enter name and hit return
THE EASTERN DISTRICT of BROOKLYN
DITMARS Grocery & GINERS Grocery, were on Sanford Street.
Andrew FROELICH'S, Iron Works, #42.
James TUTTY, horse shoer, #122.
S. G. RICHARDS, stoves & heaters, #8.
W. H. VOLCKENING, livery stables, #17.
Is now Emerson Place.
The EUREKA Leather Works, #21.
Opened in 1850, from Union Avenue to Bushwick, named for James SCHOLES.
A bucket company known as, Continental Bucket Company No.1, was changed into a hose company and
was located on Scholes Street near Union Avenue.
St. Peter's German Evangelical (Reformed) Church, was started by seceders from the
Maujer Street Church, and organized under the leadership of the Rev. C. A. J. POHLE in
October, 1853, in the lecture room of the Old Bushwick Reformed Church. During the winter they bought
from the South 3rd Methodist Espiscopal Congregation, the old church, a small frame structure,
together, with two lots on the corner of Union Avenue, and Scholes Street for the sum of $2300.
This church was admitted as a unit of the Reformed Church in 1866. The frame church was demolished
in 1880 and a brick church was erected on the same site and dedicated on January 2, 1881.
John SCHNEIDER'S brewery, was located in the 1860s, at Scholes Street, corner Humboldt Street.
ILLIG'S Brewery & Summer Garden, were at Scholes & Lorimer Streets. A
walking match was held here.
The plant of the New York & Brooklyn Brewing Co., was at Scholes & Lorimer Streets, known as
#48 Scholes Street, in 1905. It was destroyed by fire on a Christmas morning.
MAUFAI'S Brewery, was at the corner Manhattan Avenue.
William GAN'S Oyster House, at #128, was frequented by parties after attending theatres or balls.
It is still run by the GANS family.(1928)
John WELZ, established his brewery in 1859, at Scholes & Graham Avenue. In 1861 the plant
was moved to Myrtle Ave Plank Road & Wyckoff Avenue. It became in 1897, known as
WELZ & ZERWECK'S Brewery.
The CONGRESS Brewery and Summer Garden, were located at Scholes & Humboldt Streets. After standing
vacant the building was partly destroyed by fire in 1923 and was torn down in the fall of
the same year.
SCHNEIDER'S Summer Garden, was at Scholes & Humboldt Streets.
A summer garden connected with the Williamsburgh Brewery, was on Scholes & Humboldt Streets. These
three gardens may have occupied the same ground at different periods.
Henry KIEFER'S Brewery, at #136-142 Scholes Street, was established in, 1870.
Ernst OCHS'Brewery, was on Scholes Street & Bushwick Avenue.
Joseph B. MERKERT, opened his law office in 1876, at #239. His father
had been a captain of the 28th Regiment and he was a lieutenant of that regiment, until it was
disbanded about 1880.
ABBOT'S Brewery, on Scholes Stret, was damaged by fire on January 22, 1893.
William PRUSSING, stoves, was located on Bushwick Avenue.
The New York & Brooklyn Brewing Company, was in 1890, located at the corner of Scholes and Lorimer.
The Celluloid Factory, at Scholes & Lorimer, was destroyed by fire on, April 28, 1910.
Military Hall, was in 1890, located at the corner of Leonard.
Frank J. BURKHARDT, dancing teacher, was at #90.
Adolph TODE, maker of washing fludid, at #101.
Louis GOETTING, stoves at #103.
The Metropolitan Brewery at #134.
Basil HOF, wagon maker at #191.
Christian HARTMAN, turner, at #221.
Charles FREESE'S Brewery at #238.
Charles WEITERER, surgical instruments at #263.
Consisting now of former, Covert Avenue & Seneca Avenue.
Covet extended from Randolph Street to Grand Street & Seneca from Grand Street to Benton.
Fromerly Marshall Street.
Named Seigel for General Franz SIEGEL, of the Civil War.
Opened in 1852, from Broadway to Bushwick Avenue.
Pigsfoot Alley, was on Siegel, opposite LAWRENCE'S Ropewalk.
Music Hall & Summer Garden, at #9.
ZIPPEL'S, basket factory, was near Leonard Street.
The John C. NAEDER"S home, 1864, #68, between Manhattan & Graham Avenue.
A club house was near Graham.
The OETTINGER, soap manufacturer, Siegel & Humboldt.
SCHWARTZ'S, cow stables, between Bushwick & White Street.
Frederich ELFLEIN & Sons, store & fixtures, #226.
VOLKS Park, Siegel Street.
Martin WORN, 1860's, corner of McKibben & Humboldt Streets, manufacturer of cradles.
In the 1880's, #127-133 Siegel near Humboldt and the warehouse at 103-109 Humboldt. A fire
in the factory on Siegel & Leonard on October 4, 1905, caused $70,000 in damage.
Adam MANN, maker of baby carriages, 1890, #91.
Albert F. FLEIGL, scavenger, #147.
Named for John SKILLMAN, Sr.
Was originally Skillman Street.
The Green, was on Skillman, between Union Avenue & Lorimer Street. There were beautiful cheery
trees and a half dozen cottages.
Old SMULLEN'S tavern, was the meeting place of the Green Rangers, an organization of young men.
Lorimer Street, was known locally as, Larry MOORE'S Lane.
Henry C. SAFFER, printer, 1890, #172.
Jacob SCHLOCH, mason, 201.
The street was opened in 1838, from the Wallabout Road to DeKalb Avenue.
Cow stables were on Skillman, running through Franklin Avenue.
A big spring was at Franklin & Flushing, where the milkmen kept their milk cool.
St. Francis de Sales Institute, was located on Somers, near Rockaway Avenue.
Folkert TITUS Homestead, north east side of South 1st Street, at the shore, was known as the
Fountain Inn, at the beginning of the 19th Century.
WATERBURY residence, South 1st Street & Kent Avenue.
Williamsburgh Gazette, in the 1840s, between Bedford & Driggs Avenues.
Levi DARBEE was the owner, he resided on Bedford Avenue, four or five houses away from the plant.
The First Baptist Church of Williamsburgh.
Organized in 1839, as the Williamsburgh Bethel Independent Baptist Church, with 14 members.
The first meeting place on Wythe Avenue, was dedicated in 1843. A larger site was purchased
on the south east corner of South 1st Street & Driggs Avenue. The edifice here was dedicated
In 1858 some 30 members left the church and organized the Lee Avenue Baptist Church.
In 1865, 41 members went and organized the, Central Baptist Church. The congregation sold its
edifice on South 1st Street.
Evangelical Lutheran Church,
which had been founded in 1875 by the, Rev. F. T. KOERNER and had held services in TUTTLE'S Hall
until the former Baptist Church was acquired.
