enter name and hit return
Find in Page
Brooklyn Daily Standard Union
Brooklyn Union Argus
Family History Center  (FHC)

Here you will find news related to church matters. 
Whether listing of churches, minister changes, church changes etc.

Family History Center
- FHC fiche 6052945
No listing of churches.  
No ministers listed thru "D" in general 
alphabetical listing
page 120- has list of ministers- does not indicate what church structure preached at

"Ministers of the Gospel"
Episcopal Church- Rev Dr Samuel Provoost [sic], 
bishop, Rev Mr. Beache, 
Rev Mr Moore

United Lutheran Church- 
Dr John Christopher Kunzie

Methodist Church- 
Rev Morrell 
Rev Mr Cloud

St Peter's Church- 
Rev John O' Brien

Presbyterian Church- 
Rev Dr John Rodgers

Reformed Dutch Church- 
Dr J H Livingston, 
Rev Dr William Linn

German Church- 
Rev Mr Gross

Scotch Presbyterian Church- 
Rev Dr John Mason

Baptist Church- 
Rev Mr Foster

Jewish Synagogue- 
Rev [sic] Gershom Seixas

- FHC fiche 6052947
page 135-  
list of ministers- does not indicate what church structure preached at

"Ministers of the Gospel"
Rev Dr Samuel Provost, bishop.  
Rev Dr Benjamin Moore. 
Rev Dr Abraham Beach

United Lutheran Church- 
Dr John Christopher Kunzie

Methodist Church- 
Rev Mr Morrell

St Peter's Church- 
Rev William O' Brien

Presbyterian Church- 
Rev Dr John Rodgers, 
Rev Mr M'Knight

Reformed Dutch Church- 
Dr John H Livingston, 
Rev Dr William Lynn
Rev J Cooper

German Church- 
Rev Mr Gross

Scotch Presbyterian Church- 
Rev Dr John Mason

Seceders Church- 
Rev Mr Goodwillie

Baptist Church- 
Rev Mr Foster

Jewish Synagogue- 
Rev [sic] Gersham Seixas

- FHC fiche 6052948
pages 38-39
"A List of the Clergy of different Denominations in the City of New York"
Right Rev Dr Samuel Provost, D D Bishop.
Rev Benjamin Moore, D D [and] Rev Abraham Beach, D D- Ministers of the 
Protestant Episcopal Church
Rev I [as in Income] H Livingston D D S T P.  William Linn, D D and 
Gerardus Arantz.  H Kuypers, of the Reformed Dutch Church
Rev John D Gross, D D, moral philosophy, P German Calvinist church
Rev John C Kunzie, D D of the united Lutheran Church
Rev John Rodgers, D D and John M'Knight of the Presbyterian Church
Rev John Mason, D D of the Scotch presbyterian Church
Rev Thomas Morrell and James Mann, of the methodist Church
Rev Nicholas Burke, apostolic priest, and pastor of St Peter's Church
Rev James Birkby, of the Moravian Church
Rev Mr Goodwillie of the Seceder Church
Rev Benjamin Foster, of the Baptist Church
Rev Mr Wall of the Independent Church
Rev [sic] Gersham Seixas, of the Hebrew Congregation

2 March 1849
The Sands Street Methodist Church is to be reopened this evening, and on
the occasion Rev. Stephen OLIN, President of the Wesleyan University at
Middletown, Ct., will preach.  Dr. OLIN is a strong, eloquent speaker
and will draw a full house.  The church edifice has been very handsomely
finished, much in the style of the building destroyed, but with some
improvements.  It is a very neat, comfortable structure and rather a
model for the imitation of other churches.  The congregation, which has
been worhiping in the Brooklyn Institute, will take possession immediately.

15 October 1877
1677 - 1877
How The Ancient Reformed Protestant Dutch Church of New Utrecht began it's 
Third Century To-day - A Grand Gala Occasion among it's Congregation - The 
Order of Exercises - Interesting Relics, Addresses, etc.
The commemoration of the two-hundredth anniversary of the organization of the 
Reformed Protestant Dutch Church of New Utrecht, to-day, was made a gala 
occasion by its congregation and the church folk of the surrounding villages. 
 The present church, which was built in 1828, was elaborately decorated with 
flags, flowers, evergreens, and mottoes.  On either side of the pulpit were 
the figures "1677" and "1877" in evergreens, and in the vestibule the word 
"Welcome" was conspicuously displayed in large letters of evergreen relieved 
by a large American flag, tastefully arranged.  In front of the church the 
national ensign floated from a tall liberty pole, and near by stood an 
old-fashioned wagon labeled "John E. Lott's church carriage in 1817."  Among 
the relics displayed in the church were two very old, shield shaped 
blackboards, on which used to be displayed the number of the hymns and 
verses, as they were sung, so that tardy worshippers might readily find the 
places in their hymn books; the first Bible used in the church, an antique 
volume, 205 years old, printed in Dutch; the old hour glass, which formerly 
stood on the ends of sticks like (??? uets) and used in taking up church collections

16 January 1878
    The Committee on Pastor of the Hanson Place M.E. Church, consisting of
Messrs. John FRENCH (chairman), Samuel BOOTH, william Mayo LITTLE, William
SCOTT, and ?. E. SAYRE, unanimously resolved to invite Rev. Dr. J.M. bUCKLEY
to become the next pastor of the church, as the triennial term of Rev.
George E. REED, the present pastor, will expire in April.  Alderman FRENCH
has written a letter of invitation to Dr. BUCKLEY, who is now pastor of a
church in Stamford, CT., but who will be well remembered as the former
pastor of the Summerfield M.E. Church in this city.  The committee
previously tried to get Rev. Dr. J. O. PECK, of Baltimore, but the New York
East Conference was too full to receive him at present.  Should Dr. BUCKLEY
come to Brooklyn, as is expecxted, Mr. REED will probably go to Stamford.

