enter name and hit return
THE EASTERN DISTRICT of BROOKLYN
Formerly Graham Street.
Opened in 1839, from Wallabout Road to Myrtle and in 1851, from Myrtle to Lafayette Avenue.
No cross streets had been opened up to 1852.
The fire house on Taaffe, was built about 1887, on the site of the old Engine Co. No.9.
In 1886, the entire Company, was transferred to New Lots, which had just become a part
of the City of Brooklyn. This was the first paid company in New Lots and was quarted at
New Jersey & Jamaica Avenues.
When the new building on Taaffe was completed, Engine No.9, and the crew were sent back
to their former station at #209.
Engine Company No.25, and Truck Company No. 7, were organized and took the place of
Company No.9, covering the 26th Ward.
Named for George TAYLOR, Signer of the Declaration of Independence.
Opened in 1855, from Lee Avenue to Wallabout Bay.
The Appleton Mission, was on Taylor Street, between Kent & Wythe Avenue.
The Wallabout Mills & Elevators, established by John A. BYERS, in 1872, to grind corn
and the coarse grain for meal and feed. This plant was located at the foot of Taylor Street.
Francis THILL, glass manufacturer, lived in the 1860's in the Eastern District.
In the 1880s, at 16 Taylor Street.
Mert C. WISKE, musician, #80.
Formerly Wyckoff Street.
Opened in 1852, from Union Avenue to Bushwick Avenue.
GOLDBERG & Co., manufacturer of paper boxes, #29.
Empire Hall, #46.
The quarters of the, U.S. Engine Co., were at Ten Eyck Street & Manhattan Avenue.
The old fire house at #130, was sold in 1889, to Philip DUGRO, who built a
three-story house in its place.
The 16th Ward Bell Tower, stood in 1855, at Ten Eyck Street & Manhattan Avenue. Whenever a stranger
was at hand, someone would suggest a walk and the goal always was the Bell Tower.
The walk was so timed as to arrive there a little befor 9 P.M. Someone would sit down
and soon all would be seated. At the first stroke of the bell which was rung at the noon
hour and at 9 o'clock in the evening, the structure would groan and the noise from the
bell and vibration, formed a combination that would strike terror to the stoutest heart.
The poor victim would leap to his feet and run like a madman.
The 6th District Police Station, on Ten Eyck, between Manhattan & Graham Avenues, was next
to the the bell tower.
John BINHAM, was the bell ringer from 1858 to 1868, he had one assistant up to 1864,
thereafter two. This bell tower was for many years, in charge of Jake LEHMAN.
SCHNATTERBECK'S Brewery, between Union Avenue & Lorimer Street, was later occupied by
The Salvation Army. After SCHNATTERBECK'S time, the place was known, for a time, as for a
time as the Bouquet Casino.
In BENT'S, factory, at Leonard Street, the sulphur matches were first made.
George STAATS, carriage painter, was in 1890 at #25. A fire on March 28, 1906 in the
factory at #29-31 caused a damage of $25,000. The site has since been occupied by the,
Kings County Storage Warehouse.
Gustave A. BINGEL, M. D., was in 1890 #96.
Named for Matthew THORNTON, signer of the Declaration of Independence.
Henry EHM, photographer, #39.
The GAYETY Theatre, at the corner Middleton Street and at the junction with Broadway, was built by
HYDE & BEHMAN, who opened it November 7, 1892.
WATERS & Co., plumbers' suppliers, #2.
The Williamsburgh Flint Glass Works, corner of Gerry Street, was established in 1863, by
John & Nicholas DANNENHOFFER.
DANNENHOFFER Glass Works, were in later times, on Harmon near Wyckoff and the Flint Glass Co.
at #255 to 269 McKibben Street.
Oscar WEISS, sheet iron #83 and Throop Avenue.
All Saints Roman Catholic Church, German, was founded in 1867.
Throop Avenue Presbyterian Church, had it's origin in 1852, after a Sunday School was started
at Throop & Bartlett. Two years later, the school was moved to Broadway & Sumner Avenue.
H. VANDER SCHUYT'S, oil store, was at #178.
St. Matthews P. E. Church, was in 1870, and for many years after, at the corner Pulaski Street.
Lefferts Park Baptist Mission, was in 1870, on Van Buren Street, near Throop.
The Baptist Home for the Aged, was erected on Throop & Greene Avenue.
The Cresent Stables, C. T. STRICKLAND, proprietor, was located at #492.
Our Lady of Victory Roman Catholic Church, was in 1870, on Throop Avenue, between
Macon & McDonough Street. It occupies now, the entire block on the Throop Avenue side.
New York & New Jersey Telephone Co., Bedford Branch, was in 1905, located at #619.
Williamsburgh Branch, was then at #14 Boerum Street.
A gold fish pond was at the spot where the Gayety Theatre now is standing. They produced
dramatic plays and first class shows.
C. M. MEDICUS, furniture store, #18 and #20, he also had a store at 45 to 49 DeKalb Avenue.
George J. COLLINS, printer, #301 Throop.
St. Matthews Episcopal Church, was begun by, St. Mary's, and was organized as the,
Free Church of St. Matthew's, on May 25, 1859.
Jeremiah J. RAPPELYEA, donated four lots of ground, 100 square feet, on the corner
of Throop & Pulaski, on June 7, 1859.
Nicholas DANNENHOFFER, came in 1863, from Lorraine, to this country. In the early 1880's,
he was owner of the Williamsburgh Flint Glass works, at the corner of Gerry, taking up six
blocks. The "Silex" lamp chimneys were made here and 1200 dozen were made a day.
