enter name and hit return
THE EASTERN DISTRICT of BROOKLYN
A. L. KASS, steamship agent, #23.
Vanderbilt Hall. corner of Moore Street was destroyed by fire in 1892.
ENGEL & MAISEL, shirt manufacturer, #54.
BURKART'S Sons', Great Buffalo boot & shoe store, established Joseph BURKART in 1870,
the store in 1883 was known as #65 Ewen Street. A stuffed buffalo on the sidewalk in
front front of the store was landmark.
SCHELLING'S, bakery, at McKibben Street.
ALBRECHT'S Hat store, BUCHWALTER'S Hat store, were at one time located in this vicinity.
F. J. BUCHWALTER Son & Co., 1905, #1565 Broadway.
Tony Mary's place, also on old Ewen Street, in the 80's.
H. HASSBERG & Sons, dealers in leather & findings, were at Boerum Street, established in 1853.
Henry C. BOHACK opened is first grocery store in 1888 at the corner of Boerum Street.
COHEN & MANDIBERG'S Resturant, #90, also known as Manhattan Cafe & Restaurant.
J. & A. AVENINUS, men's furnishing goods, #107
The Berlin Skirt Manufacturing Co., #121.
MESIGS' Delicatessen, Montrose Avenue.
Henry HOLLER, photographer, early 1880's, between Meserole & Scholes Street, at old #149 Ewen
established in 1870. The studio was later at the junction of Broadway, Stuyvesant & Vernon Avenues.
Liederkranz Hall, #152.
BARGET'S drug store, established in 1849 corner Scholes Street.
Dr. BINGEL'S office, #174 Ewen Street. between Scholes & Stagg Street.
DAHIBENDER'S brewery, in this building and the doctor's office was above the cafe. Dr.BINGEL,
a graduate of a German university, During the Civil War he followed his profession at the front
and one day was made a prisoner. After the war he again took up practice at the old address;
but moved later to his own property at #96 Ten Eyck Street, where he practiced until 1888.
Chris J. STOCK, packer, #173.
The United States Engine Company No. 4, and in the 1850's at Ten Eyck Street.
Germania Hall, near Ten Eyck Street, kept by Billy GROTZ was the meeting place of physicians,
SCHMIDT & SCHLITZ.
Frederick BOSCH, druggist, established in 1868, #196-98, in the early 80's.
An old church stood at Grand, the parsonage on Manhattan Avenue was converted into a tenement.
Ewen Street Court near Powers Street, the 3-story building was subsequently occupied by
manufacturing concerns. J.GABRIEL'S, hardware store was here in later times.
The Wigwam stood at Metropolitan Avenue, the site, later occupied by Public School #132.
MURRAY'S circus pitched its tent here annually.
VALENTINE & Co., varnish manufacturers, #364.
KENNEDY'S ropeworks were in the meadows at the foot of old Ewen Street.
A very old wooden house stood at Driggs Avenue, Goff HUCK occupied it
in the 1870's, pigs were running around there.
Wm. LEWIS, manufacturer of photograhic materials, established his business in New York, about
1840, moving to Williamsburgh about 20 years later. In 1889 he was at old #137 Manhattan Avenue
and #'s 35 & 38 Quay Street.
E. & H. T. ANTHONY in New York City were his selling agents.
The SHAW wood Working Co.#671.
At #725, between Norman & Meserole, stood a MESEROLE farmhouse, the Meserole Theatre
was built on this site.
J. C. BARRINGTON'S Express office #732.
The Garden Theatre, #742.
The Union Baptist Church stood in 1870 at present #'s 750-752 Manhattan Avenue.
In 1905 the Y.M.C.A. of Greenpoint occupied this building, it was taken down in 1914 to make
room for the new Greenpoint Post Office.
John WINTER'S drug store was located on the northwest corner of Manhattan Avenue and Noble Street.
This property was purchased and the new bank building on its site was occupied in August 1887, here
the bank remained until 1908. A new site was purchased in 1905 on the southwest corner of Manhattan
Avenue and Calyer Street. The bank opened here on November 12, 1908.
The First Methodist Episcopal Church is the oldest church in Greenpoint,
dedicated on February 25, 1847.
Transcibers NOTE: According to Church of the Ascention (WEBSITE) , it is the oldest church
in Greenpoint. 1846.
The Astral Apartments were built about 1889.
A toll gate was on Union Avenue near Manhattan Avenue. In July 1894 the Board of Supervisors
was notified by the U. S. Government, that a new bridge must be built over Newton Creek
connecting Vernon Avenue, Long Island City. The new bridge was opened October 18, 1905. An old
frame car barn stood on Manhattan Avenue at the corner of Box Street. Pat GLEASON'S jigger
ran from here to 34th Street Ferry at the foot of Borden Avenue, the fare was three cents.
This line, believed to have been the last horse car operated on a Brooklyn Street was
discontinued on May 28, 1900.
The Calvary Cemetery, Greenpoint & Brooklyn Railroad cars ran from Newtown Creek Bridge via
Manhattan Avenue, Driggs, Union, Throop & Park Avenues & Navy, Concord, Washington, Front
& Fulton Streets to Fulton Ferry. A branch line ran from Greenpoint Ferry to Fulton Ferry.
The Company's Office was in 1888, at #585 Manhattan Avenue.
In 1868 the Nassau Railroad Company and the Greenpoint & Williamsburgh Railroad Company were
merged into the Brooklyn City & Prospect Park Company.
In 1874 the name was altered to Brooklyn & Crosstown Railroad Company.
In 1872 the cars ran from Erie Basin to Hunter's Point via; Richards & Woodhull Streets,
Atlantic Avenue Court, Joralemon, Willoughby & Raymond Streets, Park, Washington & Kent Avenues,
Broadway, Driggs, & Manhattan Avenues.
The car barns were on Manhattan Avenue between Box & Clay Streets. The cars were colored
red and white and carried a red light.
REICH'S Match store, Manhattan Avenue & Varet Street.
Henry NOLLE'S Cafe at the corner McKibben Street, was the headquarters of the
Gemiithliche Faulenzer Klub.
PITZ'S Cafe was at Varet Street.
Matt DALTON'S Cafe was at Dupont Street.
DAHIBENDER'S & GREINER, brewers, 1880's, #174 Ewen Street.
The Methodist Episcopal Cornerstone Temple was at Milton Street, the building was sold when
a new Methodist Episcopal Church was built on Meserole Avenue. It was thereafter used
as an annex to St. Anthony's Roman Catholic Hall.
Three or four blocks on old Ewen Street, formed the business district of Dutchtown in the 50's.
All stores had solid wooden or rolling shutters which were put up at night. In the morning,
on the west side, the shutters remained in position, or if taken down, were put up while the
sunbeams played on the windows & in the afternoon the same thing happened on the east side,
there were no awnings to protect the displayed goods against the sun.
James GREENE'S glue factory was in the 80's at Ewen Street, corner Bayard Street.
GREENE lived in the 1860's, at #392 North 2nd Street.
William H. LEWIS, in the early 1880's was at old #121 Manhattan Avenue. He made
sensitized paper and other photographic material.
BLISS & BROWN, established in 1856, a hardware and house furnishing goods store on the
corner of Franklin Street & Greenpoint.
William MARLOW, Jr., was a clerk for the firm till 1861, when he succeeded to the business
and moved the store to old #335 Manhattan Avenue, where he was located in the 1880's.
Carman PEARSALL kept another furniture store next door #337.
Stephen ALEXANDER, plumber, #489.
J. A. WARNSLEY, plumber, #564.
The Methodist Mission was parted near the end of 1846 in a 1-story house on the eastside of
Franklin Street, near Huron Street. During the winter of 1847-48. The first services were held
in the office of HOPKIN'S livery stables, which had been rented by Benjamin DOWNING
& Charles HUFF.
A site for the church was purchased on Manhattan Avenue between India & Java Streets. In 1864
during the pastorate of the Rev. John F. BOOTH about half of the congregation
left the church under the Rev. BOOTH'S leadership & organized the Greenpoint Tabernacle.
In 1870 the Tabernacle was erected.
