enter name and hit return
THE EASTERN DISTRICT of BROOKLYN
Was named for Thomas McKEAN, a signer of the Declaration of Independence
The name was taken from Thomas M. KEAP and the error was never rectified.
It was opened from Lee Avenue to Division Avenue in 1858.
Tenth Street, Williamsburgh, was opened in 1851 from Union Avenue to the Brooklyn line
on Division and was later a part of Keap. (in 1855).
The Chrome Steele Works were located at the corner of Kent Avenue.
CARDWELL & HAWKINS, builders, established in 1880. This firm erected
the Reformed Espiscopal Church on the corner of Keap and Marcy Avenue.
John HARRIS, leather dresser, #430.
John DUNN, manufacturer of soda water, #432.
Harry W. PEACE Co., saw makers, #469.
M. T. DAVIDSON was the inventor of the steam pump.
In 1880 the DAVIDSON Steam Pump Co. was formed, at #41-47.
The First Free Baptist Church corner of Marcy Avenue.
The Jewish Congregation Beth Elohim, organized in 1851. A house was purchased in 1860 at the
corner of Marcy and South 1st Street, Williamsburgh.
The Temple Beth Elohim on Keap Street & Division was erected in 1876, the building was damaged
by fire on November 19, 1908.
The first Colored School #3 was on the east side of the street, between Ainslie & Devoe Streets.
It occupied a brick building and was known as Tenth Street Primary.
Miss HUNT was the principal.
The synagogue corner Marcy Avenue & South 1st Street, was sold to the German Lutheran Church Emmanuel,
when the temple on Keap Street was finished in 1876.
The Rev. HARTZMAN was the Rabbi in 1865 on Marcy Avenue.
Richard J. BURNETT, plumber, #122 10th Street, in the 1880's.
James L. SMITH'S, boot & shoe store was also on 10th Street at that time.
The Eagle Saw Mill was at the bottom of the street, opened by SMITHBrothers, (William SMITH & Son),
lumber yard in 1850 and for many years after who cut practically all the lumber used in Greenpoint
ship yards. The mill itself when it went out of business became a shipyard. The rafts at SMITH'S
shipyard were a favorite swimming place for the boys.
J. W. & W. F. SMITH'S sawmill was located in 1890 at the corner of Kent & West Street.
William E.UPTEGROVE, cigars, #19.
Eberhard FABER, lead pencils, established in 1861, organized in N.Y.C., moved
to Greenpoint in 1872, corner of Kent & West Street.
Lewis RAYMOND, est. 1845, metallic life boats.
He died in 1876, his son, Lewis H. RAYMOND, moved the plant in 1886
from #120 Avenue D, in N.Y.C., to #72 Kent Street, Greenpoint.
The Reformed Dutch Church of Greenpoint was founded in 1848. Meetings were held in a loft over
David SWATIN'S general store on Franklin near Green Street.
In 1850 a frame ediface was built on Java Street near Franklin.
The present church at #149 Kent, was dedicated January 30, 1870.
The Church of the Ascention, Protestant Episcopal, organized December 20, 1846, was built in
1851 on Franklin near Java.
In 1853 the ediface was erected on Kent, between Franklin & Manhattan Avenue. A permanent church
was built in 1865, dedicated September 16, 1866. Rev. MANSFIELD was the rector.
Transcibers NOTE: According to Church of the Ascention WEBSITE , it has never been on Franklin.
Odd Fellows Hall was in 1853, Kent Street east of Manhattan Avenue.
The cornerstone of the new Kent Street Reformed Church Mission, was laid, February 19, 1891.
KENT & CHALWELL, masons, #59.
James CAMPBELL, wheelwright, #67.
F. DEICKER Co., wagon works & NAGLE'S machine shop on Kent, between West & Franklin were
destroyed by fire on January 28, 1899.
Henry H. BALLON'S, livery stable #70.
Harvey TALMAGE, ship chandler, #138.
A. ZUNDEL, photographer, #176.
J.SCHANDEL near Oakland Street.
