enter name and hit return
THE EASTERN DISTRICT of BROOKLYN
Ludwig SCHMITT, carriage painter, #29.
Opened in 1851 from Fulton Street to Broadway, north of Broadway, town of Bushwick.
The Street was known as Magnolia Street.
In 1868 there were six dwellings along the line of Gates Avenue between Broadway
& Throop Avenue, which latter was the informal boundary line of Brooklyn in those days.
Horse cars were running from Fulton Ferry along Greene & Gates Avenues. to the terminus at
Throop Avenue and in order to reach Bowronville a passenger had to take a dickey or
shuttle car and thus finish his trip over the rough cobble stones.
Dr. Charles JEWETT'S Sanitarium, #507.
Third Primitive Methodist Episcopal Church, in 1865 at Gates Avenue near Bedford Avenue
William F. RAE & Co., real estate office, #394.
J. & T. VINCENT, stove & heater place, #406.
#420 Gates Avenue, was later the quarters of the Bedford Y. M. C. A.
The Sixth District Magistrate Court, #495.
Industrial School for the Blind, corner Tompkins Avenue, 1883, acquired by James B. ASKEN.
A grove, in the 1860's at Tompkina Avenue where picnics held. Known as LEFFERTS Park about
1870, it covered the block between Gates, Throop & Tompkins Avenues, & Quincy St. It was
surrounded by a 6ft iron picket fence, was used for private picnics. On Sundays in summer
open air devotional services were held here conducted by William O'DONNELL.
There were a number of large oak and chestnut trees, many of these were not cut down until 1890.
When the Rem LEFFERTS farm was cut up and sold for building lots this block was
to have been a private park for the use of the lot owners. Each owner was to pay about $2.00 @ year
for the upkeep. As time wore on some lot owners neglected to make payments & for some years
the property did not receive attention.
Boss MITCHELL Co., plumber supplies, #724.
J. E. BRANDIA Sons & Co., surveying instruments, #814.
CLARK & EXTANCE, established in 1876, real estate & insurance,
in 1889, William L. EXRANCE, #891.
Second District Police Court, Gates Avenue near Reid Avenue, built when the section
consisted to a very large extent of fields and farms.
A. S. BEDELL'S, real estate & insurance office, late 1880's, #905.
Stewart G. B. GOURLEY, Jr., undertaker, #916 1/2, & at 313 Lorimer Street.
Thomas MORRIS, stoves & heaters, #975.
John H. BURTIS, real estate & insurance, late 1880's, #1026.
East Brooklyn Co-operative building Association, #1028.
William FIELD, born 1812, opened an office in 1888, #1030, was the architect
who built the Athenaeum in the 1850's & the Oriental Hotel in the 1870's.
Eastern District Savings Bank, #1032, aka Roosevelt Savings Bank.
Charles Goodwin BENNETT, residence, #1090 (has been mentioned under Broadway).
John HIRN, wagon manufacturer, #1465.
1890 Andrew SCHMIDT, wagon maker, was #1465.
B. C. CHOULES, mason, #328 Gates Avenue
Invincible Club, Republican, started 1890's in the 23rd Ward, the original headquarters were on
Gates Avenue near Bedford Avenue. Later they occupied the old frame mansion, at
#343 Gates near Bedford Avenues.
J. & T VINCENT, stoves, #400.
Arlington Hall, corner Nostrand Avenue.
William G. WILSON, watchmaker, #415 1/2.
Paul C. GRENING Bros., real estate, #363 Fulton Street,
a branch, #420 Gates Avenue
another, #1161 Fulton Street.
The firm was established in 1875.
Paul C. GRENING attended to the Gates Avenue branch & his brother Ernest was in
charge of, #1161 Fulton Street.
James HOSFORD, plumber shop, #422 Gates Avenue.
H. DUGAN, tailor, established, 1861, #424.
Bernard BRANAGAN, stoves, #448.
Gospel Hall, #488.
W. H. BOYCE, stoves, #547.
COATES Bros., stone yard, #550.
Brooklyn City Railroad Co. stables, nor.side of Gates.
J. SHAUGNESSY, stationer, #642.
Edward J. NEWLIN, dealer in teas, #660.
John WITHINGHAM, lock manufacturer, #675.
Henry IHNE, printer, #733.
George FERGUSON, shirt maker, #751.
H. IZIEEN, watch maker, #817.
Francis E. POUCHE Bros., undertakers, 305 Adams Street, & #893 Gates Avenue.
A. S. BEDELL, real estate, #905.
C.A. GONZENBACH, Brooklyn Embroidery Works, #942.
Lewis E. MEEKER, M. D., #956.
William F FERGUSON, printer, #979.
M. STASCHIA Co., printers, #1021.
Homer L. BARTLETT, surveyor, in 1890, #1034.
Leonard EPPIG'S brewery was located at #24.
F. F. BRAUN, #129.
Was named for Elbridge GERRY, a signer of the Declaration of Independence.
Jacob KUTSCHER, wagon manufacturer, #45.
CLAUSEN & PRICE'S Brewery, #56.
Henry HESSNER, wagon, manufacturer, #62.
BAUER, store & office fixtures, #76.
Glass works , Gerry & Throop in 1865 & were known as Williamsburgh
Flint & Glass Works, N. DANNENHOFFER, owner in the 1880's.
MOLLER & SCHUMANN , varnish makers, #1-9.
Conrad IBERT'S, wheelwright shop, #62.
(NOTE: Today 2007 Graham Avenue is now called, Avenue of Puerto Rico)
Graham Avenue & Lorimer Street were named for John & James Lorimer GRAHAM,
two land jobbers of 1836.
The thoroughfare known as Graham Avenue was opened from Broadway to Greenpoint
line at Richardson Street, 1851.
The Folly Theatre is located on Debevoise Street.
Theodore MILLER'S Restaurant #20.
S. GILMAN, paper dealer, #34.
Abraham PRICE, paper dealer,#39.
A soap factory was located between Varet & Moore Streets, a gold fish pond was in the
rear of the factory.
John SCHLITZ, the only undertaken in Bushwick in the early days, was located
at Moore Street. He had the largest stage coach built. He named this vechile the
"Pride of the Nation", it was drawn by 12 horses, the reins were managed by two men. Some
five years ago (1928) this stage was mentioned in the local papers as then being abandoned
in a swampy spot in the vicinity of Newton Creek.
Joseph SHERLINE, pianos, #68.
The Brooklyn Reality Brokerage Co., #70.
B. MINTZER, produce, #83.
OLTMAN'S Lodge was at McKibben Street, this was the meeting place of SCHILLER Lodge, 304.
F. & A. M. OLTMAN Lodge, #141.
F. & A. M.HERMAN Lodge, #25, Ancient Lodge of Odd Fellows.
A slaughter house stood between Boerum Street & Johnson Avenue.
S. KLAUSNER & Son, yarns, #128.
Louis CHEVALIER, sewing machines, was #146.
St. Dominic's German Orphan Asylum, #153.