A school house was erected on Manhattan Avenue, between India & Java Streets. In the 1840's;
the first principal was Benjamin R. DAVIS. This school was the
forerunner of Public School #22.
The Chelsea Fiber Mills, 1905, #1155.
The First Methodist Episcopal Church of Greenpoint, #955 Manhattan Avenue, near Java Street,
amalgamated in 1911 with the Tabernacle Methodist Episcopal Church & the consolidated church
became known as Greenpoint Methodist Episcopal Church, located on Manhattan Avenue & Noble Street.
The Tabernacle Methodist Episcopal Church at Manhattan Avenue & Noble Street, had been organized
in 1863. This church was started by seceding members of the First Methodist Episcopal Church.
A plain building was built, called the Greenpoint Methodist Episcopal Tabernacle.
The new edifice was dedicated in 1870.
The Newtown Bridge on (old) Union Avenue, Greenpoint, occupied the same site as the present
Vernon Avenue Bridge.
Ewen Street was named after Daniel EWEN, a city surveyor, residing in New York City,
who surveyed both the original and the new village. Ewen Street is now a part of Manhattan
Manhattan Avenue of today includes three of the old Streets.
Ewen Street was the part lying in the territory of Williamsburgh & extended from Broadway
to Bayard St & was opened in 1850.
Third Street in Greenpoint, was in 1858 known as Orchard Street & extended from Van Pelt
Avenue to Greenpoint Avenue.
Union Street later called Union Avenue, Greenpoint, was after the consolidation of 1855, called
Union Place and extended from Greenpoint Avenue to Newtown Creek.
In this particular list of establishments, the house numbers are given as they were in 1920.
On Ewen Street they start at Broadway and end at Bayard Street.
On Manhattan Avenue they start at Van Pelt Avenue & run to Newtown Creek as the several streets
in Greenpoint had been united under the name of Manhattan Avenue, prior to that time.
KESSEL Brothers, printers, #10 Ewen Street.
Frederick FELDMAN, provisions, #11,
Frederick KRAUSS, manufacturer of ironing boards, #16.
John KNOCHEL, stoves, #22.
Louis REICH'S Son, maker of matches, #26.
Joseph PFEFFER, watch maker, #27.
Martin HEINRICH, wood & willow ware, #32.
United States Notion Company, #45.
Plattdeutcher Volksfeet Verein & Hospital Society was located, #51.
George GEMBS, wood & willow ware, #61.
B. MONNEUSE & Company, musical instruments, #69 with a branch, #893 Broadway.
Louis GLACKENT,toy dealer, #74.
Charles HUTWELKER & Company, provisions, #80.
Michael STEPENS, stoves, #84.
Solomon LEVY, umbrellas, #89.
Conrad WEHRLY, oyster dealer, #103.
Otto LANGSTORTS, Shooting Gallery, #108.
FLEGENHEIMER Brothers, dealers in wines, #119.
Marcus FLEGENHEIMER, bed and mattress maker, #121.
Gottlieb ULRICH, sewing machines, #143.
ZENDEL & Company, photographers, #145.
Jacob STADTMULLER, jeweler, #149.
George A. SCHREITER, umbrellas, #151.
J. W. MUEHIFELD, oyster dealer, #151.
B. WEIL, lace cap manufacturer, #154.
Emil GLAESSEN, stoves, #156.
Frank KNIDELMAN, sausage maker, #170.
Edward FUCHS, musical instruments, #176.
CaRl RUTZ, sewing machines, #192.
William WEHMHOEFFER, soda water maker, #327.
VALENTINE & Co., varnish makers, #464 Ewen Street.
Along original Manhattan Avenue were located:
James A. WEAVER, house mover, #81.
William L. RUSSELL, undertaker, #121.
George W. COBB, mouldings, #131.
OAKLEY & KEATING, machines, #135 to 145.
Alexander SIMPSON, sewing machines, #148.
Eastern District Dye Works, #149 1/2.
William H. MINNIS, dealer in tea, #184.
William T. SEAMAN, mason, #198.
Benjamin J. HILL, dealer in tea, #199 with branch stores at;
#383 Manhattan Avenue, and
183 and 360 Grand Street.
James D. TORREY, printer, #232.
BUTTERFASS & VALENTINE, tobacconists, #239.
Association Hall, #253.
Alexander SPEERS, dealer in tea, #255.
Amos W. SILKWORTH, photographer, #261.
Marie JAECKLE, umbrellas, #264.
William W. HOYT, photographer, #291.
Thomas W. CAMBELL, musical instruments, #294.
F. L. ELDRIDGE, printer, #302.
Peter BURDEN established in his dry goods store at old #365 on the Sparrow Block in 1878,
in 1890 at #313,
in later years he opened a store on Broadway and Cooper Street.
Henry BOSCH,provisions, #322.
Conrad HEIDELBERGER & Sons, provisions, #326.
The "KERAMOS" Office building #327,
ZEIMER'S Conservatory of Music was here and the office of the only public
typewriter in those days, in the Eastern District, Miss SHEPARD.
The 17th Ward Bank was #339.
The Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company, #363.
A fire on July 21, 1893, at John STEVENSON'S store at #403, causing a loss of 40,000 dollars.
Christopher LIEBERS, provisions, #439.
Hugh K. McELROY, dealer in tea, #451.
George FRICK, provisions, #457.
A fire, in the Greenpoint Telephone Exchange, at Manhattan Avenue and Green Street, on
September 30, 1896, caused a loss of over $40,000
Joseph ANDERSON, dealer in tea, #516.
Jacob GOETZ, toy dealer, #535.
John GALLINA, another tea dealer, #541.
Lewis F. EWART, shipsmith, #625.
Standard Co., #634.
Fire in the Chelsea Jute Mills on Manhattan Avenue, July 20, 1878, caused a loss of 50,000 dollars.
Marcy Avenue was named for William Learned MARCY,
Captain in the War of 1812,
Secretary of War, 1845-49,
Secretary of State, 1853-57, and
Governor of NY 1833-39.
Includes since 1885 Eighth Street, Williamsburgh.
Eighth Street opened in 1852 from Division Avenue to Metropolitan Avenue.
Marcy Avenue, opened in 1856 from Broadway to Scholes & Remsen estates.
In 1861 from Lorimer to DeKalb & from Lexington Avenue to Halsey.
YOUNG & Co, pianos & organs, #33.
The Central Baptist Church of Williamsburgh, at the corner of South 5th Street.
The building is now a synagogue.
A Carnegie Branch Library between Division & Rodney, opened January 27, 1905.
The cornerstone for the Eastern District High School at Keap Street, was laid June 26, 1906.
It was opened on February 3, 1908.
John McQUADE & Co., paints, #416.
National Smelting & Refining Works, #419.
MOLLER & SCHUMANN, varnish manufacturer, Flushing Avenue.
The RAPPELYEA stone house stood on Cripplebush Road,. near the Wallabout Road. When Floyd Street
was cut through, the house had to be taken down.
Jeremiah J. RAPPELYEA was born in the house in 1813.
Henry BOERUM purchased the house in 1828, a part of the RAPPELYEA farm and built in 1868,
the house at #153 Nostrand Avenue, at the corner of Vernon Avenue for his daughter,
Mrs. Susan VANDERVEER. This house was taken down in recent years to make room for an
Jeremiah J. RAPPELYEA helped form the Washington Horse Company of which he was
made First Lieutenant.
WILDE'S Tavern at Marcy & Gates, in the 1860's, kept by James T. WILDE.
Bernard SHARKEY, matting, #48.
Samuel PARKS, #148.
Pauline A. Van CAUTEREN, teacher of languages, #329.
Charles L. SCHMIDT, oil manufacturer of, #464.
Herman VONGELS', worsted & merino goods, #476.
HORN & LEHMAN, printers, #507.
D.H. CHASE, musical instruments, #669.
TERRY & CLARK, livery stables, #675.
William S. SEARING, livery stables, #689.
Edward C. HERVEY, livery stables, near Gates Avenue.
The SEWARD Republican Club, was in 1905 at #625 Marcy.
PARKER'S Cafe was at DeKalb Avenue.