26 March 1878
A Universalist Pastor Ordained
The ordination of Rev.Nahan S.HILL,as Pastor of the Noble street 
Universalist Church, Greenpoint, occurred last evening in the church, 
and was participated in by a large number of persons.The sermon was 
delivered by Rev.C.H.FAY, the ordaining prayer by Rev.E.C.SWEETSER, 
the charge and delivery of the scriptures by Rev.H.R.NYE, the right 
hand of fellowship by Rev.Almon GUNNISON, and the address to the 
church by Rev.J.M.PULLMAN. The pronouncing of the benediction by the 
pastor closed the services.

6 January 1882
An interesting meeting of their society.
  The monthly meetng of the Society of Old Brooklynites
was held last evening in the Surrogates office, Court House.
There was a large attendance. Mr. E.D.WHITE, Vice President,
was in the chair, and DR.J.L.WATSON recorded the proceedings.
  Mr. Joel CONKLIN read a report on the proposition that the
society should give an annual dinner. It was very interesting
and after giving some account of the proceedings of the 
Calumet Club, of Chicago, concluded that it would be well for
the society not to have a yearly jollifacation at present. The
report was adopted.

  Mr.A.D.MATTHEWS then read his paper entitled "A Few Recollections
of the Clergymen of Old Brooklyn." At the commencement Mr.MATTHEWS
spoke of Rev. Charles Pettit McILVAINE, whom he met in 1828 at old
St.Ann's corner of Washington and Sands Streets. During the cholera
epidemic of 1832 Mr. McILVAINE endeared himself to many by going
from house to house among the sick and comforting the bereaved.
accompanying him were Captain HUDSON, George HALL and others. In 1833
he was elected Bishop of Ohio, and the Rev. Benjamin Clark CUTLER 
filled his place in Brooklyn for thirty years afterwards. Dr. CUTLER
was described as one among a thousand, who for the last twenty-five
years of his life was President of the City Mission and Tract Society,
which embraced pastors of all denomination. In those days there was
a fraternity of feeling between the clergy as well as church members
of various denominations, which one fails to see in later years. Coming
next to Rev. Dr. Samuel Hanson COXE, pastor of the First Presbyterian
Church, Cranberry Street, the site of the present Plymouth Church
Lecture Room, Mr. MATTHEWS said he was a man of commanding presence, 
of great learning and of wonderful memory. During a visit paid to Rev.
Dr. CHALMERS of Scotland, Dr.COXE rebuked him for having wine and brandy
on his table. Dr. COXE lived a long time on Fulton Street, near Hanson
Place, and died recently at an advanced age. Rev. Ichabod S. SPENCER
was am eminent minister of the Second Presbyterian Church, and Rev. Dr.
George W. BETHUNE, of the Dutch Reformed Church, was a preacher of great 
power, a scholar and a poet, For many years his wife was an invalid. The 
Dr. and his wife sailed for Italy, and for about two years he occupied
the pulpit of the American Church in Rome. Both died there. The Rev. 
Evan Malbone JOHNSON was long the rector of St. John's Episcopal Church,
He left a former charge at Newtown, Long Island, in 1827, and built that 
year, in Johnson Street, with his own means, and on his own land, the
church known as St. John's. For many years the seats were free to all, and 
the minister was a most liberal distributor of blessings to the poor.
Loads of wood, baskets of groceries And other things were freely sent to
widows and orphans. In the latter part of his ministry he fitted up an old 
market in High Street, now the site of Grace Mission Chapel, as a mission,
which he kept up until age and infirmity compelled him to retire. He died in
his house in PearlStreet lamented by thousands who had been blessed by his 
bounty. At the close Mr. MATTHEWS made a brief reference to Rev. Mr.
CARROLL, pastor of the First Presbyterian Church, Cranberry Street, in 1828,
and for a few years later; also to Rev. Dr. BROADHEAD, Dr.DWIGHT, of the Dutch
Reformed Church and the Rev. Nathan BANGS and Rev. Dr. LEVINGS, of the Sands
Street Methodist Church.
  The thanks of the society were tendered to Mr. MATTHEWS, and after some
remarks by S.M.OSTRANDER,  John W. HUNTER, William E. SPRAGUE and others an 
adjournment took place.

16 November 1884
First Reformed Presbyterian Church Wants the Rev. S. R. WALLACE
The First Reformed Presbyterian church, which is composed of members of the
original society who refused to go over into the regular Presbyterian fold
with the Rev. John F. CARSON and his adherents when they became the Central
church, and who built a neat little church on Monroe street, between Throop
and Sumner avenues, last year, have called a pastor, they having been
without one since they started for themselves. The choice has fallen upon
the Rev. S. R. WALLACE of Syracuse and it is regarded as certain that he
will accept. The people have heard him twice. He is a good preacher, about
45 years of age, and has a family. The call has been presented to the New
York Presbytery. 
The church has just placed a large marble tabet about the door, inscribed,
"Organized 1857; erected 1893."

14 August 1888
A  GREAT  CATHOLIC  LOSS.....THE  SACRED  HEART  CONVENT  DAMAGED  BY  FIRE.                            
It Will Cost $150,000 To Reconstruct The Building___The Nuns And Students
Escape Uninjured.