The First Baptist Church & the Lee Avenue Baptist Church consolidated and erected a new church
building on Lee Avenue & Keap Street, which was dedicated in 1885. Until then services had been
held in the New England Congregational Church on South 9th Street.
The Central Baptist Church,
held its first services in Temperance Hall, on South 2nd Street & Bedford Avenue.
In 1866, the old Reformer Dutch Church and Sunday School, on South 2nd Street & Bedford Avenue were
purchased. They were sold in 1873, and rooms were leased in the building of the Williamsburgh Gas
In 1875 the new edifice, on South 5th Street & Marcy Avenue, was opened and was occupied until
1911, when the First & Central Baptist Churches merged. The Central Baptist Church property
on South 5th Street & Marcy Avenue, was sold for $50,000 and is now used as a synagogue.
The building of the Lee Avenue Baptist Church, on Lee Avenue opposite Taylor Street, had been sold,
after the pastor of this church, the Rev. J. Hyatt SMITH, had been sent to Congress.
The building was partly torn down and was rebuilt as a theatre seating 1700 people. The house was
opened in October 1882, with "Lights of London", under the management of J. S. BERGER & E. E. PRICE,
who kept their control of it for ten years, when it passed into the hands of A. Y. PEARSON. It
finally became, known as, Corse PAYTON'S Theatre. PAYTON'S, had a stock company and played dramas;
the leading lady was Miss Etta REED,
the leading man was GERALD & HALL was the villain. Again remodelled it became a Jewish Theatre.
The site of the First Baptist Church, on the south east corner of South 1st Street & Driggs Avenue,
it was later occupied by a pork packing establishment.
Marion Hose Company No. 1, in 1855, South 1st Street & Driggs Avenue, Central Hall, in 1850,
South 1st Street & Driggs Avenue
The Williamsburgh Dispensary, organized, February 5, 1851, South 1st Street & Driggs Avenue.
The Associate Presbyterian Scotch Church, in 1855, South 1st near Havemeyer Street.
John C. TIEDEMAN, dealer in pickles, #259 South 1st Street.
Charles H. REYNOLDS started his coal yard, in 1860, at South 1st & Rodney Streets.
In 1875, he moved his plant to Grand Street & Newtown Creek.
St. Paul's Lutheran German Church, South 1st & Rodney Streets, was organized in 1853.
The First United Presbyterian Church, was organized in 1849. In 1914 the congregation sold its building
at South 1st & Rodney Streets to a Jewish Society.
#300 South 1st Street, was known as the farmhouse destroyed by fire, December 1, 1899.
William MULLON, established in 1856, Iron Works, #330,
later it was at #1-9 Devoe Street, near Union Avenue.
Lafayette Engine Co. No.9, in 1855, was on South 1st Street, near Hooper Street.
South 1st Street, opened and regulated from the river to Union Avenue, in 1836.
The Fountain Inn on the north east side of South 1st Street, near the Yorkton Ferry
(later called Williamsburgh Ferry), became the headquarters of the village politics.
The steamboat Nevesink, which ran to Coney Island, made her landing at the foot of South 1st Street.
Paddy McELROY'S Blacksmith Shop, South 1st Street, between River Street & Kent Avenue.
WATERBURY, farm at Yorkton was at Kent Avenue & South 1st Street.
WATERBURY mansion up on the hill was a real show place about 1870.
James M. WATERBURY had a daughter named Sally.
The Little school stood opposite the old Waterbury farm, 50 feet back from the street, on
South 1st Street, between Kent & Wythe Avenues.
The First Baptist Church, was formed in March 1839, with 14 members, the 4th ecclesiastical
organization in Williamsburgh. For the first year, the Rev. John JONES was the minister,
succeeded by the Rev. C. F. FREY, who continued until 1841.
THEALL & CARTON'S Amusement place, South 1st Street. & Driggs Avenue, later moved to Washington Hall.
McALEER'S Cafe, South 1st Street. & Driggs Avenue.
Christ TEVES', South 1st Street. & Driggs Avenue.
Central Hall, corner of Driggs Avenue destroyed by fire January 7,1853.
Sebastian SCHNADERBECK, brewer, in 1865. at Union Avenue, corner of South 1st Street.
WEBB'S ship yard, was at the foot of South 1st Street.
Michael McCANNEY, livery stables, #68.
John H. TEVES, livery stables, #168 South 1st Street & #214 Driggs Avenue.
A. HAYES, mason, #267.
John H. TOURTE, horse shoer, #386.
Pigtail Alley. was located between South 1st & South 2nd Streets.
South 2nd Street opened in 1829 and was regulated in 1832.
Noah WATERBURY, it appears, established his distillery in 1819, at the foot of South 2nd Street.
He sold it later to Jordan COLES, then erected another distillery further down south along the
shore, at the foot of South 9th Street.
Noah WATERBURY was the first village president and he originated the, Williamsburgh City Bank.
In the 1840's, his son James M. WATERBURY, lived in the old WATERBURY Mansion, at South 2nd Street
near Wythe Avenue.
In 1898 the old mansion was used as a boarding house for laborers employed in the American Sugar
The beach, extended the length of the water front in the 1840s. 1847-8-9 lay here the sloop yacht
Julia, owned by WATERBURY and built by George STEERS. The latter's brother, James Richard STEERS
built the famous yacht, America.
The Julia's anchorage, was a buoy just off what is now the Cob Dock, at the Navy Yard.
When WATERBURY sold this yacht, she was altered into a schooner.
The yacht, Sappho, was built at the Pollion shipyard, near the Jackson Street Ferry.
Two relics of the early days stood on a lot at what is now, #89 South 2nd Street.
The original engine house of, Protection Engine Company No.2, faced the Street and the lock-up
in the rear. The latter was erected prior to the engine house, a two-story brick building containing
the first cells.
All around it was open land, pastures and orchards.
The four cells occupied the ground floor. The keeper and his wife, lived in the upper story.
The first keeper was:
James OSBORNE, succeeded by:
Mrs. WEEKS, and her son, John, who remained in charge until the property was sold to William BAKER.
All public business of Williamsburgh was transacted in the upper portion of the engine house.
BAKER took down both structures and erected flats on the site. After, the engine house had been
built the station house in the rear, was reached by an alleyway.
The Village Trustees, used to meet at their chamber in the engine house.
The Episcopalians held services, for about two years, in Trustees Hall here, until St. Marks Church
The Baptists also held services here for a long time.
The Williamsburgh Lyceum, was established in 1838, holding its sessions in the court room here.
It was the first literary organization in the village.
Jimmy OSBORNE, the keeper of the cells, was one of the characters of the village.
The station house, was after the old lock-up had been vacated, Williamsburgh had become a city,
established in the original District No. 2 School house. The quarters of the engine company were
moved up the street to the building now adjoining the Gas Company's building, formerly a chapel
of the Presbyterians.