Charles Street was laid out in 1829 from Sands land on the Brooklyn line to Grand Street.
This became First Street.
Chase Avenue ran from the Wallabout Road (Flushing Avenue) to Williamsburgh line in 1845.
Chase was closed when Kent opened, the road still exsisted in 1853.
Chase Avenue had been named for Samuel CHASE ,
signer of the Declaration of Independence.
Kent Avenue was opened in 1847, from Flushing Avenue to the Williamsburgh line at Division
Avenue. It was opened from the Brooklyn town line to Grand Street in 1828, a number of
cow stables were along this line.
TONAK'S Cafe, on the north side not far from the Greenpoint Bridge over Bushwick creek.
The Williamsburgh Gas Light Co, in 1880, west of Kent Avenue, between North 12th & North 11 Streets.
Willow Grove was a picnic ground along the river and Bushwick Creek between North 10th & North 8th.
There was a tavern and facilities for bathing, boating, & fishing.
Willow trees lined the shore road from Bushwick Creek to Wallabout.
A. ROSENBLUM, produce, #101.
Eugene DOHERTY, rubber goods, #110.
BLAISDELL & Co., wagon, manufacturer, #111.
Col. Francis TITUS' house stood in the early days near North 6th Street.
Northern Liberties Engine Co. #5, organized by Graham POLLY, had their headquarters
in 1835 near North 4th.
Phil COONEY'S Tavern, near Metropolitan Avenue, was known in 1855 as #246 First Street.
The first village hall was a small frame building which stood gable end to street, just north of
Grand Street, erected in 1830, by John LUTHER. The trustees held meetings
in the first part, the justice of the peace also held office there, the lower floor was a
In 1852 the City Hall was at Suth 2nd Street, just west of Bedford Avenue, in 1854, it was on
Wythe Avenue, back from the street, between South 4th & South 5th.
Abel SMITH established in 1845, licorice maufacturing business, which in the 1880's was conducted
by YOUNG & SMYLIE on Kent Avenue, between South 1st & South 2nd
and then known as #180-186 1st Street.
R.W. REID, plumber supplies, #272.
The People's Stream Sugar Refinery was between South 2nd & South 3rd, in 1855 the #169-173.
BREHM Brothers, cigar box makers, established in 1868,
#212-214 in the early 1880's,later, Broadway & Dunham Place.
The James M. WATERBURY House stood in the 1840's on high ground at the water front
where the sugar houses are now. His yachts "Una" & later the "Julia" had their anchor at Wallabout.
HAVEMEYER & ELDERS' Sugar refinery at South 3rd Street, was destroyed
by fire, January 9,1882. It started on a Sunday evening, illuminating the sky for miles around
and was still smouldering weeks later. Two more fires, September 7,1889 & October 31, 1906.
Frederick HAVEMEYER died July 28, 1891.
The Williamsburgh Hotel in 1855, #131 1st Street.
F. W. WURSTER'S Foundry & Axle Works were in the early 1880's , #130-144 1st Street.
Fred W. WURSTER was the last mayor of the City of Brooklyn. The foundry later, #375 Kent Avenue,
and the plant has spread along the South 6th Street & Dunham Place.
Brooklyn Ferry Co. of New York, in 1905, #392.
Burr WATERMAN & Co., block factory, 1855, Kent & South 8th.
Colonade Row was on the east side of Kent from South 8th to South 9th, it was occupied by
Dr. Abraham BERRY, was the first Mayor of Williamsburgh, 1852 to 1853.
He was born in 1798 and died, 1866.
William WALL was the 2nd and last Mayor of Williamsburgh 1854.
He was born, 1800, died, 1872.
It is said the two mayors were brothers-in-laws.
The FRANKLIN House stood, 1855, near South 10th.
A "colonial" house, with columns, near South 10th was razed in 1911.
GUILD & GARRISON, steam pumps #457.
The Washington Hotel, kept by A.F. KRACKE, was near South 11th.