      The Convent of the Sacred Heart, the gem of the Catholic Institutions
for the education of girls on this continent, was so badly damaged by fire
last night that an outlay of about $150,000 will be required to restore it
to its original condition. Nearly 200 nuns and pupils in the convent escaped
      The convent, which comprises the "old" building on the site of the
Lorillard manse, the chapel and infirmary wing to the east, the Tannex or
class hall north of the centre building, and the west wing or parochial
school is on the rocky hill, between One Hundred and Twenty-eighth and One
Hundred and Thirty-fourth streets and Tenth and St. Nicholas avenues. The
"old" building and chapel have for weeks been in the hands of carpenters,
masons, painters, tinners, and decorators for thorough repairs,
alterations, and renovations. Tinners were at work on the roof yesterday and
it is supposed that one of them did not, on quitting work, extinguish his
      At any rate, shortly after 8 o'clock last night, an odor of smoke led
to a hurried search for its origin, and the roof was found to be on fire
near the cupola, which was in the centre of the main building. The convent
was in charge of Mme. JONES, Lady Superior and Vicar of the Eastern
Province, and Mme. DUFFY, Superior of the house. They, in a few instants,
had a special building signal struck by a man and the Mistress General of
the school, Mme. SULLIVAN, went quietly to the class hall, which is used as
a chapel while the chapel proper is being renovated, and where about 50
pupils were saying night prayers under the charge of four nuns. Mme.
SULLIVAN simply made the sign of attention, and said, "Come with me," and
the white-frocked girls marched out docilely and without asking a question,
to the convent grounds by the north door of Class Hall, and were quickly
escorted to the cottages on Convent Hill. They were followed by Mme. JONES
and Mme. DUFFY, and about 140 nuns and four men who are employed in the
Convent grounds got out hose and tried to extinguish the fire.
      The flames spread so quickly that they threw the hose aside and aided
the members of Insurance Patrol 4 to take down 25 valuable pictures in
various parts of the conventl including the famous St. Cecilia. These were
stacked up in a room on the ground floor and covered with tarpaulins; then
the statues, ornaments, and relics of the chapel were carried to the Shrine
of St. Joseph, north of the convent, and afterward such linen and furniture
as could be snatched up and thrown out of windows were picked up and carried
to the same place.
      Meanwhile the flames run along the mansard roof  of the west wing and
seized on the cupola. A regular alarm followed the special building signal
and then a third alarm was struck. Assistant Chief  BONNER was in charge and
the force was reinforced by engines summoned by a dozen special calls, so
that at 9:30 o'clock a score of engines were at work forcing water up the
hill to the convent. No hydrant was nearer than 2,000 feet, so that there
was little if any force left in the water when it reached the fire, and, the
fuel wagons not arriving, fences had to be torn down and broken up to feed
the engines.
      Had there been no water thrown on the flames they could not have had a
cleaner sweep of the building. After ravaging the upper part of the west
wing they attacked the east wing and traveled by mansard roof and fourth,
third, and second floors to the chapel building, partly destroying the
infirmary above it. They also seized on the roof of Class Hall. At 11
o'clock the fire was supposed to be under control and had, it was thought,
been confined to the main chapel, and Class Hall buildings. The first was
gutted in some places down to the second floor. The chapel escaped, but the
roof and dormitories over Class Hall were very much damaged. The nuns said
the buildings in the convent grounds and their contents were worth $500,000.
      At 11 o'clock, after the fire appeared to be under control, the water
gave out and enabled the flames to reach the music hall and class rooms,
north of the west wing, and before they could be held in check the music
hall and class rooms were gutted, and more damage was done to the west wing,
so that the loss was increased by at least $50,000. The latest estimate was:
On buildings, $115,000; on contents___furniture, apparel, $30,000; on 30
pianos in the music hall, $9,000; on chapel organ, $3,000___total, $157,000.
      At 1 o'clock this morning the fire was still burning, with only three
feeble streams of water playing on it.
      When Brother Director THOMAS of Manhattan College heard of the fire he
offered quarters for the nuns, and at 9 o'clock they left the cottages and
went to the college. The large studying room of the boys was set apart for
them, and they were fortified with cake and wine and comforted by ladies who
looked after their welfare. The pupils were sent to the houses of the Sacred
Heart at Fifty-fourth-street and Madison-avenue and 49 West
      The last mass was celebrated in the temporary chapel in Class Hall
yesterday morning by Father SLATTERY. Oddly enough yesterday afternoon Mme.
JONES laid the cornerstone of a new brownstone annex to the west wing, and
Father EVERS blessed it. This contradicts the rumor that Mme. JONES was
looking for a site for a new convent and grounds further uptown.
      It is probable that today Mme. Jones will decide what to do in the why
of repairing the damage done by the fire. The parochial building will
shelter the scholars and the nuns until Winter and it may be possible to
have such of the main building as was burned in thorough repair by the 15th
of November. Meantime the 200 pupils now on vacation will be housed and
educated at the sub-convents. The temporary chapel was so little damaged
that the Feast of the Assumption may be celebrated in it tomorrow.
      The property, which belonged to the estate of Jacob Lorillard, was
purchased in 1847. The first School of the Ladies of the Sacred Heart was
started in Houston street in 1844 and 10 years later the institution was
incorporated. In 1844 it was removed to Astoria, and three years later the
last removal to the present spacious and elegant site was made. The
daughters of the richer Catholic families were educated here, and the
academy always had a numerous patronage. The bulding was formerly a private
residence. Mme. Aloysia HANDEY was then the Mother Superior and continued
until she was succeeded by the present Mother Superior, Mme. JONES. A number
of improvements had been made to the convent since its purchase, so that the
structure had no resemblance to its original appearance.

