enter name and hit return
THE EASTERN DISTRICT of BROOKLYN
Cobby Hall, in 1875, at Ralph & Lexington, facing Broadway, later known as Ridgewood Hall, then,
Jos. L. PLAUT, provisons dealer, #22.
Iona Club, #63.
Bedford Dispensary, #343.
Ralph Avenue car stables, Ralph & Pacific.
Atlantic Park., #502.
Patrick J. MENAHAN, corset maker, in 1890, at #17 & 19 Ralph Avenue, a serious fire, November 11, 1890.
New York Insulating Paint Co., Ranton & Newton Creek.
Madame A. TURZANSKI'S Private School, #5.
A TREUPEL, established in 1881, drug store, corner Pulaski Street.
E. PEREZ, stoves & heaters, #38.
James H. WOOD'S, real estate, #138.
Frank M. FAIRCHILD, undertaker, in 1889, at #158.
Morimer S. BROWN, Jr., automobiles, in 1905, at #161.
Jane's Methodist Episcopl Church, 1858, when a Sunday School was started in a private home.
Jane's Misson, Patchen & Monroe.. The first church was on the southeast corner of Reid & Monroe,
dedicated, 1884. CARDWELL & HAWKINS, were the builders.
A new Sunday School on Reid was dedicated, January 11, 1891.
E. M. TICE'S, livery stables, #270.
The Reid Avenue Line Car sheds, Reid & Chauncey Street, opposite the Broadway Rail Road car depot.
Louis GRAF'S Cafe, #2 Reid & 1062-4 Broadway.
George BAUMANN, musical instruments, #25.
Julius H. CRAW'S, stationary, #25.
Arthur B. CRAW, printer, #25.
Chas. W. HEATH, neckware manufacturer, #235.
Named for Lemuel RICHARDSON, pioneer in building up Williamsburgh, also
the owner of a ropewalk in Williamburgh.
At one time a patnership with Wm. WALL, in the ropewalk on Bushwick Avenue.
Martin REYNOLD'S, smelter, #68-70.
Travers BARTEY Co, varnish manufacturer, #80.
BAAR Bros., soap manufacturer, #102.
Patrick RONAN, horse shoer, #175.
Formerly, Water Street.
WRIGHT & TUTTLE'S, livery stables, in 1855, at #7 Water Street.
Williamsburgh Gazette & the Long Island Advertiser, the 1st weekly publication newspaper.
Started May 25, 1835, by Francis G. FISH, who soon left it to the lawyer, Adrastus FISH.
The office was between the river shore & Kent Avenue, just north of Grand Street.
Levi DARBY, came to Williamsburgh from New York City in 1838, and purchased the Gazette
on February 5, 1838. He added a job printing department. Since 1850, the Gazette was published
as a daily until 1854, when it was discontinued. The job printing department was continued
under the name Levi DARBY & Son.
Later publications were;
1840, The Williamsburgh Democrat, Thos. A. DEVYR.
1844, The Democratic Advocate, Quentin McADAM, 6 years.
1845, Daily Long Islander, only a few weeks.
1847, The Morning Post, Thos. A. DEVYR.
1848, The Williamsburgh Daily Times, BENNETT & SMITH.
1850, The Independent Press, KELLY & RIKER, daily.
1851, Long Island ZEITUNG, weekly.
1851, Kings Co. Chronicle, weekly.
1852, Long Island Family Circle, J. C. GANDAR publisher, SCHROEDER & Co., owners.
1852, The Williamsburgh Telegraph.
The Kings County Patriot, Judge THOMAS.
The Press, Jos. HOWARD, Jr..
The Argus, KENYON.
The Morning Herald.
Was first called Paca Avenue.
Named for William PACA, signer of the Declaration of Independence.
Samuel LUDLOW'S ropewalk, was in the 1880-1890s, at the corner of Rockaway & Chauncey.
Ninth Street was opened in 1850, from Metropolitan to the Brooklyn line at Divison Avenue,
to Lee Avenue, was opened 1857.
Named for Caesar RODNEY, signer of the Declaration of Independence and a
General in the Revolutionary War.
A sheep slaughter house, was on Rodney, between South 2nd & South 3rd Streets.
COYNE & DELANEY, plumbers suppliers, #303.
Williamsburgh Savings Institute, Rodney, between South 3rd & South 4th Streets.
Primary School #4, North 1st & Ainslie. Opened in 1850 on the ground floor,
the Odd Fellows met on the top floor.
also, the First Reformed Presbyterian Church, O. S.;
alais Covenanters Church,
alais Knox Church.
The North Brooklyn Iron Foundry, #26-36. John W. THOMPSON, was the owner, succeed by
J. S. & G. F. SIMPSON. Fire on January 23, 1908, on the opposite side of the street at
#29-45, caused damage of $200,000. It was still an iron works in 1912.
Thos. OSIECKE, turner, #40.
W. & T. LAMB, masons, #218 Rodney & #192 Keap Street.
Samuel S.DAVIS, steam packing, #438.
Wm. F. ENGELHARDT & Co., showcases, #468.
Named for John A. ROEBLING, builder of the Brooklyn Bridge.
Sixth Street was opened, in 1850, from Divison to North 9th, widened after the bridge was opened.
Williamsburgh Trust Co., in 1905, was at Broadway & Kent. It disolved on March 7, 1922, by order
of the Supreme Court.
The Red Jacket Engine Co. #10, in 1855, was on Roebling & North 4th Streets.
Michael HERAGHTY, house mover, #115.
Silas M. BLAISDELL, M.D., #225.
Liverly stables of, J. Henry KREY, #337.
Named for George ROSS, signer of Declaration Of Independence.
Opened in 1856, from Division to Kent.
The Ross Street Presbyterian Church, was organized in 1864,
Chapel of Christ Church, by 43 members of three Williamsburgh Churches;
South 3rd Street Presbyterian,
First Presbyterian Churches. four lots on Ross Street & two on Wilson.
The Chapel on Wilson was dedicated in 1865, and the church on Ross, in 1871. Both buildings
have been taken down to make room for an apartment building.
Wm. DALY, horse shoer, #29.
Named for Benjamin RUSH, signer of the Declaration of Independence.
Opened in 1859, from Division to Kent.
The ECKFORD House, #78 Rush, after EKFORD WEBB'S death, became the property
of Mrs. Jessie B. RANKIN, in the 1890's.
KRONEKE Bros., refridgerator makers, #32-42.
Named for Edward RUTLEDGE, signer of the Declaration of Independence.
F. W. DAVIS', Wallabout Iron Foundry, at #62-68, was established in 1869. The founders son,
W. H. DAVIS, became the owner, about 1878.
Valentine KISSEL'S Sale & Exchange Stables, #309,
Emanuel NEWMAN'S, later,
David E. NEWMAN'S, at #314, and even later,
Henry NEWMAN'S Sons, at #328.
Henry BROISTEDT, Sales & Exchange Stables, 1849. Was suceeded in 1874, by Samuel RICHEY.
It was still known in, 1905, at #327-331.
The John DANENHOEFFER, Glass Works, 1890, #58.
John AUGER, mason, #242.
ARTHUR & RANDEL'S, livery stables, #323.
Next..."S" of the EASTERN DISTRICT Streets
Back to EASTERN DISTRICT Main
Back to TOWN Main Page
Back to STREETS Main
Back to BROOKLYN Main