A. & M. IBERT, Jr., wholesale grocers, were in the 1880 at #158 Graham
and #166 Montrose Avenue. The business had been established by the grandfathers of
Anthony & Martin IBERT in the early days of Williamsburgh.
(Frank IBERT, The brewer, were cousins)
Andrew SCHMIDT, furniture dealer, #159 & 161.
Peter JOHNSON, sporting goods, #165.
John ELDER, tailor, #178 since 1854, he was living there in 1902.
John H. SCHEIDT'S, ticket agency, #180.
Louis B. SCHULER, importer of wines, established in 1870,
erected the building at #182 in 1881.
The Metropolitan Tobacco Co., branch was at #197.
Dr. William BOE'S Sanitarium was at #200.
George NICKEL, established his wood and willow-ware manufacturing business at
the time of the Civil War, his plant was at #209.
Tobias FROELICH lived in 1870, on Graham Avenue near Stagg Street, 30 yrs later,
The FROELICH Brothers Co., wine dealers, were at #214-6.
The German Evangelical Church of St. Johannes was incorporated on July 25, 1847 & an ediface
was erected near Ten Eyck Street.
SCHRIER Brothers, paper dealers, #243.
Richard BURKE at one time, leader of the 13th Assembly District, kept
BURKE'S Cafe at Grand Street, he closed his place when prohibition came along.
Neptune Engine Co. #7 was in the 1850's, near Grand Street.
Hose Co. #8, between Grand & Powers Streets.
James BOLLER the foreman.
Slim DENHAM'S Hotel, on the northwest corner of Powers Street was torn down in 1909.
August HERSEMAN formally a foreman in John H. SCHULTS' bakery, built the cracker
bakery at #'s 292-296 at the northeast corner of Powers Street. Much of the hard tack
and bread for the soldiers in the Civil War was baked here. Fire destroyed the building
after it had been standing six years. It was rebuilt. There was another fire on June 23, 1884.
The building subsquently in possession of the COOK family, who conducted a milk store
here. A factory now occupies the site.
Wesley Capel, Methodist Protestant, was in 1870, located near Devoe Street.
F.ROEMMELE & Son, undertakers, livery & boarding stables & manufacturers of carriages
and wagons, had their office in the early 1880's at #522 North 2nd Street. The plant occupied
a plot on Graham Avenue extending from Devoe Street to North 2nd. The wheelwright shop was
on Devoe Street near Graham.
BEALES & MEAKIM's Real Estate & Insurance office was established in 1885 at #353.
SHERMAN was the ticket agent for the Manhattan Beach R.R, his ticket office,
cafe and summer garden were at Graham Avenue & Skillman.
The ediface of the Graham Avenue Lutheran Church near Jackson is now used as a synagogue.
The Graham Avenue Protestant Methodist Church had it's meeting place in 1870 near Withers Street.
Hose Co. was located betwen Frost & Richardson Streets,
Frank J. RAU, provisions dealer, was at #435.
The Sixth Sub-Precinct Station House was in the 1880's at #437, this precinct including "The Green."
Van PELT Hall, #540.
Dr. Julius RAPPOLD, lived in 1860 at #10 Graham Avenue,
in 1866 at #111 Johnson Ave,
in 1870 at #750 Flushing Avenue.
The Broadway Bank, organized in 1887, was located at #12.
John SCHULTHEISS, pork store, #14-16, an old pump stood in front of this store.
The Folly Theatre, the northwest corner of Deveboise Street, was a vaudeville play house.
Charles H. OTTEN, printer, #21.
Herman HIRSCH, tobacconist, #56.
M. LAENGSFELT, shirt maker, #57.
L. ENGELBACH & Co., makers of metal flowers, #58.
The State Bank of NY, opened it's Graham Avenue branch in 1904, #60.
Herman FOX, sewing machines, #62.
Hyman EPSTEIN'S, bank at #70 and was closed on February 7, 1908 after the disappearance of the banker.
MIRELL, SPEISMAN & STERNBERG'S bank at #100.
was closed about 3 weeks later on March 3.
Ernest SCHOEN, musical instruments, was at #93.
George RANGE, sewing machines, #97.
The Suddeutsche Harmonia Hall, #98.
John B. ROBBINS, agent of the Singer Sewing Machines at #104.
Alexander NOPPENEY, smoking pipes, #108.
George F. JUNG, druggist, #114, here tickes for the German Theatre in N.Y.C could be bought.
Rudolph FISCHER, musical instruments, #120.
John BAUER, established his wine business in Brooklyn about 1870, his place #121
was the headquarters of the 32nd Regiment.
John KETTERER, watch maker, #124.
Jacob BAYER, tobacconist, #126.
Louisa UNSELD, carpet dealer, #131.
ADAM & WILLIAMS' Produce, #132.
Adolph ROBERT, Watches & Jewerly, #138.
Phillip SCHMITT, wire manufacturer, #156.
The Peter J. LEYENDECKER house was in 1870 at #168.
John H. SCHEIDT, passenger agent, #178.
George SUTTMEIER, produce, #198.
Christian W. HAUBER, watch maker & jeweler, established in 1872, at #203.
Bernard BRUECKNER, printer, #208.
John BINGHAM'S Cafe was at Stagg Street.
Henry MANGER, shirt maker, #217.
The livery stables of William W. PECAN, the undertaker, #279.
August BECKER, printer, #282
John C. SULLIVAN, printer, #302.
Wm. E. GRAY Co., printers, #325.
Henry BEALES & James MEAKIM had their real estate office since 1875 at #353.
Charles H. SAARGOOD, taxidermist, was #360.
Charles J. STOLL, provisions, #356.
FRANK'S Buther store was at Frost St.
Paul ANSCHUTZ, sewing machines, #434.
Frederick W. FLEER, soda water maker, #448.
The Widow GROSBECK'S Cafe was on Graham Avenue.
(NOTE : THERE ARE 2 GRAND STREETS LISTED.
Believe the 2nd one is an update from the 1912 edition to 1940s.)
The lower and then narrow part of Grand Street, before widening, was called Dunham Street.
The ground taken down when Grand Street and others were cut through the high cliff, was
used to fill in the low marshes along the ponds and creeks so that the village took on
the appearance of a plain. Some of the squares were elevated, while others were depressed.
Dunham Street was not the first name applied to this Street.
MORRELL opened this street through his farm from the river to Roebling Street, about 1812.
He named the point of land jutting out into the river, MORRELL'S Point.
The first name applied to the street itself was Washington Street.
Grand Street was extended through the CONSELYEA farm in 1836, opened from Bushwick
Avenue to Metropolitan Avenue in 1858.
Grand Street has been cut through the high ground along the line of Bedford Avenue. This
was the business street. It was lined with maple trees up to Bushwick Avenue.
Seventy years ago there were houses standing up as far as Keap Street, the north side was more
settled than the south side. Several new buildings were erected in the fall of 1848.
Two hotels were built near the ferry on a plot bought by Edward LOHMAN. This game
property was sold in 1892.