   The Loss Is Very Heavy; The Fire burned Fiercely All Monday Night And
Demolished The Building......... Loss $400,000.
      By the fire which started in the Convent of the Sacred Heart at 8:30
Monday evening, that structure was utterly destroyed, with the great mass of
its valuable contents and at a total loss of over $400,000. It seemed at 11
o'clock that the fire, after burning out the two upper floors of the main
building, had been reduced to control: but about that time the water supply
in the large fountain on the grounds, from which two engines had been
throwing streams upon the burning building, was exhausted and the firemen
were reduced to three puny streams which were forced with great effort from
points near the foot of the hill from 500 to 1000 yards distant, and 150
feet below the level of the building where the water was needed. With this
discovery the firemen seemed to lose all their energy and discretion, and to
give up all hope of saving the building or any part of it. To add to their
seeming  despair, the wind, which had been blowing fresh from the southwest,
begun to blow with double its previous force, and fanned the smoldering fire
into a roaring furnace.
      Thousands of persons came to view the spectacle and were rewarded with
such a scene as they will never forget. The fire, which had been slowly
eating its way along the cornices and in among the rafters under the tin
roof of the main building toward the wings, seemed to break out in half a
dozen different places at once, and while the firemen were trying to save
the east wing it was working its way into the interior of the west wing. By
12:30 that wing of the main building was sending up a volcanic fountain of
sparks that fell in fiery rain among the trees upon the beautiful convent
campus. An hour later the long music hall that joins the west wing further
on the west was beyond help, and the spectacle was at its grandest. Tongues
of flame leaped up a hundred feet above the doomed buildings, and cast their
bright reflections on the waters of the Hudson on the west and on the Harlem
on the north and east. When a few moments later the walls of the long music
hall, four stories high, fell, the sparks and embers shot upward like a
blast from a volcano, and were carried by the wind clear over the Harlem
flats to the river. Shortly afterward the parochial school, a six-story,
mansard-roofed brick structure, the westernmost extension of the buildings
was enveloped in fire and from this time on no serious opposition was made
to the progress of the flames. The fire burned without further interruption
until everything combustible was destroyed, and most of the walls of the
extension buildings had fallen or were toppling ready to fall.
     Yesterday morning Mme. JONES, Lady Superior of the entire order for the
Eastern District, was confined by nervous prostration to her bed. She is a
sister of ex-Judge Samuel JONES, after whom Samuel  J.  TILDEN was named.
But Mme. PARDOW, Her chief assistant, and Mme. DUFFY, the Treasurer of the
convent, were busy among their subordinates, and from them The  Times's
reporter learned the following facts: The loss to the convent by the fire
was about $400,000, but there were many other things lost besides that could
never be replaced by money. The loss on the buildings was over $300,000 and
on contents about $100,000. Included among the contents  destroyed was a
library, a very valuable collection  of 40,000 volumes, many of which were
out of print. The insurance amounts to $169,780, of which $128,500 was on
the buildings destroyed, $25,000 on contents, $2,500 on stable destroyed,
and $3,000 on the organ. The balance, including $1,500 on the boiler house,
$4,000 on the boilers and engines, $1,500 on horses, and $3,780 on detached
buildings, covers property not destroyed. The insurance was distributed
among the following companies:
  London Assurance, $11,300;  Guardian, London,  $16,980;  Phoenix, London,
$16,980;  Westchester, New York, $25,470;  North River, New York  $5,660;
Bowery, New York,  $5,660;  Manufacturers and Builders, New York, $5,660;
North American, New York, $11,320;  Citizens', New York,  $11,320;
Imperial, London,  $8,490;  City of London,  $5,660;  Peoples', New York,
$5,660;  Nassau, New York, $5,660;  Hamilton, New York,  $5,660;  Safety,
London,  $8,490;  Fire Association, London,  $8,490;  Philadelphia,
Philadelphia,  $5,660;  United Firemen's, New York,  $5,660.
      The 30 boarding students at the convent were taken on the 10:30 train
from the Grand Central Station to the Kenwood Convent, near Albany, and the
nuns, of whom there were 160 were distributed among the convents at Eden
Hall, near Philadelphia, at Atlantic City, at 533 Madison avenue, and at
      As soon as the insurance is adjusted steps will be taken to rebuild
the convent, and in the meantime temporary quarters for the school are being
looked up so that the studies may be resumed as usual in September.

A Rector Resigns
The Rector of St. Chrysostom's Protestant
Episcopal Church, Tompkins avenue and
McDonough street, the Rev. William E.WRIGHT
read his resignation to his people on Sunday morning.
The resignation to take effect on March 6. The Rev.
Mr. WRIGHT resigns to accept one of two or three 
calls he has received lately, but where it is has not been
publicly given out, only that it is in the West.
The Board of Trustees will hold a meeting in a few days
to act upon the resignation.
There has been some trouble in this church during the last
few months, but Dr. WRIGHT has remained until everything
was put upon a good basis.His going will be regretted by the
members of the parish.

28 January 1893
The Rev. J. CARSON will lecture in the Central Presbyterian Church 
tomorrow on "A Beautiful Girl's Devotion to her Father."

27 February 1893
The new church edifice of the Arlington Avenue Presbyterian Church, Elton 
street, near Arlington avenue, was dedicated yesterday. The services in the 
morning were conducted by the pastor, the Rev. A. B. PRITCHARD.

near Franklin Ave.
The pastor, Rev. Dr. BEHRENDS, will preach Sunday morning,
March 5, at 10:30, and in the evening at 7:30.

CHURCH OF THE PILGRIMS, corner of Henry and Remsen St.
The services of divine worship in this church on Sunday, the 5th
Inst., will be conducted by the Pastor, Dr. STORRS. Sacrament
of the Lord's Supper in the afternoon. No service in the evening.
Hours of service, 11 am , 4:30 pm. Sunday schools, home and
chapel, 2:45 pm.  Society of Christian Endeavor, in conference
room, 10:15 am.

and Lafayette Aves.  Rev. THOMAS B. McLEOD, D.D., Pastor.
Services10:30 am and 4 pm. Sunday School 2:45 pm. Subject of
afternoon sermon, "Paul's Last Visit to Jerusalem."

10:30 am. Lenten musical service at 7:30 pm.  Sunday School at
3 pm. Bethel School, 2:45. Preaching 7:45 by Rev. RICHARD

Rev. ROBERT C. HALLOCK, Ph.D., Pastor. Sacrament at 10:30 am.
Reception of members. Preaching by Rev. C.H. DANIELS, D.D.
Morning Sermon, "Religion with a Heart." Evening Sermon, "A
Contrast in Values." All cordially invited.

President Sts.  Services at 10:30 and 7:30.  In the morning the
Sacrament of Baptism and the Lord's Supper will be celebrated.
In the evening there will be a public meeting under the auspices
of the Women's Christian Temperance Union with an address
by Miss EMILY M. GREENWOOD, president of the organization
in this city.

near Fulton St.  Rev. R.R. MEREDITH, D.D., Pastor.
Rev. CHARLES W. KING, Assistant Pastor. Preaching by the
Pastor at 10:30 am and 7:30 pm.  Bible class conducted by the
Pastor, Tuesday evening at 8 pm.  At the Park Ave. Branch, corner
Park and Marcy Aves., preaching at 11 am and 7:45 pm by the
Assistant Pastor.  Strangers are cordially invited.