H. BRIDGMAN SMITH, paper box manufacturer,, #491.
RANNY Refridgerator Co., #495.
A. BOERUM farm house stood on Shore Road, now Kent Avenue between Division & Rush.
John MOLLENHAUER'S sugar refinery, established about 1869, Kent Avenue near South 11th.
MORRELL & AUSTIN, established 1858, lumberyard, Wallabout at the foot of Morton Street.
The plant was moved to Newton Creek & became known as CROSS, AUSTIN & IRELAND Lumber Co.
The Nassau Gas Light Co., 1871, on the northwest corner of Cross.
The Old Star House, established 1851. It's building on the northeast corner of Clymer Street,
was erected in 1875. Nick KROGMAN kept the resort.
J. T. STORY, established 1875, coal business, at #164 to 176 Kent.
He had his coal yard on Wallabout Canal and another in South Brooklyn.
The building at the foot of Wilson Sreet, TUTTLE Building.
The H. P. READ Lead Works, had a store at #605 Kent and another at 1320 Broadway.
The New York Sand & Facing Co.,#610.
SIMPSON Rubber Co., #657.
J. M. STREETON Co, silk manufacturer, #643.
Chrome Steel Works, #643.
Kent and Hooper, #643.
J. T.PERKINS Co, yarns,#643.
The TROW Directory Printing & Book Binding Co. #689.
Chloroxine Works, a patent medicine, #702.
Thomas GILL Soap Co. #711.
George L.HARRIS Wallabout Blustone Yard, was at Kent & Hewes.
HARRIS' sucessoers were J. M. FILCHER & Co. who owned the business in 1889.
D.APPLETON & Co., printing office & bindery, was in 1870, between Hewes & Penn Street.
Edward FREEL, born 1829, was the builder.
Major Barent JOHNSON was born and lived upon the JOHNSON farm at Wallabout opposite
the later Naval Hospital Grounds, northeast corner of Kent & Hewes.
He died in 1782,
His son was General Jerimiah JOHNSON.
The latters son, Barent JOHNSON'S son was Jeremiah JOHNSON, Jr.
The General JOHNSON House was built in 1810, dutch style frame, covered in cedar shingles,
1 and 1/2 stories high, with dormer windows on the roof and a cellar under the entire building.
It had 17 large rooms. It had stoops with seats in front and rear of the main building and half
doors with brass knockers. A 12ft hall ran thru the center. Ten spouts to gutters on the main
building extending several feet beyond the corners under which caskets to catch the rain water.
General JOHNSON was born in the old farmhouse at the north east corner of Kent & Hewes
on January 23, 1766.
His ancestors had settled in Gravesend in 1657.
He was Mayor of Brooklyn in 1837-38.
He died October 20, 1852.
Barent JOHNSON, a son of the General, resided until 1868 in the General JOHNSON House.
The farm as well as the REMSEN farm at Wallabout were occupied by the British and
Hessian soldiers after the Battle of Long Island and until peace was made. Barent JOHNSON
had furnished the United States Government with the substantial sum of money to meet expenses in
the days of the Revoluntionary War.
At the outbreak of the Civil War there were but few streets and no sewers. Kent Avenue was
the only open road, known as Shore Road & upon it the one horse cars running.
The "HEIGHTS" was a named applied to the land along the south shore of Grand Street.
The Williamsburgh Gazette, May 25, 1835, " The Heights might be so laid and improved as
to accomodate commerce & manufacturing operation and at the same time afford a public
promenade nowhere surpassed for healthfulness or beauty and extent of prospect".
This was at a time of free circulation of paper money by the banks and apparently everyone was
borrowing. Lots sold, buildings erected, soon Grand Street was laid out from Union Avenue to
Bushwick Avenue and 14 buildings along it's line. Well known New Yorkers with an interest
John LORIMER GRAHAM,
Edgar S. Van WINKLE,
William P. POWERS,
Gen. S.F. HUNT,
The crash came in 1837 and the village was dead until 1843 when business once again resumed.
