enter name and hit return
THE EASTERN DISTRICT of BROOKLYN
William PAYNE, the antiquarian, lived for 35 years in the old LEFFERTS farm house at #22,
until his death in January 1899. He bought the farm in 1864, the house faced toward
Across Bedford Avenue, stood STORM'S Tavern, one of the old time hostelries on the
Jamaica Turnpike at the junction of Clove Road & Cripplebush Road. The turnpike cut
right through a tract of dense woods, which lay between the house and the road and beyond.
The Halsey School, #173.
Phillip F.KING, plumbling & heating, #260.
Merchants Express Co. #534.
The Opera Stables, George B. SCHILLING, proprietor, #536.
Jefferson Club, #754.
MAHATMA Magicians. a publication, #805.
A large open field stretched from Rockaway Avenue down to a plain on Halsey Street near
Broadway. In this plain was a pond, more or less large, according to rainfall. This plain
became the circus grounds.
The Saratoga Park occupies now part of the plain. In 1912 the Halsey Theatre was erected
upon the old circus grounds, between Saratoga & Broadway by the T.A. CLARK Co.,
the BENEDICT Amusement Co., being the lessee.
The Arcadia was erected upon the Saratoga Avenue corner plot.
The German Fifth Presbyterian Church with it's parsonage were for many years the only
buildings on the block bounded by Halsey & Weirfield & Central & Wilson Avenues. The name
of the church was changed in 1919 to Halsey Street Presbyterian Church.
Halsey Street was cut through to the ball grounds beyond the county line in 1889.
The Putnam Avenue & Halsey Street horse car lines was constructed in 1870. While Thomas SULLIVAN
was in charge of this line, it was operated by the Brooklyn City Rail Road Co.
The WIGGINS House at #464 Halsey became the home of STUYVESANT Heights Republican Club in 1896.
William MARSH, trussmaker, #467.
A rope factory was on the north side of Halsey Street between Ralph & Howard Avenue.
The Shelter house in Irving Square Park was erected by architects DODGE & MORRISON
of #82 Wall Street, Manhattan.
Central Congregational Church now at Hancock Street near Franklin, was organized in 1854.
Rev. Dr. FRENCH was the first pastor, the corrugated iron structure was built under
Rev. Dr. Henry Martyn SCUDDER, who was the pastor for many years.
A later pastor was the Rev. A. J. F. BEHRENDS who was succeeded by
Rev. D. S. PARKES CADMAN.
The LEWIS Auto Co. a quarter century ago, #484.
MINER'S Business Academy was at Patchen Avenue.
KETCHAM Brother's real estate office at Ralph Avenue.
The Salvation Army Rescue Home, at #1009.
The Henry ALTENBRAND house #141, was deluged with water from a faucet left open
three months while the family was away in the summer of 1894.
William S. HARDICK'S livery stables were #945.
DANNENHOFFER Glass Works, #289.
H. TIMMERMANN & Son, produce, #449.
Named for Benjamin HARRISON, signer of the Declaration of Independence.
Opened in 1856 from Flushing Avenue to the Jeremiah JOHNSON estate.
Wm. H. CAMMEYER, obtained in 1861, a long lease for a tract of land lying in the hollow
bounded by Harrison & Marcy Avenues, Rutledge & Lynch Streets, including a portion of Negro Pond.
On this tract he established the Union Grounds, for which he built a high board fence
around. The players could be seen from the roadway despite the enclosure. He went to much expense
in having the tract supplied with piping in order to turn the tract into a skating pond in the winter.
Skating fever died out about 1866.
The Union Grounds were ready for the baseball season of 1862. and were the first enclosed
baseball grounds. The admission 10 cents.
The early teams;
Red Stockings played here.
These were the grounds of the Atlantic Base Ball Club of Brooklyn, organized August 4, 1865, with
Thomas S. POWERS as president,
Caleb SNIFFEN, vice president,
Joshua A. ACKERMAN as secretary.
Later Heyward St. cut through the tract. The new 47th Regiment Armory was erected on part of the
tract, occupying now the block bounded by Harrison & Marcy Avenues and Heyward & Lynch Streets.