At BROOKLYN TABERNACLE, Clinton and Greene Ave., Dr. TALMAGE
will preach tomorrow, 10:30 am and 7:30 pm, Sabbath School,
2:45 pm.

Willoughby Aves. Rev. J.F. CARSON, Pastor. 10:30 am , first
anniversary sermon.  7:30 pm, subject, "Happiness in Hell."
7:30 to 7:45 pm, praise service.

Rev. C. CUTHBERT HALL, D.D., Pastor.  Services at 11 am
and 4 pm .  The Pastor will preach.

Ave and South Oxford St.  Rev. DAVID GREGG, D.D., will
preach tomorrow morning at 10:30 and evening at 7:30.
Subject for morning, "You and Christ, or the Duty of Con-
fessing Him."  Subject for evening, "The Law of God. What
Shall I Do With It?."  Sunday School at 2:30. Strangers are

St. John's Place.  Rev. T.A. NELSON, D.D.,Pastor.  Morning
Service 10:30, followed by celebration of the Lord's Supper.
Evening 7:30, monthly service of song.  Choir to be assisted
by the Schumann String Quartet.

FIRST REFORMED CHURCH, Seventh Ave and Carroll St.
Services 11 am and 8 pm.  The Pastor, Rev. DR. JAMES M.
FARRAR, will preach. Sermon to Junior congregation in
connection with morning service. Sunday School, 2:45  pm.
All are invited.  Centennial Branch of FIRST REFORMED
CHURCH, St. Mark's Place and Third Ave.  Services at 11 am
and 7:45 pm, conducted by the pastor, REV., J.S. HOGAN.

NORTH REFORMED CHURCH, Clermont Ave above Myrtle.
Rev. E.F. HALLENBECK, Pastor. Morning at 10:45 Communion
Service. Evening at 7:45.  The famous New Orleans Jubilee
Singers will sing some of their sacred plantation melodies.
Short sermon by the Pastor.

Henry. Rev. WESLEY REID DAVIS, D.D., Pastor.  Tomorrow
the Rev. D. SAGE MACKAY of St. Albans, Vt. will preach.
Subject for morning, "Character."  In the evening a special sermon
for young men. Subject, "Reuben." All are invited.

23 February �1893
A Rector Resigns
The Rector of St. Chrysostom's Protestant
Episcopal Church, Tompkins avenue and
McDonough street, the Rev. William E.WRIGHT
read his resignation to his people on Sunday morning.
The resignation to take effect on March 6. The Rev.
Mr. WRIGHT resigns to accept one of two or three 
calls he has received lately, but where it is has not been
publicly given out, only that it is in the West.
The Board of Trustees will hold a meeting in a few days
to act upon the resignation.
There has been some trouble in this church during the last
few months, but Dr. WRIGHT has remained until everything
was put upon a good basis.His going will be regretted by the
members of the parish.

25 February 1893
A fine concert will be given at the Second Unitarian Church, corner of 
Clinton and Congress streets, next Tuesday evening, for the benefit of the 
choir fund.

The concluding service of the special evangelistic meetings that have been 
held in the Central Presbyterian Church, Tompkins and Willoughby avenues, 
will be held on Sunday evening.  Special music by the New Orleans University 
Singers, and sermon by the pastor, Rev. J.F. CARSON.  Praise service by the 
jubilee singers and choir at 7:15.

28 February 1893   
George D. OTIS, a medical student, with a temporary residence at the 
Coleman House, New York, was this morning remanded to jail in default of 
$2,000 bail for forging a check payable on a mythical banking institution 
for $175.  His father is pastor of the leading Presbyterian church of Lawrence, Mass.  
A former friend, Julius HAUSMAN, had him arrested.

The Rev. William A. WASSON has resigned as pastorof the Church of the Holy Apostles, 
Windsor Terrace.  He was rector of the church eleven months.  He has received a 
call from the Episcopal Church of Norwich, Conn.

All Soul's Universalist Church
Rev. Dr. John COLEMAN

Broadway Congregational Church
New York
Dr. Henry STIMSON, pastor
Former pastor- Dr. William M. TAYLOR

4 March 1893
Church of the Messiah, Greene and Clermont Aves., Rev. Charles R. BAKER, 
Rector.  Morning service, 10:30. Evening service, 7:30.  Sixth lecture on
"Crime and Punishment."  Subject, "Relationship of Education To Crime."

Church of the Reformation (Protestant Episcopal)
Gates Ave., between Classon and Franklin Aves. Rev. J.G. BACCHUS,D.D., 
Rector. Service, sermon and Holy Communion, 10:30. At 7:30 service with 
sermon by the Rev. C. DeW. BRIDGEMAN, D.D., Rector Church of the Holy 
Trinity, Harlem, New York City. Strangers welcomed.

St. Ann's Church, Clinton St.
Reverend Dr. ALSOP, Rector. Holy Communion, and service 11 am; evening 
service, 7:30;  Sunday Schools, 9:30, 3 PM;  Lenten daily services, 
Wednesdays and Fridays 12, 7:45 pm, other days 9 am, 5 pm.

Greenwood Baptist Church, corner Fourth Ave. and Fifteenth St.  Reverend
Robert B. HULL, D.D., Pastor.  Preaching at 10:30 am and 7:30 pm. Service 
of song before the evening sermon. Bible school at 9:15 am and 2:30 pm.
You are cordially invited to all these services.

Hanson Place Baptist Church, Hanson Place near Fulton St.  The pastor, 
Reverend A.C. DIXON, will preach at 10:30 am, and 7:30 pm.  Subject of
evening sermon, "An All Around Religion." All seats free.

At the Second Unitarian Church, corner Clinton and Congress Sts.  Tomorrow
morning at 11 am, Reverend John W. CHADWICK will preach. Subject,
"The Parable of Parables."  Monthly evening lecture at 8 pm. Subject,
"Theodore Parker, the Man and His Work."

Church of the Saviour (First Unitarian)Pierrepont St. corner Monroe Pl.
Morning service at 11, followed by Communion. Reverend Stephan H.
CAMP will preach. Evening service Willow Place Mission, 8 pm.
All are welcome.