In 1850 a line of two horse stages was running from Grand Street ferry past the Dutch Church
on the Old Woodpoint Road out to Newtown.
Grape arbors extended from Leonard Street to Humboldt Street.
Martin J. SUYDAM ran a stage from Peck Slip and Grand Street.
Ferries through Grand Street and Metropolitan Avenue to Newtown.
The Grand Street and Newtown Railroad Co., was chartered in 1860. At the foot of the street
was the office of the Houston Street Ferry Association and later of the Nassau Ferry Co. A long
wooden stairway led from the ferry to the American Hotel, latter, #2 & 4, kept by Jackson HICKS.
The Pavilion Hotel was next door, #6.
The Bank of Williamsburgh, organized in 1839, Kent Avenue.
American Sugar Refining Co., 1919, the block bounded by Kent Avenue, Grand Street and the river,
also the Ferry property for the construction of a long pier.
Anton GROSS, summer garden, near Kent Avenue. This was the first headquarters of the
Eckford Club, organized in 1865 and incorporated in 1874.
Later at Bedford Avenue near South 2nd Street & Bedford Avenue near South 5th Street, opposite
the WALL house. Since about 1884 the club located, #95 Broadway, still
there 30 years later.
Until the Union Grounds were laid out in 1861, by COMMEYER, the Club played on a vacant strip of
land of the BACKUS estate, opposite the Bushwick Manor House for which
privilege no fee had to be paid.
William KNAPPMAN Co., whiting, were at the foot of the street.
Metropolitan Hotel, #22-24 on the southeast corner of Kent, opened in 1871 and was remodelled
in 1886. Dieterich ALLERS & Sons were the proprietors.
The Citizens Fire Insurance Co. occupied the basement, #18 in 1855.
Daniel BURNETT was the president in 1856.
Mechanics Bank of Williamsburgh, in the same building.
Graham POLLEY was president in 1856.
Aulic Hall, #22.
Elliott's Garden with fountain, 1850's, #24.
A. & G POLHEMUS,l ivery stables,#25-29.
The North Side Bank of Brooklyn, #33-35, in 1889, Theobald ENGELHARDT was the architect.
It became a unit of Manufacturers Trust Co., Bushwick branch, #710 Grand Street
The Fulton Fire Insurance Co., in 1855, #43 & Wall St.
Andrew B. HODGES, was the president in 1856.
John RUGE, stoves & house furnishing, established 1861, early 1880's, #50.
The Palace Rink, #81, later known as Palace Hall.
Alphonse SHELLAS opened about 1858 a furniture store on Grand Street, between Wythe
Avenue & Berry Street.
In 1868 he moved his store, #168 Grand Street,
in 1883 to Grand Street & Driggs Avenue &
in 1893 to Broadway & Greene Avenue, the firm became SHELLAS & CHESNUT.
BRENNAN & KELLY, 1878, manufacturer of boots & shoes, #80 Grand Street & #69 South 1st.
George SCHOBER, provision dealer, #92.
Odd Fellows Hall, in 1851, corner of Berry Street.
Cecelia Hall, #101.
Williamsburgh United Savings & Loan Association, #104.
FRENCH'S Hotel, in 1855, #108.
William SCHARNIKOW'S, Confectionery & ice cream place, established in 1879, #150.
HICKS, the photographer, kept near Bedford Avenue, the "Jenny Lind".
Samuel K. HOGGETT, proprietor, Bedford Avenue.
ATWATER'S Drug store, 1840's on the southwest corner Bedford Avenue.
MORRELL & TIEBOUT'S Hardware store, northwest corner.
Daniel MAUJER, paint store, was there at one time.
Methodist Protestant Church of Williamsburgh, organized in 1832. A frame edifice was erected
in the following year on the south side of the street between Bedford & Driggs Avenues, surrounded
by shade trees. This was sold later at auction, was moved to North 7th Street and altered
into dwellings, #179 & 181.
The former entrance to the church now faces on the alley, which runs along side the structure,
the Gothic window over the door is still in its place, and beneath is a tablet which bore the
inscription: Methodist Protestant Association., some of the letters can still be read.
A brick building erected in 1848, on the Grand Street site became known as
Grand Street Methodist Protestant Church. This building was occupied until 1887, when the edifice
of the First Presbyterian Church on the corner of South 4th & Roebling Streets was purchased in 1886.
The upper part of the Grand Street building was used as a court room for a time and in 1890 was
sold and in 1900 taken down.
Joseph McKEE,established, 1854, stove & furnace manufactory, he died in 1871,
Joseph McKEE Son & Co., in 1883, #188.
S. WOOSLEY & Son, carpet & furniture,established 1852, #193-197. The present building was
erected in 1894, a half century earlier, by SEWARD'S dry goods store.
The Grand Street Museum, built in 1885, #166, and later aka Grand Street Theatre.
Nathan HALE Lodge Order of United Americans met, #166.
Williamsburgh Post Office, in 1855, #141 (old) between Bedford & Driggs Avenues.
Masonic Hall, #145.
Here met the DeWitt Clinton Chapter No.142,
Royal Arch M. & Cassia Lodge No.4,
Hyatt Lodge 205
Marsh Lodge 188,
Times Office, Peter SHUTE, daguerreotyper, in 1846, #183 Grand Street (new).
Williamshurgh Photo Co., 1905, #183,
#597 Fifth Avenue.
BROWN'S pork store, the foot of the street, later at present, #207.
In 1905, J. BROWN, provision dealer, was located, #202.
Americus Hall, #208, in the cellar, the Williamsburgh Daily Times organized in 1848.
George W. BUCKINGHAM'S grocery, occupied the ground floor, #208, later he
resided at northeast corner of South 2nd & Roebling Streets.
H. J. SANDAK, men's furnishing goods, #215.
Literary Emporium held its meetings at the book store of J. C. GANDAR, in the 1850's,
the northeast corner of Driggs Avenue.
Ethan Allen Lodge of the Order of the United American Mechanics, also met here,
the building is now a part of WHALEN Bros. furniture store.
Judge GREEN, Law offices, a white house, southwest corner of Driggs.
SHELLAS & CHESNUTT, carpet store occupied this site from 1883-1893.
J. G. KOEHLER, drug store, since 1855, #218, in 1883, #244 Broadway.
One of the first delicatessen stores, 1882, by H. SCHULZ, Jr., #220.
TUTTLE Building, 1878 between Driggs Avenue & Roebling Street.
Edwin S. PIPER, established in 1885, the Grand Bazaar in this building.
P. GERMAN & Sons, 1857, a small store on North 11th Street, between Wythe & Bedford Avenues,
moved later to larger quarters on North 6th Street, between Wythe and Bedford Avenues, and about
1883 to a two-story and basement house on Driggs Avenue & Filmore Place.
Opened a large dry goods store about 1891, #229-231, adding two years later the two adjoining
The firm was then changed to John J. GERMAN & Co., and retired in 1913 from active business.
SPANGENBERRG'S Candy store, early days at present, #246.