This engine house became now, the City Hall and later Fireman's Hall and Temperance Hall. It finally
was altered into flats.
The first bell tower in Williamsburgh, stood in a lot about 50 x 100 feet in size, at the northwest
corner of South 2nd Street & Bedford Avenue, where now the Gas Company's Building is standing. The
structure was about 60 feet in height. There was a five foot iron fence with one or two panels gone,
which enclosed the lot. The tower caught fire near the top and the bell ringer, HAFFEY, lowered his
life rope and men, tied the rope, to the iron fence and he shot down to safety.
The Williamsburgh Dispensary, occupied the first floor of the three-story house, next to the fence
and Dr. HARDCASTLE was the doctor for years.
The bell tower became known as the, 13th Ward Bell Tower.
T. W. ECCLESTON, was the bell ringer here, from 1858 to 1862 and John P. HAFFEY was his assistant.
In 1863-64, John P. HAFFEY, was the bell ringer and John KIRKMAN was the assistant.
On the southwest corner, stood in 1850, the house of, Mrs. Effie SIMMONS, familiarly known as Granny,
a sister of Squire LEAYCRAFT. This stood upon a high hill and one had to ascend several flights of
stairs to reach it.
On the southeast corner, stood the Reformed Dutch Church, of which, Dr. PORTER, was the pastor.
The Sunday school room adjoined the church. A man named FERRIS rented it and conducted a day school
there during the week.
Next door, was the house of, Dr. M. LANE, a Scotch Presbyterian Minister, who was in charge of the
First Presbyterian Church, on South 4th Street.
Garrett and Grover C. FURMAN, New York City Merchants, purhased 25 acres of land on South 1st Street,
about 150 feet from what became Grand Street. They offered the Reformed Dutch congregation the choice
of a lot, 100 feet square, on their tract for a church site. The cornerstone of edifice was laid on
September 28, 1828, by John A. MESEROLE, a patriot of the Revolution. The edifice was dedicated on
July 26, 1829. The Rev. BRODHEAD, of New York City, preaching the sermon.
Abraham BOERUM &
James M. HALSEY were chosen trustees.
The Rev. James DEMEREST, was secured as preacher. He served the first six
months as missionary and partly at the charge of the Board of Domestic Missions. This was the second
church founded in Williamsburgh.
The Methodist Church, having been founded a score of years prior, the congregation was small, the
village then being confined to the lower parts of Grand Street & Metropolitan Avenue. Fourth Street
(Bedford Ave) was a farmers lane, rough, uneven and here and there studded with stumps of the original
forest. Dominie DEMEREST, remained for nearly ten years, resigning in May 1839,
succeeded in the following October, by the Rev. William Howard Van DORN.
The church was enlarged and repaired and modernized during the winter of 1848-49.
Rev. Van DORN, resigned in, 1849, and the Rev. Job HALSEY, served as stated supply.
On November 13, 1849, the Rev. Elbert STOTTHOFF PORTER, was called to the pastorate, which he resigned
In 1865, the edifice was sold and a number of lots were bought in North Brooklyn on Bedford Avenue,
corner of Clymer Street. A brick edifice built here, was dedicated on, October 17, 1869.
After Dr. PORTER had left the church here, he went to his farm at Claverack, N. Y. He died in 1888.
While the closing exercises of, Professor METCALFE'S Seminary, were in progress in the Reformed Dutch
Church, on South 2nd Street, in 1853 the tornado struck this building. The spire crashed down on
roofs of buildings on the south of the church and many timbers fell through the ceiling onto the
organ gallery at the west side. No one was sitting in the gallery. The spire was never rebuilt.
A public cistern was built in front of this in 1836.
The foundation for the South 2nd Street Methodist Episcopal Church, between Driggs Avenue & Roebling
Street, was laid in 1837. The Church was organized in 1838.
The colored congregation worshipping in 1898, at the corner of South 3rd Street & Hooper Street,
worshipped for some time in the old chapel on Metropolitan Avenue. Until 1842, the Methodist Church
belonged to the Williamsburgh Conference, which also included the
Cross Roads and the
Wallabout Churches, with one minister in charge of all four churches.
In 1842, a preacher was appointed for the South 2nd Street Church.
In 1875, the entire interior of the church was refitted and partly remodelled;
1; The front was changed entirely providing three entrances in place of one.
2; A wing was added on the west side containing a class room for infants.
3; In 1883 the Sunday Schoolroom, infant class room and other class rooms, were refitted.
The first minister was Rev. COLVILLE, D. D.
In 1845 there was a slightly interrupted pathway, from South 2nd Street near Roebling Street
to Peck Slip Ferry.
St. Paul's Protestant Episcopal Church, was organized in 1844, in Franklin Hall, later services were
held in an upper room at Grand Street & Graham Avenue and from 1850 to 1851 again in Franklin Hall.
St. Paul's Academy, for young ladies was fostered by this church.
Edmund DRIGGS, died in 1889, he resided in 1865, at #91 South 2nd Street.
A. GOTTLIEB, paper dealer, #54.
Protection Hose Company No. 2, was organized in 1834, at old #48, now at #89 2nd Street, between
Wythe Avenue & Berry Street.
James H. PULLIS, Homestead stood near Keap Street.
B. GREENBERG, Sale & Exchange Stables, #358.
Trustees Hall, was in 1850, South 2nd & Hooper Streets.
The first regatta of the New York Yacht Club, was held in 1855. When on its annual cruise, off
Glen Cove, Long Island, over the course around the Stepping Stones, the prize was won by
In 1890, the Brooklyn Sugar Refining Company, foot of South 2nd Street.
ARNOLD & FAGAN, horse shoers, #311.
Joseph FIRMBACH, organ builder, #373.
BROWER Brothers, printers, #378.
South 3rd Street, was opened in 1830, to the then village limits, the Keikout Road or Old Road,
or to about Hooper Street.
HAVEMEYER, TOWNSEND & CO., sugar refinery in 1859.
Industrial School & Home, in 1905, #14.
St. Joseph's Academy, R. C., in 1867, #34.
Eastern District Hospital & Dispensary, #108.
Three little houses, between Berrv Street & Bedford Avenue, were occupied by the:
First Universalist Church & Society, was organized in 1845, in the building known as the
New City Hall at Wythe Avenue near South 5th Street. A brick building was erected in 1847, on the
southwest corner of South 3rd Street & Bedford Avenue. When this building became inadequate, the
congregation sold it in 1874 to the Methodist Protestants and moved to South 9th Street, and finally
to Flatbush where it is still known as, All Soul's Universalist Church.
In 1902, All Soul's Church of Williamsburgh, was organized. The Church of Divine Love was in Flatbush.