From just above Grand Street because of the soil conditions, willow trees flourished and the
section was known as 'Willow Grove'. In the midst of it was a sort of tavern.
RAYNOR'S Regatta Pavilion took an entire block on Kent between North 6th & 7th,
running down to the rivers edge, partly on a bluff. There was a garden and a pleasure railway
of wood that ran in a circle, refreshments of all kinds were served, a place for regattas.
Williamsburgh a century before had just been incorporated two years prior, there had only
been two roads of importance. A few minor roads but no streets. Large ponds were scattered
around, a sundry place of frogs,turtles, & snakes. A sloping beach, sandy & pebbly fringed
in places with Lombardy polars, exsisting from Brooklyn line to Bushwick Creek.
Shore Road ran along the beach from Wallabout to Metropolitan later extending to Ravenswood,
Astoria & Flushing.
While WOODHULL and MORRELLS' were arguing, Gen. Jeremiah JOHNSON purchased
the Charles TITUS farm, his second, and in his going back and forth bewteen the
Wallabout and his Williamsburgh farm, he became annoyed at having to open and close some
17 barred gates within a distance of a half mile along the shore. He proposed to the owners of
these lands that they unite with the front of their properties from the Wallabout Bridge Road
to the Newton & Bushwick Bridge Road at WOODHULL'S Ferry. It was declined.
However, taking the matter in his own hands, suveyed the proposed road, and gave due notice of
application, got together a petition and by personal interest in Albany secured the required
authority and within one month, Jeremiah had that road opened by Commissioners of the Town of
Brooklyn & Bushwick.
Now business largely increased at the ferry and public attention was more then ever drawn to
the advantages of residence afforded by Williamsburgh.
At WOODHULL'S Ferry, the Shore Road met and continued in an easterly direction. This was the
shortest route from Jamaica to N.Y.C. and at the bottom of the road was the original ferry
landing, a single horse boat sufficed. These were the principal roads.
There were small roads, one short affair and sundry lane leading from farm to farm,
one to WYCKOFF'S Woods, a favorite of the young on a summer afternoon, another was the
old Kuijkuit Lane, usually called Keikout Lane, which ran in every direction winding between
hills and ponds.
Through Neziah BLISS of Greenpoint a foot bridge was built on Kent Avenue,
before this Greenpointers in order to get to Williamsburgh had to go by boat or crossed around
the Bushwick bridge. Now they had a pleasant walk to Power House Hill.
The U.S. Government had at the juntion of Bushwick Creek and the East River had a powder magazine
being located on the top of the hill, affording a magnificent view.
Kent Avenue was named for Chancellor James KENT, an emminent New York jurist, who died in 1847.
The first horse cars ran on Kent in 1854.
Graham POLLY was born in a frame house on what is now the southeast corner Kent
Avenue & North 4th Streetr which remained his residence.
Lowell M. PALMER, established 1870, a terminus of the Erie R. R. at PALMER'S Dock.
The Board of Aldermans granted permission for trains to cross Kent at North 5th, where a brick
depot three stories high and extending to Wythe Avenue was erected.
It soon got very crowded. The water front, including the dock at the foot of North 6th Street,
extending south to PALMER'S Dock and west to Kent Avenue was bought
from James McLEARY, and a regular network of tracks were laid.
PALMER'S Cooperage, a 6 story brick building on Kent bewteen North 6th & North 7th.
The great fire in DICK & MEYER'S Sugar Factory so badly damaged these buildings that
they were razed and the site became part of the freight yard tract.
DICK & MEYER'S Sugar Refinery had been built on the site of an old glass plate factory.
Lowell M. PALMER had erected a new cooperage between North 5th & 6th Streets.
The barrells suppling all the sugar houses, which stood along the shore from Wallabout to Newton
Creek were made here. About. 1888, on a Saturday night, a fire broke out in the plant causing
the death of a watchman, Peter DONOHUE and did damage to the extent of
a million daollars. Two brothers of the name JOHNSON were found guilty of
having set the fire.