George MACKAY, shoe store, #251, remaining there for many years.
STILLWATER,shoe store was then, #267 on the north east corner Roebling Street, early 1890's.
Adam SCHULTZ furniture store in 1905, known as Adam SCHULTZ'S Son.
LIVINGSTON, drug store, next door. B. H. LIVINGSTON, established 1848, 1893, #273-75.
SPERRY Brothers, jewelers, since 1870, #272.
Adolphus BAKER, dry goods store, 1840's, corner Havemeyer Street. BAKER built the Masonic Temple here.
The Unique Theatre, later The Comedy & popularly called The Bum, #198 in 1905,
southeast corner of Havemeyer Street until it was demolished in 1923.
John P. TEALE, Phoenix Iron Works, #230 between Havemeyer Street & Marcy Avenue
TEALE'S Columbian Hall, #230, The building was twice destroyed by fire
on July 7, 1850 & January 1853, later the name Columbian was substituted for Phoenix.
Opposite was the New Market.
WEBER & HABICH, provision dealers, #340.
G. A. KIRCHNER, manufacturer jewelers' tools, dies, etc., since about 1882, old #282.
established, 1875 & had formerly been at Myrtle Ave, KIRCHNER had the agencies of
various sewing machines.
George J. SMITH, commercial printer, early 1880s, old #286, near Marcy Avenue
The Long Island Zeitung plant, between Marcy Avenue & Rodney Street.
Jan de SWEDE, one of the early settlers, built his home at the head of de SWEDE's Kil,
a branch of de Noorman's Kil or Bushwick Creek near Grand & Rodney Streets.
Charles H. REYNOLDS, established a coal business in 1860, on Grand Street near Rodney Street.
Whale oil having become scarce, kerosene was first introduced in 1860.
William TOMKINS & Son, chandelier manufacturer,1860, established, old #328 near Rodney Street.
Eagle Music Hall, #439 near Keap St.
Free Mason Hall, 1850's,old #309, between Keap & Hooper Sts.
Columbia Lodge No. 5 of the American Protective Association, old #309.
MEADER, photographer, Union Avenue.
Metropolitan Wine Rooms, opened in 1852, #399, in the early 1880's,
J. McENTEE was the proprietor in 1869.
Union Hotel & livery stables, kept by Francis SWIFT, Union Avenue.
REYNOLD'S, photographer, #403 near Union Avenue.
John SNYDER, established, 1843, undertaker business, 40 yrs later his son,
John H. SNYDER, had his office, #409. Their livery stables, #12-16 Powers Street.
Carl SCHULTZ, established his boot & shoe store in 1860. He died in 1867 and was succeeded by
Emil BOCHAT. In 1883 Charles SCHULTZ BOCHAT, the then proprietor, #415-17.
Adolph SCHMIDT, #421 established, 1865, dry goods & ladies' suits.
William STRAUSS & Co., clothiers, opened 1877, #431.
The Second Baptist Church met at Grand & Leonard Streets.
Frank E. MORGAN, sporting goods, #450, established 1881.
John M. OTTO, roofing & sheet metal, established 1864, #46 Maujer Street, warehouse #453,
WALKER Bros., photographers, near Lorimer Street.
W. HENNIGAR, photo gallery, #415.
REYDEL & SCHWEIBOLD Manuf.Co., watch, clock & jewelry, early 1880's, #460.
GETTING & HINMAN, Law Offices, established about 1868, #464.
TRUNZ & PETERMANN, provision dealers, #518.
U. S. Notion Co., #556.
Price Phonograph Co., #600 with a branch #1258 Broadway.
Frank DAHLBENDER'S Cafe, #603.
Max COHEN, yarns, #608.
The Home Club, 1905 a very old building #654 the former CABBLE Mansion.
Second Methodist Episcopal Church, organized on September 4, 1845, corner Manhattan Avenue, 1845-46,
dedicated November 26, 1846.
The parsonage, #475 Grand Street and in 1870 known as Grand Street Methodist Episcopal Church.
In 1886 as Powers Street Methodist Episcopal Church, Powers Street, between Manhattan
Avenue & Lorimer Street.
Judge AMES Court, Grand Street & Manhattan Avenue.
Patrick ENNIS, cafe, under the court.
Daniel GENTY, cracker bakery, established 1866, #532, early 1880's.
Moses BRUCKHEIMER, pawnshop, #705 or old #535.
St. Paul's Free Episcopal Church, 1851, Graham Avenue.
M. McELHATTEN, wine room, established 1878 was old #547.
P. T. PHILLIPS, jeweler, established 1873, old #549.
D. J. J. KNIPE, drug store, built a 4 story building near Graham Avenue.
W. W. PECAN, who was for five years the assistant foreman of Volunteer Hook & Ladder Co., No. 2, until it
was introduced, had his undertakers establishment old #570, his livery stables #279 Graham Avenue.
William lRVINE & Co., wholesale & retail grocers, had two stores on Court Street, established
themselves in the Eastern District in 1880, when they opened a store at the corner of Humboldt Street.
Andrew J. PROVOOST House stood between Graham & Bushwick Avenue.
James McMULLIN, liquor store old #611, corner Bushwick Avenue.
established in 1870.
W. L. Von DAMM Co., established 1882, bay & grain, old #677 near Waterbury Street.
Christian F. HOMMEL, dealer in blue stone, 1889,corner Morgan Avenue,HOMMEL & HARNDEN
Martin KALBFLEISCH, chemical works, both sides of Grand Street between the Creek & Morgan Avenue
near Master's Mill & toll gate. He started his business in Harlem, New York, in 1835, he came to
Greenpoint in 1842 & finally about 1847 to this spot.
Masters' Bridge is now known as Metropolitan Avenue Bridge.
William BROOKFIELD, glass manufacturer, Grand Street near Morgan Avenue opposite the chemical works.
SACKETT WILHEMS & BETZIG, later, SACKETT & WILHELMS Lithographing Co., #1013.
E. V. CRANDALL, oil & putty manufacturer, Grand Street & Newtown Creek, destroyed by fire,
Dec ember 28, 1891, Another fire on June 19, 1900 destroyed the stables of this plant.
Funk Bros., oil plant, Grand Street & Newtown Creek.
The KUIJKUIT or KEIKOUT farm , in 1758 into the possession of Isaac MESEROLE, who sold 12 acres
of this tract, lying north of present Grand Street at the river shore, to Francis TITUS.
Francis TITUS gave this land to his son Charles.
The latter added by purchase from Thomas SKILLMAN, a son-in-law of MESEROLE, a farm of 28 acres,
lying to the south from his other land.
He married a daughter of Folkert RAPPELYEA of Brooklyn.
On the farm he purchased of SKILLMAN was an old house. Charles TITUS kept a resort which was
known as the Fountain Inn. Shortly before he died, Charles TITUS conveyed 13 acres of land lying from
Metropolitan Avenue northwards to Samuel TITUS, who transferred the tract to Richard M. WOODHULL.