In 1905, All Souls Universalist Church, moved to Flatbush and united with the church of Divine Love.
A new edifice was erected on Ocean Avenue, in which the memorial windows of the South 9th Street
Church were installed.
The Methodist Protestants, bought the former Universalist Church, on South 3rd Street & Bedford Avenue,
in 1874 and the Rev. J. J. WHITE, was in charge, until his death, December 5, 1923; he was known as the
On February 1, 1895, the church was re-opened as, Pentecostal Tabernacle, the congregation disbanded
about 1909, the building remaining vacant, and fell into decay.
Brooklyn Throat Hospital, founded in 1878, was in 1893 at South 3rd Street & Bedford Avenue.
Williamsburgh Savings Bank, was incorporated on April 9, 1851, and was at first located in the
basement of the Universalist Church, opening up for business on June 9, 1851. The institution
erected a building on the opposite northwest corner of South 3rd Street & Bedford Avenue.
It occupied it in 1875.
The building was enlarged in 1906.
In it was the library and reading room, of the Williamsburgh Y. M. C. A.
organized 1854, the meeting place of the Young Men's Literary Association.
The congregation of the, First New Jerusalem Church, also met here.
In later years, this building was the home of the, Williamsburgh Hospital.
Rivers Assembly Rooms, were in 1893, #143.
Brooklyn Industrial School, 1870 corner of Driggs Avenue.
The South 3rd Street Presbyterian Church, was on the northwest corner of South 3rd Street & Driggs
Avenue. It was organized in 1844, in Odd Fellows Hall, across the street. Services were held for
some time in this building and later in the, Reformed Dutch Church.
Originally called, Presbyterian Church of Williamsburgh, the present name was adopted after several
The cornerstone was laid in 1844 and the edifice was dedicated in 1846.
The first minister, the Rev. Paul E. STEVESON, was installed in 1845.
The Rev. John D. WELLS, was installed in 1850 and served many years until his death.
In 1849, a town clock was purchased for the sum of 600 dollars. It was a McNEELY clock. It was
installed in the tower of the South 3rd Street Presbyterian Church. The clock had four dials and struck
the hour on the bell in the tower. This clock served for many years.
M. J. NEVILLE'S, private school for higher grades, was held in the basement of this church about 1850.
District School No. 3, of the town of Bushwick, had occupied a one story frame building erected in
1820 on grounds, 30 x 100 feet, donated by David DUNHAM.
The site was at what was known as "where the old log cabin stood" on the block bounded by Grand,
North 1st, Berry Streets & Bedford Avenue.
A second-story was added in 1839.
An Englishman of the name of Beverly, was the first school master, he was still in charge in the
In 1843, this school became Williamsburgh District No.1 School.
The frame school was later used for a colored school.
Old RIVES was the teacher in the early 40's, he was succeeded in 1847 by Pop BUTLER.
In 1849, the frame school was removed to Roebling Street and was still standing in 1890.
Odd Fellows Hall, was erected in 1843, on the southeast corner of South 3rd Street & Driggs. It
was a brick building and was used for meetings and lectures. This building became, in 1850, the
successor of, District School No.1, whose district embraced the territory west of Union Avenue,
in other words, the original Williamsburgh.
Later years, the building was used for a time as the Truant School before the building on Jamaica
Avenue was erected and still later, as a branch of the Brooklyn Public Library. It also served as
the first home of the Eastern District High School, which opened here on February 5, 1900;
later, it became an annex of P. S. #50.
P. S. #16 is the lineal successor to Williamsburgh District School No. 1.
The site of P. S. #16, alias Wilson Street School, on Wilson Street, near Bedford Avenue , was
purchased of James TRIPPE, in February 1858, for the sum of 7,500 dollars.
The old brick building bore the inscription, 1858, over the entrance.
A new building was erected in 1917.
Eastern District Homeopathic Dispensary, was incorporated in 1872, at #194.
Free Union Methodist Episcopal Church, (colored) was in 1851, near Keap Street.
First Congregational Church, was organized in May 28, 1843, by former members of the
First Presbyterian Church.
Williamsburgh Dispensary, was established in 1851.
Dr. BLANHASSET, lived between Berry Street & Bedford Avenue.
Eastern District Hospital, between Berry Street & Bedford Avenue, was erected by Bernard GALLAGHER,
the builder. This institution was later consolidated with the Williamsburgh Hospital.
Eastern District Hospital, was for a time, run as a clinic and finally this was given up.
The building stood vacant for a while and was about 1921 converted into an apartment house.
Col. Louis FINKELMEYER, was a jeweler. He came to Brooklyn in 1865, and established his business
in 1868, at #23 Maiden Lane, New York City.
In the 80's, he resided at, #336 South 3rd Street.
William F. HAVEMEYER, a brother of Frederick C. HAVEMEYER, was elected mayor of
New York City in 1845, by the Democratic party. He was Mayor from 1845-46 and again in 1849.
He succeeded his father in the sugar business. His refinery as well as his dwelling were in
Vandam Street in the 40's.
John STRUBEL'S Iron works, #33.
ELBRA Paint and Color works, #35-37.
St. Joseph Academy, #61.
E. F. KELLY & Co., livery stables, #117.
William MULLON, Iron Works, #313.
May 15, 1896, the pier at the foot of South 3rd Street, collapsed under 10,000 bags of sugar, a
loss of 40,000 dollars was caused.
The bagging factory at #37-39, was destroyed by fire on January 29, 1892
Kings County Sash Company plant, was damaged by fire on September 2, 1909.
South 4th Street opened in 1827.
American Sugar Refining Co., in 1905, at South 4th Street & Kent Avenue.
Harmnnie Hall. was in 1855. located at #59-61, between Berry Street & Bedford Avenue.
Williamsburgh Equestrian Institute, #59-61, between Berry Street & Bedford Avenue.
The site for P. S. #37, known a South 4th Street School, near Berry Street, was purchased in 1873.
L. A. MARTIN, the former head of P. S. #50, was its first principal.
He served for about forty years and died in 1905.
MILLER Homestead, known as Mrs. MILLER'S House, in 1853, upon the high sand bluff along the
line of Bedford Avenue, known as Kijkuit or Lockout, at what is now South 4th Street.
In 1860 the house was demolished.
The quarters of W. R. MESEROLE'S stages, 1855, #81 South 4th Street, between Bedford & Driggs
Avenues. MESEROLE'S stages ran to Newtown.
First Presbyterian Church of Williamsburgh, was organized in 1842 and erected in 1848, on
the northeast corner of Roebling Street. The first chapel that was on South 2nd Street, became
the City Hall, in 1848, and the chapel of the church, on the Roebling side is a replica of the
The storm of 1853, blew down the steeple of the church. Having been replaced, another storm
in 1898 loosed the steeple and it had to be taken down. The congregation disbanded about 1887
and the Grand Street Methodist Protestant Church, purchased the edifice in that year and adopted
the name Trinity Methodist Protestant Church.