Austin NICHOLS & Co. erected their warehouse at North 3rd to North 4th Streets in 1914.
A whalebone & rubber goods factory was in the vicinity of Metropolitan Avenue.
HAVEMEYER'S old sugar refinery later covered this site. The HAVEMEYER'S began in a humble way,
in a former hay and storage house owned by a man, HUSSE.
The two brothers William L. & Frederick Charles HAVEMEYER had started the old refinery on
Vanderveer Street in N.Y.C. in 1880.
The son of Frederick Charles, Frederick C. HAVENMEYER retired later.
In 1858, however he went into business again for his sons and bought an interest with HUSSE
Storage house property. The plant increased but fire destroyed it almost completly.
It was rebuilt in 1877. Frederick C. HAVENMEYER'S sons associated in business
with their brother-in-law,ELDERS, and a firm known as HAVENMEYE & ELDERS
from North 1st to Grand was the business section.
MORRELL erected his row of brick houses here.
The post office, COOKE, was the post master, he sold paints and oils.
People burnt whale oil in their lamps in those days, kerosene was still 30 years away.
The Justices Court was here,
Squire PARISH at the bench and
Judge SOPER'S Law office.
Levi W. UFFORD'S dry goods.
LOWERRE'S tin shop & stove store,.
all these before the lower ferry was started (to Peck Slip in N.Y.C).
Many farmers who crossed the ferry here, would drive all the way from Grand Street, New York to
Fulton Market to sell their truck.
About 1836, The Williamsburgh Gazette office was on Water Street, later River Street.
The Post Office had moved to Grand. It occupied a circular shaped corner in LATHAM'S Coffee & Cake
saloon at present #16. Hirasn ROSS, was then the post master.
The Flushing stage owned and operated by a man named BYRD, stopped here on it's way to
Pearl & Doyer Streets, N.Y.C. The stage took the mail to N.Y. and passengers were charged
25 cents from this place to N.Y.
John & Thomas MORRELL house, southside of Grand, back from the road nearer to Wythe.
Noah WATERBURY'S, stood on the west side of Kent between South 1st & 2nd. He was the leading
yacht owner in his day, equaled only by Edwin STEVENS, of STEVENS Point, Hoboken, New Jersey.
Leonard T. COLES House, between South 1st & 2nd.
The distillary established by Jordon COLES was here close to the waters edge.
The John MILLER House, east side of Kent, between South 2nd & 3rd.
The Fountain Inn, near South 1st was probably built by the MESSEROLE Family.
Issac MESSEROLE sold the 12 acre farm and the house to Francis TITUS.
The Abraham MESEROLE House, east side of Kent, between South 3rd & 4th Streets.
The John MILLER House was built by Peter MILLER in 1798.
At the same time Frederick DEVOE had built his house in the center of the block.
Bounded by Kent & Wythe, South 4th & 5th Street, other records say he inherited the house from
his father. This was now known as the John DEVOE house.
The Andrew CONSELYEA House, southeast corner of South 5th.
Samuel HICK'S stood on the east side of Kent between South 6th & 7th (Broadway).
Just north of the Kings County Hotel, which was on the northeast corner of Broadway, was the
DUNHAM Mansion with it's large and beautiful garden.
On the southside of Broadway, the stone house of Captain R. GRISWOLD, in the midst of a
garden which covered the whole square.
David DUNHAM, lived in it til the early 1820's.
His son D. R. DUNHAM, may have built the mansion north of Broadway.
HANSFIELD & HUFF ran the stone house as hotel in the 1840's.
Captain CRACKE'S bath hoses were on the beach near South 11th Street.
Colonade Row, a residential quarter, akin to Brooklyn Heights, was on the east side of the
road between South 8th & South 9th Streets. The people living there had an unobstructed view
of the river as far as Governor's Island.
Lawrence WATERBURY, who establishedd a ropewalk near WALL'S ropewalk.
When the factories began to built up around them the owners deserted the houses.