Albert T.PALL, established his undertaker business in 1869, at #731-735.
He was sexton of the Marcy Avenue Baptist Church.
Horse cars were operated on Marcy Avenue from Flushing to Myrtle and down to Fulton Ferry.
George SWAN was foreman for this line.
William CONRADY, carriage & wagon maker and horse shoer, started his business in
1870 in Ridgewood and moved his plant in 1880 to #57-59 Marion Street.
CROAK Brothers, horse shoers, #11.
Thomas HEGEMAN'S, livery stables, #11.
R. S. MOSLY, stair builder, was at the corner of Reid Avenue.
#377 to 381 Marion Street. were damaged by fire on June 15, 1893.
An explosion in the chemical works of BOSTWICK, HARRISON & Co.,
on Marion Street, on April 22, 1898 did great damage.
Maspeth Avenue was opened about 1840.
Several houses were erected along this road in 1846.
The Maspeth Avenue Plank Road was opened in 1846 from Bushwick Avenue to Newtown village.
The tollgate was located upon Furmans Island also known as Maspeth Island.
Maspeth Plank Road crossed Furman's Island.
William GROSSBACK & Company, wire goods, #37.
Charles TENDELE, provision dealer, #65.
Peter COOPER, about 1840, bought 10 acres on Maspeth Avenue and moved his glue factory
which he had operated since 1820 under a years lease, on the Middle Road, or present Fifth
Avenue, between East 31st Street. & East 32nd Street, N. Y. C., to this location.
The glue factory was on Maspeth Avenue in 1905.
It appears that Peter Cooper purchased the glue factory on Middle Road in New York in 1820
for the sum of $2000. He remained on Murray Hill until 1845 when the land values began to
increase rapidly. He then purchased a large tract extending from Maspeth Road to Newtown
Creek. After some time he moved the plant to another portion of his tract, to Smith's Island,
near the corner of Gardner & Maspeth Avenues. The glue factory was located on this site in
1870. His nephews, Charles & George COOPER managed this place.
William COOPER, glue manufacturer, is recorded as being located in 1865 on Maspeth Avenue,
corner Vervoort Avenue with his residence being on Orient Avenue near Olive Street.
Below the factory between Grand Street and the factory on Maspeth Avenue near Kingsland Avenue
was Garret FURMAN'S trout pond.
The Valvoline Oil Co., was at Gardner Avenue. It was destroyed by fire on March 1st, 1905,
at a loss 60,000 dollars.
LAWRENCE'S Ropewalk on Maspeth Avenue was consumed by fire in 1867 & again on December 2, 1887.
Was named for Daniel MAUJER who was alderman of the 15th Ward.
Originally the street was known as REMSEN Street, and had been so named for
Abraham A. REMSEN who owned land at the junction of this street with Union Avenue.
The German Evangelical Mission Church was in 1855 located at Maujer Street near Union Avenue
Pop RODER was alderman of the 15th ward. His father was a musician, a member of Trasch's
band and by trade, a barber. His brother Fred was a letter carrier and later opened a cafe in
a store which had been the office of Dr.WINKLEMAN'S father, who had a hardwood lumber yard, #51.
The old Union Cemetery at Maujer, Stagg, Lorimer & Leonard Streets.
District School No. 3 of Williamsburgh, later known as P.S. #18, was originally held in Franklin Hall.
A small building was erected by Daniel MAUJER about 1844 on present Maujer Street,
(then known as REMSEN Street). The building was purchased in May 1848, for the sum of 1500 dollars.
A new building was erected and opened under a recognized principal in the same year.
This principal was Thomas Warren FIELD, he was succeeded 1856 by
Edward BUSH, who remained in charge until 1912.
The old school stood between Leonard Street and Manhattan Avenue , and was known as
Remsen Street School.
Evening School No. 4 was held at Public School #18.
T. L. NEFF'S Sons, mineral waters, #105.
The meeting place of the First German Baptist Church was near Graham Avenue
P.S. #49, near Graham Avenue was organized on May 26, 1887.
Nicholas SEITZ established in his brewery on 13th Street, New York City.
In 1848 he moved his plant to the corner of Waterbury and Maujer, later he erected the brick
building at 258-264 Maujer, between Bushwick Avenue and Florence Street.
Nicholas SEITZ is said to have been the first brewer to make lager beer, prior to his time
only small beer had been brewed. He retired in 1873. His son Michael carried on the business
under the firm name N. SEITZ'S Son, Brooklyn City Brewery, #256-264 Maujer St.
SCHMIDT and Co. lithographers, #259.
On Maujer Street also were John N. HUBER'S glass works. A fire occurred on November 26, 1891.
It totally destroyed the plant, causing a loss of 35,000 dollars, also, that of
SEELIG'S monument works.
In SEELIG'S plant the statue of Robert Fulton was made, which stood for many years in an outside
niche in the Fulton Ferry House and was taken down for temporary use in the Hudson Fulton
Celebration in 1909. Moritz J. SEELIG established in his zinc statuary place in 1851 in
Maujer Street, near Manhattan Avenue.
The Union Cemetery of the first half of the 19th Century was located on the block bounded
by Maujer, Stagg, Leonard and Lorimer Streets.
District School No. 3 or old Remsen St School, opened on January 2, 1844 in a building owned
by Daniel MAUJER, at the corner of Maujer Street and Graham Avenue.
The school had a broad entrance surmounted by a cupola which in course of time became slightly
out of plumb. The tall windows were provided with green shutters; a picket fence with a creaking
gate enclosed the site. Four years after the school had been opened, the building was bought
of Maujer for the sum of 1500 dollars in May 1848. However, the structure was too small and
a new school house was erected on Maujer Street near Leonard Street.
The old school room was used for Church services on Sunday evenings. Colored people at one
time held services there.
Karl HETTESHEIMER was the school master, he was an intimate friend of
Edward BUSH who became the principal of Public School #18.
The old house has been torn down.
The new school was opened in 1849 with 400 pupils in three departments.
In 1856 this school became P.S. #18.
Thomas Warren FIELD was the first principal of this new school in 1848. He soon
became a member of the Board of Education and finally Superintendent of Schools for the
City of Brooklyn. This position he held until his death in 1881.
He was succeeded as principal of P. S. #18 by various men for short periods, until Edward BUSH
became the principal on January 28, 1856.
The latter had been teacher in N.Y.C. and Brooklyn since 1844, he retired from this position at
the age of 82 in February 1912, his last residence was on Hewes Street.
St. Johannes Evangelical Lutheran Church on Graham Avenue and Ten Eyck Street was organized in 1843
by the Rev. DEIKE. At first the congregation worshipped in the pastor's home at
128 Scholes St. In 1844 they met in a frame building at the corner of Graham Avenue and Maujer Street.
In 1846 funds were raised for a new edifice which latter was completed in 1847. In 1883 the cornerstone
was laid for a new edifice on Maujer Street near Humboldt Street, built of brick in pure Gothic Style,
60 x 100 with a belfry and spire 165 feet high. Rev. Christian J. WEISEL became the
assistant pastor in 1854. Misunderstandings arose in the church a year later and the pastor,
Rev. POLE, with a portion of the congregation withdrew and formed a new church at
the corner of Scholes Street and Union Avenue, leaving the Rev. WEISEL pastor of the
old church. He served for 24 years and died April 12, 1876.
Pop RODER'S Cafe on Maujer Street, next to the old casino where the "German Fifth"
used to meet. His brother Fred at one time kept a barber shop on Maujer Street next to
PICKARD'S fish market.
In 1865 Nicholas SEITZ brewery, #136 Remsen.
J. H. OTTO established in his roofing and sheet metal business in 1864,
the shop was at #46 Maujer Street,
the warehouse at No. 453 Grand Street.
Jacob BAUCA, lumber dealer, #42 Maujer Street.
J.M.OTTO, skylights, #46.
M.J. SEELIG & Co., zinc founders, #115.
WORETH & HESS, printers, #120.
Julius MULLER'S, knitting works, #141.
Marcha HASSENSTEIN, toys, #149.
Leon BRZEGINSKI, mason, #225.
Julius HAAS, pocketbook manufacturer of #225.
