enter name and hit return
THE EASTERN DISTRICT of BROOKLYN
Jackson Street was probably named for Daniel JACKSON, who had some landed interest in Williamsburgh.
Frederick LUNG, provision dealer, #175.
The CONSELYEA farmhouse stood, facing the village green, on the southside of Jackson Street,
west of Humboldt & north of Skillman Avenue.
It was built about 1661 near a branch of Bushwick Creek, of the early Dutch style, with a long
sloping roof. The orchard was a landmark.
Nearby was the CONSELYEA Mill, in the summer time the mill pond was covered with pond lilies.
Andrew CONSELYEA was the owner in the 1840's. He was caught in the mill
wheel about 1855 and his body was found in the mill pond.
Mrs Andrew J. CONSELYEA, the last of the family, died in 1873. In 1882 part of the old structure
was cut away and finally in 1898 the CONSELYEA house had to give way to the march of progress.
The Three Cent Schooner House was at the corner of Lorimer Street.
Fred SCHNEIDER & Bros., makers of soda water, Jackson Street. corner Union Avenue.
Opened in 1854 running from Hunterfly Road to Jamaica.
|JAMAICA & BROOKLYN PLANK ROAD|
Ran from Union Avenue at Fifth Street, southeast to Leonard Street. It is now covered by McCARREN Park.
Formerly J Street.
An early row boat ferry was on the foot of this street.
The "wharf & office" of the coal dealer, H. E. BOWNS were at the foot of Java.
The ship building industry of Greenpoint was started in 1844 when, John ENLIS of New York City
established a ship yard here on the river front between Java & Kent Streets. His son John became his
partner in 1864. In the spring of that year the ship yards were driven away to the New England States
by the Eight hour strike.
In 1889, John ENGLIS & Sons, ship builders, were at the corner of Greenpoint Avenue & West Street.
A.K. MESEROLE had a coal yard on Java Street where the Astral flats were built in 1889.
The yard was next door to the Dutch Reformed Church on Java. When the ediface became too small a
new one was built on Kent Street, ROBERTS was the builder. This church used to
hold picnics in the Meserole Grove.
P. S. #22, 1855, Java between Franklin & Manhattan Avenue.
Primary #2, 1867, Manhattan Avenue in district No.22.
Evening School #6 was held in P.S. #2 on Java Street.
The Standard Marble Works , #240.
James SMITH, toy manufacturer,, #143-45.
Frederick S. ASTON, metal dealer, #230.
Several factories and dwellings on Java Street & Manhattan Avenue were destroyed by fire,
November 18, 1898.
The side wheel steamer Adirondacks, 400' in length with 5 decks, was built in the ENGLIS ship yard, 1895.
The Rheumatic Institution, #258.
George W. W. WOOD, house mover, #701 Jefferson Avenue.
Chas. GODDARD, the Republican Leader in the 1870's, Jefferson Street corner Bushwick Avenue,
Rufus L. SCOTT,
Henry DAWSON, the Alderman of the 18th Ward.
Judge Abraham H. DAILEY, settled in Williamsburgh, 1858, where he was elected
Justice of the 4th District Court, 1863. In later times he lived on Jefferson Street.
Chas. BETHON, built his house in 1881, #60-62.
A. N. BAUMANN & Co., printers, #140.
George HERRLEIN, mason, #171.
Formerly known as Ninth Street, Greenpoint.
The Phoenix achine Pattern Works, #90.
John KING, stair builder, on Jewel.
Named for General Jeremiah JOHNSON, originally Johnson Road, in 1845, later Johnson Street,
after consolidation of 1855 it changed to Johnson Avenue.
Johnson Street was opened in 1831 from Broadway to Bushwick Avenue.
The National Show Case Co., #20.
The stables of the New York Brooklyn Brewing Co., #40.
The Brooklyn Hebrew Dispensary, #70.
I. HELLER, sheet iron, #117.
Andrew GOETZ'S Sons, hay & grain place, #228.
The Atlantic Hose Co. No.2, 1855, near Bushwick Avenue.
A. & M. HECKELMAN, refridgerators, #260.
H. A. SMITH, produce, at Bushwick Place.
WOLFSOHN & BERMAN, poultry gealers, #318.
M. SCAEFER, provision dealer, #575.
JAHR'S little half way house was at the junction of Flushing Avenue.
JAHR always had a number of dogs around and his patrons called him the dogfather.
In this vicinity was the toll gate of the Cypress Hills Plank Road Co., surrounded by large trees,
on either side were silver & gold fish ponds, one known as ACKER'S Pond
and the other, PATSY'S Pond.
William STAATS, painter, #57, in the 1880's.
Athanasis KOHLREISER, wagon maker, #5.
GASTEIGER & SCHAEFER'S, feed market, formerly VOLKOMMER & Co., #23, was completely destroyed by fire,
December 15, 1910.
Wm. MEYER'S meat chopping place, #38.
Mathias SCHWARZ, turner, #44.
Jacob DENINGER, turner, #44.
A large varnish factory at #54, destroyed by fire, October 11, 1890.
A five story factory, at #105-07, also by fire, October 12, 1906.
B. STERN & Co., laces, #113.
J. SENZ & Son, wagon makers, #144.
Jacob GOERING, sewing machines, #170.
Martin SCHAEFER, tripe dealer, 1890, the corner of Graham Avenue.
Henry KOFFERL, watch maker, #182.
John K. GRUBEL, produce, #183.
Berl ANNENBERG, watch maker, #194.
Matthew McDONALD, house and smithy at #230, in 1878.
Karl HELD,sewing machines, #231.
Gottlieb BOETTINGER, carriage painter, #238.
George KING, horse shoer, #242.
Henry DITTRICK, provisions, #244.
John BENZMILLER, wheelwright, #250.
Lendolin BURGER, wheelwright, #253.
Joseph BINNS, paste manufacturer,, Johnson Avenue, White & Boerum Streets.