Noah WATERBURY'S Distillary, is said to be the first industry established in Williamsburgh,
it's probable that the Brooklyn Distilling Co., established. between South 9th & 10th Streets,
and adjoing MOLLENHAUER'S sugar hose property were rebuilt in 1915 for the F. & M. SCHAEFER Brewing Co.
On the northeast corner of South 10th, Colonel GARDNER, kept the South Side House,
Billy MATHIAS was the Colonel's successor.
Directly opposite the ferry on Roosevelt Street, N.Y.C., which was started in opposttion to the
Peck Slip ferry, Joseph J.O'DONOHUE & George LAW were the principal contestants
in the ferry war. O'DONOHUE, who then lived on South 9th Street,
was the final victor and held control until his death.
After HANSFEILD left the stone house he built a tavern on the bluff near South 10th Street,
on the site which was occupied 30 years before by the MOLLENHAUER'S sugar house.
The office of Kings Distillery was in HANSFIELD Tavern. Later he opened a 3rd place along
the shore, between South 8th & South 9th Streets, calling it, Williamsburgh Garden and
many balls and festivities were held there.
GUILD & GARRISON'S Machine shop was later established there.
The Jacob BERRY residence and grounds were between South 10th & South 11th Streets.
The Abraham BOERUM farm took in the frontage on Kent from South 11th to Division Avenue.
On the shore near Division was FRYAT & CAMPBELL'S, bone boiling establishment.
The factory was considered a landmark because of it's 150ft chimney. The firm was succeded
by Charles B.DeBURG, in the 1850's, then by PRESTON, who established a similar factory
on Newton Creek. The population had grown and the stench became a nuisance, an order of removal
had been issued. The chimney was propped up with pine posts and then the foundation was removed
and a fire was built about the posts. the posts being burned away the chimney then collapsed.
Before the bone boiling place was established CAPE'S shipyard had occupied the site
as well as the site of the Sulphur Works of Frederick SCHOLES, close by.
CLARKE'S White Lead Works, near Division Avenue near the site of the B. R. T. Power Station.
BARRON'S Smelting Works, near Rush St.
Bushwick Bridge led from First Street to Franklin Street, Greenpoint.
A toll gate was in the middle of the bridge over Bushwick Creek in 1857.
Henry GROSS' brewery was in the 1860's located at the corner of North 9th, in the 1880's he was
at #435 First Street.
In the 1860's, Ralph W. KENYON lumber dealer, #243 First Street,
and in the 1880's at #309 First Street.
Ariel PATTERSON, ship builder and Shipsmith, 1860's, #273 First Street, near North 3rd Street.
Noah WATERBURY had in the early days a ropewalk in Brooklyn. He died in 1854.
The POND'S Extract Building, 146 First St.
F. W. WURSTER, started his plant in 1875 with a foundry, 1878 started to make axles also
and steel springs. He erected a 6 story brick building on the corner of South 6th Street in 1880.
Originally he rented from David JONES, a NY brewer, then he bought the property.
WURSTER'S parents came about 1830 from Germany and settled in Plymonth, North Carolina.
He was born there on April 1, 1850. When he was 7 the family settled in Brooklyn.
A man named PAULSEN made glue and ground bone at Kent opposite COB Dock in 1850.
1852, Charles DeBURG, started to manufacture fertilizer on the former PAULSEN place.
PAULSEN may have been a partner, the firm name, FRYAT & CAMPBELL.
In 1858, DeBURG started the use of dried meat as a source of ammonia and the
odor was so offensive that the city authorities compelled him to stop.
In 1860, E. Frank COE took the work vacated by DeBURG and started to make super
phosphate of lime and continued until 1864 when he moved to Hunters Point but still resided
at #41 South 9th Street.
Stephen BALLARD made belting in 1865, at 333 Pearl St, N.Y.C. and
resided at #39 South 9th Street, Williamsburgh.
He was later at #26 First Street and sold his plant to Union Belting Co., at N.Y. #1884.