The 47th Regiment Armory was organized in 1882 by Colonel J. V. MESEROLE. The cornerstone laid, facing
Marcy Avenue, October 11, 1883. The building was occupied in 1885 and aditions were built
in 1889 & 1898.
On the opposite side of Harrison were the grounds of the Satelite Cricket Club.
On this site John H. SHULTS erected his wholesale bread bakery, the office #77.
Jacob LUND had a grocery on Second Street, moving his store in 1883 to #97.
Peter WENDLER, provision dealer, #122.
John KISSEL & Son, Wholesale Wine dealers, #169, they also had a little brewery.
WINTER'S Teutonia Hall, #191-203, extending in the 1880's from Bartlett to Flushing Avenue.
Here masquerade balls and coon cake walks were held. The building was taken down in December 1921.
P. S. No.122, Harrison & Heywood was organized in 1901.
James PRIDDY, former principal of P.S. No.33, became the principal of #122.
He retired February 1904, succeeded by Jesse J. REYNOLDS. When REYNOLDS was elected
District Superintendent in September 1914, Horace MANN SNYDER took over as principal.
A swimming hole at the side of the union grounds near Middleton Street, when it rained it was
five feet deep.
The Brooklyn Greys for the 47th Regiment was selected out of compliment to Col. Jeremiah MESEROLE,
as he had formerly been connected with the 4th company of the 7th Regiment. It was mustered
into State service by Col. MESEROLE on March 29, 1862.
The Odeon was their first armory, the regiment left for war, May 30, 1862. After a brief stop
at the Capital, they proceeded to Baltimore and established there, Camp Williamsburgh on Druid Hill.
The cornerstone for the new armory at Metropolitan & Bedford Avenues was laid July 14, 1864, this
was the first regimental armory erected in Kings County.
Thomas R. DEVERELL, born in Ireland, the son of a British officer, was the band master
of the 47th Regiment.
In 1882, General SHERMAN appointed him recruiting agent for the United States Army Bands.
Fred MOSSETTER & Sons, provisions, #122, this place was kept by Peter WENDLER.
Sebastian KOENIG, dealer in toys, #170.
Joseph MEYER, taxidermist, #181 1/2.
Named for John HART, signer of the Declaration of Independence.
The "dummy's" farm extended on Hart from Marcy to Nostrand Avenues. The owner used to fire his
shot gun to scare boys, who were after his radishes.
The Excelsior Brewing Co., #254.
The pilot, Robert WILLIAMS, #158.
George V. SEAMAN, mason, #59.
Elm Street in the town of Bushwick, has become a part of Hart St.
Jos. ZOELLNER, music teacher, #36 Elm.
James DEEGAN, #70 Elm.
George WERST, blacksmith shop, #570 Hart.
Named for Henry O. HAVEMEYER, pioneer, Williamsburgh sugar refiner.
Formerly known as Seventh Street, opened from Division Avenue to Union Avenue.
John MORRIS, horse shoer, #38.
Wm. H. SAARGOOD, #89, a branch at #543 Broadway.
Henry A. EISNER, provisions, Havemeyer Street near Grand Street.
The American Moulding Co., #132.
Henry MORITZ, livery stables, #204.
Williamsburgh Realty Co., #213.
Patrick CLAFFEY, horse shoer, #284.
Hook & Ladder Co., near Division Avenue.
The Herbert Street Police Station, first located in a store on Frost Street, near
Graham Avenue and then known as Sixth Sub-Precinct Station.
Wm. REHDER, provisions, #23.
Opened in 1852 from Clove Road to Hunterfly Road.
P.S. No. 28, near Ralph Avenue was closed as being unsafe, March 20, 1908.
The Herkimer Street Baptist Church, 1870, Herkimer corner of Troy Avenue.
The German Reformed Protestant Church of New Brooklyn was organized in 1852, a frame church
was erected the following year near Saratoga Avenue, which was dedicated, November 22, 1854.
The parsonage was built 1864.