The WEBSTER Mansion at Marcy was taken down in 1900.
MARTIN & BEM'S plumbing and steam heating, #2 in 1905.
The office of the publication "Every Week" was in 1890, #2.
William H. LEONARD, printer, #4.
The Hebrew Orphan Asylum, #386..
Andrew PFAEFFLE, undertaker, #5.
August F. ROESSLE, printer, #231.
Was opened in 1853 from Broadway to Bushwick Avenue.
McKibbin Street ran through a swamp on part of the Jacob BOERUM farm.
McKIBBEN & NICHOLS purchased this part of the farm & John S. McKIBBEN & his partner
opened the street and erected two brick houses. Later mostly Germans settled there and from
this fact originated the name Dutchtown.
The taxes on this tract not having been paid for several years, the land was advertised in
the newspapers to be sold for taxes.
The tax was one cent a lot and the cost of advertising was fifty cents a lot.
William WALL bought the lots at auction in 1842 for $1.50 & $.50 & some for $2.00 a lot.
The Jacob BOERUM farm in the 16th Ward, consisted of fifty-eight acres of land.
LEVIN Brothers & MOSSESSON'S show figure shop was #5.
J. SCHINDELE'S son, manufacturer of sash & doors, #7.
Geo. DERINGER, Estate Association, wood working, #11.
P.S. #21, near Manhattan Ave, was organized September 15, 1855.
Isaac TREISZ, livery man & undertaker, had a coffin factory on Grand Street.
Karl HETTERSHEIMER'S School, on Grand Street, later used as a colored church.
Isaac TREISZ'S son-in-law, George PETH, had a barber shop in 1866, on Grand Street near Lorimer Street.
He married Louise TREISZ and became a partner of her father.
In 1876 started out for himself at #116 McKibben Street,
He died about 1903.
Adolph DANZIGER, poultry, #279.
William DIEHL, dealer in hats, #32.
G. M. MEDICUS,manufacturer of parlor furniture, had his factory on McKibben Street,
since 1878, occupying a three-story building. The warerooms were at #45-49 DeKalb Avenue.
Jacob GOETZ'S Sons, toy manufacturers, #5.
John G. DACHERT, surgical instruments, #7.
Frank W. KOCH & Co., scroll sawing, #7-17 in 1890.
NOLTE'S planing mills, #7-17, were damaged by fire on September 13, 1894 to the extent of $20,000.
DOTY & SHELLER, nickel-platers, #11.
Henry DERINGER, scroll sawing.#11.
Jacob SCHINDELE'S Sons, stair builders, #11.
0. OLSEN & Company, surgical instruments, #11 & #110 Messerole.
Martin EICHMAN, scroll sawing, #18.
John DECKER, turner, #18.
Peter McGILL, maker of refridgerators, #22.
George DOERING & Son, masons, #27.
M. KUHN & Sons, #171.
Edward BRUNDAGE, mason, #173.
Kings Co. Knitting Mills, #213.
Meadow Street appears to have been known for a time as Meadow Street & Frederick Avenue.
WARREN Manufacturer of paper, Meadow & Bogart Streets.
The Newtown & Bushwick Turnpike Road, built 1814, was constructed of crushed oyster shells.
The road was known as Shell Road also known as North Road to Newtown. The toll gate was
at Penny Bridge. A beautiful stream of water was folowing between banks covered
with coarse grass, there was good fishing, striped bass. On either side stood a farmhouse,
these had been neighbors for over a century and a half. Generations came and passed
away, each one being remembered by a few memorial stones in the rear the homesteads.
The farmhouses remained unchanged and were taken care of owners as they came and went.
Then came the transformation about the year 1840.
The houses were known as the DURYEA House. Standing on the Bushwick shore and
the ALSOP House, on the Queens County shore.
The ALSOP farm became the Calvary Roman Catholic Cemetery in 1840. The ALSOP family
burial place may still be seen enclosed by an iron picket fence, near the entrance to the
The ALSOP House, no longer the home of well-to-do farmers stood neglected,
its site was included in an addition to the burying ground & it was taken down in 1880.
The ALSOP House stood 215 years.
Humphrey CLAY, the elder, operated as early as 1670 a ferry across Newtown Creek
in this vicinity and he probably erected the DURYEA house.
In later times a primitive bridge crossed the creek and after 1812, a bridge was built on
piles by the Newtown and Bushwick Road Company, which was incorporated in 1814. In 1836 the
Newtown Road Company Bridge and Turnpike Company was incorporated and built a toll
upon stone piers and constructed a shell road through Bushwick. This road as known as the
North Road to Newtown through Bushwick and today is known as Meeker Avenue.
The DURYEA House survived until 1921. It's condition had become worse as time wore on.
To make it inhabitable again would have caused an expenditure of 1500 dollars and the owners
decided to tear it down.
The DURYEA House, having been erected sixteen years later than its neighbor, stood 240 years.
The DURYEA House at #418 Meeker Avenue was built about 1681, the lower part was constructed
of stone. Its front door, facing the Penny Bridge had apparently always been there, but in
the early days access to the house had been by the side door. A ladder or a drawbridge had
formed the connection between the outside and the front door. In course of time as the danger of
attacks by the Indians had become remote, the stoop was added. The house had a frontage of about
40 feet and a depth of 28 feet; the rafters were of live oak timber hewn with an axe. The flooring
consisted of 24 inch wide boards. The shingles also were of live oak. Pegs of the same wood
and some handmade iron nails were used in the construction of the house. The outer walls were
40 inches in thickness and the window sills were in later times used by the tenants in place of
tables and desks. There were half doors front and back. The ground floor was divided by a thick
wall into two equal parts. The front part consisted of one big room.
In the front wall were three portholes for shot guns and two for cannon. They were V shaped thus
enabling the occupants to aim straight ahead as well as right and left. If the front wall should
have been knocked down, the inner wall, almost as thick as the outer one, would still have kept
the house standing and the occupants could have retreated to the other half of the ground floor.
Here the same number of portholes in the inner wall would have enabled them to keep up the defense
of the house.
In the rear part a stairs in the centre led to the upper floor and a room on either side.
The south east room was the ammunition chamber.The upper floor consisted of a hall and four rooms,
two on either side of the hall, a stair case led to the attic where there was a narrow hall and
four rooms, two on either side. In one of these rooms an iron ring was fastened into the wall to
which unruly slaves and other prisoners were chained.
A large oak tree stood on either side of the front stoop. When Meeker Avenue was graded, the
ground in front of the house was filled in to the depth of seven feet.
Joost DURIE acquired the property in 1749 and it remained in the DURYEA family until 1828.
Josiah BLACKWELL became then the owner.
The house was damaged by fire in 1843.
Samuel BESSEY was the occupant in the 50's. BLACKWELL sold the house and
surrounding land to William BLESSER about 1860 and his family still owns
For years the house was rented out.
John DOBBINS who had a milk route and also was in the trucking business occupied the
house for many years until his death, which occurred in 1888. The extension to the house was
taken down in 1891.
The DURYEA family burial place in the rear of the house was 16 feet square.
The remains of the bodies were in 1890 removed to a public cemetery, presumably Mount Olivet.
In 1921, after the old house had been standing 240 years and gradually had been shorn of everything
beautiful, a general overhauling because imperative, the stone walls, held together so long by a
mixture of lime and mud, were crumbling and the house was demolished.
The foundation, however, still remains.
Another old Dutch farmhouse of similar construction, stone being used for the lower portion, was
known as the GEBBARD House. It too stood upon the bank of Newtown Creek, east of the DURYEA House.
The authorities of the Roman Catholic Church in New York City, established, in 1848, the Calvary
Ferry, across Newtown Creek. Three floats were operated from the Bushwick shore from a point
west of Masters' Mill, transporting funeral corteges across the creek.
Later the steamboat Martha, ran from the foot of East 23rd Street and up the Newtown Creek to
the landing at the Penny Bridge.
A few years later this ferry was leased to the lease holder of the Tenth Street Ferry, who ran
his boats to the foot of Greenpoint Avenue and the boat for Calvary Cemetery landed thereafter
The old dock at the Penny Bridge is still standing and used in connection with a lumber yard.