Unity Church (Third Unitarian), Gates Ave and Irving Place. Reverend S. H.
CAMP, Pastor. Services at 10:30 am. Sunday School at 3 pm. A cordial
invitation to all.

Pouch Mansion, Clinton Ave. near Greene Ave. Reverend Dr. EVERETT will
preach at 7:30 on "The Suffering of Jesus Christ."  Lutherans preferring
English service specially invited. A cordial welcome to all. Come.

St. Matthew's (English) Lutheran Church.  Clinton St. corner 
Amity.  Reverend Dr. EVERETT, Minister 10:30, "The Foundation of the Church."
2:30 Sunday school. Wednesday, 8 pm, Evening service at Pouch Mansion. Come.

Young Men's Christian Assoc., 502 Fulton St., Sunday afternoon at 4:15, 
young men's meeting. Address by Mr. Walter HUGHSON, of Spokane, Wash.
Singing by Mr. John MIDDLETON, bass soloist Bedford Reformed Church.
6:20 pm, Conversational  Bible study. Visitors welcome.  8 pm, evening
meeting.  Good singing, interesting speakers, orchestral music.

11 March 1893
The Rev. Dr. W.H. THOMAS, pastor of St. Michael's Church, on North Fifth 
street, has resigned that pastorate to accept a call in Michigan.  
Dr. THOMAS was at one time pastor of the New England Congregational 
Church on South Ninth street.  Two years ago he embraced the Episcopal faith.  
Mr. HINES, a lay reader, will temporarily fill the pulpit of St. Michael's.

13 March 1893
At 3:30 yesterday afternoon the splendid new church, built at the cost of 
more than $30,000, by the First Swedish Baptist Congregation of Brooklyn, was 
formally dedicated.  The Rev. Dr. John Humpstone, pastor of the Emmanuel 
Church, preached an eloquent sermon, and the Rev. D.C. Eddy, pastor of the 
First (E.D.) Baptist Church, offered the dedicating prayer.

16 March 1893
The Rev. William A. DREW, the Baptist minister and book agent, in 
Jefferson Market court to-day, waived examination on the two charges 
of forgery preferred against him by Dodd, Mead, & Co., the book publishers, 
by whom he was employed as a book agent.  Bail was fixed at $2,000, in 
default of which  (something)  was committed to prison.

January 19TH 1894
The well-known Canadian Evangelists, CROSSLEY and HUNTER, who recently 
arrived in Brooklyn, are at present staying at the home of Rev. Geo. N. 
GILBERT, 202 South Oxford street, and are engaged in revival work at the 
Hanson Place M.E. Church every evening.  Their audiences are numbered by the 
hundreds nightly, and they are making many converts.  Mr. CROSSLEY's singing 
is a feature of each service.

Jan. 20, 1894
A New Swedish Church.
The Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Bethlehem Society which now worships in a
small building in Pacific street, near Smith street will erect a church
edifice at a cost of sixty thousand dollars.  R. L. DAUS, the architect, has
drawn the plans.

27 January 1894
The Revs. DREYFUS, CROSSBY, and HUNTER have met with great success in their
meetings at Hanson Place M.E. Church.  They hold three services to-morrow,
10:30 A.M., 3 and 7:30 P.M. , this will be the last week of these eminent

29 January 1894
"The Rejected Symbol"
A Book That May Lead to Trouble in the Amityville Baptist Church.
Freeport, L.I. - Jan. 29 - There is trouble in the Amityville Baptist
Church.  Its pastor, the Rev. Charles EDWARDS, will probably have to explain
his position to the Long Island Baptist Association when next it meets.  Mr.
EDWARDS some time ago brought down about his ears a cyclone of clerical
criticism, principally of a personal character, by thrusting upon the
literary word a book entitled "The New York Hoorarer: or a Visit to the
Infernal Regions and Return," a spiritual rebuke on the theory of an
existing "Hades"  The book was a financial success, thanks to the liberal
advertising given by those who condemned the work and its author from their
pulpits; and now the Amityville church's pastor is sending to press a new
venture with the romantic caption of "The Rejected Symbol"  The book
however, will hardly be received with favor by the members of Mr. EDWARDS'
congregation.  A red flag will adorn the first page, inscribed below with an
excerpt from scriptures: "God hath made of on blood all nations of men," and
the author's tribute to the flag will read:
"The principle that all men were brothers needed an emblem.  Strange that an
emblem of such principal should have been born when men were least like
brothers; strange that this trophy of a magnificent evangel, whose
incardanized hue typified the resemblance and corresponding similarity of
the fluid that flowed in al human veins, should, when first flung to the
breeze, displace ardor and enthusiasm for demoniac madness, and bring shame
and ignominy upon an emblem in itself transcendently beautiful and which
must yet, despite the stigma of its associations, become the flag of the
That Mr. EDWARDS 'reflections in his new book will stir up strife may be
expected from this unqualified statement that he also makes: "I believe in
the Bible, in Anarchy, in individualism - in everything, in fact, that is.
I also believe in another matter.  This other also is from the Bible: "The
Lord God has determined a consumption upon the whole earth' Is not the fever
already on ? And the aconite is the bomb thrower.  The voice of God says
restore the unstable equilibrium."

19 January 1926
Hebrew Burial Society Hold Annual Meeting
The twenty-eighth annual meeting of the Hebrew Free Burial Society for the 
Poor of Brooklyn, was held last night at the office of the organization at 
101 Varet street.  Cr. Samuel A. GLUCK, who has been president for the past 
eleven years, presided.
Reports of the activities of the society were read by Israel KIPNES, 
treasurer; Lesser MEYER, secretary, and several others.
The society was organized in 1898 for the purpose of burying those of the 
Jewish faith who are without funds.  No deserving case, it was stated by 
President GLUCK, is ever refused.

The officers are: Dr. Samuel A. GLUCK, president; Hyman GROSSMAN, and Joseph 
COHEN, vice-presidents; Israel KIPNES, treasurer; Simon BLECHER, 
superintendent; Lesser MEYER, secretary, and Hyman TAYLOR, recording 

Trustees Louis BERMAN, Elias ASH and JULIUS. (Note this is not a typo.)  Dr. 
GLUCK is chairman of the board of directors.