WOODHULL developed the land and called it Williamshurgh. He struggled for six years,
became bankrupt and in September 1811 his property was sold by the sheriff and James Homer MAXWELL,
WOODHULL'S son-in-law, became the proprietor. He also was sold out by the sheriff.
Thomas MORRELL purchased in 1812 the Folkert TITUS farm. Folkert evidently was a son of
This farm contained 28 acres lying on both sides of present Grand Street and on it stood the
He laid out Yorkton on this tract.
Williamsburgh was originally laid out after the WOODHULL & MORRELL developments had been combined,
26 blocks long, north to south and 12 blocks wide, east to west. When Grand Street was cut
through the hills from the East River to Bedford Avenue and the horse boat was supplanted by
a steam ferry at Grand Street, this became the chief thoroughfare. The market & milk wagons
still came down the old turnpike road to a point between present Bedford & Driggs Avenues where
they turned off in a circle into Grand Street and so down to the ferry.
The North American Hotel & JACKSON'S tavern were on this route and together with
the Fountain Inn made it the stopping places for all travelers.
JACKSON'S Tavern was the Williamsburgh Inn, old #32 Grand Street.
These taverns were of greatest importance in the early days. They not only held the position of
the hotels of later days, supplying the travelers and horses with shelter and food, but they
held other positions since taken over by the banks, libraries, theatres, club houses, business offices,
assembly rooms, dance halls, city halls, court houses, etc.
Most business was transacted in these taverns. They were plain affairs, nothing like the English
chop houses which came much in favor in later years. These were furnished in solid mahogany with
rosewood tables and had a blazing hearth fire with a big hickory log or hunk of cannel coal and
the finest steaks, chops, broiled kidneys, rarebits cooked to perfection by female help who had
aquired their skill in Yorkshire. Nor were the taverns anything like the porterhouse which were
in the middle of the blocks, their ceilings being decorated with fancy colored paper. Nor did
they resemble the saloons of later days, which occupied the street corners, with their swinging
doors, brass rails & enormmous mirrors behind the bar, covered with pictures, sketched with a
piece of soap. Nor with the speakeasies of recent time.
Grand Street opened in 1830, to the then village line, between Rodney & Keap Streets.
In the following year Grand was ordered to be regulated and paved.
The business section was at that period on Grand Street and on Kent Avenue, between Grand Street
& North 1st Street.
In the latter block was the post office occupying a space about 4'sq. partitioned off, in COOKE'S
MORRELL had owned a number of lots on Grand Street, which he disposed of at $135 each.
He bought others on the Kent Avenue block for which he paid $1000 each and erected a row of
brick houses. In the 1830's stores sprang up on the line of Grand Street up to the Keikout Lane
or village limit east of Keap Street.
What made Williamsburgh a desirable place to resort to in the summer seasons, were the hotels,
gardens and the beautiful beach along the river front and the handsome shade trees. Of the hotels
the most patronized was in the late 1830's, WHEELER'S on Grand Street corner of Water,
later River Street, an old style structure, two story with a roomy piazza in front.
A group of 14 men laid out a number of streets, among which was Union Avenue, they deflected
Grand Street, giving it the bend at Union Avenue in order to have the street pass through
their property, the former CONSELYEA farm.
Among these men were :
John & James LORIMER GRAHAM, for whom Lorimer Street. & Graham Avenue were named,
William POWERS, for whom Powers Street was named,
Each one built for himself a frame dwelling of the old colonial style of architecture with
fluted hardwood columns in front. They were painted white. These villas were built in 1836
on Grand Street between Union & Bushwick Avenue. They were known as the Fourteen Buildings,
and had been erected for the purpose of booming this property.
Two were built in each block, eight, twelve or sixteen lots were attached to a house or
None of the owners escaped the financial crisis of 1837. The buildings changed hands.
All were standing in 1850.
In 1896 one only remained, this had been owned and occupied by;
William CABBLE, who established the Excelsior Wire Works over 60 yrs ago.
William CABBLE became the owner of an old wire weaving establishment in N.Y.C about 1855.
He moved his works to Williamsburgh in 1857, at Ainslie & Keap Streets. Two yrs later this
plant was destroyed by fire. CABBLE purchased the site and built another factory. A few years
later he bought a plot of land at Union Avenue & Ainslie Street and erected his new factory
In 1860 he greatly enlarged the plant. He lived, #425 Grand Street, one of the "Fourteen Buildings".
It stood on the southeast corner of Manhattan Avenue, #654.
Later it was the Home Club, and has since been demolished.
He died in 1870.
Others later owning these homes :
The Williamsburgh & Bushwick Institute for Young Ladies, established by the
Misses MICHAELS was also located in one.
The Sisters of the Dominican Order and planned for St.Catherine's Hospital.
The Home Club, organized in December of 1887 and was at first located at Powers Street & Manhattan
In June 1891, the William CABBLE Mansion, #654 (old #425) It was a 3-story building,
standing back from the street in the center of a well shaded lawn, on a plot 100'sq. A high
iron fence enclosed the grounds. The large brick stable in the rear was used for a gymnasium.
Joseph C. CABBLE was the president of the Home Club about 1891.
Daniel MAUJER, came to the U.S.A. in 1828, opened a paint store in N.Y.C.,
married Harriet SLOO & came to Williamsburgh 1840.
He purchased one of the 14 buildings on Grand Street It was like the others adorned with a dome
and a Grecian porch, with grounds around it.
He opened his business on Grand Street & Bedford Avenue, retiring in 1867, was succeeded by his nephew.
Shortly after coming here, he became one of the founders of the Gothic Methodist Episcopal Church,
located just below his residence which later was, #457, west of Graham Avenue.
An old house still stood on McCAFFREY'S hill on Grand Street between Wythe Avenue & Berry Street,
the cows used to pasture there. Cherry, pear & apple orchards stood from the river to Berry
Street until the last cut through Grand Street was made, the little farmhouse on the hill was
then pulled down.
The "Old Sal" an ancient cannon was fired off every Fourth of July, usually at the
foot of Grand Street at Kent Avenue The report made by the explosion of the powder was
so great that it would break all the crockery jars, pots, pie plates, etc.,
in old Uncle Harriet AIKIEY'S store. Sometimes Old Sal was hauled up South 7th Street,
where the men would fire her off at the County Hotel. She lies buried some where up Broadway
When the farmers from Long Island came into the village with the milk over night to get to
the ferry early in the morning, they went to the old pump at the foot of Grand Street and
watered their milk. The pump was called the "Black Cow," and very likely is still there, but
has been covered up.
GAFFNEY'S Coal Yard, foot of the street.
Patrick RALPH'S Cafe, foot of the street.
Barney BOERNIG, 1830's, northeast corner Kent Avenue was a rendezvous for politicians,
both Democrats & Whigs. The successor to this place evidently was John GROSS' Hall
& Summer Garden between Kent & Wythe Aves. Old politicians were wont to visit the place,
police captains WOGLOM & KAISER dropped in quite often on "time off". Abt 1860
GROSS imported an organ from Germany for which he paid $8,000 in gold.