John MOLLENHAUER, was born in 1827 in Germany, came to N. Y. in 1850 and found
employment in a grocery store. He opened his own in 1852. In 1869 he established the sugar refinery on
Kent & Rush. In 1887 he turned the business over to his eldest sons, J. Adolph & F. D. MOLLENHAUER.
Sherlock AUSTIN, lumber dealer, lived in the 1880's, Kent & Cross.
Robinson GILL & his brother Edward GILL, established a stoneyard in 1852 or 53 at the
corner of Rodney Street. Edward GILL died in 1853 and his brother became the sole owner.
In 1866, Andrew D. BAIRD became Robinson's partner, establishing the yard at
Wythe & Keap under the name " GILL & BAIRD".
Andrew D. BAIRD, was born in 1839, in Scotland.
O. F. HAWLEY, lumber, located in the early 1880's at the corner of Rodney Street.
Richard G. PHELPS & Co.lumber, Kent & Hewes.
D. APPLETON & Co., book factory, 1867, #201-219 Kent Avenue.
Daniel APPLETON had founded the publishing company in 1825.
S. M. LYON, dentist, in 1880's, #109 Kent.
The Peoples Gas Light Co, organized in 1864.
The MOLLENHAUER Sugar Refinery bought the water front property of the
Peoples Gas Light Co. from the sum of 300,000 dollars on June 11, 1896. MOLLENHAUER'S steam
yacht Thelma, burned off Huntington, Long Island on July 7, 1896.
Frederick DEVOE, a son of Johannes DEVOE, lived on Shore Road, #184 First Street,
near the corner of South 4th Street. The sides of the mansion were covered in shingles.
In 1877 the house was turned into a steam and sawmill and the grounds around it covered in
lumber. DEVOE had 40 acres of land attached to his residence.
There was a street that cut thru part of the farm known as DEVOE Street, extending from Union
to Morgan Avenue. The house and lot DEVOE inherited from his father.
He died in 1829, his widow in 1851, aged 81 years.
They had 7 seven children, the second oldest William L. married Malvina WAKEMAN and he resided
in N.Y.C. They had no children.
William L. DEVOE died in 1858 leaving large property, mostly in real estate. In his will he
made ample provisions for the support of his wife and the American Bible Society recieved the
sum of 151,000 dollars as part of the avails of this legacy and it was expected that on
the death of the testators widow about $75,000 more would be paid over to the society.
The house numbers changed considerbly along Kent Avenue, when First Street, Williamsburgh, was
made a part of Kent Avenue in 1885. The numbers on the list below of establishments are given,
as they are in use today, however some firms have been mentioned elsewhere, under the old numbers.
John BRAUN, ship chandler, #65.
The Creedmoor Beer Co., makers of soft drinks, #67-73.
Charles FRICK, provisions, #86.
A. ALTENBRAND, brewery, #96.
Herman HOOPS, provisions, #127.
Col. Francis TITUS house stood in the early days on Kent Avenue near North 6th Street.
Eugene DOHERTY, rubber goods, #112.
James HANNON, metal dealer, #233.
Peter J. MOUNT, nickel plater, & C.B.
DEMAREST & Co, manufacturer, of church chairs, #72.
Otto FLUNGBEIN, provisions, #297.
R.J. WADDELL & Co. sand & emory paper, #341.
Brooklyn Leather Belting Co, was at #55 in 1890.
Hiram WILLIAMS, naval stores, #363.
George P. JACOBS & Co. makers of iron pipes, #369-71.
The Iron Foundry of F. W. WURSTER & Co., #375 Kent, in 1890.
Charles REINHOF, metal spinner, &
J. E. LEHMAN & Co. &
Thomas WALL & Co., both railroad suppliers, #381.
Jerome MILLS, manufacturer of paper makers, #392.
Benjamin R. MESEROLE, & Jeremiah V. MESEROLE, surveyors, #397.
National Meter Co. #430.
FINK Brothers, oil manufacturer, #486.
The MOLLER & SIERCK Co., sugar refiners, 1890, #502.