The Meeker Avenue bridge collapsed on January 12, 1894.
James DRANAN ran a stage from Peck Slip and Grand Street Ferries through Grand Street,
Metropolitan Avenue, Manhattan Avenue and Meeker Avenue to Calvary Cemetery.
Perly BARTLETT ran a stage from Peck Slip Ferry through Broadway, Bedford Avenue and
Grand Street to Grand Street Ferry, through Grand and Humboldt St to Meeker Avenue.
BARTLETT also ran a stage via the Williamsburgh and Jamaica Plank Road, or Metropolitan Avenue
of today to Middle Village and Jamaica.
A horse market was on Meeker Avenue at Manhattan Avenue.
Joseph VESPOLE, paper stock, #31 Meeker Avenue.
James GLEASON'S Lone Star, at Humboldt Street was the rendezvous of the Irish denizens of the district.
August BINDRIM, wagon manufacturer, #127.
Acme Cement Plaster Mills, Clifford L. MILLER, proprietor, were at Meeker Avenue at Newtown Creek.
Charles W. FUBER, wire manufacturer, #41 Meeker.
New York Fur Cutting Co., #156-170 was totally destroyed by fire on January 18, 1895.
An explosion in the fireworks factory at Meeker Avenue near the Penny Bridge on September 25, 1905,
caused the loss of four lives.
The stone yards of William BLESSER and of John GARRITY were near the Penny Bidge.
This name includes the former Adams and Centre Streets.
Albert HONDLETT, musical instruments, #40-44.
Morris WARSCHAUER, tobacconist, #77.
Leonard EPPIG'S brewery #193.
The first block of this street, lying between Bushwick and Evergreen Avenues, originally formed
the bend in the old Bushwick Road.
The street was later known as Ralph Street and is now Menahan Street.
Patrick J. MENAHAN, corset manufacturer of , early 1880's, #18 Ralph Street.
George KNORR'S Brewery on Ralph.
Named for Abraham MESEROLE, thru whose farm the road was cut.
The street was orginally called Meserole Street and was opened 1858, from Franklin to Jewell,
Second Street, Bushwick, is now part of Meserole Avenue.
Opened in 1848 from Union to Bushwick Avenues.
The Turn Verein School coined the Turn Hall, was organized October 9, 1854, #63-65.
The Talmud Torah School was next to Turn Hall. The Talmud Torah School, was started in 1889
at Leonard Street, with four classes and later purchased the Turn Verein building.
The school was dedicated on May 27, 1900.
The Turn Verein moved to the Hebrew School of Biblical Instruction.
A saw mill located at Leonard Street, was BURGER'S Summer Garden.
Samuel LIEBERMAN established in his brewery on Meserole Street and Leonard.
He removed his plant in 1855 to #36 Forrest Street.
The plant of the Brooklyner Reform, #105.
Adelstein's Hall, was at Manhattan Avenue
Williamsburgh Saenger Bund, organized 1855, held it's meetings in Union Hall,
at old #l34-36 Meserole Street.
Billy GROTZ'S Union Saenger Hall on Meserole Street at Union Avenue to Manhattan Avenue,
opened in 1891. It was destroyed by fire in 1896.
John David JESBERGER built in 1875 his house at #146.
The Congress Brewing Co. #169.
Adolph FEUCHT, provision dealer, #203.
Apollo Hall Cafe, #213.
FRESE & URFF'S Brewery, #239.
On Meserole Street, was "WINKOPFS", opposite the house of a newspaper correspondent
of the name of ALBORN.
Father HAAS, 3 cent schooner house & "Punky John's" candy store.
The Williamsburgh Saenger Bund,
Schwaebischer Saenger Bund,
Grand Street and
Hayden Mannerchor, formed in 1881, the United Singers of Brooklyn. In the beginning there were
about 250 voices.
The 28th Regiment was almost entirely recruited from the Germans in the days of the Civil War.
This regiment was one of the first to go to the front. Many in their eagerness went across the
River and joined the 20th Regiment Volunteers. This was formed as the German Turner Regiment
was at once ordered to the front and into action.
When the draft riots broke out the tidal wave swept over to Williamsburgh and it was a common
site to see men and boys giving shelter to the Negros.
Old Turn Hall on Meserole was used as a place of shelter for many of the fugitives.
Hundreds of Negros, were there protected from mob violence.
The Turn Verein of Brooklyn, Eastern District, secured in 1901 the old TUTTLE House on
Bushwick Parkway & Gates Avenue, heretofore owned & occupied by Judge KIEHL.
The Turn Verein, organized in 1853, #68 Meserole Street.
The first president of this society was Henry GARMS, who had his grocery at,
#222 South 6th Street, the corner of Broadway & Rodney.
Companies I & K, of the 20th Regiment, New York Volunteers, were organized by the Williamsburgh
Turner Society, these were known as the Turner Rifles, under the command of Col. Max WEBER.
Joseph FALLERT, brewer, 1880's, #66.
Joseph BURGER, brewery, 1865 corner Leonard Street.
Otto HUBER'S brewery, corner Bushwick Place.
Charles R. DOANE, manufacturer of Seydlitz Powders, #22
Paul KUNZA, musical instruments, #35.
PHILIPS Casino at, #61.
BURGER & HOWER'S brewery,1890 #68.
Charles SUBBERG, sewing machines, #98. Fire in the factory at Meserole & Leonard Streets
caused on November 13, 1905, a loss of 30,000 dollars.
F. WEIDNER, publisher, #105.
Henry THIEME, metal worker, #107.
John FLEISCHMAN, printer, #130.
Andrew FULLER, stoves, #138.
John A. DOWET, maker of vinegar, #181 to 187.
Was originally called Bushwick Street, later Woodhull Street, then North Second Street.
Finally North 2nd Street & the Williamsburgh & Jamaica Turnpike Road combined became
The names Bushwick Street & Woodhull Street, were applied to the lower end of the street near the
ferry. North 2nd Street extended from the river front to Bushwick Avenue.
Metropolitan Avenue extended in 1858 from Bushwick Avenue to Masters' Bridge on Newtown Creek.
The Williamsburgh & Jamaica Turnpike Road was begun in 1814 & was completed in September 1816.
The toll gate was located at the crossing of the Newtown Turnpike at East Williamsburgh.
This road cut the distance between New York City & Newtown in half. The route to Rockaway,
formerly 28 miles, was shortened to 15 miles. The road was improved in 1849.
The Metropolitan Railroad Company was organized in 1884 & was changed in 1889 to Grand Street
Ferry & Middle Village Railroad Co., and in 1870 to North 2nd Street & Middle Village Railroad
The Recreation Pier at the foot of the thoroughfare was opened on May 27, 1900.
Waterbury's Distillery was established in in 1819.
HAVEMEYER & ELDERS' sugar refinery at the foot of the street, was destroyed by fire on January 13, 1881.
William HUGHES, paper stock, was located at North 9th Street.
STREETER & DENNISON'S brewery, #84 North 2nd Street.
Lady Washington Hook and Ladder Company No. 1, were located between Wythe Avenue and Berry Street.
A liberty pole stood in front of the Hook & Ladder Company's quarters.
At that time Democratic Hall stood at old #36, North 2nd Street.
School #1, of the Children's Aid Society, was near Bedford Avenue.
George FREY, wagon manufacturer, #215.
Richard SCHNIBBE, provision dealer, #257.
BATTRMAN'S Military Hall, 1850's, junction of Metropolitan Avenue
and North 4th Street, between Roebling & Havemeyer Streets.
The Standard Brooklyn Express Office was #384.
Charles J. STOLL, packer #520.
The MOLLER Mansion, the property of the sugar refiner, stood in the 1850's between
Leonard Street and Manhattan Avenue.
The Columbian Hotel stood in 1855 near Bushwick Avenue.
Daniel LUYSTER'S Branch Hotel at Bushwick Avenue.
BAEDEL house at the northeast corner of that Avenue.
In the early 1840's several houses were erected along the Williamsburgh and Jamaica Turnpike
Road beyond Bushwick Church.