Patrick H. McCARREN, Edward MURTAGH & Charles BEAM were frequent guests,
later times kept by Frank DAHLBENDER.
Charles DIXON, cafe at Wythe Avenue.
TULLY, the tailor, many years near Wythe Avenue.
The old circus grounds about 1890, between Wythe Avenue & Berry Street.
Palace Hall still stands, #93, a remnant of the Palace Rink which occupied the ground way back
into the block, the site of the real rink is now occupied by a factory.
Samuel WELLS, drum & banjo factory, near Berry Street.
In 1869 an entire block on Grand from Berry Street to Bedford Avenue, including NEWMAN'S furniture
store, was destroyed by fire.
WAINWRIGHT, the father of Rockaway Beach, kept an oyster house near Bedford Avenue
James O'NEILL, native of Ireland, early days kept a school near Bedford Avenue
BROWN'S Cafe was at Bedford Avenue
Dr. HARDCASTLE resided near Bedford Avenue
Grand Theatre, early 1890's, between Bedford & Driggs, with a door on South 1st Street. It featured
melodrama, varieties & burlesque. Frank CARR was the owner of the theatre as well as of famous dogs.
LOVEJOY'S bakery, near Driggs Avenue.
The Methodist Protestant Church of Williamsburgh had prayer meetings held in 1832, at the house
of Brown SETTLE, Organized in 1833, by these people seceders from the existing
Methodist Episcopal Church. They did not believe in having a bishop over the church,
hence it became a "Protestant' church. The Rev. T. T. KENDRICK preached in the later church.
In the upper floor of this building, court was held in later years.
Judge VOORHEES presiding. Later Judge VOORHEES held the court on the upper floor
of the court house on Driggs Avenue corner South 1st Street.
GANDAR'S Literary Emporium, northeast corner Driggs Avenue, in 1850 called
"the intellectual centre of Williamshurgh", the great emporium of literature, Grand Street #89
will long be remembered by the inhabitants of Williamshurgh."
Close by stood Lexington Hall.
On the corner Bedford Avenue, early 1850's, old time sporting resort known as the Jenny Lind
where the sports congregated.
On the southwest corner was a large dry goods store, by the Misses McGUIRE.
COLLINS, known as "Understand me Collins", oyster house between Driggs Avenue & Roebling Street,
later at Rockaway Beach.
BROWN Bros., pork butchers, Grand Street near Roebling Street, "Piggy BROWN'S" was
the popular name of the store.
BURKHART'S Summer garden, near Roebling Street.
Phil ROTHMAN'S Cafe near Havemeyer Street.
Andrew CURRAN, hatter, near Havemeyer Street.
MAHLER'S bakery, Marcy Avenue.
COX'S Ice Cream Garden, Marcy Avenue had been a famous resort in the 1830's.
GALER Bros., tea store, near Marcy Avenue.
The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Store, corner Rodney Street, was called the finest illuminated
store in Brooklyn.
DALY'S dance ball, Keap Street.
At Grand Street & Union Avenue were:
SHANNBY'S blacksmith shop.
Pat GLEASON, cafe, known as Battle Ax Gleason.
Near Union Avenue:
The Dollar store,
KEMP the Photographer.
DITREY'S Millinery store.
Billy JENKINS, cigar store, Lorimer Street. which he started on his return from the Civil War, disabled.
LATHAM, the barber, Lorimer Street.
GOERCK'S Crockery store, Graham Avenue.
WOOLEY'S Restaurant, near Graham Avenue.
The Ennis Club, #730 east of Graham Avenue.
Former Fire Commissioner John ENNIS was the head of this organization, later, known as
the Colonial Democratic Club.
The Bushwick Savings Bank took the building down about 1922.
Other establiahments on Grand Street were:
HEGGINS' Assembly Rooms,
ROONEY, Undertaker, 1870's,
Tim PEDLAR, who made good tin types,
Martin KALBFLEISCH, born in Vlissingen, Holland, on February 8,1804 and settled
in Bushwick in 1842. For many years he made the manufacturing of acids a specialty
and eventually his plant embraced several acres of land.
He was Supervisor of Bushwick from 1851 till 1855.
In 1853 he was appointed one of the commissioners to draw a charter for the proposed
consolidation and he acted as president of the board.
He was Alderman of the 18th Ward 1855-61.
Mayor of Brooklyn 1861-1863.
He then was President of Board of Aldermen. The last time he was elected Alderman,
he received all the votes in his ward for that office, but one.
He became a Member of Congress in 1862.
In 1867 he was again elected Mayor serving 1868-71.
He was a director of two banks, insurance and trust companies and other institutions.
He also was President of Prospect Park Fair Ground Assoc.
He died February 12, 1875.
The bust of Martin KALBFLEISCH in the Borough Hall is the work of
J. McNAMEE. The Board of Aldermen of the City of Brooklyn appropriated $1,000 for the bust.
Reuben WITHERS one of the owners of the Houston St. Ferry came to N.Y. a poor boy
from Virginia. He earned his money in the china trade while being of the house
of WITHERS & HEARD. James HEARD a former auctioneer was the partner.
BRENNAN & KELLY, #80, sold boots and shoes.
HOSENS & Brother, #94 made small musical instruments.
In 1849 Lexington Hall, corner of Berry Street.
George VELSOR made drums, 1860's, Devoe Street near Manhattan Avenue, 1880's, #122 Grand Street
A. HATHAWAY, cigar manufacturer, #129.
Bernard PETERS bought in 1868 a half interest in the Brooklyn Daily Times, be worked
together with George C. BENNETT for six years and then bought him out.
Samuel W. WOOLSEY, 1860s, #9 Morton St. established his store, #136 Grand Street 1880's, #167.
The milliner James MURPHY opened his store on Grand Street in 1857, moved in 1864
to, #138 (now No. 169) where he was located in the 1880's.
T. W. METCALFE, 1860s, drug store, #151 Grand & #29 South 7th Street, 1880s, #298 Fifth Street.
Elwin S. PIPER, born in Saratoga Springs, N.Y., 1851. He came to Brooklyn, 1886 established
the dry goods firm of PIPER & RENWICK, Grand Street & Driggs Avenue, place was known as
the Grand Bazaar. In 1890 he bought out his partners interest in the business.
Lemuel L. HICKS, photographer, 1860s, #160.
B. V. B. LIVINGSTON, drug store,1860s, #244, 1880s, #231.
W. R. CORNELL, maker of musical instruments, #251.
The Williamsburgh City Tea Store, 1860s, #258.
Albert FRIES, printer, #305 and lived in East New York.
In the 1880s Albert FRIES, Jr., printer, #157 South 1st Street. The elder FRIES had published
in 1851 a newspaper the Anzeiger and changed the name afterwards to Long Island Zeitting which
appeared as a daily but was discontinued in 1854.
ROEHR started in that year his Long Island Zeituag.
William STRAUSS & Co., #431 did a large custom tailoring business in the 1880s.
GROEHRER & McCARTY, plumbers, #492.