In 1888 the frame church was demolished and a new brick ediface took it's place, dedicated 1889.
The Rev. John C. DICKHAUT was the minister in 1865 until his death.
August SCHMIDT'S Hotel, corner of Howard.
John GLEN, mason, #1086.
In 1810 was a farm lane on the General Jeremiah JOHNSON farm.
Named for Joseph HEWES, signer of the Declaration of Independence
and head of the Naval Committee of the Colonies.
George S. HARRIS, blue stoneyard, later owned by J. M. FILCHER & Co.
was at the corner of Kent.
The Belmont boarding stables, #109.
Andrew D. BAIRD, residence in later years, #140.
Hugh CARRICK, dealer in painters supplies, #248.
Dr. RITTER'S, drug store, later owned by George O. MEYER, corner of South 4th Street.
The Brooklyn Wire Cloth Works, #403
Named for Thos. HEYWARD, signer of the Declaration of Independence.
A row of frame dwellings on the east side of the street, #18-50, between Wythe & Bedford was
known as the village. When they were built the street was a dirt road and the houses were painted
white, stood alone on a tract four blocks square. They gave shelter to 60 families.
Today the white homes are two grayish houses on either side of a garage which occupies
the site of six of the frame dwellings.
T. G. CHRISTMAS, stone dealer, #49.
P. S. No.71, near Lee Avenue, has been in use since 1885.
P. S. No.33, near Broadway became known as Heyward Street School.
The site was bought from Nicholas WYCKOFF for the sum of $4,800. The school cared
for the children beyond central Williamsburgh.
James PRIDDY was the principal. In 1901 he became the principal of P.S. No.22.
John SCHUTZ & Son, stone yard, #31 -41.
Lyman CROESMAN, mason, #50.
SCHOOHERR & BRAUTIGAM, wagon makers, #268.
Phillip NEWMAN, veterinary surgeon, #293.
Named for the Rev. J. S. HIMROD, the first pastor of South Bushwick Reformed Church.
Ernst LOERCH, mason, #61.
Otto SCHURMAN, smokers articles, Himrod Street.
F. FLEISCHHAUER, thermometers, Himrod Street.
Was named for William HOOPER, a signer of the Declaration of Independence.
Eleventh Street was opened in 1855 from the Grand to South 6th Streets.
The Nassau Gas Co., erected in 1873 a brick encased gas tank near Wythe Avenue.
A. D.BARNES & Co., stove dealer, were located near Wythe Avenue.
The First Congregational Church was organized on May 28, 1843, by 8 seceding members of the
Presbyterian Church. It happened on a Sabbath day in the latter church that a colored man
took a seat near the center of the house and was requested by the sexton to take a seat
in the back, next to the door.
This transaction especially impressed Samuel WILD, a member of the church, with the
heinousness of practicing cant in the house of God and he procured two lots of land on
the southwest corner of Hooper Street and South 3rd Street, upon which he erected chiefly
with his own means a chapel which was in 1898 known as "Bishop's Chapel" and which at one
time had been occupied by the African Methodist congregation.
The enterprise, though not a success, filled an office in it's day as an exponent of rigid
The Rev. Samuel S. JOYCELIN ministered to the church until the close of the Civil War.
It was then disbanded, it's white members uniting with the New England Congregational Church
and it's colored members affiliating with the colored Congregations.
J. VANKEUREN, musician #74.
Formerly known as North Street.
John SCHMIDT, wagon manufacturer, #118.
Williamsburgh Paper Box Co., #178.
At Havemeyer Street were HOGAN'S Cafe.
Frank BAKER'S Cafe, the opposite the pearl button factory.
Wm. Van COTT erected his house about 1798 on the Sweed's Fly at or near Hope & Keap Street.
Chesebrough had a packing house at Hope & Keap and another at Maujer & Leonard.
The one at Hope was later known as Battle Row.
Members of the old Battle Row crowd were;
Bill & Ed HOWE,
ROGERS paid the penalty on the gallows for killing Officer Police DIBBLE in Battle Row.