Charles GRAHAM'S Chemical Pottery Works, were, #986.
Samuel Van W. SAMMIS' hay and grain store, at Grand Street.
The site of the original grist mill, erected in 1664, by Abraham JANSEN, was later
occupied by LUQUEER'S Bushwick Mill, which became later known as MASTERS' Mill.
When the Williamsburgh and Jamaica Turnpike Road was built during 1813-14, Stephen B. and
Samuel MASTERS' operated the Turnpike. under a lease for about twenty years, the toll
gate stood near their mill and bridge. MASTERS' Bridge is replaced by the Metropolitan Avenue
Bridge on the old site.
When the Brooklyn and Newtown Turnpike. Road was built, the toll gate on the Jamaica Road was
moved a little further east, to the point where the two roads crossed, Metropolitan and Flushing
Avenues at East Williamsburgh in Queens County. The toll gate on the Brooklyn and Newtown Turnpike.
stood at the same period, about 1857, at Flushing and Knickerbocker Avenues.
Along Newtown Creek, at the junction of Metropolitan Avenue and Grand Street, was a white sandy
beach, no building nearby but three boathouses. One of these was occupied by;
Captain JACKSON, whose daughter was an expert swimmer, another by old Captain JAKE.
Lafayettes, eels & shedder crabs, were plentiful here and black mussels, used for bait could
be picked up in any quantity.
CHAPMAN'S Docks, were at Newtown Creek here with office at #1105.
Hardy VOORHEES & Co., lumber yard, Metropolitan Avenue and Newtown Creek.
The first ferry was established at Bushwick Street, the present Metropolitan Avenue at the
beginning of the 19th Century. Only two other ferries had ever before been established between
New York City and what is now the Borough of Brooklyn.
The first, was what for nearly a century, was called Fulton Ferry.
The second was Catherine Street Ferry.
Williamsburgh followed in the footsteps of her elder sister, Brooklyn, as closely as
this possibly could be done.
Named for Arthur Middleton MIDDLETON, signer of the Declaration of Independence.
Jacob BOSSERT, carpenter and builder, #57.
William LANG Co., manufacturer of metal goods, #123 to 139.
The United States Government had built a dock at the foot of the street under a bluff ranging
from a few feet to a hundred feet and extending from Java Street westward. Upon this dock
a slate enclosed powder magazine was erected. The dock and powder house were abandoned by the
government about 1850 but remained for years.
In later year SIMPSON'S ship yard occupied this site.
The plant of the Greenpoint Light Co., incorporated in 1853, between West and Franklin Streets.
The old edifice of St. John's German Evangelical Lutheran Church, was sold in 1891 to the
Greek Catholic Church and St. Johns erected in the same year a new edifice on Milton Street, near
Manhattan Avenue, which was dedicated in 1892.
James F. DOLAN'S stone yard, #58.
The American Rattan Co., #65 in 1890.
Fire started in the factory at #61-65, then occupied by the ADLER Veneer Seat Co.,
on May 11, 1911, spread to the adjoining building and caused a damage of 120,000 dollars.
Fresh Pond Lane was a narrow lane that lead from New Bushwick Lane at about the present Central Avenue
to the Fresh Ponds of Newton, at about the line of present Moffat Street.
This was laid out in 1680 to give the people of Newton access to the disputed lands near present
cemeteries of the Evergreens & Cypres Hills. The lane was named for the large ponds near the
south east angle of the road & Mount Olivet Avenue. The ponds have been filled in.
The line of the road was altered later to escape the heavy grade.
The road beyond the Queens County line was made a turnpike road in the 1870's and known as
Hunters Point Turnpike Road.
The road was known as Newton Road, a branch of the Kings Highway, starting at the junction of the
Old and the New Bushwick Roads at what is now Central Avenue & Moffat Street.
Later, it was known as Road to Flushing.
The Monroe Street Primitive Church near Stuyvesant Avenue was dedicated, June 1, 1890.
On March 21, 1897, it became known as The Emmanuel Pentecostal Congregation.
Thomas B. RUTAN, mason, #175.
The Livery Stables of Walter H. HUTCHINS, Jr., #493.
General E. B. FOWLER House, #532, was destroyed by fire, March 15, 1891, the caused a loss of life.
The Brooklyn Slate Mantel Co.,#803.
John TENNANT'S livery stables, #854.
Was opened in 1850 from Union Avenue to Bushwick Avenue.
The drivers of the Knickerbocker Ice Company, used to race their teams of horses with empty
trucks, after having delivered their loads of ice to the breweries, through Montrose Avenue,
so that the dishes in the closets would rattle, fall, and break.
An open air show was an annual event on the thoroughfare at Union Avenue. This was known by
"Go Go" in the 1880's, there were merry-go-rounds, swings.
A one time an Indian wigwam was here.
Later, Louis A. PHILLIPS summer Pavilion, with attractions like,
WEBER & FIELDS, the
LEONZO brothers, 2 shots with 1 shot, and
outside attractions: tight walking, the lady who stepped barefoot on swords and slid down
a rope with her teeth.
Still later, CULVER'S Merry-Go-Round was here.
The First German Baptist Church, 1870, near Union Avenue & Mount Olivet.
Colored Baptist Church at the same period near Lorimer Street.
There was also a yard and a tin coffee pot factory.
MEHLING'S butcher store.
Between Lorimer & Leonard, at #61, was the headquarters of the Williamsburgh Democratic Club.
Congressman George H. LINDSAY, father of G. W. LINDSAY, was the head.
Williamsburgh Democratic Club, was organized and incorporated on January 22, 1892, at Johnson Ave.
It's club house opened on December 28,1892.
George SCHAMBERGER Co., mouldings, #66.
PHILLIPS Lyecum Theatre, #84-86 on Leonard St,
prior to that it was People Theatre and one time The German Theatre.
The Freie Presse & L.I. Anzeiger, #88, moving to #35 Myrtle.
In 1905 the paper was published at #35 Myrtle and later in it's own
building at #52.Col.
ROEHR was the owner.
Germania Hall, was on Leonard Street.
Peter BERTSCH & Charles J MANN, established in 1863, sign & wagon painting factory near Leonard Street.
Peter BERTSCH, was born in Germany in 1833.
He came to the U.S.A., in 1851, settling in Williamsburgh in 1855.
He carried on the business from 1869-1896,later moving to Broadway.
William F. BERTSCH succeeded him in 1896.
The German Savings Bank, organized April 20, 1866, #84.
John RABER was the president in the 1870's.
The name in 1918 was changed to Lincoln Savings Bank.
The Most Holy Trinity Catholic Church, near Manhattan Avenue, connected to St. Alphonsius School
for girls, was conducted by the sisters of St. Dominicus and a free school for boys.
The Rev. John Steffens RAFFEINER, who had come from Tyrol, had the first
Catholic Church for Germans on 2nd Street, N.Y.C., at Avenue A. He came to Williamburgh in 1841
and purchased with his funds a portion of the Abraham MESEROLE farm midway between Bushwick,
and the ferries. Upon a little hill in the middle of a cornfield he built the first small frame
church (later becoming a parochiacl school).
He died July 17, 1861. About 5 years later a larger ediface was erected together with a convent
and a scholl building.
The 3rd ediface, was dedicated in 1885, and consecrated on September 29, 1891.
The Most Holy Trinity Catholic Cemetery was laid out by Montrose Avenue Church of the same
name on land between the Cemetery of the Evergreens & along the line of Cemetery Lane and the
tracks of the N.Y. Manhattan Beach Rail Road, the old Bushwick Roadd and the Queens County line,
taking in besides a tract of land beyond the county line and covering in all 25 acres.
The convent of the Sisters of St. Dominicus, in 1870, on Montrose & Graham Avenue.
The sisters of St. Joseph conducted St. Joseph's Academy at #34 South 3rd Street,
formely at No. 6th Street.
The Orphan Home of the parish was opened by the Sisters Dominicus.
The Nazareth Trade School for Boys belonged to this institution.
Judge Charles J. NASHERS Court was at Humboldt Street.
On Montrose :
RAHER'S Hay, Feed & Grocery.