Michael KING printer, #446.
E. R. LAKE, manufacturer of church organs at #529.
Daniel CANTY resided with his mother, #252 Powers Street in the 1860s,
his cracker bakery, #464 & in the 1880s, #532.
Joseph A. STOLL, church statuary work, started 1866, 1880s, #588.
John F. LUTHER had a small ropewalk 1880s & 1890s, corner Grand & Waterbury Streets, he
is said to have been a descendant of John LUTHER, who had one of the two early
ropewalks in lower Williamsburgh on the north side.
E. D. NEWMAN, lumber dealer, #789.
Cornelius H. TIEBOUT'S Hardware store, #31 Grand Street
John C. KNAUP, cigar factory, #64.
William SOMMERS, provisions, #67,
Solomon MONDAY, cigar factory, #75.
J. J. FRIEL, pawn broker, #86, & #989 Myrtle Avenue
Louis KARCHER, provisions, #106.
Charles MANTEL, stoves, #109.
James E. WILSON, storage, #114.
John WOESSNER, provisions, #121.
Edward L. TAYLOR, washing machines, #132.
William SCHAEFER, stoves, #137.
The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Co.,1893 had 3 stores, Grand Street, #163-322-525.
The Grand Museum, in 1890, #166.
Americus Hall, #176.
John BROWN, provisions, #172, & #306.
Joseph TOTTEN, stoves, #188 Grand Street & #51 Van Cott Avenue.
Anthony A. MAZWELL, photographer, #191 & #331.
WHALEN Brothers, furniture dealers, 1890, #193.
The house numbers on Grand Street have been repeatedly changed, the difference between the numbers
of 1890 and today, varies according to the distance. Up to this point, the change added about 20
numbers. But the further up the street we go, we find the added numbers increasing.
At Graham Avenue the difference being 170
at Bushwick Avenue over 200,
at Morgan Avenue 260
at Seneca Avenue over 330.
In the list of establishments, the house numbers as they were in 1890.
William MILLER, optician, & #202.
Union Pacific Tea Company, #213.
Stephen S. BECKER, dealer in tea, #223.
Dr. August GROSCH, dental parlor, #223, later Stuyvesant Avenue near Broadway.
Adam SCHULZ, furniture store, #227.
Jay J. HARTMAN, photographer, #231.
Albert C. ROSS, straw hat bleacher, #238.
E. L. BRITT, Jr., stationer, was #244.
Smith SCHISSEL, dealer in tea, #249.
Masonic Hall, corner of Havemeyer St.
Frank McELDREDGE, printer, #272.
William FIRTH, dealer in tea, #273.
Henry HACHEMEISTER, provisions, #278.
Solomon WOEFFHERF, stationer, #284.
BOWERS Brothers, printers, #284.
James BLACK, umbrellas, #291.
John 0.BALDWIN & Co, dealers in tea, #292.
M. FEYSER, cigar manufacturer #298.
Morria COHN, notions, #300.
Albert H. PHILLIPS, dealer in tea, #313.
Abraham L. SAMUEL, pawn shop, #333.
Philip MUGLER, provisions, #358.
Conrad 0. BICKELMANN, photographer, #397.
Joseph MUELLER, provisions, #398.
WIESER Brothers, musical instruments', #400.
Importers Tea Company #369.
Samuel BERG, stoves, #408.
George H. AYERS, printer, #416.
James SNYDER, undertaker, #422.
Dr. David ENGEL, dentist offices, #441, later Stuyvesant & Vernon Avenues.
Charles A. JOHNSON, sewing machines, #455.
William GOSSENG, toy dealer, was #459.
George KONOW, tobacconist, #460.
The Bushwick Savings Bank, #466.
Minnie W. JONES, maker of wax flowers, #485.
Leopold LEVISON, optician, #486.
Carlo CAPIELLO, musical instruments, #486.
Hill C. LEWIS, pawn broker, #487.
Robert BEGGS, tea dealer, #495.
Jost HOCHL, notions, #498.
FRITZ & HUMMEL, furniture store, #514.
Claus DUNKHASS, photographers, #527.
James MARTIN, dealer in tea, #507.
Isaac S. REMSON, carriage maker, #554-560 & #561-563 Grand Street,
#283 Graham Avenue and #223 Maujer Street.
St. Mary's Academy, #558.
Morris DANZIGER, stoves, #565.
HOLDWORTH & Co. wire manufacturer, #581.
Peter STOECKER, stoves, #596.
Peter WOLF, wagon maker, #660.
Joseph T. PETRI, printer, #663.
William ROBBINS, livery stables, #634.
William MOGK, stone yard, near Waterbury Street.
The Bushwick Savings Bank opened, July 1, 1873 in a store on Broadway, 1877 moved to Grand Street
at Leonard, 1895 Grand Street & Graham Avenue. Mr. Jere E. BROWN, President,
entered the employment of the bank as a boy in 1878.
DARMATT & PELL, lumber yard
CHAPMAN'S docks, on the English Kills near Grand Street
A. A. NEWMAN, lumber yard, Grand Street & Newtown Creek. A fire in the lumber yard
at Grand St & Newtown Creek, June 10, 1892 caused a loss of $25,000.
April 14, 1900 fire started in KNAPPMAN & Co., whiting works, spreading
to a number of buildings & to Chapman's docks. It destroyed REYNOLDS' coal pocket
& DANNATT & PELL'S lumber yard causing the loss of a life & $250,000 in property.
DENNISON Manufacturing Co., plant for making tags, etc., #271.
Ruloff R. BENNETT, livery stables, #261.
Metallic Relief Manufacturing Co., makers of metal ceilings, #277.
W. H. Van SICKLE, mason, #287.
Nelson J. GATES, wood & coal business, 1865 in N.Y.C., 1880s, #636 Greene.
The Baptist Home at Throop & Greene Avenues is known as #665 Greene Avenue.
The Greene Avenue Presbyterian Church on Greene Avenue between Reid & Patchen Avenues, 1861
as a mission school of the Park Presbyterian Church, organized in 1871, dedicated, May 5, 1900.
Fire damaged the church, April 9,1910.
Kings Co. Auto Co., 1910 #1011.
Fire on October 14, 1900 in the stables of HAROLD & HARTFIELD, #1027.
Boulevard Grove occupied the grounds bounded by Greene Avenue, Grove Street, Evergreen & Central Avenues.
P. S. No. 75, south east corner of this grove.
CHENEY & HEWLETT, architectural iron works, early 1880s, #100-124 & #218-222 Franklin Street.
The office #201 Broadway, N.Y.C,, they constructed the old Grand Central Depot,
The GILSEY House,
Singer Sewing Machine Co.
Murray Hill Hotel,
Metropolitan Opera House,
Tribune, World, & Evening Post buildings,
Boston Post Office, to name a few.
The Greenpoint Exchange of the Telephone Co., Green Street near Manhattan Avenue.
One man used to attend to all the night calls.
JENSEN'S Pottery, Green Street, near Manhattan Avenue.