21 January 1926
Card Party to Aid St. Mary's Church
Catholic Club Plans Benefit at School Hall on Evening of Feb. 5
Plans are being made by St. Mary's Catholic Club to give a ?uchre, bridge and 
pinochle party and dance at St. Mary's School Hall, Eighty-fifth street and 
Twenty-third avenue, Feb. 5.  The Rev. Theodore J. KING, pastor of St. Mary's 
Catholic Church, is aiding in the plans for the events.  The receipts of the 
affair will go toward the benefit of the church, convent and school.

The committee in charge of the affair includes 
C. WHELAN, and J. GILLEN, Jr., 
Mrs. J. MURPHY, 
and the Misses R. ANSONI,
and A. WALSH.

24 January 1893
The Rev. Madison C. PETERS, pastor of the Bloomingdale Reformed Church, 
New York, will lecture on "Love, Courtship, Marriage and Divorce" 
this evening in the Central Presbyterian Church, Tompkins and Willoughby Avenues.

3 June 1900
Bklyn Daily Eagle
The New Buildings Will Represent an Expenditure of Over $100,000 When Completed.
The Project One Long Cherished by the Late Bishop LAUGHLIN.
Work was begun in earnest last week toward the completion of St. Edward's 
Catholic Church, at the junction of St. Edwards Place (formerly Canton 
street), Leo place (formerly Division street), Johnson street and Auburn 
place.  People having occasion to pass-through the neighborhood have probaby 
noticed the unfinished structure on the plot of ground that rises only a few 
feet above the level of the street.  The building as it stands today is only 
the basement of what is to be, if not the largest, one of the handsomest in 
point of architecture and most complete of the Catholic churches in the 
Borough of Brooklyn.  The basement is finished for church services and it is 
in this place that the members of the congregation have been worshiping since 
the establishment of the parish about nine years ago.  The unfinished 
building was roofed over when the first story was completed, because of the 
immediate needs of the parish and because of the lack of funds on hand to 
warrant the continuance of the building according to the plans.  The pastor 
of the church is the Rev. James F. MELIA.
	Father MELIA was for many years, with the late father MITCHELL, one of the 
assistants to Bishop LOUGHLIN at St. James pro-Cathedral before the latter 
removed the episcopal residence to Clermont and Greene avenues.  The project 
of starting a new church in the Eleventh Ward was, it is said, a cherished 
one of the Bishop during his latter days.  It was started to take the 
overflow of attendance at St. James' pro-Cathedral, on Jay street, which had 
become far too small to accommodate the large congregations that assembled 
there on Sunday mornings.  The parish was therefore started and Father MELIA 
was placed in charge.  The site of the new church was, until the 
establishment of the latter in the center of a most unsavory neighborhood, 
but the conditions were soon improved.
	It was the opinion of many that the section gave no encouragement of the 
possibility of obtaining resources sufficient to establish or even carry on a 
new church.  But the results have proved to the contrary and far more 
promising than the most sanguine, with the exception of the late bishop, 
could anticipate.  The church property as it stands today represents an 
evaluation of $50,000, entirely free from debt, a most remarkable showing for 
only nine years in a section that is probably one of the poorest in the city. 
 But that is not all.  In the parish there was also established a sinking 
fund to defray the expenses of the completion of the church, which today 
amounts to $30,000.  This is to begin the new edifice and rectory, an 
illustration of which is here represented.  It is unusual that --- large an 
amount of money could be raised in a comparatively poor parish containing but 
3000 members.
	It is estimated that the work of completing the church and rectory will cost 
about $75,000.  The foundation and basement, in which the services are now 
being held, cost about $30,000.  This will bring the figure for the 
construction of the parish building to a little over $100,000.  Judging from 
his experiences in the past, Father MELIA feels confident that the debt to be 
incurred by the erection of the church and Rectory will be very materially 
reduced in a few years, if not altogether wiped out.
	The style of architecture of the church will be Romanesque, with an apsidal 
or rounded front flanked by two towers.  The main entrants will expand some 
feet beyond.  The church will be 124 feet long, with an average width of 65 
feet, and will have a scating accommodation for 1000 people.  The materials 
to be used in the construction will be gray brick, trimmed with terra-cotta.  
The roof will be tiled with slate.  As the church site is a triangular plot, 
at the junction of five streets, the building will be extremely attractive.  
A courtyard will front the edifice.  To the rear of the church will be built 
rectory, with the main entrance on St. Edwards Place.  The plans of the 
building have been drawn to suit the plot of ground.  It will be three 
stories in height.  The entrance will be toward the center of the side of the 
buildings removed from the street and the rooms will be on either side, with 
a hallway in the center.  The material used will be the same as in the 
church.  Workmen are now engaged tearing down down an old brick building that 
stands on the site of the new rectory..

6 June 1900
Brooklyn Daily Eagle
The Rev. Charles WOOD, D.D., for 21 years assistant pastor of the First 
Presbyterian Church, and stationed at the City Park Chapel during that time, 
died at his home, 585 Quincy street, Monday, in his 82nd year.  Dr. WOOD was 
born in Salem, New Jersey, in 1818, his parents being Caleb and Naomi WOOD, 
well-known Quakers of that town.  When Charles was an infant his father died 
and his early life was a struggle with poverty.  While working at his trade 
of carpenter he prepared for college, and graduated from Lafayette College, 
Pennsylvania, in 1846, and from the Princeton Theological Seminary in 1848.  
He went first to Annapolis, Maryland, on missionary work.  He was married to 
Miss Mary Ann STOCK on May 26, 1849 and went to Texas as a pioneer 
missionary, she going with him.  He worked after several years and returned 
to Fox Hill, where he occupied the pulpit of the Presbyterian Church for five 
years.  His health broke down and he went into mercantile business, as a 
traveling salesman, being known throughout Pennsylvania as a "Cracker Baker 
Missionary."  He combined preaching with his secular work.  It was mainly in 
the mining districts.  He resumed the ministry when he recovered his health 
and was for three years at Absecom, and three years at Black Rock, New 
Jersey.  In 1867 he came to Brooklyn, where he has lived ever since.  He was 
pastor of the City Park Capital from 1867 till 1888, when ill health forced 
his retirement from active work.  He had since been the chaplain of the New 
York Presbyterian Home for Aged Women and did general missionary work in the 
Greater New York, up to within three months of his death.  He died from 
His wife died about two months ago, since which time he had been in failing 
health.  He leaves two children, Samuel M. LLOYD and Mrs. Crossman LYON, 
beside five grandchildren.  The funeral services will be held at his home 
this evening, at 8:00, the Rev. Dr. L. MASON CLARK officiating, assisted by 
the Rev. Robert J. KENT.  The burial will be at Newtown, Bucks County, Pennsylvania.