The Roman Catholic Church of St. Mary's Queen of Angels, Lithuanians, purchased the building in 1899.
It's front has been somewhat remodelled in recent years.
The second storm (of 1898) caused the steeple to lean towards north, that the top was
6 feet out of plumb.
A. & H. KEMP, in 1852, lived on the brick row on Lafayette Place, on the south side of
South 4th Street, opposite the Presbyterian Church. The steeple in its fall, in the following year,
damaged one of these houses seriously.
P. S. #20, between Havemeyer Street & Marcy Avenue, was in use since about 1853.
Later, it became, P. S. #50.
The latter number was after awhile applied to a large school erected about 1900, on South 3rd
Street & Driggs Avenue. The building on South 4th Street, was then used for the Continuation School
and became known as, P. S. #166.
The Grand Street Extension, cut off part of the structure and the building has been condemned
but is still in use.
Equestrian Institute, between Berry Street & Bedford Avenue, in the 1850's, was patronized by
the leading families.
Henry C. HOWARDS, was the manager, he lived on Berry Street.
The school was abandoned in the 1860s and the building was afterwards, used as a factory for
making wooden spelling blocks.
P. S. #37, was known as the, South 4th Street School. Acquired in 1873 and erected soon thereafter.
It became the most important school in the neighborhood.
P. S. #20, on South 4th Street, near Marcy Avenue, had formerly been the leading school here,
since about 1853. George L. A. MARTIN, who had commenced as principal of P. S. #20, was the first
principal of P. S. #37. MARTIN served about 40 years, until his death in 1905.
He was succeeded by;
Joseph A. HANAPHY.
W. Ten BROECK
John F. HARRIS,
P. S. #37, was organized in 1876 as a grammar school and is located near Berry Street.
On the northwest corner of Bedford Avenue, a colored man kept a grocery, in 1845 he owned the building,
a three-story and basement house.
First Presbyterian Church (New School) of Williamsburgh, was organized with fifteen members, under
the Presbytery of Brooklyn, on May 26 1842. Shortly afterwards, its members became divided on the
subject of abolitionism, resulting in the dismissal of four male and three females.
Williamsburg Post Office, in 1870, was located in the WALL house, occupying the space of an
ordinary small store.
It took care of the Eastern District, as a the term was used by the postal officials, meaning
Williamsburgh, Bushwick & North Brooklyn.
Three deliveries, were made 6 days a week, two of these deliveries were made in the
13th &1 4th Wards, the third delivery covering the other sections.
Thirteen letter carriers and four clerks handled the postal service of the 13, 14, 15, 16, 18
& 19 Wards.
The 17 Ward, Greenpoint, was at that time not populated sufficiently, to have carriers, residents
either called for their mail or paid to a special carrier two cents for a letter.
When the post offices consolidated later, the WALL House was the station as before and Greenpoint
was given three carriers, a clerk and a post office was established in TREADWELL'S real estate
office on Greenpoint & Franklin Avenue.
In 1865 the Williarnsburgh Post Office, was at 78 Fourth Street.
Abel SMITH, established in 1845, the licorice business known as, YOUNG & SMYLIE, which was in the
1880's at, #180 to 186 First Street. They imported the glycyrhiza roots from Turkey, Spain and
Sicily for their product.
Brooklyn Naphtha Renovating & Carpet Dusting works, established in 1882 at, #414 South 5th Street.
The office was at, #377-379 Broadway. Clothing, velvet, suits, lace garments, furs, upholstered
goods, feather beds were cleaned here and any kind of carpet down to the most delicate, Aubusson.
KING Paint Manufacturing Co., established in 1852, was at, #31.
STEVEN'S Paint Specialty Co., #33.
R. C. SIMMONS, nickel plater, #33.
LYON Manufacturing Co., patent medicines, #41.
Albin MOODHE, livery stables, #97.
Wm J. MORAN, mason, #141 South 5th Street & #75 North 7th Street.
R. A. SCHLITZ, M. D., #318.
Francis A. SCHLITZ, M. D., #318.
Julius Von HOFE, fishing tackle manufacturer, #351.
HELLMANN, MULLER & Co., soda water manufacturer, #437.
Philip RINDON, ink factory, #31-33, it was destroyed by fire, May 19, 1902, a loss of $100,000.
Later it was known as the, American Ink Co.
A petition was presented on January 9, 1833, for the opening of South 6th Street from Bedford
Avenue to the East River.
South 6th Street, ended at the Keikout Lane, the original village limit, at about halfway between
Keap and Hooper Streets.
Some houses on Broadway, probably still have marble slabs with the inscription, South 6th Street.
One was torn down a few years ago at about Rodney Street, a sign had covered the slab, but when
that was taken down the name, South 6th Street, was uncovered.
From the Keikout Lane to Flushing Avenue, the road was later laid out and graded by the
property owners. This thoroughfare was made one through sufferance, as it was never opened
by the city.
Pat HAYES, the Warden of the Crow Hill Penitentiary, lived on South 6th Street, the second door
east of Berry Street.
Pacific Engine Co #8, was located on this street, near the junction of South 7th Street.
Herbert E. SUDDERLY, shirt maker, #23.
Henry H. KEHRS, printer, #43.
The International Hotel, #91.
J. C. DAYTON Co., livery stables, #101-105 South 6th Street & #19 Union Avenue.
John BENNETT, livery stables, in 1855 was at, #68-70, between Berry Street & Bedford Avenue.
Hiram WILLIAMS, Naval (oil) stores, #97.
Bedford Avenue Theatre, was on the northside of South 6th Street, a few doors west of Bedford Avenue,
built by W. W. COLE. It opened in 1891, by Fanny BRICE, in the farce, "A Jolly Surprise."
Later it was known as the Empire Theatre. sold on January 8, 1908, for the sum of, $850,000.
Part of the structure had to be demolished for the construction of the Williamsburgh Bridge.
Pacific Engine Company No. 8, in 1835, was located on South 6th Street, near Bedford Avenue.
Isaac H. WILLIAMS, painter, in the 1860's was at, #97,
1880's at, #62 Fourth Street & #1250 Fulton Street.
Carleton Hotel, northeast corner of South 8th Street & Kent Avenue.
South Side Railroad Co., opened its steam railroad in 1867, from Bushwick Depot at Bushwick
Place & Montrose Avenue to Patchogue.
Connection with the ferries was had by cars drawn by a steam dummy engine, running from Bushwick
Depot via Boerum Street, Broadway & South 8th Street to the South Side Terminal at the foot of
South 8th Street (later Roosevelt Street Ferry).