James COSBY, iron works, 1890, #124.
John A. DARLINGTON, manufacturer of soda water, #98.
Empire China Works Pottery, #156.
Henry FISCHER, iron works, #234-242.
Fire in August 16,1898, destroyed, Chemical Works, John C. WIARDA, Co. #259-273.
Greenpoint & Flushing Plank Road, built, 1853-54 from Greenpoint Ferry to Calvary Cemetery.
Originally been known as L Street, then, Greenpoint Avenue, for a time, in the 1860s
was known as National Avenue, & later again as Greenpoint Avenue.
A steam ferry running between Greenpoint Avenue & 10th Street, N.Y.C., was established
on May 7,1853, by G. L. KNAPP. The first boat was a tub like affair, about 75'
long with a amall cabin on the flush deck. This was an old boat which had formerly
plied between New York & Dutchess Junction on the Hudson River, her name was Kate.
A regular slip could not be secured on the New York side until 18 months later.
This was purchased for George LAW, the old steamshipman at the foot of 10th Street.
Another ferry was running from East 23rd Street, N.Y.C., to Newtown Creek to convey funeral coaches
to Calvary Cemetery. The ferry boat Martha served on this ferry running up Newtown Creek to Penny Bridge.
Later, was run by L. KNAPP, also running between Greenpoint Avenue & East
10th Street Ferry about down on October 27, 1914.
C. A. SEGUINE'S Restaurant, #31. Washington Hall, at West Street.
FRANCIS Metalic Life Boat Co., at West St.
John ENGLIS & Sons, ship builders, #32.
Eberhard FABER Pencil Company, #39.
T. T. MEADON'S Sons, pipe & fittings, #51.
HINDLEY & KEEHAN, dealers in hardware, heaters & furnaces, 1889, #61.
TREADWELL, real estate, corner Franklin Street, became the Post Office about 1870.
Later, the post office was at Franklin & Java Streets.
P. S. No.22, near corner Franklin & Java Streets.
Mechanics' & Traders' Bank, organized and opened, 1867 at Greenpoint Avenue & Franklin Street.
Archibald K. MESEROLE was the president since 1870.
Eastern District Hotel, old #46, corner Franklin St., opened 1857, when the ferry
landing of the East 23rd St. line was transferred to the foot of Greenpoint Avenue,
T. E. BODINE was the proprietor.
Odd Fellows Hall, 1850's near Franklin Street, here met:
the Sons of Temperance,
Mount Ararat No.396,
Greenpoint No.99, and
Greenpoint Degree Division.
Greenpoint Y. M. C. A., started as an independent society near Frankin Street. After time it
became the Greenpoint branch of the regular Y.M.C.A., Manhattan Avenue near Meserole Avenue
about where the Club later was located. The society took possession of the place at Lorimer Street
and Meserole Avenue in 1908.
7th Police Precinct, about 1860, a building rented of Josiah CARVER, corner Franklin Street.
The force consisted of 12 men. A station house was built at the north east corner of Manhattan
17th Ward bell tower of the Eastern District Fire Department stood in the rear of this building,
the tower did not rise above the height of the station house.
This precinct became known as the 161st Precinct.
The City Mission wood yard, #114.
The Brooklyn City Mission & Tract Society, #114,
Italian branch, #20,
Jewish branch, #620a Quincy Street.
The Star, a weekly, published in Long Island City, #133.
Louia CHEVALLIER, sewing machine place, #136.
J. B. PEARLSTEIN, photographer, #146.
Mac Lac Company, shellac concern, #147.
ROBINSON Stoneware, #244.
Federal Varnish Company, #295.
Eclipse Oil Works, Newtown Creek.
The Eclipse Box & Lumber Company, Greenpoint Avenue.
American Varnish Company, Greenpoint Avenue.
The Turn Hall, Greenpoint Avenue, where the Indians used to patent medicines was later
occupied by the Greenpoint Sporting Club.
Judge ELLIOTT had a running track for training purposes on Greenpoint Avenue,
where Jewel Street is now.
Jack FRANK, road house, Greenpoint Avenue, the farmers used to stop
here "to feed their horses".
Henry McKENNA, hay & feed store on Greenpoint Avenue.
BIRD Brothers, furniture store at Greenpoint Avenue.
Blissville Bridge was completed in 1900.
KNEIP used to keep a house on the Greenpoint Avenue side.
Dick SCOTT kept one on Blissville side.
Valley Forge Engine Co. No.11, on Greenpoint Avenue, organized soon after 1855.
WASHINGTON Hall, 1850's at Greenpoint Avenue & West Street.
MILLS Brothers, photographers, #39.
Thomas F. AMES, tobacconist, #47.
T. J. MEADONS, metal workers, #51.
Cigar Manufactory, 1880s, #53.
1890 George W. SLOANE, steam generators, #53 & #150.
HINDLEY & KEEHAN, hardware & stoves, #61.
James E. BROWN, storage, #62.
George SMITH, mason, #63 Greenpoint Avenue & 74 Kent Street.
David C. VAIL, printer, #70.
Greenpoint News, #70.
PERRY'S law office was in 1890, #77.
The William P. MILLER, foil manufacturers, #100.
Nellie THORPE, sewing machines, #101.
Wesley HAFF, storage, #114.
FITSHETT Brothers, printers, #127.
American Tea Company, #129.
BARTHOLDI Hall, #144.
Greenpoint Daily Star, 1890, #150.
Anglo-American Roofing Co., #150.
Singer Manuf., sewing machines, #152.
William N. PARKS, sewing machines, #154.
REYNOLDS Hall, #156.
Smithsonian Hall, #170.
John FALKNER, horse shoer, #191.
John C. CUSHMAN, mason, #291.
Kings Co. Varnish Works, #297.
TUCKER'S Portable House Co., #308.
Eclipse Lubricator Co., Newtown Creek.
Was laid out by Watson BOWRON, 1858.
It was named Grove because it cut thought Boulevard Grove.
Patrick FLOOD, horse shoer, #169.
The lots on Guernsey Street near Norman Avenue, known as Paddy FLOOD'S Place,
was about in 1890 where the Greenpoint Athletic Club is now.
A trestle ran from these lots to the south side, or as in the earlier days known as The Orchard.
When Grover CLEVELAND ran for president, the PAINE'S Firework concern put a set
peice with CLEVELAND'S picture outlined in these lots.
An old blacksmith shop at Guernsey near Norman was kept by an old German; the forge bellows in
this place were operated by dogs running a tread mill, which provided the power.
The stables of John C. RIDER & Co., #63.
John I. MESEROLE built his house about 1800 near Norman Avenue.
The Old Ladies Home, first on Dupont Street, later on Guernsey & Oak, the institution known as
the Greenpoint Home for the Aged, established 1822.
A. M. AINSLIE Manufacturer, makers of spring beds, #22.
Next..."H" of the EASTERN DISTRICT Streets
Back to EASTERN DISTRICT Main
Back to TOWN Main Page
Back to STREETS Main
Back to BROOKLYN Main