31 July 1910
Church News-St. John's Cantius R. C. Church
 ...growth of Brooklyn's population in recent years of foreign speaking 
people who are settling in the borough. In the last decade particularly the 
influx of Italians, Russian Jews, Slavs and Poles has far exceeded that of 
previous years. Little communities of various nationalities have sprung up in 
every section of the city with mushroom rapidity and in spite of the tendency 
to colonize these new subjects of Uncle Sam are rapidly assimilating American 
ways and customs. Perhaps the most progressive of all the newcomers in this 
regard are the Poles. They have invaded the borough in such numbers in the 
last ten yeaars that their influence is now being felt in almost every walk 
of life. First to feel the effect of the presence of these newcomers was the 
Catholic Church and in 1896 the Rt. Rev. Bishop Charles E. McDONNELL decided 
that the best way to look after them was to establish separate houses of 
worship. In South Brooklyn and Greenpoint the colonies were unusually large 
and in l896 a Polish church was established in both sections. Previous to 
that time there was but one Polish Catholic church in Broooklyn - St. 
Casimir's on Greene avenue.
       Both of the new churches, St. Stanislaus Kostka, in Greenpoint, and 
Our Lady of Czenstochova, in South Brooklyn, flourished from the beginning, 
and in the course of the next five years the influx of Poles was so great 
that the Bishop decided to establish another parish in East New York, which 
would also embrace the territory including Canarsie, Woodhaven and 
Brownsville. This undertaking, begun in a little mission at Pitkin avenue and 
Wyona street in 1892, bore fruit from the start and has culminated in the 
present Church of St. John's Cantius, New Jersey and Blake avenues, 
recognized to-day as one of the most promising of the Polish churches in the 
diocese  of Brooklyn. The present high standing of the institution is largely 
due to the arduous labor of the present pastor, the Rev. Thomas MISICKI, 
D.D., who founded the parish.
       St. John's Cantius Church has had a fight for existence which has 
seldom been paralleled in the wide range of the history of church growth in 
Brooklyn, but in spite of that fact, the church has property valued at 
$60,000, on which there is a debt of but $21,000, a remarkable record when 
the modest means of the people who constitute the congregation is taken into 
account. The property consists of the splendid plot of ground which has a 
frontage of 150 feet on New Jersey avenue, 150 feet on Vermont avenue and 200 
feet on Blake avenue. On this strip is the handsome Romanesque edifice, the 
basement of which is utilized as a school for the proper religious 
educational training of the children of the congregation. There is also a 
brick pastoral residence at 477 New Jersey avenue and a few doors down the 
convent of the Sisters of Nazareth, who guide the destinies of the children 
in the school.
       When Father MISICKI established the parish the section of East New 
York in which the church is located was hardly more than a wide stretch of 
farmland. Houses were few and far apart, but there was every indication that 
the district would soon experience a building boom. It did, but not in the 
way that Father MISICKI anticipated. In the eight years in which he has been 
the spiritual director of the Polish Catholics of the district Father MISICKI 
has seen upwards of  2,000 dwellings erected, but more than three-quarters of 
them are tenanted by families of a contrary religious faith. The fact remains 
that most of the settlers are Hebrews has made it impossible for more than a 
few Christian churches to prosper. More than a dozen have given up the 
sturggle in the last few years and moved to more favorable localities. The 
few that have remained in the field are barely holding their own, and for the 
most part draw their congregations from outside of their parish limits.
       There are other disadvantages. Father MISICKI's people for the most 
part are a laboring class who depend largely on factory work for a livlihood. 
There are very few factories in the section, and for that reason the members 
of the congregation are loath to settle in the vicinity of the church. As a 
result, few live within the parish limits, so that it is necessary for many 
to journey long distances to services. In inclement weather this makes a 
great difference in the attendance. In spite of conditions so discouraging, 
Father MISICKI has managed to more than hold his own, and so far the church 
has never had a losing year. The congregation which consisted of but a little 
more than 100 souls at the start, has steadily increased, until at the 
present time there are about 200 families, or a little less than 2,000 souls.

Each of these pre-1900 Catholic parishes are now in ZIP  11201

Parish  [location] - established - ward - language

St Charles Borromeo  [Sidney & Livingston] - 1849 - 1st
Assumption - 1842 - 2nd
St James Cathedral [ Jay & Chapel]- 1822 - 4th
St Boniface [Willoughby & Bridge]  - 1854 - 4th - German
St Ann [Front & Gold]- 1860 - 5th
St Peter [Hicks & Warren]- before 1860 - 6th
St Paul [Congress & Court] - 1836 - 6th & 10th - [primarily Irish]

1 August 2007
The Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary
72 Maujer Street, Brooklyn.  
On September 1, 2007, barring a miracle, the church will merge with 
The Most Holy Trinity parish on Messerole Street.  
Due to a dwindling congregation St. Mary's, as it is more commonly known, has been forced 
to close.  
However, the church will still be opened on Sundays for mass but will not hold services during the week.

Transcribed by :
Blanche Craton
Eileen Swanberg-Thailer
Susan  De Haas
Rita Llyod
Pat Wood
Phil Barth
Albert Somers
Miriam Medina
Back To WORSHIP Main