Solidarity Watchcase Co., #17.
George QUINN, mason, #67.
BROWN & PATTERSON, iron works, known as Williamsburgh Iron Works, at the corner of Marcy Avenue.
Chas. W. RACHEL, printer, #151.
Named for Stephen HOPKINS, signer of the Declaration of Independence.
SCHWAB Bros. Co., plumbers supplies, #16.
A WOHLGEMUTH, manufacturer of paper boxes, #183.
The Hopkins Street Evangelical Church, later Presbyterian Church, erected in 1872,
by Rev. John N. MEURY, east side of the street, between Sumner & Throop.
Fire in the factory at #14-16 Hopkins Street, February 6, 1892, caused a loss of $35,000,
fire again, February 16, 1904, caused a loss of $30,000.
SCHWAB Bros., wood workers was here at the time.
Conrad WISSEL & Son, scavengers, #56-58.
Wm.SORG, watch maker, #132.
Wm.SCHRADER, slipper maker, #239.
Albert C. HARZOG, undertaker, #240 & #137 Throop Avenue.
Named for Francis HOPKINSON, signer of the Declaration of Independence.
The Roman Catholic Reformatory of the House of Good Shepard, established 1868, at 229 Henry Street.
The last survivor of the founders (a nun) died in January 1929.
The new building at Hopkinson & Pacific was opened in 1872. The grounds extended from Atlantic
Avenue to Dean Street and from Hopkinson Avenue to Rockaway Avenue. Pacific Street has
been cut thru the tract.
Chas. POPE, jeweler, #147, in the 1880's.
C. URBAN'S Atlantic House on the north west corner of Atlantic is still standing.
Wm. C. EDWARD'S, warehouse, #10.
A. TURNER Hall was created on the block bounded by Howard & Saratoga Avenues, Marion & Sumpter Street.
Christian BAUER, mason, #17.
Was first Wyckoff Avenue, later Smith Street or Avenue. The street opened 1851 from Flushing
Avenue to the Greenpoint line at Frost Street. Along the street were two gold & silver fish
ponds, one at Moore Street and the other at Varet Street.
Martin WORN, furniture factory, #103 at Siegel Street, was struck by lightning during a
severe storm on a Saturday afternoon in June 1884 and destroyed by fire.
The 3rd District Police Court in the 1880's, held on the 2nd floor of a frame building on
Humboldt Street & Montrose Avenue.
John SCHMEISER, produce, #387.
The old town burying ground was in 1855, in the block bounded by
Humboldt, Kingsland, Withers & Frost Street.
On the east side of the street between Richardson & Herbert Streets were, Colonade Row,
a row of 6 dwellings with tall pillars, built in the 1850's.
Wm. R. MOENCH, snuff manufacturer, established in the Eastern District in 1869,
in the 1880's, #29 Humboldt St.
PROVOST, WARREN, & Co, soap & candle makers, #26.
Paul WOHLFORTH & Son, scavengers, #51.
Williamsburgh Brewery, #197.
Adolph NEFF, provisions, #274.
Henry J. HEATHER'S livery stables, #369.
James H. WALLING, mason, #627.
Name is a corruption of aander vleij: along the meadow. The road ran from the junction
of Lotts Lane, aka REIDS Road, on the line of Reid Avenue from the
Jamacia Turnpike southeast through the town of New Lotts to Canarsie, 2 1/3 miles long.
The Hunterfly Road intercepted the Flatlands Neck Road at Howard Avenue and ran along this
road to Plunders Neck to the Salt Meadows lying on both sides of Spring Creek. These meadows
were owned in common by the inhabitants of the town of Brooklyn.
Hunterfly was later replaced in parts by Fulton & Howard Avenues.
Hunterfly Place is a remnant of the Hunterfly Road, a more interesting remnant can be seen
on the south side of Bergen Street, west of Buffalo Avenue, here the old road is still open,
cutting into the otherwise solidly built up block, the old frame houses covered in shingles
of the old style are standing, gable end to Bergen Street in a perculiar formation, showing
plainly how the old country road wound it's way.