586.
KUN & SCHWARTZ, department store, #1584-6, destroyed by fire on September 9, 1897.
Lester MINTZ, pawn shop, #1596.
T. J. SCHOLEY, tea dealer, #1610.
James FREEMAN, optician, #1613.
James J. MOEN, mason, #1624.
Mayor BOODY laid the cornerstone for the Brooklyn Bureau of Charities on
Fulton Street, opposite Lewis Avenue, on February 19, 1892.
Herbert CHAPPIE, watchmaker, #1642.
John RILEY, stone yard, #1653.
Stephen T. HARDING, photographer, #1666.
Bedford Dispensary, #1672.
Charles M. MERRITT, optician, #1674.
Jacob ELY, dealer in toys, #1697 1/2.
Van WICKLEN & HENDERSON, real estate, #1700.
Daniel COURTNEY, horse shoer, #1731.
Henry FOSTER, watch maker, #1727a.
Lewis LATOUR & Co., printers, #1769.
Oceanic Tea Company, #1794.
Samuel E. LEEK kept another tea store, #1836.
James W. McALDUFF, sewing machines, #1842.
Henry HEIM, watch maker, #1847.
Anthony HARTMANN, watch maker, #1894 1/2.
M. F. PEPPARD, dealer in tea, 1920 1/2.
Frank SAUERESSIG, tobacconist, #2005.
John DALY, stationer, #2008.
Philip THORTON, tea dealer, #2020.
E. E. LESTER, printer, #2064.
W. R. CRAW, stoves, #2079.