Robert LOW'S Son, perfumer, #509.
Sun Manuf. Co., makers of sun shine scouring soap, #526-534.
Cross AUSTIN & Co., lumber, 1890, Kent & corner of Cross Street.
Michael PETERS, horse shoer, #570.
Charles C. ABBE, mechanical engineer, #589.
Frederick TEGGE, wagon maker, #591.
Bernard QUINN'S, Livery stables, #597.
Hartwell H. BELLOW'S, washboard manufacturer,#600.
James N. BREWSTER, mill wright, #600.
BREWSTER had until 1870 occupied the old Abraham A. REMSEN farm at the foot of Clymer Street.
Frederick SCHOLES' Sulphur Co., #624.
The R. H. McDONALD Drug Co.#635.
William C. WAGNER Medical Manufacturer Co., was in the same building
and had another plant at 1222 Bedford Avenue
Joseph T. PERKINS, wood & willoware, at the corner of Hooper Street.
Joseph M. PITCHER & Co., stone yard, corner of Hewes.
The Borax Soap Works, #711.
Willaim H. BURBANK, morocco manufacturer, #727.
D. MURPHY, mason, #842.
Morris JACKSON, printer, #868.
James DOLAN, mason, #874.
Ran from Bushwick Creek south to the Kijkuit on South 4th Street, to & along South 6th to about
Hooper, along Union Avenue to & along North 2nd to Bushwick Village.
The New York Flexible Wood Flooring Co., was #349.
SOLON & FLEMING'S oil works were near Meserole Avenue & Calyer Street.
At one time a fire caused by a stroke of lightning blew up eight tanks and some vessels nearby
The American Rattan & Reed Manufacturing Co., located on Kingsland.
TRAVERS Brothers, varnish makers, corner of Norman Avenue.
W. DREXLER, provision dealer, #169.
MAURER Bros., manufacturer, of Mineral Water, #222.
American Sheet Metal Works, #232.
The site of the park on Wyckoff Heights, bounded by Knickerbocker & Irving, Starr & Sudam Streets,
purchased about November 1890, owners of the land were;
Phineas T. BARNUM, the showman,
Sarah A. BENNETT
Lawrence & Samuel WATERBURY.
Samuel WEIS, notions, #355.
Chas. JOOS, provision dealer, #409.
The Schwaebische Saenger Bund, organized about 1877, used to meet in 1893 in GRETZ'S
Union Square, Saenger Hall, corner Manhattan & Meserole. The society erected Schwaben Halle,
in it's own building at the junction of Knickerbocker, Myrtle, Green Avenue & Bleecker in 1899.
The Knickerbocker Avenue Methodist Church at the corner of Menahan, organized in 1890.
Playground on the northside from Woodbine Street to Putnam, established in 1911,
opened on September 5, 1912.
F. VOTTELER Bros., wagon Manufacturer, Knickerbocker Avenue.
Bushwick Park, containing 6 acres, opened in 1894.
St. David's Episcopal Church, founded on November 29, 1891, In 1892 a church was built on
Knickerbocker corner Woodbine St.
The stables of Otto SCHAFFNER'S Sons,#152.
Columbia Warehouse, a storage house kept by L. FINK and Son, #608.
DICKERSON & Brothers had a hat factory at #44 Kosciusko Street.
Joseph WILD & Co., 1875 the American Cocoa Matting Co., two factories at 202-218 Kosciusko Street.
George McHUGH'S, livery stables,#28.
Michael J. M. LAUGHLIN, mason,#100.
Edward SHEFFIELD, provisions,#141.
Edward CONMY, horse shoer,#131.
Joseph RAYNOR, livery stables, #153.
Anton SCHOLL'S, wheelwright shop, #312.
D. K. BRAMBLE, livery stables, #353.
Ferdinand WIZAND, musical strings,#630.
Julius LANGDON, sash and door manufacturer,#640.
BEATTIE & EVAN'S, stoneyard,#641.
John J. ARMSTRONG, livery stables were located, #656.