Louis BAER'S Mozart Hall.
HASLACH'S photo gallery.
HAMMERSSCHMITT'S Wine Room.
LEHMANN kept a similar resort.
Germania Dance Hall was at Montrose & Leonard.
It later was the;
People's Theatre, and
While known as the PHILLIPS Lyceum Theatre, it had a stock company and played dramas.
The leading lady was Emma BELL, who had lost a finger while working in a factory and
always wore a handkerchief around her hand.
HOLDEN was the leading man,
PHILLIPS the villian, and
Caryl WILBUR, the comedian.
A garage now occupies the sight.
B. DONOP'S Son, tobacconist, #11 Montrose Avenue.
John E. RONDHOLZ, printer, #15.
Franz DECK, tailor, in 1868, built his house at #29, having formerly lived at old #102.
Gustav ILLERS, washtub manufacturer, was the corner of Leonard.
J. WAYRICH & Son, wire colth makers, #95.
Henry FISCHER, umbrellas, #102.
Charles WELLER, photographer, #133.
Humboldt Hall, #200.
A. Jay WAGNER, printer, #239.
Kings Co. Oil Works, on Newton Creek, was destroyed by fire on November 29, 1890.
The plant of the U.S. & Canada Degreasing Syndicate, at Stewart Avenue was completely
destroyed by fire, March 25, 1911, a life was lost.
The Long Island Anzeiger, started by Edward F. ROEHR, September 2, 1854, a weekly,
discontinued August 23, 1865.
After 9 years, Edward and his son, Henry Edward ROEHR, formed a partnership.
-They opened an office at #40 Stagg Street, and the Long Island Anzeiger appeared again,
December 3, 1864, at 5 cents a copy.
-In 1869, a 3 story brick building was erected at 88 Montrose Avenue, for the paper, which
was published now 2 times a week for 4 cents a copy.
-In 1871, 3 times a week, @3 cents a copy.
-September 30, 1872 it became a daily undr the name Brooklyn Freie Presse, at 15 cents a week.
In 1873 Col. Henry Edward ROEHR purchased his fathers interest in the paper.
1875 he secured the building at #30 Myrtle in order to make it an all around Brooklyn Paper.
Later he built a modern structure on the opposite side of Myrtle Avenue, #35
The elder had, in 1854, also started a German Masonic paper called, The Triangel, which
ran uninterupted for a quarter century.
April 20, 1873, The Long Islander was first published. The first Sunday edition of any Brooklyn paper.
In 1879 the Triangel was discontinued unti 1881.
August KASEMANN, carriage maker, #66.
Jacob WEIS, manufacturer of jewelery, started in 1876 at, #116 McKibben Street,
in the 1880's he located to, #104 Montrose.
Was named for Thomas C. MOORE, a manufacturer of wire netting, who owned land in the neighborhood.
The street was opened in 1852 from Broadway to Bushwick.
John MEUERER, manufacturer of Sax Elixir of Life, #3.
William HOFFMAN, rectifier, #8.
John SCHLITZ, undertaker, #58.His stages were kept at Moore Street.
F. PETCHESKY & Sons, produce, #53.
Samuel SLOTE, printer, #73.
George MAYER, printer, #98.
Frank COVERT'S, livery stables, #124.
Michael MAYER, sash & door maker, #181.
The builder John A. LACHNER, who had been a foreman with Colonel John RUEGER'S place,
was located at #250.
KESHIN, BLITSTEIN & Co. sash factory, was later on this spot. It was destroyed by fire, about 1911.
Colonel John RUEGER'S Moulding Mill, #260 was
destroyed by fire, June 27, 1891.
CHENCK'S, broom factory, was on Moore St.
When Morgan Avenue was graded in 1910, two skulls and some bones were unearthed at Orient Avenue.
There had been a burying ground near Newton Creek in the vicinity of Orient Avenue.
HURVER'S glass house was at Maujer Street.
The old BROOKFIELD'S glass house at Grand Street, opposite the KALBFLEISCH Chemical Works.
The gypsies had a camp about where Cooper Park is now. The Union soldiers camped there in the
Civil War time.
William COOPER, built about 1860, 2-frame houses on Cooper Lane, which now included
within the park. When COOPER would leave his house or return to it, children would open the gates
for his carriage to pass through and he would throw a handful of pennies to the children.
The larger home was his and the other was occupied by his neice.
Cooper Park was given to the City Of Brooklyn in 1895, by the COOPER family.
The Bushwick Flint Glass Works were on Maujer St. corner Morgan Avenue.
James M. & Wm. BROOKFIELD, the owners in the 1860's lived at #468 Graham Avenue.
Was opened in 1853 from the Newtown Turnpike (Flushing Avenue) to Maujer Street. When Bushwick
Avenue was straightened in 1860, the crooked portion of Bushwick Avenue was cut out and a part
of Morrell Street, between Maujer and Siegel Streets was incorporated in place of the crooked
portion. The latter became then known as Old Bushwick Avenue and is now known as Bushwick Place.
KLITZ'S Brewery was located between Cook and Varet Streets.
After the brewery sold out, Martin GORMAN kept a barroom at Morrell and Cook Streets.
Here were the headquarters of the Martin GORMAN Light Guard.
Andy HORN'S wood yard was on Morrell Street.
David HOOD, produce, #40.
BERLENBACH & MUELLER, masons, #55 Morrell & #292 Stockton Street.
Named in honor of Lewis and Robert MORRIS, both Signers the Declaration of Independence.
Was laid out in 1835 from Wallabout Bay to Williamsburgh. The thoroughfare was closed again in
two portions, from Division Avenue to Kent Avenue by an Act of Legislature of 1848 and west of
Kent Avenue by an Act of 1851.
Was opened in 1852 from Kent Avenue to Bedford Avenue.
Named for John MORTON, a Signer of the Declaration Independence.
CHATTERTON & SCHELL, metal workers, #22.
All the following were at, #28.
EDLIN & SANFORD, paint manufacturers.
Union Rattan Manufacturing Co.
Joseph WETTER & Co., machinery.
SAUER & BURNS', moulds.
DUBOIS Watchcase Company.
Was opened in 1835 from Fulton Street to Cripplebush Road.
The hill at Fort Greene was dug through. In 1839 the road was extended to Division Ave, the
In 1854 the Myrtle Avenue & Jamaica Plank Road was opened.
A toll gate located at Cypress Avenue
In the early days Anson POWELL'S stages ran from Myrtle & Nostrand Avenue to Fulton Ferry.
HUSTED & KENDALL'S stages ran from the Franklin Hotel on Broadway via Myrtle to Fulton Ferry.
HUSTED & KENDALL'S brick stables were in 1855 on Nostrand's Lane & Flushing Avenue.
Seymore L.HUSTED, the stage operator and Alderman of the 7th Ward, had a fur factory at the Wallabout.
In 1840 he resided on Myrtle between Kent & Franklin. He later built his home upon grounds
fronting on Myrtle from Clinton to Waverly. This building was taken down in 1913 to make room
for apartmen houses.
The Myrtle Avenue car line operated in July 1854, with 16 cars from the Fulton Ferry to the depot,
the old stage coach stables on Myrtle.
On part of the site of the car barns near Broadway, which was opposite the Franklin Hotel.
The Broadway Theatre was erected and was opened by TELLER in 1904.
The GANTA farm was purchased by the Brooklyn City R. R. Co., in 1872.
The Parthenon Theatre occupies part of the former depot.
Reuben MIDMER & Sons, builders of church organs, established in 1860 were at #97. Stueben near Myrtle.
The East Brooklyn Young Men's Christian Assoc. was in 1870 at #693 Myrtle.
RUEGAMER & AUER, plumbling #793.
The Automatic Steam Carpet Cleaning Works were in the 1880's at #837-39 at the corner of Marcy Avenue.
J. E. KEELER the proprietor had then been in business for many years.
Wm CAREY established in his grocery in 1883, at #905
George J. PROSS, news dealer, #933
C. T.KENDRICK & Co., dealer in furniture, established in 1879, at #949.
A score of houses stood on the DEMONICO farm, on Myrtle, on both sides of Sumner Avenue,
John LONGI, chef of DELMONICO'S hotel in N. Y. C., was the manager of the farm at
one time. The original High Ground Park, it is said, was located on Myrtle between Lewis Avenue
and Broadway, opposite the car barns.