On the first day, the steam dummy was running on Boerum Street, it ran over a boy, severing one
of his legs, thereafter a man or boy was sent ahead of the trains.
A man on horse back waving a red flag, used to ride ahead of the cars to get pedestrians out of
When the South Side Railroad came under the control of the Long Island Railroad Co., in 1876, the
line through Williamsburgh was abandoned.
Steve STOKES, held the job at one time.
The railroad had then stations, in N.Y.C., at the Roosevelt Street Slip & at Grand Street Slip.
Signs at the entrance indicated the proper boats to be taken for the trip to South 8th Street.
Here, the passengers boarded the cars at the station which was close to the ferry house. The steam
dummy pulled the cars to the Bushwick station, also known as the Upper Station.
The railroad used the old Charles SCHENCK farmhouse for its depot. The barn stood on the south of
the farmhouse, between its rafters an English bank note was found, issued prior to the days of the
A pile of cannon balls was dug up nearby, which seemed to indicate that a military post had been
here at one time.
Here were the station, the freight station, engine house and repair shop and it was here a
locomotive replaced the dummy engine and the trains turned east, around the Bushwick flats and
Newtown Creek. Nearby at the creek's bank at the head of navigation were the docks of the railroad.
Along here was the old swimming hole called the "Two Cent Place", at this resort the boys of the
1880's used to play ball on Sundays.
BURR & Co., Block & Pump works, corner of South 8th Street & Kent Avenue.
Young Ladies Institute, of the Misses FIELD, at Berry Street.
J. F. McCARTHY, photogravure printer, #110.
The Lyceum Building, northeast corner of Bedford Avenue, erected by, Edward SMITH, and is now known
as the SMITH Building.
In 1874, it was used for public occasions.
In 1876, the Union Club had its quarters here.
In 1881, SMITH GRAY & Co., occupied it for manufacturing purposes.
Edward SMITH was a member of this firm.
The building was occupied by STOVER'S, Dry Goods Store, a fire on April 29, 1887.
Early 1890's the GOERKE Bros., Dry Goods Store, was located here.
W. H. GAYLOR, Commissioner of Buildings, appointed by Mayor Seth LOW in 1881, resided at, #110. He
was an architect and builder by profession.
TRENOR'S Academy, was on South 8th Street, between Bedford & Driggs Avenues and near Bedford Avenue.
Third Unitarian Church and the Harvard Benevolent Society, connected with this church.
Captain Francis A. BABINGTON House, in 1855, #13, between Driggs Avenue & Roebling Street.
Captain BABINGTON was a pilot.
This site was later occupied by Yale Hall, #131-33. Here the Eastern District Y. M. C. A.,
was organized in 1889. It was ocated here until 1906.
Brooklyn Eastern District Library Association, in 1870 was at, #131-33.
Long Island Business College, #143-49, between Bedford & Driggs Avenues, in November 1921, it was
purchased by the City of New York for $70,000, from the estate of, Henry C. WRIGHT. The building
was acquired by the city for the use by the Continuation School, to take the place of, P. S. #166,
on South 4th Street near Havemeyer Street, which building had been reduced in size by cutting
through of the Grand Street Extension and had subsequently been condemned.
Pontiac Club, #152.
A. E. LAWRENCE, costumer, #212.
Williamsburgh News Company, news dealers, #216.
Henry WOERNER, manufacturer of paper boxes, #216.
McQUADE'S Ropewalk, midway between South 8th & South 9th Streets, ran from Driggs Avenue to
Roebling Street. It blocked Bedford Avenue, if any one wanted to cross the street, he stepped
down two steps, stooped under the rope and went out of the building through the door on the
other side. When this ropewalk was taken down "from across Roebling Street and up the alley",
small houses were erected which stood sideways and the name McQUADE'S Alley, alias McQUADE Place,
Professor TROVER, Dancing School, South 8th Street in 1855, at the site occupied in 1898 by
the Y. M. C. A. rooms, afterward in Washington Hall, at Broadway & Bedford Avenue.
Loftus WRIGHT, painter, #216.
Phoenix Hall, #118.
William A. FRENCH & G. A. WEBB, dancing teachers, #118.
FRENCH had an additional place, #163 Clymer Street.
John KELLY, horse shoer,#118.
Mary A. WILFORD, elocution teacher, #206.
R. A. SMITH & Brother, printers, #216.
Charles J. McGINNIS, horse shoer,#220.
Frederick HOEFT, Salt Water Baths, in 1855 at the foot of South 9th Street.
DeCASTRO & DONNER, Sugar Refinery, was at the foot of this street.
Brooklyn Poultry Co., #11.
William VOGEL Brothers, manufacturer of sheet iron, tin ware, #37 to 47.
WALL Mansion, a brown stone building at #66, midway between Wythe
Avenue & Berry Street, was built in 1854 and occupied by William WALL, the second and last,
Mayor of the City of Williamsburgh.
When consolidation took effect on January 1, 1855 the keys to the City of Williamsburgh were
handed over to the municipal officers of the consolidated City of Brooklyn in the parlors of
this building. The house was taken down in April of 1914, to make room for an apartment house.
The residence of Dr. Abraham BERRY, the first
Mayor of Williamsburgh, was
in 1866 located at South 9th & Berry Streets.
Grecian Building, between Berry Street & Bedford Avenue.
Professor Silas METCALFE'S Academy for Young Ladies. occupied the basement.
The Ampbion Theatre. at Bedford Avenue was built in 1887.
New England Congregational Church. north side of the street, between Driggs Avenue & Roebling
Street, was erected in 1853. Fire destroyed the edifice on December 22, 1893. It was rebuilt in
the following year.
The Society was organized in 1851 and they first worshipped in a hall on Driggs Avenue & South
It merged later with the Lee Avenue Congregational Church, which organized in 1854.
They became known as the, United Congregational Church, at Lee Avenue & Hooper Street.
The Baptists held meetings in this edifice in the early 80's until their new church at Lee Avenue
& Keap Street was completed.
The Evangelical Lutheran Congregation later occupied this building on South 9th Street.
Iroquois Club, #190.
Calvary Protestant Episcopal Church, in 1893 was at the south corner of Marcy Avenue.
Eastern District Branch of the Y. M. C. A., erected its new building during 1904-05, on this corner.
George P. JACOBS & Co, steam fitters & plumber supplies, was at Rodney Street.
All Souls Universalist Church, was founded in 1845, South 9th Street, in 1872.
The chapel on Wythe Avenue was rented for 200 dollars a year in 1845.
The church on Bedford Avenue (4th St.) was erected in 1848.
The church on South 9th Street was completed in 1874.
The new chapel on South 10th Street, was completed in 1876.
Calvary Protestant Episcopal Church, in 1898, was at Marcy Avenue. The Rev. Cornelius L. TWING, pastor.