There were 150 workmen.
Fire in the factory and adjoining tenements on Throop Avenue & Lorimer on March 1, 1906,
caused a loss of 100,000 dollars.
Edward TELGENHAUER & Sons, Iron Works, #43.
Schweitzer Hall, #76.
Michael ZIRKEL, undertaker, was in 1890 at #78.
Valentine GUTTENBERGER, horse shoer, #83.
Adolph JAEGER, Snuff Manufacturer, #94.
Albert SCHMIDT, watchmaker, in 1890 at #138, later in the VIGELIUS Building at Broadway near Myrtle.
August HALTMMANN, teacher of languages, #139.
Frederick HERRMANN, umbrellas, #141.
Henry VANDER SCHUYT, dealer in lamps & oil, #161.
George SCHNEIDER, sausage maker, #165-167.
Charles KOCH, wagon maker, #184.
John B. BLOATH, wood & willow ware, #189.
John DECHENT, dry goods, #197.
Jacob ASMUS, umbrella, #213.
John LAMBRECHT, toy dealer, #202.
William HENRY, livery stables, #490.
Opened in 1855, from Flushing Avenue to Fulton Street.
Charles FROEB, wine dealer, #18.
Charles VOGTS, grocer, #73.
John McLEAN'S lively stables, #74.
John WESLEY Methodist Episcopal Church, in 1870, at the corner of Willoughby.
Tompkins Square Methodist Episcopal Church, at the corner of Lafayette Avenue.
W. C. HOTALING, real estate broker, built the house at #251 about 1871, for his residence & office.
A. C. CARLY, dealer in boots & shoes, #253, established his business in 1878.
Robert A. WRIGHT'S, real estate office was #254.
FLEER Bros., coalyard, south east corner of Lexingon Avenue
The Tompkins Avenue Congregational Church, founded November 1875, and occupied the edifice at
Tompkins Avenue & McDonough Street, later became the home of the Episcopal Church of St. Matthew.
A chapel was dedicated on March 10, 1890, a new brick edifice built on the opposite southwest
corner of Tompkins Avenue & McDonough Street.
The Presbyterian Church, corner Tompkins Avenue & McDonough Street, was sold under foreclosure
on July 9, 1875 and the Congregational Society, obtained possession from the purchasers of the
In April 1881, the Congregational Church & Society, purchased the property for $40,100 dollars.
The Rev. George F. PENETECOST, was the pastor of the church from 1880-84.
In 1882 the Rev. PENETECOST commenced street preaching in the 21st Ward and soon a mission was
established. Lots were purchased on the corner of Park & Marcy Avenues, and a frame church was
built here, seating 800 and costing nearly $10,000.
KNAPP'S, Drug Store, corner of Gates Avenue, became the property of James B. ASKEN, in 1883.
Tompkins Park, contained 7 3/4 acres, purchased by the City of Brooklyn in 1839.
The park was not improved until 1870.
The branch of the Brooklyn Public Library, in this park was opened on July 20, 1899.
Von GLAHN Bros., started their grocery store at the corner of Tompkins & Park Avenues, at #51,
about 1875. This store was later owned by SCHEER & HEINS, who had another store at #1529 Broadway.
Thomas IREMONGER'S, stone yard, was at #4, in 1890. A brick building standing there in 1900, was
being moved on March 13-14 of that year to the opposite, easterly side of Tompkins Avenue. It fell
together, while crossing the car tracks. The Trolley wires had been cut and the Tompkin Avenue car
line had arranged a shuttle service for a half day. The removal of the debris from the tracks was
impossible within the time limit. It had to be done quickly and caused an expense of $1,500.
Henry A. GOLL, druggist, in 1890, at #19.
Frederick THOGODE, grocer, #37.
The livery stables of John McLEAN, at #74.
B. NORRIS & Son, livery stables, #98.
The corner stone of the new Royal Arcanum Building, on Tompkins Avenue, between Jefferson Avenue
and Hancock Street, was laid on September 6, 1897.
Henry READ, mason, at#440.
Edward HECHINGER, manufacturer of church organs, #110 Troutman Street.
Louis HEIRLING, horse shoer, #143.
Weeksville and Carsville, were two settlements, lying between Crow Hill and the Long Island Railroad,
in the 9 Ward. These settlements were made by former slaves, who had been set free, when slavery was
abolished in New York State in 1827.
Crow Hill received its name from these settlements.
Weeksville was upon land of the LEFFERTS family.
Carsville most likely, also was upon LEFFERTS property, as the two localities were not far apart.
The Colored School No.2, is on record as being located at Carsville in 1845.
The record of 1867, says at Weeksville, at Troy Avenue near Bergen and Pacific Streets.
In the school tax, levied in 1851, a moderate sum was included for the building of a colored
school at Weeksville. This school became known as, Public School #68.
On March 7, 1893, the Board of Education united, Colored Public School #68, with Public School #83,
thus obliterating the color line.
The school was closed and the Board of Education ordered the grounds to be sold.
The Brooklyn Howard Colored Orphan Asylum, established in 1866, bought the grounds with the
old school building upon them. The plot consisted of five lots on the southwest corner of Troy
Avenue and Dean Street. The asylum acquired the property at auction for, $2,670.
Next..."U" of the EASTERN DISTRICT Streets
Back to EASTERN DISTRICT Main
Back to TOWN Main Page
Back to STREETS Main
Back to BROOKLYN Main