A. M. BULLINGS, one time candidate for mayor of Brooklyn, lived for along time on this tract,
on the hill, on Myrtle Avenue, between Lewis Avenue & Broadway, close to the Franklin Hotel.
The MILLS house too stood here.
The house was in the 1850's home of Wm. T. MILLS, the Alderman of the 9th Ward and in the 1870's
of David S. MILLS, who was at one time the owner of the Broadway Railway.
The MILLS residence stood nestled in a grove surrounded by lilac bushes.
William T. MILLS, son-in-law, Gus IVANS, operated the stages on Broadway.
Across Lewis Avenue, was the lands of William T. MILLS's brother, David.
David MILLS sold his land to Archibald BLISS, who beautified the grounds & cottage.
The latter stood on the southwest corner of Lewis Avenue.
Wm. I. SCHWAB, picture frames, #1083.
The Bushwick and East Bushwick Dispensary was incorporated in 1878. In 1880 it was located on
Myrtle near Throop Avenue.
A new building known as Laura F. BATTERMAN Memorial, at Lewis Avenue, across the road
from the site of the David MILLS house, was opened in 1899, at #1097.
J. T.CLARK'S, plumbers supplies #1150.
Henry J. HOLTERMANN'S Cafe, #1151.
Order of Prosperity, G. GEBHARDT, #1153.
The Alpine Medical Co., #1158.
G. W. BROOKS established in his drug store in the 1860's at 470 Grand Street,
residing in the 18th Ward since 1856 and subsequently erected the building at #1161 Myrtle Avenue,
which was used as headquarters of the Republican party until 1868. In that year BROOKS moved his drug
store to the building.
On the northeast corner plot of Bushwick Parkway, was Thomas BEEBEY'S Hotel & Summer Garden.
The Myrtle Grove was beyond Myrtle Avenue Plank Road, north of the Boulevard Grove.
STREY'S Hotel was also known as the Central Hotel.
Myrtle Avenue Park was at what is now Himrod Street to Wilson Avenue.
Adam HANK ran this resort during the Civil War.
Picnics of the Williamsburgh and Brooklyn Sunday Schools were held here, also the
PFINGST Monday Celebrations.
Frank C. MEYER, paper box manufacturer #1310.
Wm. H. SPANIER, phonographs, #1333.
Adolph WACKER homestead, at the corner of, Wilson Avenue was built in 1857,
on part of the STOCKHOLM farm.
The florist store of Adolph WACKER was in 1905, known as #1344.
H. HINDERMANN, phonographs, #1421.
Myrtle Avenue High Grand Park was located between Myrtle Avenue Plank Road, Grove Street, Menahan,
Irving & Manhattan Beach Railroad.
Henry BERON, at one time contractor, conducted this park.
The shooting gallery was destroyed by fire on January 7, 1900.
Next to the park was a farm owned by Louis WEBER.
Opposite the park was Captain Louis DOHLING'S little grove.
This was the Brooklyn, E.D. Schuetzen Park.
In the later years the Captain kept a road house on Myrtle & Cypress Hills Road
(between 64th & 65th streets), in Queens borough.
Picklesville was the name applied to the vicinity of Myrtle Avenue High Ground Park.
Martin H. BRUNJES seed store #1581, where the subway station is now. (1928).
WELZ & ZERWECK'S Brewery was on Myrtle & Wyckoff Avenue.
In the corner building was the High Ground Hotel & resturant.
John WELZ & Charles ZERWECK were the partners forming the firm of WELZ & ZERWECK'S.
There was an elevation on the south side of Myrtle, from a point near the Franklin Hotel
to Lewis Avenue.
On part of this hill stood the BLISS house, in the earlier days known as
Archibald BLISS House. Next to this was an open area with quite a few trees.
To the southwest on Vernon Avenue, near Sumner Avenue was KOLB'S Brewey. People from Dutchtown
came to this place on Sunday's with their lunch and bought a sixtel or quarter of KOLB'S product.
One FOSTER had run the KOLBS place on Myrtle near the corner of
Nostrand, as WEISS Beer Brewery.
He killed a man with a car hook and paid the penalty for his crime on the gallows in N.Y.C.
The brewery covered 3 lots and a man named FETTEN, ran a bar room in part of the building.
On the north side of Myrtle was BOERUM'S farm.
William SMITH established in his greenhouse at #561 in 1871, he was a native of
England and came in 1863.
HEITZMANN Brothers established in 1877, a sign & wagon painters at #238 Johnson Avenue,
they had another little shop in the neighborhood. A few years later they consolidated with a similar
shop at #12 Jefferson Street and enlarged the plant, extending it to Myrtle Avenue.
The office at #1159 Myrtle.
In 1890 George G. HEITZMANN was the proprietor.
The car barns of the DeKalb Avenue line were destroyed by fire, had been erected by
Bernard GALLAGHER, the builder.
The Myrtle Avenue Park covered ground on either side, the plank road having been cut through the park.
The entrance was at Myrtle & Wilson about where Otto WICKE'S drug store later located.
Ridgewood Park, was beyond the county line, where Myrtle Avenue and Cypress Avenue converge. It was
originally opened by five men of the Eastern District:
Henry Von DAMM and
After about 4 years, it passed into the hands of George GRAUER who formerly had
kept a hotel in 14th street, N.Y.C.
The Bushwick Dispensary Association, was organized on February 2, 1877.
Dr. L. F. FETAMORE and a few friends opened rooms on DeKalb near Nostrand Avenue,
for a Mission Sunday School. Shortly after they fitted up a few beds where destitute
men could find lodgings.
A dispensary was also started on December 10.
At a meeting in St. Matthew's Church on Throop & Pulaski Street on February 13, 1878,
the 2 dispensaries consolidated under the name of Bushwick & East Brooklyn Dispensary.
H. KRUMMELT & BALCKE, vinegar manufacturers #1228.
In a fire which destroyed the stables of the Bushwick Railroad Co. near Wyckoff Avenue,
about 100 horses were lost.
P. M.VanWALWYCK, watch maker,#614.
Mortimer HANLY, dealer in tea, #615.
Daniel PALMERI, photographer, #619.
Charles L. KEMPT, photographer, #627.
John J. HILLIS, tea dealer, #648.
Issac LAVENTHALL, tobacconist, #649
Henry P. HORTON, sweing machines, #651.
Thomas HILL, provisions, #653.
Elizabeth FITZSIMMONS, stationer, #668.
Phillip COMMERFORD, tea dealer, #681.
Noah OTTON, watch maker, #709.
Jacob DANGLER, provisions, #722.
The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Co., #762.
Louis BAUMAN, umbrella, #726.
REAGAN Brothers, wagon makers, #757.
Nicholas R. SMITH, printer, #762.
Jeremiah BULGER, dealer in tea, #802.
William HOLLAND, stoves, #805.
Charles L.LANG, stationer, 859.
James T. ALDERDICE, dealer in tea, #893.
Elisha M. SHUTE, lightning rods, #1003.
Henry ENGELBERG, sewing machines, #1124.
Edward E. BUNCE, flour & feed, was at Broadway.
Thomas HAND'S Livery stables, #1171.
Henry GEBFERT, umbrella, #1284.
Henry UEDEL, sausage maker, #1226.
KUES, WERNER & Co., photographers, #1243.
Mary LINDNER, stoves, #1470.
M.B.EULER'S Hotel was at the corner of Grove Street.
Otto GEIGER, wagon maker, #1585.
The Hamburg Saving Bank was organized 1905 and opened March 10, 1906.
James MOFFETT, founder and president.
East Brooklyn Savings Bank incorporated in 1860 and opened for business in 1861 corner of
Myrtle & Franklin Avenue.
Stephen CROWELL was the first president.
Next..."N" of the EASTERN DISTRICT Streets
Back to EASTERN DISTRICT Main
Back to TOWN Main Page
Back to STREETS Main
Back to BROOKLYN Main