Herman COLELL, leaf tobacco dealer, established in 1860 at, #202 Chatham Street, N.Y.C.
In the 1880s, he resided at, #171 South 9th Street.
Robert DAWSON & Son's Iron Works, was at the foot of the street.
New York Casket, #32-40, was totally destroyed by fire on June 10, 1905.
The tin factory and many nearby tenement houses were damaged.
South 9th Street opened and regulated from the river to South 6th Street in 1936.
KLOTZ Brothers brick yard, foot of South 9th Street, as it appears at the site
formerly occupied by the Peck Slip Ferry.
An orchard extended in 1845, from the vicinity of South 9th Street & Bedford Avenue, almost
to Peck Slip Ferry and there was a well worn diagonal pathway through it.
Abajah B. CUMMINGS, of the New York Observer, bought a number of lots on the
north side of South 9th Street, beginning at Bedford Avenue. He built a large residence which
he occupied in 1843. East of his house was a large garden for vegetables and a good sized
greenhouse for rare plants and flowers. On the south side of the garden was a stone wall
twelve or fourteen feet high, covered with vines. On the south side of South 9th Street was a
wall of boulders and south of that, Wheat Hill spread out its acres.
William WALL, the second and last Mayor of Williarnsburgh, elected on the
Whig ticket in 1854, was born in 1800, in Philadelphia. It was there that he was apprenticed to
the trade of ropemaker when he was fifteen years old. He worked and had to gain capital
to begin business on his own account.
Having purchased a ropewalk on Washington Street, Brooklyn, he moved the business in 1836 to Bushwick
and opened it on a much larger scale.
William WALL & Son Rope & Cordage Works, on Bushwick Avenue, established in 1854 and later
consolidated with the, Standard Rope & Cordage Co., but the old place remained.
William WALL became a member of Congress.
He died on April 22, 1872.
His residence was at South 9th Street, between Wythe Avenue & Berry Street, while being Mayor.
The house was a 25 x 65 feet brown stone and basement house.
Hiram VAILl was the builder, its costs were 10,000 dollars.
The building was taken down in April 1914.
Jonathan BURR, lived on South 9th Street near Driggs Avenue.
Next door lived Daniel NORTHRUP.
Professor METCALFE'S, Private School for Young Ladies, in the 1850s, at South 9th Street.
A stone pier was built in 1840, at the foot of this street and from the pier a rough wagon road
extended to the line of Division Avenue & Broadway to the Jamaica Turnpike.
Along this road were ponds, above Hewes Street & from Wallabout Creek to the Newtown Turnpike,
on Flushing Avenue, reached a marsh known as the Nigger Pond.
Wallabout Creek, crossed the road at Wallabout Street and a small arm of the Bushwick Creek
ran along the line of Flushing Avenue, extending into the Wallabout.
A country station was at McKibbin Street, where bait could be purchased and boats hired for
fishing in Newtown Creek.
Leshe HORTON'S Tavern, on Flushing Avenue near Broadway.
John T. JOHNS, kept a dry goods store near the tavern.
Broadway has been constructed on the line of this wagon road.
George LAW, started in 1857, a ferry line plying from the foot of this street to James Slip
in New York City and cut the fare from four cents to two cents.
The owners of the Peck Slip Ferry took up the challenge and after the fare had been forced
down to one cent for a passage to New York and return, the two ferries consolidated.
LAW'S boats were sold to the Federal Government during the Civil War. They were provided
with an armor of boiler iron on the sides and a gun was set up on either end and the boats
were put in service as war vessels upon the southern rivers.
Ethan Alien, survived the war and returned to duty on the ferries.
The Commodore Barney, had received serious injuries by a cannon shot and the boat could
only be managed by a certain pilot, who alone knew how to handle the old veteran, if his
hand was missing at the helm, the boat would list to the side.
The South Side House, on the northeast corner of Kent Avenue, was directly opposite the
original ferry to Roosevelt Street, New York City. In the 1860's, it was kept by Col. GARDNER.
William MATTHIAS succeeded the Colonel as host. The little structure is
still standing, forming part of the plant of the Kings Paint Manufacturing Co.
This plant was located in 1905, at Dunham Place & South 6th Street.
After the Roosevelt Street Ferry began to run its boats from South 8th Street, the slip at
the foot of South 10th Street, was used by the Seawanhaka Boat Club. In the early days the
Seawanhaka Club was located on the Queens County side of Newtown Creek, near the old turn
table bridge, operated for many years by Pat CALLAHAN. He was in charge about 1880.
At that time the creek was the scene of aquatic events and the members of the Arlington
Boat Club often tested their strength at the oar, in their racing shells with the members of
the Seawanhaka Club. Fishing, crabbing, boating and swimming were very generally indulged in,
the waters of Newtown Creek not having then been affected as now by the sludge and the greasy
off scourings from oil refineries, chemical works and other factories, which rang the death
knell to fishing and water sports thereon.
The Sawanhaka Boat Club, had for many years a commodious club house with a shell house and
spacious verandas, at the foot of South 10th Street. A club house was also maintained at
Bedford Avenue & Clymer Street.
The last club house was at the shore of Flushing Bay, near North Beach.
John T. BRAND, meat market, was established in 1862. It was located
since 1881, at the corner of Bedford Avenue.
GUILD & GARRISON, pump manufacturer, at the corner of Kent Avenue.
McLOUGHLIN Brothers, publishers, #65 South 11th Street, corner South 11th & Berry Street.
They made toy books and colored and plain games.
G. A. and F. D. MOLLENHAUER, sugar refiners, at the foot of South 11th Street, at #14 Rush Street.
New York Leather Belting, on the corner of Kent Avenue.
Standard Oil Works, also on the corner of Kent Avenue.
James C. MILLER, oil manufacturer, at foot of street.
Opened in 1840, from Wallabout Road (Flushing Avenue) to Myrtle Avenue & in 1848 to DeKalb Avenue.
Frederick BAUGARTNER, whip sockets, #16.
Charles McGUINESS, soda water maker, #36.
ATKINSON Co., chocolate & cocoa mills, #44 to 48, destroyed by fire, October 18, 1902
William KETCHAM, horse shoer, #108.
Theodore B. KOLYER, wagon maker, #144.
Herman KOSTER, provisions, #191.
The original, Morgue Cafe, was at Spencer Street and DeKalb Avenue.
Opened in 1853, from Bushwick Avenue to Union Avenue.
On the 4 corners of, Lorimer Street, were in the 1870's, YOUNG'S milk store.
Later, it was known as;
the old Methodist Sunday School,
the residence of Mathew J. PETRY, Republican Ex-alderman, and
The store was below street level and a corner shed was built over the grocery and an old wooden
pump was under the shed. A barrom was attached to the store where neighbors used to play dominoes
The Methodist Sunday School, was known as, The First German Methodist Free Church, in 1851.
Stagg Street, were the livery stables of Louis SAUTER and of DENGEL,
and Dave DUVKER. Buffalo were kept there.
Later, a bowling alley was here.
Leopold HERBERGER, mason, #29.
Frank HESS, mason, #41.
MINDER & GEBELT'S, Brooklyn Mills, were at #66, mustard was made here.
REINHARDT & Co., scale manufacturers, #72.
KUHN Brothers, meat chopping, #77.
Charles Joseph MANN, the partner of Peter BERTSCH, resided since 1865 at #92, near Leonard Street.
J. F. BECKER & Sons, #121.
John G. LUTZ, undertaker, #132.
E. SCHEINDELMAN & Sons, knitting works were at #140.
Frederick NIEBERGALE, watchmaker, #146.
Louis J. JAHRLING, wood & willow ware, #151.
Ulrich MAURER, mason, #253.
Joseph KENNEDY, horse shoer, #271.
I. C. BRUENS, salpetre, #284.
Formerly Conselyea Street.
Samuel W. JOHNSON, stair builder, #120.
Robert W. SIMPSON, japanner, #134.
Was Washington Street and later Bremen Street.
District School No. 2, was at the Cross Roads, standing upon a hill on the northeast
corner of old Washington and Prospect, now, Stanwix and Noll Streets, bore in 1830,
evidence of great antiquity. The structure was used until 1847.
OBERMEYER & LIEBMAN, Brewery, also known as the HAVANA Brewery, #67 Stanwix Street at Noll Street.
William BEYER, mason, #79.
P. A. WERBECK, manufacturer of paper boxes, #207.
Louis SIEGEL, mason, near St. Nicholas Avenue.
Fire destroyed on March 12, 1907, a three-story planning mill on Starr Street.
Opened about 1872.
C. D. BUTT, provision dealer, #12.
Reuben MIDMER and Son, pianos, #97.
George W. BADGER, pianos and organs, #97.
Patrick BITTON, horse shoer, near Myrtle Avenue.
Wyckoff Heights Hospital, was in 1889, known as the German Hospital. The society held title
to 27 lots at St. Nicholas, Stockholm & Stanhope Streets.
Mayor SCHIEREN, laid the cornerstone, October 22, 1894. It opened on May 21, 1899.
House of Bethany Deaconesses, was at St. Nicholas Avenue & Bleeker Street.
It was dedicated on September 16, 1902.
St. Nicholas Hall, was at #261.
H. D. RAERINSCH, sewing machines, was located at #116.
Henry SCHLACHTER, mason, #171.
Named for Richard STOCKTON, signer of the Declaration of Independence.
PEARCE & HALL, hat manufacturer, #39-59. The business was founded by PEARCE'S father,
a native of Danbury, Conn., in 1858. He retired in 1878.
His son who took an active part in 1868, formed a partnership with HALL. The plant was
enlarged in 1864, 1867, 1874, & 1882, until it occupied in that year a block of 5 brick buildings.
The office of the concern was at #97 Green Street, N. Y. C.
Henry GERNSHYM & Brother's knitting works, #36.
T. McNALLY, wheelwright, #52.
P. G. SCHWARZ, macaroni & vermincelli, #207.
Charles KURTH, smoking pipes, #265.
Peter BERTSCH, resided in 1905, at #259.
Grace Presbyterian Church, organized in 1889. It opened for services on February 15, 1891.
The Hebrew Orphan Asylum Society of Brooklyn, was organized on May 26, 1878 and in October of
that year, the mansion on the south east corner of McDonough Street, was leased for 5 years
at a rental of, 500 dollars per year. The asylum was opened on January 7, 1879. The building
being in the immediate vicinity of P. S. #35, the ophans attended school there.
Col. John RUEGER, the builder, started his business in 1865. He was located in the 1880's
at Stuyvesant & Hart Streets.
John H. DROGE, M. D., #8.
Matthew FIGUEIRA, M. D., #14.
John B. MEURY, M. D., in the 1890's at #6, removing to #785 Bushwick Avenue.
The dentist, Dr. August GROSCH, was later was at #6.
Dr. David ENGEL, dentist, was at the corner of Vernon Avenue.
Both of these men had formerly been on Grand Street.
John PLANT, wire, manufacturer, #43.
Patrick DAYLON, horse shoer, #134.
Was formerly Yates Avenue.
M. TILING'S, German American Institute, at #60, was established in 1878.
TILING published an illustrated semi-monthly periodical called: Deutsch-Amerikanischer Jugendfreund.
WOODHULL & GALE, photo supplies & mercantile photographers, #306.
SCHUMWAY & Co., real estate brokers, #331.
Milton L. REEVES, undertaker, #336.
The site of the present, 13th Regiment Armory, on Sumner, Putnam, Jefferson & Lewis was about in
1880's used as circus grounds.
The Brooklyn Hard Rubber Co., #397.
John E. HUELLE, printer, #4.
LEHMAN Brothers, sewing machines, #13.
Wenzel NEWMAN, sweing machines, #24.
Charles HOFFMANN, watchmaker, #26.
Ernst A. WEBER, maker of WEBER'S Tea, #46.
Anthony F.ZAHN, M. D., #51 1/2.
Edward SCHURER, drawing teacher, #58.
Ella DONAGHY, stationer, #262.
Helena J. DUSTMANN, stationer, #334.
RINDSKOPF Brothers, rubber goods, #397.
RHODE Brothers, provision dealers, #307.
The frame houses at #311 & 313, near Rockaway Avenue, are standing back from the street line,
but in the days ago, the Jamaica Turnpike Road passed directly in front of these houses.
If these old timers could speak they would tell you of the many gay parties in carriages and
sleighs, drawn by beautiful horses, which passed under their eyes.
The other buildings are standing in a straight line, the old veterans have been left behind
on a slanting line out of keeping with the present day street system.
Five years ago, a last attempt was made to rejuvenate them by nailing modern shingles over
their weatherworn fronts.
The Keystone Bologna & Provision Co., #400.
Andrew J. DYSON, stoves, #9.
August JOHNSON, table maker, #52.
John KRAUS, wagon maker, #54.
Gustav FOLGER, wagon maker, #58..
BERKMEIRER & Brothers, stair builders, #58.
Jacob BOETTINGER, carriage painter, #74.
Daniel WIED, silver olater, #153.
The Turn Halle of New Brooklyn, on the west side of Sumpter, between Saratoga & Howard.
Richard F. CROAK, horse shoer, #221.
F. A. SCHURMANN, manufacturer of paper boxes, #136.
MELTZER Brothers Brewery, #185.
Osman EFFLER, watch maker, #110.